Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 958-962

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
kentasaiba
Mr. Pickles!

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 958-96X

Post by kentasaiba »

Yes, very much plot. Relating the Heiji&Kazuha relationship.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

960's Chinese scan is still not out. From what I've heard, around the time that Mystery Train was coming out, DCTP and DCW were discussing the Chinese scans released on Fridays. Since I joined DCTP and DCW, we've gotten text spoilers on Saturdays and the Chinese scans on Mondays. These past two files, we've gotten Chinese scans past Monday. Will Tuesday/Wednesday be the new release date for the Chinese scans? Who knows whether this is temporary or not—it may go back to normal, and it may not.

On 960:
Spoiler:
Last Heiji case, there were two corpses by the end of the 3rd file... this may be a 5-file case, if we go by that.

Personally, I don't think the young reporter is the murderer. Last two Heiji cases the one who screamed that the mythical creature of the case was real turned out not to be. I think he's connected to Charles Abel, the victim, or may be even connected to the killer (though the former is far more likely, considering, for example, his encounter with Charlie's golden retriever). Thus, if there's another murder, not only will the case end up with 6 or 7 files, the young reporter will not die, and the one left besides him will be the murderer.

As for Heiji and Kazuha, Heiji is not dense, and he's gotten over the fact that the cat is out of the bag, as it were (hence his confession attempt in 931–935), so I'm not too sure that there won't be progress. Heiji not confessing to Kazuha by the end of this would by no means by a twist—if there's gonna be a twist, it'd be something like Heiji actually wanted to get Ran to respond to Shinichi's confession at this unremarkable locale (I severely doubt this will be the case)—if anything, Heiji actually confessing to Kazuha would be the twist.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Shihœiji

Post by Shihœiji »

Knowing how much Gosho loves apparently impossible crimes, I would exclude the mayor because he had time to kill the historian. Then the killer's behavior can and would change each time to prevent readers from understand who he is by that. I still consider the novelist as a suspect, but in that case, why she told the mouse's corpse? It must be a clue for the case, but it seems irrelevant (except for Conan and Heiji), so she had no reason to stress this particular.
Do you think the mayor and the novelist have the same possibility to be the culprit?
Themaninarmor
It's not about me

Post by Themaninarmor »

Shihœiji wrote: I still consider the novelist as a suspect, but in that case, why she told the mouse's corpse? It must be a clue for the case.
it may hint to the snake whereabouts.
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

now that Conan's head is out of the way, we can see that the cut closest to the waist line was clearly made first and had time to bleed
down the guys back toward his butt before the body was moved and the other cuts were made.

I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Case details:
Spoiler:
. Conan says that the cuts on the historian's back aren't those of a tiger like the novelist suggested once she heard the news: there's a gap of about 10cm between each other and a total of 4 of them.

. The archeologist mutters something about "And here I thought it was a bottle... And turned out to be a real monster..."; Conan & Heiji ask but he avoids the topic saying it only concerns him; both are picked by his words nevertheless

. Kazuha reports that she called the police but will take a while to arrive because it's a remote location: she then says that she thinks they can't stand up to a monster like that

Conan: "It's OK! There's no way a monster-like thing like that really exists!"
Heiji: "That's some kind of trick... These burnt remains reek of kerosene!"

. Heiji adds that out of the 4 cuts only one caused the death because it was deeper than the others: he thinks the victim got attacked once, he fled but collapsed out of forces and the culprit added the other cuts afterwards: he then sets his sight on the Mayor and says he's the only who could've done it.

Mayor: "Truth is... Someone asked of me! I got a letter with some money and the notebook I showed you during dinner! "If you summon those 4 the buried treasure legend will turn exciting again and will boost up this village!"... There were 4 letters addressed to each of you 4: were I send those then they would come or so it said... I attached an envelope to my letters, right?"

. The 3 guests confirm that there was such an envelope and it had a letter talking about the cave-in accident: yet the novelist points out he could be making it up.

. The Mayor replies that the letter he got specified the rooms each guest would use: Heiji simply tells the group to wait in their rooms until the police arrive

. The cry they heard before might've been made by a machine so Heiji asks the others to give him custody of their phones

. Ran & Kazuha fear that there might be some trick to their room: they ask for someone to swap rooms because the room they were in seemingly was the dead miner's room

. The novelist is interested and offers to swap rooms but the archaelogist intervenes: the writer will move to the 3rd floor and Heiji tells him not to come out or he'll assume he's the culprit

. Conan and Heiji remain on the outside where they can keep an eye on the windows and set up watch yet the Mayor stays with them and brings a broom saying that he'll help them repel the "monster" if it shows up again

. Heiji complains that he wants him to be at his room but the Mayor says it's his responsibility as the host to ensure the safety of the guests: Heiji then asks the Mayor why he called the 4 guests

. In the meanwhile the archaeologist is rummaging the desk drawer's and checking the late miner's notebooks: he seems annoyed at something and throws one or more around

. The aracheologist knows a lot about Shizuoka's geology: he's dug up many ruins across Japan and some years ago he was famous as the comentator of a TV program about archaeology but there were allegations that his dug earthenware were actually imitations and since then he'd retired from public attention

. The novelist is famous for her novels about monsters and fantastic creatures: she knows a lot about Japanese monsters and all: she herself changes the shooting location or repaints the mansion set's colors when they're adapted on TV if she feels like they don't match the ambientation in the novels: she's an art school graduate

. The novelist is drinking a cup of white wine in her room

. Heiji argues that her specialty is unrelated to the buried treasure: the Mayor admits that the letter also said "if the buried treasure doesn't work try to make things exciting by bringing up the nue"

. And Conan brings up that the writer isn't famous to begin with

. The victim was a historian who knew a lot about the buried treasure

. The Mayor says the letter only said that the writer is a fledgling report writer chasing monster tales across the nation

. The writer seems them and the group seems him drinking Cola straight from the bottle

. Heiji asks why he didn't summon the cave-in survivors: they vanished ever since then and their names are unknown

. Conan asks why did he ring Hejii: the Mayor replied that the letter told him to bring Kogoro but since he'd spent a lot of money in the hotel reformation and all. At first he (the Mayor) intended to invite Shinichi but he couldn't locate him so he called Heiji instead.

. Heiji (thinking): "So I'm but the replacement for the old man and Kudo, huh?"
. Conan: "My bad..."

. Heiji brings up that the letter he (Heiji) got said that he could bring a girl-friend if he liked to: he asks if that was in the anonymous letter the Mayor got and he confirms that: the letter specifically said "please bring Detective Mouri's daugther"... If there was a young girl in the PV to promote the village that would make it interesting or so it said

. Heiji (thinking): "Well, that was fortunate yet..."

. Conan notices that the left end of the trees in front of the hotel have a different type of tree: the Mayor hasn't come for a while so he isn't sure of why

. Heiji steps into a stick that seems to be a tree branch and notices its cinders have a cloth-like material stuck to it: Conan doesn't remember it being here before

. The novelist opens the 2nd floor window to complain about their voices being too loud: the writer opens his 3rd floor window to say he doesn't mind the voices since he wants to stay sharp before going to sleep to be able to write a report

. The cry rings out again and we see the 3 guests, the Mayor and the girls hearing to it at the same time: the dog begins to bark

. Fires pop out around Conan & Heiji all of a sudden: the writer yells that the nue's back

. The archaelogist suddenly screams and the novelist notices it's on the room above hers, where Heiji & co. had been at: it's located at hotel's left edge

. The Mayor goes to fetch the spare key: Heiji & co. reach the door and bang it but there's no response: the Mayor rushes there with the spare key

. Conan & Heiji rush in to find the archaeologist flat on his back and dead: they notice two small spots below the chin which look like a snake's bite

. Heiji asks if there's only 1 spare key and the Mayor says yes so this is a closed room: even Heiji begins to wonder if the nue really exists...
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:now that Conan's head is out of the way, we can see that the cut closest to the waist line was clearly made first and had time to bleed
down the guys back toward his butt before the body was moved and the other cuts were made.

So the culprit is hiding what fact with moving the body and creating extra cuts? The real murder weapon?
Spimer

Post by Spimer »

@k11chi: surely so. Because Conan and Heiji say that only one of the cuts caused the death and the others were added after the victim had died. They're too big to be tiger slashes and there's a 10 cm gap between each one. The culprit wanted to make it look like it's the nue's work.

Both guess that the victim got attacked from behind, began to bleed and ran away only to die from bleeding: the culprit then caught up and added the others which explains why the victim was so far away from the hotel.
Shihœiji

Post by Shihœiji »

I think the material found on the stick actually is the video's screen. Do someone know about some chemical reaction that includes cola's ingredients and causes a combustion? The writer gripped the bottle when another fire lighted up.
Now, talking about the snake's bite, maybe in the room there was a trap, recuperated trough the windows left open. I found strange the writer opened his door only when the archeologist's's unlocked.
Finally, for Ran's required presence, the writer's obsession for younger girls is an explanation (a novelist's obsession for heroins is a less logical one).
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

DCW is under repair at the moment making it a bit hard to reach the forum (links are redirecting to the main page), so I will be crossposting to DCTP for now.
Spoiler:
One weird thing I noticed while checking out 960 is the chubnovelist's windows when she talks. She opens both sides of the windows, forcing her to lean way out to see around the window to talk to Soda&Pop Nue loving reporter. The reporter wisely kept one side of his window shut to speak without leaning out too far. As Jimmy pointed out, this prevents the reporter from seeing what she is doing with her hands. If everyone was fixating on the fire, it's entirely possible she could do something to launch an item upwards to hit the archeologist from below as he looks out.
The novelist keeps her same room while the archeologist goes to Ran and Kazuha's old room. It seems he wanted to be there for a specific purpose as he was rifling through the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa practice book and other things. If the novelist is the killer, and she knew that the archeologist was going to move to the girls' room to investigate, she could safely offer to room swap knowing she would be overruled. That sets up a psychological trick Gosho has used before with Kir and Gin: hiding one's ability to control and act by making it appear like something unpredictable happened when the culprit already knows how the vic will act in advance.

The novelist was also the one to suggest searching the drawers in the first place, another point to her manipulator position.

The fire in the ground probably came about as a result of buried bottles of flammable stuff with a timer, fuse, or other delay. The murder weapon might have been a modified taser of the shoots two barbs type. Take the shock out and coat the barbs with poison. Or don't take the shock out and let his conveniently weak heart do the rest. either way, the wires that connect the barbs are pretty thin and hard to see.
Themaninarmor
It's not about me

Post by Themaninarmor »

@chek
i see... The novelist may used psychological trick to kill the archeo. I never realized that before and the weapon is cool.

Oh... There is 3 things that still weird for me.
Spoiler:
1. The "reporter" that never write anything and just screaming a lot. I hope he don't miss the story

2. Ran's involveness. Is it because she famous for her afraidness of ghost?

3. The novelist that drink too much. She drink white wine and milk. Of course you can mix that and i don't know if japanese woman drink white wine with milk (spritzer!?) but my point is the milk could be in bottle. (Now i'm iritated that i always think the culprit is the one who have a bottle)

but my main suspect is
still the novelist
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
Spimer

Post by Spimer »

@Themaninarmor: the reporter doesn't write anything because he's surely waiting for more stuff to happens to write the full story.

Ran being afraid of ghosts I dunno how many people know it. But it's still weird that someone would ask for her to come.

At this point there's still too little info to rely upon so I can't say for sure who's the culprit.
Shihœiji

Post by Shihœiji »

Chekov's theory for the reason of the mouse's allusion is very interesting, but the reporter could put the corpse himself if he knew every room as the letter to the mayor portrends. In my opinion the novelist knew the reporter's intentions since the dinner, but she is his relative and don't want him to be discovered.
If there was a trap in the archeologist's room, then it probably would activate opening the window. In that case the novelist is the more suspicious, but she could not be certain that the archeologist would open it. Instead, the writer needed someone outside seeing what happened.
If the murderer want it to seem as a nue's attack, he would avoid to leave evident evidences as bottles.
A novelist's detail who made me suspicious is her Art graduation, over the video theory.
estuputri

Post by estuputri »

The letter that mayor got, has many details. I think maybe it comes from someone like the novelist..

And about the bottle, is it talking about the sounds?
Maybe the bottle can make sounds like that..
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Spoiler:
961 text spoilers are out:
http://tamae.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ymag/1463843791/l50

FILE961 牙を剥いた鵺

ようやく、静岡県警の警部・横溝が現場に到着
2人目が斃れるまでのあらましを4ページほどかけて説明
横溝「まあ落ち着いてください!
    皆さんはまるでその怪物が蘇ったかのように話されていますが…

元々いたんですよ… この黒金の森に… 鵺という化け物がね…」
コナン&服部「え?」
横溝は16年前にも鵺の証言があったよね?と村長に聞くと
村長はその話なら既にしたと返事
横溝「ホラ!やっぱりいるじゃないですか!!16年間森に隠れ棲んでいたんですよ!!」
群馬のへっぽこ刑事と同レベルでした

それはそうと、村長は雨を気にしていた
2度目に火がついたとき、村長の顔に水滴のようなものがついた感触があったが
それっきりさっぱり降らないので違和感を持っている様子
そのとき炭酸飲料の栓を開けたような音も聞いている
飲んでいたのは小説家とライターだが、こぼしたとしても
小説家は窓際では飲んでいないしライターの窓からは遠くて村長まで届かない
そんな話をしてる中、コナンと服部は足元の草むらから
白くて丸っこい小さな塊がまき散らされているのを見つける
これがあれば、マッチなどがなくても火をつけられるという

ホテルの中に入ったコナンと服部は、まず密室トリックを暴くところから思案
考古学者が窓から顔を出したところを、小説家が銛で刺した……
とするなら、それらしい棒があるはずだが小説家の持ち物にはない
筆記用具と手帳と裁縫道具、村長に頼んだ白ワインとソムリエナイフと炭酸水
ライターが吹き矢で仕留めた……としても真横から顎の下は狙えない
ライターの持ち物は300mlコーラ瓶3本とポテチ2袋
折り畳みナイフと携帯自撮り棒とタバコと100円ライター
暇つぶしに買った「潜これプラモデル 伊400」と別売りの接着剤
村長の持ち物はデッキブラシだけ……持ち物から判断は難しい
などと話していると、蘭と和葉が廊下にいる
鵺の鳴き声がした際、犬が吠えながら壁をひっかく音がしたので
おなかが空いているのだろうと餌を用意したのだが食べてくれないという
そこでコナンと服部は思い返す…この犬、最初の鵺の鳴き声のときも吠えていたが
化け物が現れたときはは吠えていなかったのを 謎は……すべて解けた!

服部の指示を受けて、蘭と和葉がいろいろ持ってくる
シーツ3枚、デッキブラシ、モップ、工具箱、段ボール箱、スプレー塗料
小説家から油性ペンと裁縫道具を、ライターから接着剤とナイフを借りる
それと考古学者に換わってもらった部屋から、古い写真を見つけてくる
16年前の埋蔵金発掘隊なのか?
真ん中に写る外国人が、どことなくライターに似ている
ともかくコナンと服部は、これらの道具でトリックを再現する
夜中でないと話にならないネタなので突貫作業……服部には他の理由もありそう

まだ日も登らぬ早朝4時
全員ホテルの玄関に集まったところで1件目の化け物を再現
和葉「平次どこや!! 助けてェ!!」
服部「ここやここ…」
外壁の角を掴む服部の手は……2階の窓の高さに
蘭&和葉(え!?)
■平次の手、でかっ!!次号、10m級の巨人現る…!!!!?
Spoiler:
Sango Yokomizo appears for the first time since File 827! :)

The end of it seems to indicate that the next file will be the last, given that Shinichi/Conan and Heiji seem to be setting up the experiment/test, lest we get something akin to the Vampire Case, where someone gets murdered in the 5th file and extends the case.
Last edited by DCUniverseAficionado on May 28th, 2016, 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)