Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 958-962

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 958-96X

Post by Spimer »

Translation of the text spoilers

NO BREAK NEXT WEEK
Spoiler:
File 961: The fanged nue

Shizuoka Prefecture's inspector, Yokomizo, finally arrives at the village.

Heiji & Conan explain what's happened insofar in about 4 pages (of the file).

Yokomizo: "Calm down, ladies and gentlemen! You're all speaking like that monster's come back alive but... It's always been there... In the Kurogane Forest... The monster named "nue" has!"

Conan & Heiji: "HUH?"

Yokomizo says that there was talk about it having appeared 16 years ago: he asks the Mayor for confirmation and he says he's already told the guests the tale (about the cave-in).

Yokomizo: "See! It does exist, doesn't it! It's been living hiding in the forest for 16 years!!"

Both Conan and Heiji think he's starting to look like Yamamura.

The Mayor says he's concerned if it'll rain: he felt something lile a water drop back when the fires appeared again yet no more drops have fallen ever since then so he finds it odd. He also heard a sound like a carbonated drink's plug was opened: both the novelist and the writer were drinking carbonated drinks but even if they'd spilled some of those the novelist hadn't opened her drink and the writer's drink was too far away for a spill to reach the Mayor.

In the meanwhile Conan & Heiji search the grass at their feet and find small round white-colored lumps scattered around the area: they say that these allow for the culprit to start up fires without the need for matches.

The duo go back inside the hotel and begin to think of figuring out the sealed room's trick: they think that the novelist might've stabbed the archaeologist with a cap or something like that when he popped his head through the window yet she doesn't have any stick or anything like that.

Her belongins are:

. Writing utensils
. Notebooks
. Sewing tools
. The white wine she ordered
. Sommelier knife
. Carbonated water

They then think that the writer might've used a blowgun but you can't hit the lower jaw from the side.

The writer's belongings:

. 3 Cola bottles of 300 ml each
. 2 bags of potato chips
. Folding knife
. Selfie stick
. Cigarettes
. 100 yen ligther
. A submarine model (I-400) he bought to kill the boredom and the optional addhesive

The Mayor's belongings:

. a scrub brush

Conan & Heiji realize that it's hard to decide who's the culprit based on their belongings: they meet Ran & Kazuha in the corridor

The dog scratched the wall as he barked when the "nue" cry rang out: they thought it was hungry so they gave it some food but it wouldn't eat it: Conan & Heiji recall that the dog barked when the cry rang out but it didn't when the "monster" appeared...

This mystery is... solved!

Heiji charges the girl with procuring some stuff:

. 3 shirts
. A scrub brush
. A mop
. A tool-box
. A cardboard box
. Spray paint
. Oil-based pen and sewing tools borrowed from the novelist
. Addhesive and knife from the writer

They also find an old photo in the room the 2nd victim was originally at: they guess it could be the excavation team that was searching for the buried treasured? The foreigner in the center of the photo reminds them somehow of the writer.

They shove that asides and go to recreate the trick with the tools: they gotta do it while it's still night or there's no point so they do some rush work: Heiji seems to have other reasons for wanting to do it during the night as well

4AM: the sun hasn't risen yet. Everyone is gathered on the hotel entrance: the duo recreate the monster seen before.

Kazuha: "Heiji! Where are ya? Help us!"
Heiji: "I'm here, I'm here!"

Heiji's hand, gripping the corner's outer wall... is as tall as the 2nd floor's window!

Ran & Kazuha: "HUH?"

Side-note: Heiji's hand is HUGE! Next number: a giant 10 meters tall will show up!?
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Spimer wrote:Translation of the text spoilers

NO BREAK NEXT WEEK
Spoiler:

Yokomizo: "Calm down, ladies and gentlemen! You're all speaking like that monster's come back alive but... It's always been there... In the Kurogane Forest... The monster named "nue" has!"

Yokomizo says that there was talk about it having appeared 16 years ago: he asks the Mayor for confirmation and he says he's already told the guests the tale (about the cave-in).

Yokomizo: "See! It does exist, doesn't it! It's been living hiding in the forest for 16 years!!"

The Mayor says he's concerned if it'll rain: he felt something lile a water drop back when the fires appeared again yet no more drops have fallen ever since then so he finds it odd. He also heard a sound like a carbonated drink's plug was opened: both the novelist and the writer were drinking carbonated drinks but even if they'd spilled some of those the novelist hadn't opened her drink and the writer's drink was too far away for a spill to reach the Mayor.

In the meanwhile Conan & Heiji search the grass at their feet and find small round white-colored lumps scattered around the area: they say that these allow for the culprit to start up fires without the need for matches.

The duo go back inside the hotel and begin to think of figuring out the sealed room's trick: they think that the novelist might've stabbed the archaeologist with a cap or something like that when he popped his head through the window yet she doesn't have any stick or anything like that.

Her belongins are:

. Writing utensils
. Notebooks
. Sewing tools
. Sommelier knife
. Carbonated water

They then think that the writer might've used a blowgun but you can't hit the lower jaw from the side.

The writer's belongings:

. 2 bags of potato chips
. Folding knife
. Selfie stick
. Cigarettes
. 100 yen ligther
. A submarine model (I-400) he bought to kill the boredom and the optional addhesive

The Mayor's belongings:

. a scrub brush

Conan & Heiji realize that it's hard to decide who's the culprit based on their belongings: they meet Ran & Kazuha in the corridor

The dog scratched the wall as he barked when the "nue" cry rang out: they thought it was hungry so they gave it some food but it wouldn't eat it: Conan & Heiji recall that the dog barked when the cry rang out but it didn't when the "monster" appeared...

. 3 shirts
. A scrub brush
. A mop
. A tool-box
. A cardboard box
. Spray paint

They also find an old photo in the room the 2nd victim was originally at: they guess it could be the excavation team that was searching for the buried treasured? The foreigner in the center of the photo reminds them somehow of the writer.

They shove that asides and go to recreate the trick with the tools: they gotta do it while it's still night or there's no point so they do some rush work: Heiji seems to have other reasons for wanting to do it during the night as well

4AM: the sun hasn't risen yet. Everyone is gathered on the hotel entrance: the duo recreate the monster seen before.

Heiji's hand, gripping the corner's outer wall... is as tall as the 2nd floor's window!

Side-note: Heiji's hand is HUGE! Next number: a giant 10 meters tall will show up!?
Spoiler:
Yep, it's looking like the case will end next file, that the novelist is the culprit, and the writer is connected to Charles Abel.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Oh crap so that wasn't an artistic choice then...
Shihœiji

Post by Shihœiji »

Chekov, you're assuming the novelist as the culprit only for the sewing tools? Also the brush is required. Instead, the mop may be the selfie stick's substitute. Also it's non useful without a camera or alike.
PirateKing

Post by PirateKing »

Spimer wrote:Translation of the text spoilers

NO BREAK NEXT WEEK
Spoiler:

Her belongins are:

. Writing utensils
. Notebooks
. Sewing tools
. Sommelier knife
. Carbonated water

The writer's belongings:

. 2 bags of potato chips
. Folding knife
. Selfie stick
. Cigarettes
. 100 yen ligther

The Mayor's belongings:

. a scrub brush

. 3 shirts
. A scrub brush
. A mop
. A tool-box
. A cardboard box
. Spray paint

Spoiler:
Going by how the dog barked when the Nue appeared, I'd say the Nue (which is some kind of dog) was called with the help of an ultrasonc whistle, called the Galton's whistle. The sound of the whistle can only be heard by animals, and in some cases, can act as a deterrent to animals, which is why the dog is barking every time is used.
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

The dog scratched the wall as he barked when the "nue" cry rang out: they thought it was hungry so they gave it some food but it wouldn't eat it
The golden retriever is the culprit. This dog is someone in disguise and accidentally went OOC.
KaitoRizu

Post by KaitoRizu »

Shihœiji wrote:Also it's non useful without a camera or alike.
The selfie stick is used with smart phones and they do have cellphones... iirc they were confiscated in case they were related to the nue trick
Thanks for the SS Kamite! ;D
Spoiler:
Themaninarmor
It's not about me

Post by Themaninarmor »

Hmm... For the fire trick, maybe the culprit used eucalyptus tree spesifically its oil but i still don't know how the culprit lit that from the 2 second floor ???
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
KaitoRizu

Post by KaitoRizu »

No I think the fire trick is related to cotton, there are many ways to light a fire using cotton and the spoiler mentioned Conan and Heiji finding "small round white colored lumps" when they said they figured out the fire trick
Spoiler:
apple9851

Post by apple9851 »

I bet the fire trick involves water droplet and lumps of natrium. It will enable the culprit to ignite fire without match.
And... the reporter seemed to be involved long before these chapter happened. The dog recognized him in the first chapter by licking him. It showed that he's familiar.
Shihœiji

Post by Shihœiji »

By seeing english scans of 960, there actually are too many clues indicating the reporter, and the novelist indirectly sent the second victim to Ran's previous room. In addiction to that, if the video theory is not true, an artistic ability is useful to make an item bigger using perspective. But in that case, I don't detect what kind of motive she could have. I'm still more convinced the reporter killed them.
KaitoRizu

Post by KaitoRizu »

Giving the author a motive is easy: the reporter looks like the cave in victim and his eyes are similar to the author's so it could be that she's the reporter's mother and the miner's wife or something like that and she decided to take revenge for him.... or something like that... the contents of the picture mentioned in the spoiler might be useful for the motive thing
Spoiler:
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

apple9851 wrote:I bet the fire trick involves water droplet and lumps of natrium. It will enable the culprit to ignite fire without match.
And... the reporter seemed to be involved long before these chapter happened. The dog recognized him in the first chapter by licking him. It showed that he's familiar.
It's possible because they carried water over there so it could be like a double trick.
Shihœiji

Post by Shihœiji »

KaitoRizu wrote:Giving the author a motive is easy: the reporter looks like the cave in victim and his eyes are similar to the author's so it could be that she's the reporter's mother and the miner's wife or something like that and she decided to take revenge for him.... or something like that... the contents of the picture mentioned in the spoiler might be useful for the motive thing
I though that when she slapped the reporter, but he would say that.
KaitoRizu

Post by KaitoRizu »

Shihœiji wrote:
KaitoRizu wrote:Giving the author a motive is easy: the reporter looks like the cave in victim and his eyes are similar to the author's so it could be that she's the reporter's mother and the miner's wife or something like that and she decided to take revenge for him.... or something like that... the contents of the picture mentioned in the spoiler might be useful for the motive thing
I though that when she slapped the reporter, but he would say that.
Yeah I don't think it's completely true but it's still possible, I was just saying a possibility I'm not really going to think about the culprit and his/her motive before I see the actual file...
Spoiler: