Discussion thread: Detective Conan 969-971

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Kor
Administrator

Re: Discussion thread: Detective Conan 969-971

Postby Kor » September 2nd, 2016, 5:26 am

Jesse Sravya wrote:I'm just super excited. when is manga 972 releasing? ;D

Officially released in Japan on September 14th. We might get spoilers a few days before that.
MrDetective

Irregular Scans staff

Postby MrDetective » September 2nd, 2016, 5:58 am

Do we all agree this was the silliest dying message of the entire series ?
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 2nd, 2016, 7:32 am

MrDetective wrote:Do we all agree this was the silliest dying message of the entire series ?

Explain, please.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Viper

Postby Viper » September 2nd, 2016, 7:38 am

MrDetective wrote:Do we all agree this was the silliest dying message of the entire series ?

I do, but you have to understand the victim, it's hard to think of a good message when your chloroform-induced sleep is interrupted by someone strangling you.
MoonRaven

DCTP's 赤死
-
Cbox: Akai Tsuki
-
The paranoid and homicidial townie of DCTP Mafia

Postby MoonRaven » September 2nd, 2016, 9:50 am

I think the dying message was brilliant!
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:Never ignore coincidence. Unless you are busy. Then always ignore the coincidence.

My dA There is one file for solely DC drawings.
My FF I have two DC fics: Rose in the Ecplipse of the Sun(or RitEotS) and Dream... or Not(or just DoN). The latter one still ongoing and has a spin-off Leap to Relatively Unknown.
My Tumblr

Dream or Not finished at 72 chapters

Chapter 29 of Leap to Relatively Unknown updated 13.4.18

Chapter 3 of the sequel, Leaping into the Dream updated 17.9.18

Chapter 2 of The Crow's Song updated 19.7.18
k11chi

Postby k11chi » September 2nd, 2016, 10:40 am

It was clever as it works better in a graphic novel format and Gosho uses that to his strengths pretty well. If it had been a bunch of dialogue trying to explain it I think it would have seemed pretty winged and silly.

I can guess some old case dying messages will seems sillier simply because of the bad scan quality, the visual clues are hard to pick up.
Vinnie

Postby Vinnie » September 2nd, 2016, 12:25 pm

Such a good case.

Ohh, England? I can almost smell "MI6" :))))) (related to Mary) ! I'm ready for a flashback.
estuputri

Postby estuputri » September 3rd, 2016, 9:03 am

Spoiler:
yeyy! Finally we'll go back to ten years ago!
Miliolina

Postby Miliolina » September 3rd, 2016, 1:19 pm

I wonder why Conan remembers the people saying these exact words back then.

Spoiler:
Shuichi: "Who are you?"
Masumi: "A Wizard!"
Mary(?): "Possessed by a shinigami."
???: "It's scary...like being possessed by something."

If he can remember them 10 years later...are these words related to him?

The first scenario I thought of was another murder or a series of murder ("Possessed by a shinigami."/"It's scary...like being possessed by something.") It would make sense since Shinichi/Conan attracts murderers, hence is possessed by a shinigami. The "scary"-Part could also refer to the culprit or the victim...
Shinichi solves the case and explains the trick behind it like "A Wizard!" and impresses everyone since he is still a child ("Who are you?")

But that would be too obvious, right? I mean, that would mean he solves the case before Mary/Shuichi does.

Anyways, I'm very excited and can't wait ;D ;D
"Tomorrow the black birds would come." - Jean-Paul Sartre
Swagnarok

Postby Swagnarok » September 3rd, 2016, 1:24 pm

If Masumi's from England, does that mean there may be a connection between her and Elena (who is also from England)?
Spoiler:
Cherry Blossoms raining down
Just like snow mingled with blood
The fallout from our terrible choices
From the heavens that have rejected us

My fanfic account:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7291651/Swagnarok
k11chi

Postby k11chi » September 3rd, 2016, 1:27 pm

Miliolina wrote:I wonder why Conan remembers the people saying these exact words back then.

Spoiler:
Shuichi: "Who are you?"
Masumi: "A Wizard!"
Mary(?): "Possessed by a shinigami."
???: "It's scary...like being possessed by something."

If he can remember them 10 years later...are these words related to him?

The first scenario I thought of was another murder or a series of murder ("Possessed by a shinigami."/"It's scary...like being possessed by something.") It would make sense since Shinichi/Conan attracts murderers, hence is possessed by a shinigami. The "scary"-Part could also refer to the culprit or the victim...
Shinichi solves the case and explains the trick behind it like "A Wizard!" and impresses everyone since he is still a child ("Who are you?")

But that would be too obvious, right? I mean, that would mean he solves the case before Mary/Shuichi does.

Anyways, I'm very excited and can't wait ;D ;D

Well it's the most possible scenario but it could be related to someone he was with back then, we'll see. Atleast the Wizard should Now be Conan if it wasn't in the past.
MeiTanteixX

Postby MeiTanteixX » September 3rd, 2016, 1:49 pm

Swagnarok wrote:If Masumi's from England, does that mean there may be a connection between her and Elena (who is also from England)?

well...she is kind of her aunt, so that should be enough of a connection. Sera probably never met her though.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Swagnarok

Postby Swagnarok » September 3rd, 2016, 2:06 pm

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Swagnarok wrote:If Masumi's from England, does that mean there may be a connection between her and Elena (who is also from England)?

well...she is kind of her aunt, so that should be enough of a connection. Sera probably never met her though.

I'm not so sure that Mary is Masumi's mother. The only evidence for this is whenever she referred to Mary as "mama". When you really think about it, though, this is a very unusual thing for a girl who is nearly an adult to call her mother. Most people would simply say "Mom" (or, if you're from the UK, "Mum"). Mama implies an unusually high degree of attachment, and to my knowledge is normally used by adults only in rural parts of the United States or perhaps among members of the Black-American community.
That's just my opinion though.
Spoiler:
Cherry Blossoms raining down
Just like snow mingled with blood
The fallout from our terrible choices
From the heavens that have rejected us

My fanfic account:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7291651/Swagnarok
Miliolina

Postby Miliolina » September 3rd, 2016, 2:12 pm

Swagnarok wrote:
I'm not so sure that Mary is Masumi's mother. The only evidence for this is whenever she referred to Mary as "mama". When you really think about it, though, this is a very unusual thing for a girl who is nearly an adult to call her mother. Most people would simply say "Mom" (or, if you're from the UK, "Mum"). Mama implies an unusually high degree of attachment, and to my knowledge is normally used by adults only in rural parts of the United States or perhaps among members of the Black-American community.

I also think there is more to that than meets the eye.
But "Mama" is actually a very common appellation for mother in Europe. Especially in German-speaking areas and the Netherlands.
"Tomorrow the black birds would come." - Jean-Paul Sartre
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » September 3rd, 2016, 9:53 pm

Swagnarok wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:

When Masumi was introduced, she was referring to Kogoro as Ran's "papa", so its a bit more safe to assume that she is referring to Mary as her mother. Also its normal for a japanese speaker to use, as japanese does have a decent amount of english loan words now. As "mama" was written in Japanese katakana, rather than english like other words (ex: Case Closed, Rum, ect. ), its more than likely just that Gosho is having her use that word on preference for that character.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage