Discussion thread: Detective Conan 969-971

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Themaninarmor

It's not about me

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 969-971

Postby Themaninarmor » September 4th, 2016, 1:51 am

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Swagnarok wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:
Swagnarok wrote:If Masumi's from England, does that mean there may be a connection between her and Elena (who is also from England)?

well...she is kind of her aunt, so that should be enough of a connection. Sera probably never met her though.

I'm not so sure that Mary is Masumi's mother. The only evidence for this is whenever she referred to Mary as "mama". When you really think about it, though, this is a very unusual thing for a girl who is nearly an adult to call her mother. Most people would simply say "Mom" (or, if you're from the UK, "Mum"). Mama implies an unusually high degree of attachment, and to my knowledge is normally used by adults only in rural parts of the United States or perhaps among members of the Black-American community.
That's just my opinion though.

When Masumi was introduced, she was referring to Kogoro as Ran's "papa", so its a bit more safe to assume that she is referring to Mary as her mother. Also its normal for a japanese speaker to use, as japanese does have a decent amount of english loan words now. As "mama" was written in Japanese katakana, rather than english like other words (ex: Case Closed, Rum, ect. ), its more than likely just that Gosho is having her use that word on preference for that character.

Well another thing about the woman (Mary?) is she said "shinigami" not "demon" or evil spirit even when they were in England at that time... So i think she was not pure british and elena is not pure british too but i forget where it stated, are they related somehow? Oh about the case ten years ago involving shinichi will that be related to a fake spirit detective??
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
Spimer

Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Postby Spimer » September 4th, 2016, 6:01 am

I don't recally anyone saying Elena isn't pure British.

And we don't know if Elena and Mary are related in any manner yet.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Jesse Sravya

Postby Jesse Sravya » September 4th, 2016, 10:19 am

According to the interview by Gosho, Two mother characters are sisters. In which Shuichi's mom was one. So (if) we assume Mary as one of them, then we should be looking for a character that's acquainted with UK and Japan. Elena clearly satisfies it.
Goblin Alchemist

Postby Goblin Alchemist » September 4th, 2016, 12:27 pm

It just seems a bit odd if we add all the assumptions together.

1) Mary is a shrunken adult
2) Elena and Mary are sisters
3) Mary is MI6

...So that means that one sibling is MI6 and the other is actually in the BO?? Would they actively be working AGAINST each other? Did Elena secretly ferret info to Mary in the hopes of bringing down the BO? It doesn't make much sense if all the assumptions end up being correct.
k11chi

Postby k11chi » September 4th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Goblin Alchemist wrote:It just seems a bit odd if we add all the assumptions together.

1) Mary is a shrunken adult
2) Elena and Mary are sisters
3) Mary is MI6

...So that means that one sibling is MI6 and the other is actually in the BO?? Would they actively be working AGAINST each other? Did Elena secretly ferret info to Mary in the hopes of bringing down the BO? It doesn't make much sense if all the assumptions end up being correct.

APTX was supposed to be some sort of dream drug, it's not like Elena would be just some evil bastard. She probably just saw the opporturnity to create something in the BO.
Goblin Alchemist

Postby Goblin Alchemist » September 4th, 2016, 12:45 pm

k11chi wrote:APTX was supposed to be some sort of dream drug, it's not like Elena would be just some evil bastard. She probably just saw the opporturnity to create something in the BO.

Still seems a bit odd that she would join an organization that, at best, used sketchy means to achieve their ends.

Of course this still opens up theories that Mary might have joined MI6 after Elena's death specifically so she could investigate the BO and avenge her sister. But then that opens up plot holes regarding the timeline of the formation of the current APTX 4869 and shrinking Mary successfully (instead of killing her) and then shrinking Shinichi (who was supposed to be the first "official" use of the toxin to kill).

My head hurts...
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » September 4th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Themaninarmor wrote:Well another thing about the woman (Mary?) is she said "shinigami" not "demon" or evil spirit even when they were in England at that time... So i think she was not pure british and elena is not pure british too but i forget where it stated, are they related somehow? Oh about the case ten years ago involving shinichi will that be related to a fake spirit detective??

It hasn't been stated 100% certain that they were in England. Conan just thought of the word "England" which triggered his memory of what looks like the resolution to what ever case type scenario arose back then. England could just be related to the solution. Such as the difference in waves and ocean current flow between Japan and England (since we know waves play some role in the case)

OR

They did go to England, but like in the London case, by pure coincidence the main cast happens to run into some of the few Japanese speakers there. Resulting in Gosho not having to write every text bubble in the whole case in English with Japanese text underneath. He made Vermouth and Jodie switch back to Japanese as well.
ImageImage
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Swagnarok

Postby Swagnarok » September 4th, 2016, 4:38 pm

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Swagnarok wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:
Swagnarok wrote:If Masumi's from England, does that mean there may be a connection between her and Elena (who is also from England)?

well...she is kind of her aunt, so that should be enough of a connection. Sera probably never met her though.

I'm not so sure that Mary is Masumi's mother. The only evidence for this is whenever she referred to Mary as "mama". When you really think about it, though, this is a very unusual thing for a girl who is nearly an adult to call her mother. Most people would simply say "Mom" (or, if you're from the UK, "Mum"). Mama implies an unusually high degree of attachment, and to my knowledge is normally used by adults only in rural parts of the United States or perhaps among members of the Black-American community.
That's just my opinion though.

When Masumi was introduced, she was referring to Kogoro as Ran's "papa", so its a bit more safe to assume that she is referring to Mary as her mother. Also its normal for a japanese speaker to use, as japanese does have a decent amount of english loan words now. As "mama" was written in Japanese katakana, rather than english like other words (ex: Case Closed, Rum, ect. ), its more than likely just that Gosho is having her use that word on preference for that character.

Ah, okay. If Masumi said that then Mary could very well be her mother.
Still, though, if Mary and Elena were sisters then that would mean Shuichi fell in love with his first cousin.
(P.S. How do you add signatures?)
Spoiler:
Cherry Blossoms raining down
Just like snow mingled with blood
The fallout from our terrible choices
From the heavens that have rejected us

My fanfic account:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7291651/Swagnarok
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » September 4th, 2016, 6:07 pm

Swagnarok wrote:
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:When Masumi was introduced, she was referring to Kogoro as Ran's "papa", so its a bit more safe to assume that she is referring to Mary as her mother. Also its normal for a japanese speaker to use, as japanese does have a decent amount of english loan words now. As "mama" was written in Japanese katakana, rather than english like other words (ex: Case Closed, Rum, ect. ), its more than likely just that Gosho is having her use that word on preference for that character.

Ah, okay. If Masumi said that then Mary could very well be her mother.
Still, though, if Mary and Elena were sisters then that would mean Shuichi fell in love with his first cousin.
(P.S. How do you add signatures?)

Which is already something that Conan has considered. Chances are we will get some form of explanation eventually, maybe even in this flashback since we will have a few members of their family and something could slip out.

(For signatures, you click the profile icon in the top right. On the new page click on the "profile" tab, and it should be the second item in the list under that, "edit signature".)
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Jesse Sravya

Postby Jesse Sravya » September 8th, 2016, 11:55 am

September 14 is so far. Is there a site which launches DC magazines too?
Spimer

Postby Spimer » September 8th, 2016, 12:48 pm

@Jesse: what do you mean by "launching"? Do you mean releases? No, there's not an official site.

It's a magazine, you're supossed to buy it physically (not sure if it's got a digital release): besides, Conan is but one of several manga printed in that magazine: Conan doesn't have an exclusive magazine.
Jesse Sravya

Postby Jesse Sravya » September 8th, 2016, 1:41 pm

@Spimer: Oh. That makes it clear. Thanks :)
Spimer

Postby Spimer » September 8th, 2016, 4:32 pm

It's nothing. Maybe we'll get text spoilers on Saturday which will give us an insight on the file's contents.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » September 8th, 2016, 10:51 pm

chapter 771 was the first time that Conan thought that he may have met Masumi before, now 201 chapters later, are we finally ready to find out what really happened? How many questions will really be answered? How many more will be raised? What magic will be performed?

---

If the case seems to be themed on waves crashing into the shore, why is Gosho hinting at it being the "Ripples series" ? It makes me think of how small ripples far out in the ocean can cause huge waves by the time they reach the shore. I wonder how that will tie in to the case part? Maybe someone is artificially effecting the tides in order to scare people away from the beach so they can dig for buried treasure? No, No, No that sounds far to much like Scooby-Doo.
ImageImage
AMY 99

"somewhere , something incredible is waiting to be known."

Postby AMY 99 » September 9th, 2016, 8:17 am

Does anyone know why the spoiler pics of file 972 haven't come out yet?