Discussion thread: Detective Conan 972-974

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 972-97X

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 13th, 2016, 8:10 am

AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Anyway I prefer the current Shuichi rather that young Shuichi...He seems to be more irritating and pretentious.And he doesn't care about his cute little sister he met for the first time, what a shame! I'm glad he disguised as Okiya, he became a better man after his faked death.

Spoiler:
Yeah, he really is a lot like Char Aznable, here, with his desire to avenge his father's apparent death, and misleading his mother about why he wanted to go to the U.S. I can't really comment on how he acts towards Masumi here, in terms of how Char treated Sayla Mass.

Maybe him seeing Rei/Tooru so vengeful towards him plays a part, too—to see just how much of a single-minded haze revenge can put someone in.

Wakarimashita wrote:
Spoiler:
Knowing Gosho, he'll pull back Mr.Akai from the dead. Like father like son, if you will.

KaitoRizu wrote:
Spoiler:
you can count me in... Akai's father is most likely alive... *sigh*

Spoiler:
Now whether he's Rum, Post-Coma Hyoue, both, or is none of the above, but, rather, someone else (just his own character, no disguise)... that's still up in the air.

There's really no point to all this hinting and teasing if he really is dead... it'd just be the "there wasn't a twist" twist... and people just love those, right? :-\
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
AICHAN

Curry time!

Postby AICHAN » September 13th, 2016, 2:52 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Anyway I prefer the current Shuichi rather that young Shuichi...He seems to be more irritating and pretentious.And he doesn't care about his cute little sister he met for the first time, what a shame! I'm glad he disguised as Okiya, he became a better man after his faked death.

Spoiler:
Yeah, he really is a lot like Char Aznable, here, with his desire to avenge his father's apparent death, and misleading his mother about why he wanted to go to the U.S. I can't really comment on how he acts towards Masumi here, in terms of how Char treated Sayla Mass.

Maybe him seeing Rei/Tooru so vengeful towards him plays a part, too—to see just how much of a single-minded haze revenge can put someone in.

Spoiler:
hmm Gundam again,really I'm tired with that...Gosho should stop all the gundam references,it was nice in the beginning but now it shows Gosho's lack of imagination :-\

Concerning Mary, if she's British, Conan should have noticed that when he first met the Mystery girl...maybe she's just half british.I'm so confused about her supposed link to Elena.
Spoiler:
[spoiler]Image

mangaluva wrote:[/spoiler]
"I've built a wall not to keep people out, but to see who loves me enough to climb over it."
ATEM

Postby ATEM » September 13th, 2016, 3:38 pm

Spoiler:
as shuichi , sera and haibara have japanese faces and the three look like Mary then we can conclude that Mary is also mixed and she has asian features !! she is Elena's sister so Elena is also half English or another suspected half sisters !!
Wakarimashita

Postby Wakarimashita » September 13th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Not necessarily. Hafus can look very japanese. Look at the wikipedia article, you really can't tell the girl is a hafu.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

Swagnarok

Postby Swagnarok » September 13th, 2016, 5:31 pm

ATEM wrote:
Spoiler:
as shuichi , sera and haibara have japanese faces and the three look like Mary then we can conclude that Mary is also mixed and she has asian features !! she is Elena's sister so Elena is also half English or another suspected half sisters !!

You have to keep in mind that Detective Conan is a cartoon, and not one that strives for ultra-realism in the appearance of its characters. It isn't really possible to conclude that any of the characters "have Japanese faces".
As the series has progressed, Haibara has actually become less Japanese in appearance. She originally had what was obviously brown hair, which is somewhere close to black, but nowadays her hair is a bit more reddish.
I'll provide a quick comparison.
Before: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki ... Before.jpg
After: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/File:705_01.png
Spoiler:
Cherry Blossoms raining down
Just like snow mingled with blood
The fallout from our terrible choices
From the heavens that have rejected us

My fanfic account:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7291651/Swagnarok
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » September 13th, 2016, 8:59 pm

Swagnarok wrote:You have to keep in mind that Detective Conan is a cartoon, and not one that strives for ultra-realism in the appearance of its characters. It isn't really possible to conclude that any of the characters "have Japanese faces".
As the series has progressed, Haibara has actually become less Japanese in appearance. She originally had what was obviously brown hair, which is somewhere close to black, but nowadays her hair is a bit more reddish.

The anime isn't really that good of a reference for that. They constantly change minor things like eye and hair color ever so slightly.
In the manga it was stated that Haibara was Hafu and that her hair was reddish brown, plus a lot of the color pages from right after
the time she was introduced as well as the keyhole for volume 18, show her hair color pretty consistently as a lighter brown color
really close to the same color as Hakuba's hair color.

Shuuichi, Masumi, and Mary all have Blue eyes in the manga like everyone else, but the anime made them Green for some reason.
Shuukichi's manga eyes are also Blue, but the anime made them a Grey like color, occasionally Blue-grey in some frames.
Haibara's eyes are Blue in both the manga and anime.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
ATEM

Postby ATEM » September 14th, 2016, 6:42 am

Swagnarok wrote:
ATEM wrote:
Spoiler:

You have to keep in mind that Detective Conan is a cartoon, and not one that strives for ultra-realism in the appearance of its characters. It isn't really possible to conclude that any of the characters "have Japanese faces".
I'll provide a quick comparison.
Before: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki ... Before.jpg
After: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/File:705_01.png

Spoiler:
I am not saying that they are japanese or not because of how gosho draws them , as for me excluding the blonde hair I don't find americans and japanese characters way of drawing is different ;D ;D
For akai , In new york when Ran saw him she reacted a japanese person with long hair so akai face is japanese and by considering the similarity between shuu and masumi so she also has a japanese face , Hiabara said herself that she has an asian face in fusea's case
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 14th, 2016, 7:04 am

AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
hmm Gundam again,really I'm tired with that...Gosho should stop all the gundam references,it was nice in the beginning but now it shows Gosho's lack of imagination :-\ .

Spoiler:
Even his sunglasses on, arms behind his head pose, here, is directly from a Gundam manga panel of Char doing the same thing.

I think they're fine, here—this is a 10-years-ago flashback, and it only pertains to Shuichi, himself. No Rei/Tooru involvement, here. Isn't the rivalry with Rei/Tooru that made people tired of the Gundam references? I hardly think 972 is worth the same level of complaint.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
k11chi

Postby k11chi » September 14th, 2016, 2:43 pm

Chapter looks great...
AICHAN

Curry time!

Postby AICHAN » September 14th, 2016, 3:08 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
hmm Gundam again,really I'm tired with that...Gosho should stop all the gundam references,it was nice in the beginning but now it shows Gosho's lack of imagination :-\ .

Spoiler:
Even his sunglasses on, arms behind his head pose, here, is directly from a Gundam manga panel of Char doing the same thing.

I think they're fine, here—this is a 10-years-ago flashback, and it only pertains to Shuichi, himself. No Rei/Tooru involvement, here. Isn't the rivalry with Rei/Tooru that made people tired of the Gundam references? I hardly think 972 is worth the same level of complaint.
Spoiler:
I'm not complaining that much,I love this file and I'm a huge Akai fan so this whole flashback case with him is like heaven to me...But as a reader I expect Gosho's story and characters to be original,different from other mangas.Now we always have to look at Gundam to see if there is another similarity with its characters and that's what bothers me.

I'm also a bit disappointed at half naked Akai, I expected him to have more abs XDXD (but I guess it's because he was too young for that XD)
Spoiler:
[spoiler]Image

mangaluva wrote:[/spoiler]
"I've built a wall not to keep people out, but to see who loves me enough to climb over it."
DCUniverseAficionado

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 14th, 2016, 3:18 pm

AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Now we always have to look at Gundam to see if there is another similarity with its characters and that's what bothers me.

Spoiler:
Except we don't. It's really each fan's choice to go looking for that kind of comparison, and deciding whether it will be like Gundam, or that it won't.

When Shuichi's words on Page 9 were translated, I just recalled that Char Aznable was an antagonist whose motives were based on the injustices done to him and his family in the past... it's just interesting to note how different Shuichi seems to have become, between this flashback and ten years later... how not like Char Aznable he is, in quite a few ways.
Kor
Administrator

Postby Kor » September 15th, 2016, 8:40 am

Spoiler:
Gosho managed to make this obnoxious in less than 2 pages. Mom hits Akai, Akai punching mom - what even is this nonsense? What's the point of this? What did Gosho try to achieve with this exchange? Why does Masumi show no reaction to learning that her stranger of a brother punched her mother? Is domestic violence a normal routine in their household? (well, at this point I wouldn't be too surprised to be honest considering both of Mary's sons seem to not quite care about her and both put quite a distance from her in the present).

Ah right, and this entire scenario that Akai, Yukiko, Shinichi and Ran all forgot about meeting each other back then is stupid and convenient. What's worse is the number of times Shinichi and Ran coincidentally met Akai across the world (and by extension the number of times Shinichi encountered Shuukichi just as well). It's all bad writing through and through.
Serinox

Postby Serinox » September 15th, 2016, 9:13 am

Kor wrote:
Spoiler:
Ah right, and this entire scenario that Akai, Yukiko, Shinichi and Ran all forgot about meeting each other back then is stupid and convenient. What's worse is the number of times Shinichi and Ran coincidentally met Akai across the world (and by extension the number of times Shinichi encountered Shuukichi just as well).

Spoiler:
I disagree. If anything, it's more stupid and convenient that Masumi and Shinichi (and to some extent Ran) remember everything so well. I doubt one remembers the face and names of a person they met on one day ten years ago (though Masumi might have a photo, but we have no proof of that). One might remember general events that happened some years back (if you can even pinpoint a year at that), but not detailed aspects of another person.

Ran met Shuichi twice before current time and Shinichi once (same number for Shinichi and Shukichi, though so far in the flashback it's not clear if they met back then). You make it sound like they run into him in every flashback.
k11chi

Postby k11chi » September 15th, 2016, 9:26 am

Spoiler:
Akai and Conan are bound by fate.
Like a bloody stream
Wakarimashita

Postby Wakarimashita » September 15th, 2016, 9:46 am

Kor wrote:
Spoiler:
Gosho managed to make this obnoxious in less than 2 pages. Mom hits Akai, Akai punching mom - what even is this nonsense? What's the point of this? What did Gosho try to achieve with this exchange? Why does Masumi show no reaction to learning that her stranger of a brother punched her mother? Is domestic violence a normal routine in their household? (well, at this point I wouldn't be too surprised to be honest considering both of Mary's sons seem to not quite care about her and both put quite a distance from her in the present).

Ah right, and this entire scenario that Akai, Yukiko, Shinichi and Ran all forgot about meeting each other back then is stupid and convenient. What's worse is the number of times Shinichi and Ran coincidentally met Akai across the world (and by extension the number of times Shinichi encountered Shuukichi just as well). It's all bad writing through and through.

Spoiler:
I completely agree. I hope the case is at least decent enough to make up for this trainwreck.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"