Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 963-965

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Kor
Administrator

Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 963-965

Post by Kor »

As stated in the above image, please continue to use spoiler boxes for the first seven days in which a file is available. However, due to legal restrictions, we kindly ask that you do NOT post any links in this topic to any Japanese raw files or English scanlations. For more information on this matter, please click here.

File 963 text spoilers:
Spoiler:
■次郎吉登場!!ということはもちろん……!?

ある未亡人が、次郎吉に「木神」と名付けられた絡繰箱を持ってくる
三水吉右衛門の作で、亡き主人は開け方を寄贈した本の中に挟んでいたという
中身は世界最大の月長石「月の記憶(ルナ・メモリア)」

FILE963 木神

ネット上に次郎吉が出した「挑戦状」をコナンが見ていると
あなた「も」呼ばれてるんでしょ、早く支度して、と灰原にせっつかれる
コナンだけでなく、灰原も亜笠も呼ばれている
例によって、沖矢が肉じゃが持って話に加わろうとするが
殺人事件ではないので早々に退散
亜笠家を出たところを何者か(※)に撮られる

その後、免許証を探して出遅れた亜笠も(※)に撮られる

次郎吉の図書館では、園子が小五郎と蘭を待っている
コナンたちはすでに中にいる
小五郎は夏風邪をこじらせていて役に立ちそうにないのだが
園子はキッドに逢えるように、と
変装のカモを増やすべくヨーコのコンサートチケットで小五郎を釣った
なお、今回警察は館内に入らず外で待機

小五郎が何も考えずに絡繰箱をこじ開けようとすると
箱に仕込まれた針に刺され指をケガ 亜笠が先に餌食になってる
いっそ鋸でぶった切ろう、と小五郎が言うと未亡人は拒否
箱自体も価値あるもので、中身も月の光に似た青い光彩が輝く一品
沖矢「アデュラレッセンス… その特殊効果が見られるブルームーンストーンは価値が高い…
    しかもその大きさなら…確かに三水吉右衛門の絡繰箱と釣り合うかもしれませんね…」
興味ないと言っておきながらやってくる
亜笠の知り合いだと話したら警察もノーチェックだったとか
それどころか、次郎吉は今回
あからさまな怪盗キッドファンでもなければ一般客素通し
絡繰箱は誰でもいじれるようにしてあり
箱の置かれたテーブルの下の床に仕掛けた重量センサーで
持ち逃げする者がいれば檻が降ってくるし、連動して全館の鋼鉄製シャッターが閉まる
箱を開けることができた者がいれば、亡き主人が一緒に入れたオルゴールが鳴る

むやみに絡繰箱そのものをいじるより、亡き主人が寄贈した本を探した方が早そうだ
次郎吉が沖矢たちを本のある部屋へ案内すると……蔵書は実に1万冊以上
次郎吉「探しがいがあるじゃろ?」
コナン(ありすぎだろ…)
■手掛かりは夥しき書物の中に―――「木神」を真っ先に開けるのは誰だ…!?
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 963-96X

Post by Spimer »

Translation of the text spoilers:

NO BREAK NEXT WEEK
Spoiler:
First page's side-note: "Jirokichi has appeared! So that obviously means that...!?"

A widow brings Jirokichi a trick box named "Tree God" said to be a work by Samizu Kichiemon, her late husband stuffed the instructions to open it on a book he donated to Jirokichi: the box contains the world's largest moonstone (Moon Memories [Luna Memoria]).

File 963: Tree God

Conan sees Jirokichi's "challenge" on the net: Haibara tells him to get ready because she's sure he's also been called as well: turns out she and Agasa have been called in as well.

Okiya shows up with the stew, as usual, and joins their talk but since it's not a murder case then he quickly leaves the scene yet, when he exits the Agasa house, someone takes a photo of him.

Shortly afterward, Agasa, who's coming out late since he didn't find his driving license, gets a photo taken as well.

Sonoko is waiting with Ran and Kogoro at Jirokichi's library: Conan and the others are already there.

Kogoro has a summer cold which is aggravated and doesn't look like he'll be of much help but Sonoko, who wants to meet Kid, decided to give him plenty of candidates to disguise as and lured him in telling him she had tickets for a Yoko Okino concert.

The police are on standy on the outside this time.

Kogoro tries to open the trick box but gets a needle stabbed on a finger and Agasa becomes the prey (of his anger?). Kogoro says they cut off the box with a saw but the widow refuses: the box is also valuable and the inside glows in a blue color like the moonlight.

Okiya: "Adularescence... The blue moon stones that display this special effect are quite valuable... What's more: if it's this big... It might indeed fit with the trick box by Samizu Kichiemon..."

Okiya has come despite he'd said he wasn't interested: he told the police he was a friend of Agasa and they didn't check him. Jirokichi says that this time he doesn't mind if plain customers who aren't Kid fans come: he's placed the box so that everyone can touch it.

There's a weight sensor below the ground of table where the trick box is placed at so if someone tried to grab and run away a cage would drop and the steel shutters of the whole mansion would close as well.

The widow says that if someone managed to unlock the box the music box her late husband placed inside would ring as well.

Instead of trying to open it at random, it'd be faster to find the book her late husband donated with the instructions or so she suggests.

Jirokichi leads the group to the room with the book... and turns out the library in this room has over 10,000 books on it!

Jirokichi: "You can search for it here, can you?"
Conan (There's too many of them...)

Side-note: "The hints are within a lot of books... Who'll be the one that'll be able to open the "Tree God"?"
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Spoiler:
The Kid Killer is called in for a case... The setup is pretty interesting once again and creative. Can this be only 3 chapters though there's no hint of Kid yet but we'll see...
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Spimer wrote:Translation of the text spoilers:

NO BREAK NEXT WEEK
Spoiler:
First page's side-note: "Jirokichi has appeared! So that obviously means that...!?"

A widow brings Jirokichi a trick box named "Tree God" said to be a work by Samizu Kichiemon, her late husband stuffed the instructions to open it on a book he donated to Jirokichi: the box contains the world's largest moonstone (Moon Memories [Luna Memoria]).

File 963: Tree God

Conan sees Jirokichi's "challenge" on the net: Haibara tells him to get ready because she's sure he's also been called as well: turns out she and Agasa have been called in as well.

Okiya shows up with the stew, as usual, and joins their talk but since it's not a murder case then he quickly leaves the scene yet, when he exits the Agasa house, someone takes a photo of him.

Shortly afterward, Agasa, who's coming out late since he didn't find his driving license, gets a photo taken as well.

Sonoko is waiting with Ran and Kogoro at Jirokichi's library: Conan and the others are already there.

Kogoro has a summer cold which is aggravated and doesn't look like he'll be of much help but Sonoko, who wants to meet Kid, decided to give him plenty of candidates to disguise as and lured him in telling him she had tickets for a Yoko Okino concert.

The police are on standy on the outside this time.

Kogoro tries to open the trick box but gets a needle stabbed on a finger and Agasa becomes the prey (of his anger?). Kogoro says they cut off the box with a saw but the widow refuses: the box is also valuable and the inside glows in a blue color like the moonlight.

Okiya: "Adularescence... The blue moon stones that display this special effect are quite valuable... What's more: if it's this big... It might indeed fit with the trick box by Samizu Kichiemon..."

Okiya has come despite he'd said he wasn't interested: he told the police he was a friend of Agasa and they didn't check him. Jirokichi says that this time he doesn't mind if plain customers who aren't Kid fans come: he's placed the box so that everyone can touch it.

There's a weight sensor below the ground of table where the trick box is placed at so if someone tried to grab and run away a cage would drop and the steel shutters of the whole mansion would close as well.

The widow says that if someone managed to unlock the box the music box her late husband placed inside would ring as well.

Instead of trying to open it at random, it'd be faster to find the book her late husband donated with the instructions or so she suggests.

Jirokichi leads the group to the room with the book... and turns out the library in this room has over 10,000 books on it!

Jirokichi: "You can search for it here, can you?"
Conan (There's too many of them...)

Side-note: "The hints are within a lot of books... Who'll be the one that'll be able to open the "Tree God"?"
Spoiler:
Shuichi/Subaru in this one? Hmm... who took a picture of him and Agasa? Masumi? Vermouth?

Kid disguising as Subaru would be unexpected—if he did, then either Masumi or Vermouth took the picture, and this will be revealed by the end of the case. If he didn't, the possibility that Masumi or Vermouth took the picture is still there—thing is, Kid could've taken it, for some reason (though I personally don't think this is likely).

Ran, Kogoro, Sonoko, Jirokichi and even Agasa are suspects for Kid to impersonate—I'd rank Agasa being the one as unexpected as Subaru, but the rest are each far more likely.

4 of the last 6 Kid cases (all of which are Bourbon arc ones) were 3 Files. Purple Nail and Kirin's Horn were the only ones that weren't. We'll see how soon Shinichi/Conan makes his "I got it" face on the last page—if this doesn't happen next file, then we've got our first 4 file Kid case in over 6 and 1/2 years.

I'm getting a Kirin's Horn vibe from this case... or a Kichiemon vibe, at least, so I think this case will be 4 files instead of 3.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
MoonRaven
DCTP's 赤死
-
Cbox: Akai Tsuki
-
The paranoid and homicidial townie of DCTP Mafia

Post by MoonRaven »

Spoiler:
Tree God? I'm getting Naruto vibes here and just waiting a rabbit goddess named Kaguya to appear...
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:Never ignore coincidence. Unless you are busy. Then always ignore the coincidence.
My dA
My AO3
My FF
My Tumblr
Dream or Not finished at 72 chapters

Chapter 33 of Leap to Relatively Unknown updated 12.9.20

Chapter 8 of the sequel, Leaping into the Dream updated 6.10.19

Chapter 2 of The Crow's Song updated 19.7.18
AICHAN
Curry time!

Post by AICHAN »

Spoiler:
Hmm Okiya in a Kid case,that looks nice...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mangaluva wrote:
"I've built a wall not to keep people out, but to see who loves me enough to climb over it."
[/quote]
PirateKing

Post by PirateKing »

Spoiler:
The "mysterious person" taking pictures of Okiya and Agasa is definitely a red herring to the reader, which can be interpreted in two ways :

1. Gosho wants us to think that the mysterious person is someone from the BO who is investigating Okiya, which means that we're supposed to think the Okiya who arrives is actually the real Okiya. But it turns out it's actually Kid who was taking the photos, and the Okiya who arrives is actually Kid in disguise.

2. Gosho wants us to think the mysterious person is actually Kid who is "scouting" for people to disguise as, and since he's taken a picture of Okiya, who has conveniently arrived on the case, we're supposed to think that this Okiya is actually Kid in disguise, and let down our guard. But it will later turn out that it was the real Okiya all along, and Kid was disguised as someone else. But that springs a new question - who took the photograph of Okiya, and your guess is as good as mine.

So my prediction is that the case will swing either one of those two ways.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

PirateKing wrote:
Spoiler:
The "mysterious person" taking pictures of Okiya and Agasa is definitely a red herring to the reader, which can be interpreted in two ways :

1. Gosho wants us to think that the mysterious person is someone from the BO who is investigating Okiya, which means that we're supposed to think the Okiya who arrives is actually the real Okiya. But it turns out it's actually Kid who was taking the photos, and the Okiya who arrives is actually Kid in disguise.

2. Gosho wants us to think the mysterious person is actually Kid who is "scouting" for people to disguise as, and since he's taken a picture of Okiya, who has conveniently arrived on the case, we're supposed to think that this Okiya is actually Kid in disguise, and let down our guard. But it will later turn out that it was the real Okiya all along, and Kid was disguised as someone else. But that springs a new question - who took the photograph of Okiya, and your guess is as good as mine.

So my prediction is that the case will swing either one of those two ways.
Spoiler:
Literally the only other explanations that I can think of are

3. Its one of Amuro's men from the police. After Amuro's suspicion of Okiya was reunited in that recent case, and knowing that there is an inventor living next door who has an invention that is a voice changing collar that was pulled from shelves, he may be investigating both of them again.

4. Its a character that is specific to this case only who some how knew that they would be involved in this case ahead of time. Such as someone who works for Jirokichi or someone related to the current owner of the box. The pictures could have been slipped into the box somehow as a surprise.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Ethereall

Post by Ethereall »

Is a photograph really enough for Kid to impersonate someone? At the very least, he'd need the right voice too no?
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Ethereall wrote:Is a photograph really enough for Kid to impersonate someone? At the very least, he'd need the right voice too no?
For Agasa and Okiya? He could have easily heard them talking at any point during Mystery Train (Well Agasa at any other point in time that he was present in a Kid case). Plus if he was the one taking photos he would have been close enough again to hear them speak again. The interesting part would be if it is Kaitou Kid, he would be impersonating a voice changing device.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Sometimes Gosho has done those short, easy 2-chapter cases and in this Kid hasn't appeared but if it's easier than those Kirin's horn or miracle airwalk cases and whatever then I can still see it ending in 3 chapters. Chances are it'll be longer if next chapter ends with something like Kid disappearing with the gem or opening something or even longer if it's Kid managing to infiltrate and drop a card somewhere.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

anti-climactic spoiler images
Spoiler:
ImageImage
ImageImage
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:anti-climactic spoiler images
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Then again that completely shows the whole thing... In other words it was part of how he works after all. It'll be a 3 chapter case most likely now..
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Some details about the case:
Spoiler:
. The widow's name is Tomoyose Kimika (70), her husband has recently died. She brought the trick box and some books to Jirokichi because she wants him to find out the instructions to open it which are stuffed in one of the books she brought: she wishes to retrieve the Moon Stone inside: she knows it's the type of big jewel Kaito Kid likes chasing

. Okiya brings the stew and says that he properly boiled the vegetables since last time he was scolded by Haibara that they weren't properly boiled: he seems interested in the mention of Samizu Kichiemon

Haibara: "What. You want to come as well?"
Okiya: "No, no. I'll leave this here and go back home. I'm not interested in thieves anyway. However... I have a slight interest in types who don't steal things but lives...
* once Okiya has left *
Haibara: "It's already summer and yet he still wears a high collar. What's with that guy?"
Agasa: "Maybe he's sensible to cold?"
Conan (thinking): "Well. You need a high neck to be able to hide the choker voice-changer..."

. Someone takes a photo of Okiya and he seems to notice it and raises the guard: same happens to Agasa later.

. Kogoro and Ran are at the library and Kogoro got lured by Sonoko with the promise of first row tickets for Okino Yoko's concert: Sonoko and Jirokichi get a photo taken as well.

. Jirokichi has the police wait outside and he doesn't bother to check if anyone's wearing a mask

. Kid is disguised as a SWAT team officer: he was about to take a photo of Nakamori but doesn't once he hears that the police aren't coming inside, so it's pointless to disguise as Nakamori: he looks at the photos of the candidates and picks someone

. Kogoro clumsily tries to open the box only for a needle to come out and stab his finger: he drops it and a small fan with the text "punishment" shows up.

Haibara: "As expected of Samizu Kichiemon"
Conan (thinking): "Feels like a miniature Iron Tanuki"

. Kogoro, annoyed, suggests tearing the box apart but Ms. Tomoyose says she won't authorize that. The box is also very valuable: but then Sonoko and Ran butt in commenting that moon stones aren't THAT valuable: they've seen them being sold in the net for 10,000 Yen (aprox. 94 USD).

. The widow says this isn't the case: this stone was brought from Sri Lanka by her late husband and that glows in a special blue color like the moon

. Okiya suddenly shows up and gives out the name of that type of stone and adds that it's valuable and its size may make it fit with the trick box

Haibara: "Didn't you say you weren't interested?"
Okiya: "I got picked, you see..."
Conan: "I'm surprised they let you in..."

. He told the police he was a friend of Agasa and they lit him in with no face check: this Jirokichi's plan this time around. The box is atop a table and there are no guards: but if anyone tries to take it off the table a cage will immediately drop in and trap them inside due to the weight sensor activating: same will happen if you open the box and steal the jewel inside

. The widow adds that there's a music box inside that rings whenever it's opened so it can't be opened in silence either: Conan asks what the melody is: the widow replies that she forgot the exact melody because it's been over 10 years since her husband lastly opened the box: she used to think it was a famous nursery rhyme or something like that but it'd seem it isn't the case.

. Jirokichi adds that once the cage drops the building's steetl shutters placed at all entrances and exits will immediately drop at the same time the cage does thus sealing off the whole building

. Conan thinks that the widow really wants to open the box even if that means asking Kid to help her out

. The widow explains that she saw his husband stuff a paper with the instructions to open the box in a book: she tried to search for it one day and he told her she wouldn't be to find neither the paper or the box's contents

. Kogoro asks why would the husband hide the jewel from her and she says she doesn't know and the husband was very shy: Kogoro is baffled and she corrects herself saying that the "moon stone" is said to bestow love and maybe he didn't want to admit he really cared about the stoe

. Jirokichi knew the husband in person and they'd gone into adventures together and recalls he was indeed the tymid type of person

. Kogoro asks if there's a reply from Kid to the challenge and there is:an email that said "I'll come get the Moon Stone in the name of the Magician under the Moonlight!" was sent to Jirokichi a lil while ago

. Okiya suggests finding the paper if they want to open it before Kid does: Jirokichi leads them to a huge room with a lot of books and challlenges his guests to find the book in there

. To be continued in the next number...
Last edited by Spimer on June 15th, 2016, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
AICHAN
Curry time!

Post by AICHAN »

Thanks Spimmer
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mangaluva wrote:
"I've built a wall not to keep people out, but to see who loves me enough to climb over it."
[/quote]