Interview Gosho Aoyama Movie 20

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Interview Gosho Aoyama Movie 20

Post by Spimer »

I thought I might make a thread about the interview published in Cinema Today.

Q: Both anime and movies have been running for 20 years. How do you feel like?
A: "20 years already!"... That's the general feeling (laughs) I think it's surprising that it's come this far. I didn't think that the weekly magazine chapters would last this long. But I got to admit that the ammount of things I want do is steadily increasing. (laughs)

Q: You surely didn't think that a confrontation between the FBI, the PSB and the BO would become reality in the movies, did you?
(NOTE: I know Amuro is not PSB but that's what's written in the interview. My hypothesis about why: the movie staff assumed Amuro was PSB and Gosho then thought of making him NPA but by then the script couldn't be rewritten)
A: And that's the main dish of this movie. It's been made with the idea of "let's do this!". In the manga it's pretty hard to properly draw an action scene so there are some aspects that it can't portray. The confrontation between Akai Shuuichi (FBI Investigator) and Amuro Tooru (PSB-affiliated) is an aspect I wanted to do in this movie, so I thought that we could have them fight in the movie (laughs). I want fans to see this confrontation scene, I really do.

Q: Does it happen that the anime and/or the movie staff come to you with an idea, with "we want do this/that"?
A: It more or less happens every year. They want to do something. It's not that they ask for this or that to be specially made for "this work (episode/movie)", it's always like this. When there are things hard to do in the manga. When I want to make things explode or draw a large-scale action in the manga then my assistants start crying (laughs). I think of doing things that can be done in a movie.

Q: Would that mean that it was your idea to make the BO appear in this movie?
A: The reason the BO come out is the because the producer told me he wanted to do that since it's the 20th movie (laughs). But they've placed a lot of energy into it, really. A lot of ideas came up at the draft stage.

Q: It'd seem that you're working on an original illustration this year as welll...
A: That's correct. I drew Akai and Amuro on this illustration as well. There's another character, someone surprising, that shows up in that illustration too, so... Try searching for that illustration in the theater (laughs).

Q: It'd seem that you're also supervising other things apart from the illustration...
A: Yes. I check the script and the storyboards as well. I'm more involved than the usual because the BO show up in this movie. I don't want trouble to pop out because the setting is wrong. The anime staff have been asking me a lot of questions ever since the drafting stage. And I shared the identity of the BO's "Boss" with the director and the producer of the anime staff. Because I think that, since they're making a story about the BO, I must explain that to them: else they wouldn't understand (laughs).

Q: Those words Ran said at the end [of the trailer] were surprising. Did you come up with them?
A: But of course I did! That line wasn't there at the beginning [of the project]. I inserted it when I went over the script but the storyboard at the time was almost finished, looked like there wouldn't be time [to fit the scene in] and it was about to be cut. But I thought those words were a must so I brought them back.

Q: If you say that supervised the draf and the storyboards then you must surely hold the post of General Supervisor, don't you?
A: It's something obvious in the "Conan" team. I feel like I don't join them because I don't see the need to join the team. I'm satisfied with writing the manga. When I see (other anime movies') manga authors being billed as General Supervisors, I end up thinking "What in the..." (laughs).

Q: What would you do if they offered you to work in building a script from the very start?
A: I think that I might do that but if I were to do that then I would have to stop working on the weekly manga chapters... It's a difficult topic. If I were to do it I'd rather prefer to be the director. I'd like to draw a confrontation with Kaito Kid or the BO. Maybe I should come up with one... (laughs).

Q: You introduce all kinds of detectives in the Conan volumes' cover sleeve, the "Aoyama Gosho Detective Encyclopedia". A lot of detectives of movies and novels show up. Despite how busy you are you do check out other movies and drama series.
A: I watch a lot of movies. It's hard to read novels (laughs) but you can see a film in 2 hours. I also check out drama series and mystery series. As of late I enjoy watching "Clinical Criminologist Himura Hideo's Deductions" every week.

Q: Is there a movie that you like a lot?
A: "Amalfi: Rewards of the Goddess" (2009). I like it a lot: and it's not just because the guest voice actress acting in this movie [Movie 20] Amami Yuki - san [Silver-haired woman role] is acting on it. I watch it a lot of times when I feel blocked or without ideas. It's a very good movie, from the start to the end. I like the lines by the characters too so I rewatch it a lot.

Q: Is there some aspect of movies that you see that gets reflected when you work on your works?
A: There is. The previous movie, Movie 19 "Sunflowers of Inferno", had elements from "Towering Inferno" (1974). Movie 13 "The Raven Chaser" had elements from "Blue Sunday" (1983). There are ideas born from having seen some movie. They can be used as examples and it's easy to explain to the movie staff by saying "like that scene of that film".

Q: How do you come up with the tricks?
A: I and the editor in charge come up with most of them. We talk a lot in the workspace but our chat begins with "Have you seen anything interesting movies as of late?". We come up with a lot of ideas so we pick up the tricks that we could use. We do that everytime and it's hard (laughs).

Q: Does it happen a lot that the trick takes up more time than the story in your meetings?
A: It does happen. The story is faster. The tricks take up a lot of time. I think that the time to come up with the story is about 2 hours and the time needed for the tricks is about 8 hours more or less. It's pretty difficult. And we experiment as much as we can to see if the trick can be really used. The trick in the chapter being published in the Sunday magazine now (File 954-957) has been properly tested, truth to be told (laughs).

Q: Do you think on the anime when you draw the original manga chapters?
A: I do think that "this might be hard to express in the anime" so I express it in a certain manner. It can be the movement between the panels, or a trick explanation that might be hard to do in the anime, trying to change the schedules.... Ah. But it's not like I think a lot about it (laughs). I draw the manga in my own manner.

Q: In the movie the BO is portrayed as gigantic but Gin and Vodka are riding in an amusement park's roller coaster in the 1st chapter of the manga. Was it on your schedule from the start that the BO would become such a big thing?
A: I'll leave that up to your imagination. But it's pretty rare that Gin and Vodka were riding the roller coaster... Vodka might've made the queue to buy the tickets and ask for "2 adult tickets", I guess (laughs).

Q: "Conan" has fans that range from small kids to grown-up adults. We'd like of you to give them a message.
A: In some fan letters it was said that, when they were a kid, they found the drawings to be cool. And when they became an adult they could understand the story. So they could enjoy it twice. So, those parts that a small kid can't understand can be checked out when they become adults: and thus they can enjoy "Conan" a lot of times. Adult fans: please enjoy Conan even if you go on aging, don't graduate from it. If you have a son or a daugther... Then please go watch it together (laughs).
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Re: Interview Gosho Aoyama Movie 20

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

is this the translation of this : http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki ... imemaToday ??
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Oxynou

Post by Oxynou »

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:is this the translation of this : http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki ... imemaToday ??
Yes it is (the questions / answers are alike on google translate)
Spoiler:
Haibara

Post by Haibara »

This was great. Thank you so much, Spimer!

I wonder how the anime staff felt to be told the identity of Anokata...but spoilers are a given if you're on the production side of creative works, I'm sure.
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

Spimer wrote:Q: If you say that supervised the draf and the storyboards then you must surely hold the post of General Supervisor, don't you?
A: It's something obvious in the "Conan" team. I feel like I don't join them because I don't see the need to join the team. I'm satisfied with writing the manga. When I see (other anime movies') manga authors being billed as General Supervisors, I end up thinking "What in the..." (laughs).
Gosho 'throwing shade' at other manga authors. :P
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Wakarimashita wrote:Gosho 'throwing shade' at other manga authors. :P
Huh, so that is a term that's making the rounds, these days...

But I bet I won't see one of your posts say, "That's the bomb!" ;)
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Wakarimashita wrote:
Spimer wrote:Q: If you say that supervised the draf and the storyboards then you must surely hold the post of General Supervisor, don't you?
Gosho 'throwing shade' at other manga authors. :P
Lool. I can't stop laughing...