Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 954-957

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 954-957

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

ATEM wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
rfsuki wrote:
Spoiler:
From the dialogue translation by presumenothing on Tumblr, Amuro is pretty sure that Subaru is Akai at this point, but he can't point this out right away because he is with Vermouth. But what will happen after this? Will Amuro let Akai to continue staying at Shinichi's house? And will Akai be forced to tell Amuro the whole truth to resolve the misunderstanding?
Spoiler:
I guess Akai will have to tell the truth, Amuro will probably put him in a dangerous situation or use someone he cares about as a bait.
That would be the only way for Akai to keep his Okiya's identity. He still has to keep the promise he made to Akemi after all...
Spoiler:
is it that easy ?! From amuro's hatred he won't believe a word from that and from akai's personality he will never explain himself even if he was killed .. I wonder how gosho will be able to resolve such a situation and how it benfits the plot
Spoiler:
He'd still hate Shuichi even if the misunderstanding was cleared up, I think—it'd just go from, "You forced Scotch to kill himself... bastard!", to, "You let Scotch die... bastard!"

The threat of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) seems to be the only thing keeping Rei/Tooru from going all out, in this situation.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Themaninarmor
It's not about me

Post by Themaninarmor »

Ah gosho did that again, i must control my expectation for the next chap...
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
ATEM wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
rfsuki wrote:
Spoiler:
From the dialogue translation by presumenothing on Tumblr, Amuro is pretty sure that Subaru is Akai at this point, but he can't point this out right away because he is with Vermouth. But what will happen after this? Will Amuro let Akai to continue staying at Shinichi's house? And will Akai be forced to tell Amuro the whole truth to resolve the misunderstanding?
Spoiler:
I guess Akai will have to tell the truth, Amuro will probably put him in a dangerous situation or use someone he cares about as a bait.
That would be the only way for Akai to keep his Okiya's identity. He still has to keep the promise he made to Akemi after all...
Spoiler:
is it that easy ?! From amuro's hatred he won't believe a word from that and from akai's personality he will never explain himself even if he was killed .. I wonder how gosho will be able to resolve such a situation and how it benfits the plot
Spoiler:
He'd still hate Shuichi even if the misunderstanding was cleared up, I think—it'd just go from, "You forced Scotch to kill himself... bastard!", to, "You let Scotch die... bastard!"

The threat of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) seems to be the only thing keeping Rei/Tooru from going all out, in this situation.
Spoiler:
I agree with DCA and in RL it's hard for spy to get friendly and trust each other. If must they would backstab another agent for their mission. Maybe that was what amuro thinking now.
The real question is why amuro didn't share anything to conan? well... conan is a "kid" and civilian but in previous case he acknowledged conan plan and deduction so it just made this whole thing complicated.
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Spoiler:
Wow I can see where the problem comes from. Akai let him die for nothing, and the reason for his death was Amuro going there... That's why there was that gunshot when he was running there. They can only hate themselves even if they know the truth I guess.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

k11chi wrote:
Spoiler:
Wow I can see where the problem comes from. Akai let him die for nothing, and the reason for his death was Amuro going there... That's why there was that gunshot when he was running there. They can only hate themselves even if they know the truth I guess.
Spoiler:
If Rei/Tooru learned the truth, he'd still hate Shuichi for letting Scotch die, and he'd hate himself for even going there.

However, we still don't know how Scotch was uncovered, why Shuichi/Dai and Scotch were on that rooftop, and why Rei was racing up those stairs. Until we learn the circumstances (if we learn—at least some—of them), there'll be a void.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

k11chi wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
If Rei/Tooru learned the truth, he'd still hate Shuichi for letting Scotch die, and he'd hate himself for even going there.

However, we still don't know how Scotch was uncovered, why Shuichi/Dai and Scotch were on that rooftop, and why Rei was racing up those stairs. Until we learn the circumstances (if we learn—at least some—of them), there'll be a void.
Spoiler:
Rei must have traced Scotch's phone from the NPA/PSB headquarters after getting the dying message. Scotch was probably planning to jump off the roof, but as for how Akai found Scotch, if it won't be addressed, we can simply go with that genius Akai managed somehow. The more important question is your first one! How was Scotch found out?
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
DCUniverseAficionado

MeiTanteixX wrote:
k11chi wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Rei must have traced Scotch's phone from the NPA/PSB headquarters after getting the dying message. Scotch was probably planning to jump off the roof, but as for how Akai found Scotch, if it won't be addressed, we can simply go with that genius Akai managed somehow. The more important question is your first one! How was Scotch found out?
Spoiler:
I presume Shuichi/Dai/Rye was the one dispatched by the BO to deal with Scotch—he wouldn't be there, otherwise.

With Ethan Hondo's death, we didn't find out the true circumstances of his death until 50 files after his death was first mentioned. Rei/Tooru most definitely thinks Shuichi is Subaru, again, so we'll see when Gosho continues that plot thread—the next case that does so may reveal just how Scotch was exposed.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Case/plot info
Spoiler:
Amuro tells Megure he figured out the trick: Takagi argues that since the victim was lifted 3 meters over the stage a single culprit couldn't do it. Amuro says he'll do it for real to prove it. He's already asked a forensic to ready a bundle of rope.

Amuro tosses the rope over the bar where the spotlights are attached: and he ties the other end on Takagi, who's sitting on a chair. Amuro walks towards Takagi while making a ring with the rope hanging from above: he rolls the upper and lower ring so they pass through from the front: he twists the ring.

He stucks the resulting big ring into the handrail of some of the audience seats. He then passes the part that doesn't have a ring through the handrail so that it gets stuck on the inner side: he makes another ring and now ties the ring and the rope to another seat's handrail, about 4 meters away.

The process repeats and he ties it to the handrail of a seat 8 meters away. The only thing left to do is pull the rope at the 3rd place he'd tied it.

Amuro: "Well then... Sonoko - san, you seem to be the least powerful of the group... Will you please pull it?"
Sonoko: "I d-don't mind, but... It's obvious I can't lift that...!"

However, when Sonoko pulls the rope Takagi is lifted.

Takagi: "Wha!"
Sonoko: "No way! Why!?"
Amuro: "It's the pulley principle... Right, Okiya - san?"
Okiya: "Yes... The small rings along the rope act as pulleys... Every ring incresaes the power when pulling the rope by 2, 4, 8..."

This form of tying a rope is called a "freight tie" and freight workers use it to keep the packages in place during freight.

Okiya: "In short... The most suspicious person that is the culprit who hanged Hado - san is that person who worked part-time in a freight company when they were young... Hado - san's manager, Enjou Kanae - san... That would be you..."

The convienent part about this system is that you needn't do any actual knots so it's easy to undo but it's a new rope traces will remain on it: so that's why after she returned the rope into the seats she returned the extra rope to the tool box and cut it with a cutter knife to then bundle it and leave it along the toolbox.

Fuse, the president, argues that isn't enough of an argument to suspect her.

Conan: "The size of the feet!"
Fuse: "F-feet?"

The freigthers usually place the rope around their shoulders to bundle it up. The bundle's diamater changes according to the person's feet size: the length from the elbow to the wrist is the person's feet size: Conan explains that since the bundle of rope was almost the size of Ran's feet he thought that the slender manager had bundled it. The president tries to argue that maybe someone did it to frame her.

Conan: "Circle lens..."

Hado used circle lens to increase his pupil size: he figured it out by comparing the driver license's photo and the photo taken by the reporter.

Conan: "And one of those lenses is on the manager's back!"

Megure retrieves it and guesses that it must've fallen when she lifted Hado: the president asks the manager why she did this.

Fuse: "Why did you have to kill him? You'd supported him for 17 years!"

Amuro: "You may ask her a lot of times but she can't reply to that... Because she didn't kill him!"

Everyone (save the detective trio, obviously) is surprised.

Amuro: "Where do you think the remaining lens was at? Beneath the pipe seat placed on a corner of the room... In short: the seat had fallen to the ground beneath his hanged body..."

The baseball tied to the kite string was used to toss it and make the ball pass through the bar and so the rope would also pass over the bar. The manager can't toss the ball that high into the air: Hado, who did baseball at high school, could. And there's also the paper with the words "I'm sorry" on the chest pocket.

Amuro: "Yes. He hung himself. And she, who found him, hung him higher to disguise it as a murder... I don't know why she did that but... You made it look like an impossible crime because you didn't want to frame anyone, right?"

The manager explains that, 17 years ago, she was pregnant with Hado's child. Hado used to spend a lot in the studio saying he was working on songs for the child. He worked all night for several days, to the point she thought he'd die.

She then tried to stop him by rushing to the studio but she collapsed before it and suffered miscarriage.

On the hospital she asked the president to keep this a secret from Hado.

Okiya: "I see. One of the the songs he made back then for yet-to-be-born child was "ASACA"... But he didn't get to make lyrics for it and shelved for 17 years..."

Hado had know that recently: he wanted to complete the song in memory of his child and publish it as a new song but he was unable to so he commited suicided after writing "I'm sorry" on the notebook.

But then why make it look like a murder?

If it was established that it was a suicide, a search for the reason he commited suicide would be carried out. She thought it would be hard for the family if they got to know he died because of his ex-girlfriend's child.

Reporter: "Hmpf! What an idiot."
Manager: "Please! Don't make of this an article!"
Reporter: "I can't write what I was asked to write! This sob story doesn't fit with a rock 'n roller..."

The manager is arrested.

Vermouth: "But... We didn't figure it out, did we? Why the Ka in Asaka was written as "Ca"..."
President: "Ah. That. Hado told me once. He got to know about the pregnancy after an sleepless night at "morning, cafe"... If the child was a girl he wanted to name her "Asaka"... Since "kafe" is spelled "cafe" in Alphabet he picked the "ca" from there and made up "ASACA"...
(Note: the Kanji for Asaka used here are different from the ones the bodyguard name uses).
Vermouth: "I see! I understand..."

Ran is glancing at Vermouth, picked by her serious air when she was asking the question before.

Amuro then questions the president if he knew that a member of the backband had been arrested because he had drugs on him. And maybe that was the reason he suggested to Hado that he should retire.

Vermouth: "My. As expected of you. You've got good hearing."
Amuro: "The news has leaked to the net."
Okiya (thinking): "As expected of you..."
Akai (flashback): "As expected of you, Scotch..."

Flashback:
Akai: "You pretended I'd thrown you asides and stole my gun... I'm not going to plead for my life but... Don't you want to hear to what I've got to say before you shoot me?"
Scotch: "I d-didn't steal your gun to shoot you... It was to... do this!"
Akai: "Give it up... If the revolver's cylinder is gripped it's impossible for anyone to pull the trigger... Don't suicide, Scotch... You're not the guy who must die here..."
Scotch: "What!"
Akai: "I'm Akai Shuuichi, infiltrating the Org for the FBI... A dog trying to bite the same guys you're trying to... If you understood that let go of the gun and listen to what I've got to say... It's not hard for me to let you alone run away..."
Scotch: "Y-yeah..."

Footsteps running up the stairs ring out: Akai gets distracted by those and Scotch pulls the trigger: the bullet pierces through the chest pocket's cellphone.
Akai (thinking): "I see... He stole my gun to destroy this... This cellphone... which surely has family and buddies' data..."
Amuro reaches the scene.
Akai: "Treason must be punished... Wasn't it?"

Back to the present
Amuro: "That high neck... I have an impulse to take it off right here yet... I'll leave it at here for today. We'll meet again someday..."

Amuro and Vermouth head back but then Ran shows up.

Ran: "Hum...Azusa - san... No, well... You're not Azusa - san, right? You're probably... surely... hum... The person who's called me "Angel" before..."
Vermouth: "I thought I'd already told you, Ran - chan... You musn't get further involved with us... Because you're... my treasure..."
Ran: ."T-treasure?"
Vermouth (thinking): "Yes... My only 2 treasures in the world..."
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

Detective Conan FILE 957 Review/Discussion:
Spoiler:
Case Discussion

Hado's stage hanging case finally gets its resolution, and as usual, Gosho manages to twist up the truth and surprise us at the end. It ended up being suicide and was disguised as murder by Enjo(below). It's funny how you think you've gone through all the possibilties, but you end up leaving a simple one such as this. I was first following the trail of it being suicide, then came the contradictions of it looking like an planned murder, so mixing them together ended up with what I wrote on the last review.

We also find out that the "ASACA" name of the song was based on the word "dawn"("asa") and "ca"(from "cafe") combined together. I actually thought that information on Hado sitting in a cafe, during dawn, in the past was too trivial that it had to be important and thought maybe he heard the name "Asaca" there, but it ended up being completely unrelated to the BO.

Plot Discussion

We start with entering the awaited flashback that reveals the truth between Akai and Scotch. We start with Scotch tricking Akai and stealing his gun in order to shoot himself(below). It would seem that Akai confronted him and as Scotch tried to resist and Akai thought he succeded in making him unconscious after a little struggle. From the look of the scenario and why they might be there, it looks like Scotch went up to the roof in order to jump off and kill himself. The fact that Scotch didn't have a gun on him indicates that he must have found out about his cover being blown(most likely through phone) while he was somewhere where a gun would be inconvenient or risky. He then hurried to the nearest high building to commit suicide, but got stopped by Akai. Akai must have been following him or got hints of where he could find him somehow.

Then we come to the crucial moment where Akai revealed his true affiliation and that he wants to help him escape(below). It's interesting that I actually predicted this scene where Akai tries to make a deal with him, a long time ago(among ocean of errors ofc:viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12248&start=1215#p823585).

And now comes the tragic part,... where we found out that Scotch shot himself quickly after they both heard someone climbing up the stairs(below). We finally find out how Scotch died and that it was due to the misunderstanding of him thinking that the BO were coming, even though it actually was Rei(Bourbon), his ally. This is another scene that I called a long time ago(but under the assumption that Akai shot Scotch in self-defense). How Bourbon found them has to be by tracking the whereabouts of Scotch's phone, after getting the suicide text(FILE 954).

We find out that Scotch aimed to his heart in order to destroy his phone alongside with him, since it probably contained sensitive info of his identity, his family and PSB coworkers(below). The fact that he had his private phone with him further supports the fact that he was somewhere where a gun would be inconvenient, or risky, like with his family for example. A topic, that is up for discussion, is whether we will ever find out Scotch's true identity. It's certainly possible that we won't find out, since he might not be more relevant to the plot than this, but if Scotch's story ends up connecting to other stories, such as Kuroda, Rum or even the Hondou(if their resemblance means anything), we might find out his true identity. Since Scotch seems to have gotten his codename before Bourbon, if he was the one that shared the info of Vermouth's secret to Rei, we might get a chance to get more info on him. After that, Bourbon's resentment towards Akai grew from the belief that Akai caused Scotch's death(whether it's through forced suicide or not) since Akai took that "honor" himself.

After the flashback, we see a worrisome, but funny, scene where Bourbon says to Okiya(Akai) that he's dying to turn down the high collar in order to check if there's a voice-changing choker(below). Bourbon basically reveals that he is strongly suspicious of him and that he revived his suspicion of Okiya being Akai in disguise (just because he realized in FILE 955 that Okiya(Yusaku) from before was right-handed while the current Okiya(Akai) was a lefty). Gosho simply forshadowed a future confrontation between them, where Bourbon might find out that Akai didn't kill Scotch.

Here comes the juicy part of this chapter! another person who surprisingly revealed that she had a strong suspicion is Ran. We were teased that she thought something was suspicious with Azusa, who in fact is Vermouth in disguise, since she called Ran "angel", just like the "kidnapper"(Vermouth) from FILE 434. Ran just took the huge step of confronting Azusa(Vermouth) asking her if she's the "kidnapper"(below). That scene just rose Ran's character development to a new level and did her perceptiveness(which we have seen a lot of before Kir arc) justice.

Vermouth gives her the most heart-melting answer that further provides us with in-depth look into her character and her feelings. She answers Ran with that she should stop digging any deeper and enter her world, because of the danger that awaits, and that Ran is her treasure(below). She then follows up her touching answer, in her mind, that Shinichi and Ran are the only treasures she has in this world(below). Getting this development of Ran and Vermouth was the best thing we could ask for after they appeared in the same case for the first time and I certainly see hope for Ran's future development and involvement in the main plot(like towards FILE 434).
Judging by the side-note(below), it looks like we might get a Heiji case, since Gosho even mentioned about a romance comedy being involved in FILE 958.

DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Spoiler:
That'd make Amuro's character even more exhausting, not to mention it'd make him seem like a petty clownish drama queen (well, he's already a bit of a clown, though).
haibaralove

Post by haibaralove »

Spoiler:
what do u think is 'that famous detective' refers to for #file 958...is it Shinichi or Heiji???...I know many people are thinking heiji..?but I hope it is Shinichi...I really want him to appear now :-[ >:( .
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

haibaralove wrote:
Spoiler:
what do u think is 'that famous detective' refers to for #file 958...is it Shinichi or Heiji???...I know many people are thinking heiji..?but I hope it is Shinichi...I really want him to appear now :-[ >:( .
I bet it's Kogorou :P.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
haibaralove

Post by haibaralove »

Nemomon wrote:
haibaralove wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
safe to assume that :D
Themaninarmor
It's not about me

Post by Themaninarmor »

haibaralove wrote:
Nemomon wrote:
haibaralove wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Me too. But it will be interesting if shinichi the one that appear and how he act in front of subaru. :)
ran mamijo kun
katara kare anya masuno
haibaralove

Post by haibaralove »

Themaninarmor wrote:
haibaralove wrote:
Nemomon wrote:
haibaralove wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Me too. But it will be interesting if shinichi the one that appear and how he act in front of subaru. :)
Spoiler:
Even I want to see that how he acts in front of Subaru ;) :D
iiRoYaL

Post by iiRoYaL »

haibaralove wrote:
Themaninarmor wrote:
haibaralove wrote:
Nemomon wrote:
haibaralove wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Even I want to see that how he acts in front of Subaru ;) :D
Spoiler:
It'd be interesting, but I don't think so, if he'll appear in the next case, probably in front of Masumi or just a ShinRan case!