Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 958-962

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 958-962

Post by Spimer »

As stated in the above image, please continue to use spoiler boxes for the first seven days in which a file is available. However, due to legal restrictions, we kindly ask that you do NOT post any links in this topic to any Japanese raw files or English scanlations. For more information on this matter, please click here.

We've got text spoilers.
BREAK NEXT WEEK.
Next file will be released on May the 11th so the next text spoilers won't be until May the 7th.
Spoiler:
File 958: Yadori Village's Monster

The day after Rokumichi's murder case. Ran & Sonoko talk with Azusa, who says that she didn't come to the hall. Amuro prentends he was deceived by a lookalike: when one of them says that's an eerie story, Azusa (the real one) says she saw a mysterious duo climb up the stairs leading to the detective agency: a black-skinned man accompanied by a girl: they were talking about a dust cloth or something like that...

...And the "duo" turned out to be Heiji & Kazuha.

They weren't talking about a dust cloth but about having found a clue to Tokugawa's (16th century Shogun) buried treasure and they want Mouri & co. to lend them a hand. They were asked by the Mayor of Yadori Village to help so they've come to invite Kogoro and Conan. But Kogoro declines.

Ran doesn't look like she's interested either but Heiji laids out bait saying that may be Shinichi would be interested in this topic (and may show up).

Conan can't hide his bad feeling about the deal because Tokugawa's buried treasure is supposed to be in Gunma and there's that incompetent inspector there (Yamamura).

But Heiji calms him down: Yadori Village, the village they've been invited to isn't in Gunma but in Shizuoka.

So the quartet of Heiji, Kazuha, Ran and Conan go to the village with the Mayor's car. The Mayor has called a promiment archeologist so he says he doesn't have money to spare on a detective. In the case of Heji and the others, he says he only need to spend some travel expenses and food budget and that's why he invited Heji. They're going to be lodged on a worn down hotel that's become mostly abandoned ever since some people died in cave-in accident. The Mayor says he'll make the food but he seems to be very unsure of himself.

According to the archeologist taking part in the search, it's possible that the treasure might be Sunpu Castle: the family owning it has already passed away. A historian and a novelist cite a passage from a local nursery rhyme.

A reporter writer shows up and tries flirt with Kazura & Ran only for Heiji to get into an argument with the guy. A dog belonging to a deceased excavation team that died in the cave-in accident stops the writer: a neighbor was supposed to be taking care of it but it always ran away to go back to the castle so they'd left the dog there: looks like someone's been feeding it yet the Mayor is worried that it might fall into a nearby pond.

All of the participants have gathered: Ran is disappointed that Shinichi isn't there but she hears Heiji whispering something to the Mayor. Kazuha has a bad feeling about the deal and feels nervous.
Ran: "It might be a love premonition, you know?"
Conan (sweats).

After the dinner with all of the members Heiji listens to a tale about a local "youkai" (a phantom). The writer admits he came to investigate the phantom, not the buried treasure. A foreigner miner who was trapped in the cave-in accident called for help but his throat was damaged and he couldn't speak so he left behind a memo with the words "nue". (Note: "nue" is a mythological specter, with a monkey's face, raccoon body, tiger's limbs, and the tail is a snake).

The writer wants to make of the tale an article titled "Curse of the Nue". The novelist slaps the writer while telling him not to talk so merrily about dead people. The archeologist and the scholar mock the novelist saying that he/she must also write similar books.

Mayor: "Come on. Ladies & gentlemen. Please behave. Let's have a proper rest this evening. Tomorrow we'll go to the mining site, to the cave..."
A sound similar to cry of unknown source rings out and seems to intercept the Mayor's voice.
Novelist: "My, talk about curious..."
Writer: "It's here?"
Historian: "So it's also on this forest..."
Archeologist: "That cry... It's the Nue's cry..."

Side-note: "Where did the 'love premonition go to!?' (cries) The eerie night closing into Yadori Village... Is it the cry of the ancient monster, the "Nue"!?
Last edited by Spimer on April 23rd, 2016, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
k11chi

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 958-96X

Post by k11chi »

Isn't it golden week so no chapter?
Anyway Yadori village... Nice name, seems like another classical case then.. Hopefully not a limited setting like one mansion this time.
MrDetective
Irregular Scans staff

Post by MrDetective »

I used to be hyped because I expected Shinichi to appear...
Spimer

Post by Spimer »

@k11chi: I got the weeks wrong, shame on me. I fixed it already.
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

Case looks quite fun.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

MoonRaven
DCTP's 赤死
-
Cbox: Akai Tsuki
-
The paranoid and homicidial townie of DCTP Mafia

Post by MoonRaven »

I dunno what to think about the newest case. Nice to see Heiji again. Maybe he'll finally confess Kazuha
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:Never ignore coincidence. Unless you are busy. Then always ignore the coincidence.
My dA
My AO3
My FF
My Tumblr
Dream or Not finished at 72 chapters

Chapter 33 of Leap to Relatively Unknown updated 12.9.20

Chapter 8 of the sequel, Leaping into the Dream updated 6.10.19

Chapter 2 of The Crow's Song updated 19.7.18
paoloknight

Post by paoloknight »

I think the cries belong to Conan, who sweats earlier. It is similar to the time he turned back into Shinichi... I expect Shinichi to appear in the next chapter. Or at least for Conan to disappear...
Amuro321

Post by Amuro321 »

I really hope that ran use her brain and think about it. The fact that amuro and azusa talked so much in the asaca case ran should know that a great detective like amuro should know that the azusa is the wrong one becouse they know each other well. I hope ran will suspect amuro to have a conection to the woman who kidnap ai
Spimer

Post by Spimer »

@paoloknight: LoL. I find it hard to believe so many people would mistake a man's cry for an animal's cry. And the "sweat" was meant to indicate his skeptical reaction at Ran's comment to Kazuha. Not that he was sweating. It's a common thing in Japanese manga and anime to drop sweat when you feel like the other's comment was stupid or something like that.

Besides, why would Shinichi appear? Haibara isn't here and only Haibara has the APTX antidote. It was proven on Heiji's first apperance that Conan developed antibodies to the Palkar liquor so even if he drinks it up he won't transform back to Shinichi.
RucyL

Post by RucyL »

I guess Heiji will be trying to confess to Kazuha, again. And I wish that this one is the real one, because there has been a LOT of failures...
Also... Conan still has the recording of Heiji's original confession. Maybe he uses it again to blackmail Hattori.
"A true lady leaves no puzzle unsolved."
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

RucyL wrote:I guess Heiji will be trying to confess to Kazuha, again. And I wish that this one is the real one, because there has been a LOT of failures...
Also... Conan still has the recording of Heiji's original confession. Maybe he uses it again to blackmail Hattori.
No, he doesn't. He deleted his recording; the DB still have theirs, but Conan doesn't.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

MoonRaven wrote:I dunno what to think about the newest case. Nice to see Heiji again. Maybe he'll finally confess Kazuha
I think the fact that he was ready to confess in a rather unremarkable place, in his last appearance, shows that he's ready, period, no matter the locale—he seems to have accepted that he confessed "at a place like Ebisu Bridge," sometime between the Kamaitachi case (909–912) and the Zombie case (931–935).
RucyL wrote:I guess Heiji will be trying to confess to Kazuha, again. And I wish that this one is the real one, because there has been a LOT of failures...
As far as I can recall, Kazuha tried and failed once (781–786/652–655) and Heiji tried and failed once (931–935). Each was unambiguously trying to confess, in both situations—if you're referring to situations like Heiji and Kazuha's Desperate Situation (390–392/323–324) or Kazuha's Missing charm (693–695/573–574), where the feelings of one of them were almost revealed to the other, neither of them remotely wanted to even attempt a confession.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
red.orchid

Post by red.orchid »

Spoiler:
More about Nue and other Japanese mythical creatures if anyone's interested:
http://travel.cnn.com/tokyo/visit/freak ... es-690991/

Also, Amuro pretended and everybody let it slide. Really? Come on!
Secret Santa 2015
Spoiler:
Secret Santa 2016
Spoiler:
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

Japanese folklore has so many different mythical creatures, Gosho probably has enough material to last a century.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

kentasaiba
Mr. Pickles!

Post by kentasaiba »

Yeah, 20 more cases with Yamamura :D