Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 958-962

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 958-96X

Post by Spimer »

Case info:
Spoiler:
. Yokomizo Sango shows up with the police
. Conan, Heiji, Ran & Kazuha sum up what's happened insofar
. The novelist tells Sango about the "nue" and Sango begins to say nonsense like it's been lurking in the forest for years
. Conan & Heiji think he's starting to look like Yamamura
. Sango wants to ask his superiors if he can ask for JSDF reinforcements (he really believes the "nue" lurks around)

. The Mayor mutters that he was thinking it was going to rain: he felt a drip a water and a sound like a carbonic drink's cap was opened
. The novelist admits that she wanted to make a mix of white wine and carbonated water but she accidentally splattered that until the window yet if it'd jumped out then Conan & Heiji would've also been stained
. She then stares at the writer and calls him "indecent" for drinking next to the window
. The writer says he was abandoned by his parents when he was a kid and didn't have a proper raising: and he didn't splatter the outside with his drink either

. Conan finds the small round white lumps on the ground and Heiji mutters that these allow for someone to start a fire without the need of matches or lighters
. Both then start to discuss how the archaelogist was murdered: they go over some possibilities but get stuck even after investigating the 2 suspects' belongings
. Both see the girls trying to feed the dog but it doesn't want to eat
. The dog barked both times the cry rang out but it didn't when the "monster" appeared

. Both then realize the culprit and the trick and gather some materials: Kazuha shows Heiji a photo of the excavation team and says that the foreigner in the middle of the photo looks like the writer: the guys go to ready the trick

Kazuha: "I don't feel a premonition of love at all..."
Ran: "Yeah... Right..."

. The guys begin to do something while saying that the trick only works at night: Conan suspects Heiji wants to do something else before the Sun rises and Heiji tries to elude the topic

. 4AM: everyone is awake and called to the outside of hotel: the scenery of when the "monster" appeared is there again
. The "monster" appears: Kazuha calls out for Heiji and his hand is seen gripping the corner of the building behind the monster...
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
KaitoRizu

Post by KaitoRizu »

Spimer wrote:
Spoiler:
. The writer says he was abandoned by his parents when he was a kid and didn't have a proper raising
I had a feeling that this was going to come up sooner or later... so I guess the author really is his mother...
Thanks for the SS Kamite! ;D
Spoiler:
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Very interested in seeing this case in the anime with the change of daytimes going on...
Shihœiji

Post by Shihœiji »

KaitoRizu wrote:
Spimer wrote:
Spoiler:
. The writer says he was abandoned by his parents when he was a kid and didn't have a proper raising
I had a feeling that this was going to come up sooner or later... so I guess the author really is his mother...
I agree. So the novelist's motive would be the same as the reporter's. Now it's more hard to understand how the trick is set with t-shirts, tools, a mop, a box, a brush, spray paint, adhesives, sewing tools, a knife and a pen (or ink).
The adhesives and the paint could serve for a mini-signboard. The sewing tools could take back the second murder's weapon (needles?). I guess T-shirts are used to lit the fire, maybe with the ink. The brush and the box seem useless for any trick, but the knife was clearly used for the signboard bite. I don't think it's the first murder's weapon because of the blood test.
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

Spoiler:
So, this photo shows the deceased foreigner Charles Abel in the middle with other members of the excavation team from 16 years ago:

The miner to the right kinda looks like the first victim, Yasukatsu Someji

And the miner to the bottom left kinda looks like the second victim, Michiki Tanzawa

With the 55 and 62 respectively, the two of them would've been old enough to have been part of the excavation back then; the names of the team members are not known according to the mayor and nobody knows where they went. Kazuha even points out that Charles Abel looks a bit like the young reporter Hajime, who was abandoned by his parents and whom the dog of Charles Abel really likes for some reason. So the most likely thing is that Yasukatsu and Michiki were somehow responsible for the accident of Charles Abel or didn't save him and Hajime has lured them here and killed them for revenge, because Charles Abel was his father.
KaitoRizu

Post by KaitoRizu »

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
Kazuha even points out that Charles Abel looks a bit like the young reporter Hajime, who was abandoned by his parents and whom the dog of Charles Abel really likes for some reason. So the most likely thing is that Yasukatsu and Michiki were somehow responsible for the accident of Charles Abel or didn't save him and Hajime has lured them here and killed them for revenge, because Charles Abel was his father.
Spoiler:
I think it's the author who killed them not the reporter and the reporter didn't seem to know who his father is since he said he was abandoned by his parents and didn't mention that his father was dead and the author has the same eyelashes and she's been lecturing him about manners all the time (I think that normally if you're bothered by a stranger's actions you would say "that's rude" in case you said anything in the first place but she's been lecturing him about his actions and even slapping him in the first chapter) so as the mother she would have a motive to kill them and she probably knows about the incident more than him, her experience in art and movie shooting sites (which utilize optical illusions to produce monsters and giants sometimes) helps her with doing the trick too
Thanks for the SS Kamite! ;D
Spoiler:
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
So, this photo shows the deceased foreigner Charles Abel in the middle with other members of the excavation team from 16 years ago:

The miner to the right kinda looks like the first victim, Yasukatsu Someji

And the miner to the bottom left kinda looks like the second victim, Michiki Tanzawa

With the 55 and 62 respectively, the two of them would've been old enough to have been part of the excavation back then; the names of the team members are not known according to the mayor and nobody knows where they went. Kazuha even points out that Charles Abel looks a bit like the young reporter Hajime, who was abandoned by his parents and whom the dog of Charles Abel really likes for some reason. So the most likely thing is that Yasukatsu and Michiki were somehow responsible for the accident of Charles Abel or didn't save him and Hajime has lured them here and killed them for revenge, because Charles Abel was his father.
Spoiler:
It seems like there's a phantom 5th member that didn't get caught on the photo there.. Hmm..
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Spoiler:
Is the guy to the far right—behind Abel and Tanzawa—irrelevant to the case, or isn't he?

Since Gosho didn't show the person to the far left, it may turn out to be the novelist, if she's the murderer.

If Abel is the writer's father, and the accident is why he was abandoned, then the chances of him being the culprit go down, in my book. When it comes to the abandoned children in DC (the monk from 559–561/479, for instance—from the Phantom Corpse case that preceded Detective Koshien) they have no idea of what happened in their past (Seiji from Moonlight Sonata and the murderer from the Optical Illusion case/Eye for an Eye were aware of their parentage. They were hiding that they were the children of a certain person—they avoided talking about their past). He could be lying, and his father's dog's reaction to him may explain how he was able to use the trick, but I think it's more likely that he really was abandoned, and while the dog remembers him, he doesn't remember the dog.

At this point, my money's on the novelist. I'd be very surprised if the writer did it, and even more if the mayor is revealed to be the culprit.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Shihœiji

Post by Shihœiji »

By the suspect's items the novelist is more suspicious, but her stares to her hypotetical son are scold-like, intead he's very relaxed when he's next to her. In addiction, after Conan and Heiji explained some tricks, he's still apparently convinced the nue exists. I think Gosho is trying to cast suspicion on the "hag".
Themaninarmor
It's not about me

Post by Themaninarmor »

Weird!?
I counted the window in file 959, the scene of the hotel from front view, There were 5 windows. But when i counted the number of windows at file 960, there were 4 windows.
Well i don't want to speculate anything, because it could be an error sha sha sha........ Or...
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Shihœiji wrote:after Conan and Heiji explained some tricks, he's still apparently convinced the nue exists. I think Gosho is trying to cast suspicion on the "hag".
The writer's the one who's being drawn with the scary shadow across his face on multiple occasions. If anything, Gosho's casting our suspicion onto him—he's overtly and obviously suspicious. The novelist has been subtly suspicious, and that's what kind of suspicious the culprits in these kind of cases are.

Again, at least for me, the real surprise would be the mayor turning out to be the culprit.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Themaninarmor wrote:Weird!?
I counted the window in file 959, the scene of the hotel from front view, There were 5 windows. But when i counted the number of windows at file 960, there were 4 windows.
Well i don't want to speculate anything, because it could be an error sha sha sha........ Or...
There's a tile stone wall on the bottom floor so on bottom there are really 4 windows in both actually...
Spoiler:
Themaninarmor
It's not about me

Post by Themaninarmor »

Is that so!? i thought the culprit made an extension of the wall with white bed sheet and using that as projector screen or perspective image ha ha ha
Sigh.... First i thought it was shadow but heiji's
hand isn't black like a shadow....
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
estuputri

Post by estuputri »

Well, since the reporter look a bit like Abel and the dog seem like know him, I think the reporter is Abel's son.. but I don't know if the author is Abel's wife or just one of the evacuation team.
I just think she is the culprit. Just like I say before that it's well prepared and has many details.
About the trick, I can't imagine how it can be, hahaa..

and about something before the sun rise.. I'll anticipate it!
>,<
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Translation of the text spoilers:

NO BREAK NEXT WEEK
Spoiler:
File 962: The sad "Nue" legend

Ran & Kazuha approach "giant" Heiji as he tells them to come closer despite their fear: they then find that Heiji hasn't become larger but a "trompe l'oeil" sheet drawing is hanging there to give one that impression.

It's a cheap trick that doesn't work out without the fire and the gloom: the "beast" was the dog with fur put over it and there was a mini-banner ready there: when the dog would run away with the mini-banner the real one would be placed on the path with the bite marks to give off the impression it was the same one: that was why the dog didn't bark when the "monster" appeared: the "nue" cry was a glass harp: the only one who could do this is the novelist, the culprit, who readied the dog beforehand and who was meticulous to the point of planting trees to pull the trick off.

She pretended to put out the 1st fire and the 2nd fire was by seeding water and metallic sodium: the white grains were the cinders. She stabbed the core of a ball-pen to open the cork of the carbonated drink and spread the liquid around as she planned: she used the fire to kill the 2nd victim with poisoned needles.

The dead miner was the novelist's husband: she wanted to have revenge on the 2 pals who abandoned him when the cave-in: the famed memo can be read as "tetsuno" when seen from the reverse.

The miner wanted to say he'd found a steel ornamental hairpin but since he didn't know the Kanji for it he didn't know the proper naming either so he surely wanted to use the memo and the hairpin to ask "what is this?".

The novelist then summoned the other 2 making them get the wrong idea, making them believe a "steel bottle" had been found. She wanted to bring Kogoro to put a foil to the existance of the "nue": she predicted Ran & Kazuha would get scared at seeing the writing practice memos: that would give them a reason to swap rooms with the archaeologist: when they ask her why she called the writer she denies calling him but it turns out it's her and the late miner's son.

The Mayor comments that it looks like a tale in which Minamoto no Yorimasa wanted to give credit to his mother but she turned into the "nue".

Dawn comes and Yokomizo finally realizes Conan and Ran were there.

Heiji brings Kazuha to the banks of the pond and with a background of the pond glowing like the "steel bottle" containing golden ovals: he attempts to do the one in a lifetime confession...

...But can't because the JSDF reinforcements Yokomizo called to capture the "nue" parachute into the area and surround them.

... Elsewhere, a high school girl named Oooka Momiji reads an article about the case on her smart-phone.

Momiji: "Hmmm... Quite active, isn't he? My future... husband (Haato)."

Side-note: "Has a rival that will endanger Heiji & Kazuha's love appeared...!? Next number will contain a new story! That elusive guy will apppear...!?"
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"