Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 954-957

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Kor
Administrator

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 954-957

Post by Kor »

I'm lazy so I'll just copy paste my initial reaction to the spoilers from the cbox:
Spoiler:
Oh look, Scotch's death was entirely not Akai's fault and the only reason Bourbon hates Akai so much is due to a giant misunderstanding. Who would have thought...
So not only has Bourbon's entire 7 years quest and obsession has been completely unjustified by the narrative (gee, thanks...), it very much IS melodrama, and this is soap opera to the max.
rfsuki

Post by rfsuki »

Why did some friends here criticize Gosho so much for his writing in this chapter?
Spoiler:
I wonder what can be done to make it good writing in your opinion.
IMO, I don't want Akai to be the person who actually pulled the trigger and killed Scotch. Akai is a good guy from the beginning, to the extent that he didn't blame Camel for Akemi's death (though Camel is indeed the reason why Akai's cover got blown in the first place). So having AKai actually kill Scotch would damage the "good image" of Akai that Gosho has been trying to create.
By making in a misunderstanding like this, neither Akai nor Rei was the cold-blooded or stubborn guy here. It was just an accident. Maybe Akai didn't tell Rei the whole thing is because he doesn't want Rei to feel guilty for Scotch's death.
In short, I'm satisfied with this revelation from Gosho. Just my opinion and reaction though.
I just wonder whether Akai will one day tell Rei everything or he will still keep the whole truth to himself.

But there's one more thing I'm still not sure. According to Chekov McGuffin's analysis, both Shuichi's left hand and Scotch's right hand must have touched the gun that killed Scotch. However in chapter 956 we all saw that Akai's left hand wasn't holding a gun. So when and from where did Scotch pull out the gun and shot himself so fast that Akai couldn't react in time to save Scotch?

Sorry for my bad English.
Also thanks Spimer for the spoilers translation. I'm still learning Japanese ^^.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

@rfsuki: it's nothing. I want to contribute. And good luck with your Japanese learning.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

Spimer wrote:Sorry for the late post: was out most of the morning.
Spoiler:
File 957: The truth of betrayal

Amuro asks a forensic to give him a rope identical to the one used in the murder and demonstrates the trick.
He uses a "transport knot" [a type of knot used to tie ropes when transporting things] and easily lifts Takagi by usey the pulley principle.
Only the manager, who'd worked in a freightening company before, can do this kind of knot but she's NOT the culprit. She did it to camouflage Rokumichi's SUICIDE.
(He'd originally died at a lower height).

ASACA turns out to be 2 girls: it seem that Rokumichi picked the name based on both of them knowing they were pregnant at the "Asa" "Ca"fe. But Rokumichi got to know they'd had a miscarriage after 17 years and added lyrics to an unpublished song... Supposedly. Because he killed himself without coming up with the lyrics. The reporter says that he won't make an article out of this: this type of stuff doesn't fit with a rock n' roller.

The manager is arrested for damaging the corpse: Megure mutters that she'll surely try to defer the prosecution to extenuation. The stuff with the backband member having drugs on him has already leaked to the net.

Akai did try to stop Scotch from killing him but Scotch got afraid at hearing the approaching footsteps and shoot himself: to destroy the phone he had on his chest pocket.

Ran asks Azusa who she really is but Azusa shoots back "don't get further involved" and doesn't answer.
Vermouth (thinking): "Because you're... one of my 2 treasures... the only ones I have in the world..."

Side-note:A lot of truths have been revealed...! Next number: THAT great detective appears!
Spoiler:
Wanted to ask something: presume did a tentative translation about the cafe part and wrote this:
presumenothing: tentative spoiler translations, #957 "The truth of betrayal": Manager lady tried to cover up Rokumichi's suicide by raising the body higher with a rope and pulley trick. ASACA was the name of their daughter, given because they learned about the pregnancy in the morning ("ASA" in Japanese) at a CAfe.
Is this more accurate or not? Because it sounds a lot better that he named his child after the time of the day he learned of the pregnancy and not just that the cafe was called "Asa" :)
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

@Serinox:
Spoiler:
The word used (娘 = musume) can mean both "daugther" and "girl". 2 daugthers knowing they were pregnant or 2 girls knowing they were pregnant... In essence it's saying 2 women who knew they were pregnant so...
But it doesn't say anywhere that either of them was Rokumichi's daugther: just a story that Rokumichi was supposed to use as basis for the song lyrics.
That part about Rokumichi having married was a rumor, mind you.
ASACA was a combination of "Asa" (morning) "ca" (cafe): "Morning Cafe".
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
ATEM

Post by ATEM »

rfsuki wrote:Why did some friends here criticize Gosho so much for his writing in this chapter?
Spoiler:
IMO, I don't want Akai to be the person who actually pulled the trigger and killed Scotch. Akai is a good guy from the beginning, to the extent that he didn't blame Camel for Akemi's death (though Camel is indeed the reason why Akai's cover got blown in the first place). So having AKai actually kill Scotch would damage the "good image" of Akai that Gosho has been trying to create.
By making in a misunderstanding like this, neither Akai nor Rei was the cold-blooded or stubborn guy here. It was just an accident. Maybe Akai didn't tell Rei the whole thing is because he doesn't want Rei to feel guilty for Scotch's death.
In short, I'm satisfied with this revelation from Gosho. Just my opinion and reaction though.
I just wonder whether Akai will one day tell Rei everything or he will still keep the whole truth to himself.

But there's one more thing I'm still not sure. According to Chekov McGuffin's analysis, both Shuichi's left hand and Scotch's right hand must have touched the gun that killed Scotch. However in chapter 956 we all saw that Akai's left hand wasn't holding a gun. So when and from where did Scotch pull out the gun and shot himself so fast that Akai couldn't react in time to save Scotch?

Also thanks Spimer for the spoilers translation. I'm still learning Japanese ^^.
Spoiler:
I don't know about what others think but you are right this is the best fitting explanation I really didn't want to see akai killing scotch and I believed from the start that this what happened since gosho won't make the hero of his story that accuses murdering a murderer and it seems that his intentions is to team akai and shinichi as the two silver bullets if akai was a killer he would have lost shinich's trust and respect but on the other hand this was too much expected why to make this too long there are people out there have been waiting for more than 7 years it could have been too much shorter and he maybe just revealed it now to fit with the movie " the movie won't reveal any much important details in my opinion " I am following the manga for 3 years only and I am getting sad so I give them the right to get angry and criticising ;D ;D
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Spimer wrote:
Spoiler:
File 957: The truth of betrayal

Amuro asks a forensic to give him a rope identical to the one used in the murder and demonstrates the trick.
He uses a "transport knot" [a type of knot used to tie ropes when transporting things] and easily lifts Takagi by usey the pulley principle.
Only the manager, who'd worked in a freightening company before, can do this kind of knot but she's NOT the culprit. She did it to camouflage Rokumichi's SUICIDE.
(He'd originally died at a lower height).

ASACA turns out to be 2 girls: it seem that Rokumichi picked the name based on both of them knowing they were pregnant at the "Asa" "Ca"fe. But Rokumichi got to know they'd had a miscarriage after 17 years and added lyrics to an unpublished song... Supposedly. Because he killed himself without coming up with the lyrics. The reporter says that he won't make an article out of this: this type of stuff doesn't fit with a rock n' roller.

The manager is arrested for damaging the corpse: Megure mutters that she'll surely try to defer the prosecution to extenuation. The stuff with the backband member having drugs on him has already leaked to the net.

Akai did try to stop Scotch from killing him but Scotch got afraid at hearing the approaching footsteps and shoot himself: to destroy the phone he had on his chest pocket.

Ran asks Azusa who she really is but Azusa shoots back "don't get further involved" and doesn't answer.
Vermouth (thinking): "Because you're... one of my 2 treasures... the only ones I have in the world..."

Side-note:A lot of truths have been revealed...! Next number: THAT great detective appears!
Spoiler:
This is classic Gosho—murderous intent caused by misunderstanding.

Wow, Ran straight up confronts Vermouth and Vermouth responds as herself, really... didn't expect that.

We're either getting a Heiji case, next time, or a Kid case... (first in nearly 3 years—this was the longest period of no Kid since the gap between Sunset Manor Murder (299–302/219) and Miraculous Midair Walk (453–456/356)) with Saguru Hakuba (his first appearance in nearly ten years (Detective Koshien; 562–566/479))!

EDIT:
Or this "great detective" could be Shinichi (thanks to Serinox and your most recent tumblr post for reminding me that Shinichi could be the one, as well! :)).
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
MoonRaven
DCTP's 赤死
-
Cbox: Akai Tsuki
-
The paranoid and homicidial townie of DCTP Mafia

Post by MoonRaven »

My thoughts after spoilers: Ran, no. Wrong person to speak to.
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:Never ignore coincidence. Unless you are busy. Then always ignore the coincidence.
My dA
My AO3
My FF
My Tumblr
Dream or Not finished at 72 chapters

Chapter 33 of Leap to Relatively Unknown updated 12.9.20

Chapter 8 of the sequel, Leaping into the Dream updated 6.10.19

Chapter 2 of The Crow's Song updated 19.7.18
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

MoonRaven wrote:My thoughts after spoilers: Ran, no. Wrong person to speak to.
Spoiler:
Well, she did... and Vermouth's response... shouldn't that get just as many "no, don't do that"s?

In fact, Ran's not in any danger from doing that.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Fennec

Post by Fennec »

ATEM wrote:
rfsuki wrote:Why did some friends here criticize Gosho so much for his writing in this chapter?
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I don't know about what others think but you are right this is the best fitting explanation I really didn't want to see akai killing scotch and I believed from the start that this what happened since gosho won't make the hero of his story that accuses murdering a murderer and it seems that his intentions is to team akai and shinichi as the two silver bullets if akai was a killer he would have lost shinich's trust and respect but on the other hand this was too much expected why to make this too long there are people out there have been waiting for more than 7 years it could have been too much shorter and he maybe just revealed it now to fit with the movie " the movie won't reveal any much important details in my opinion " I am following the manga for 3 years only and I am getting sad so I give them the right to get angry and criticising ;D ;D
I think what's so disappointing about this particular twist is this:
Spoiler:
Amuro is show to be a very smart detective who can see things others can't, and also very level-headed. That makes it strange that he didn't ever think of Scotch committing suicide as a possibility before. Even if he was upset at Scotch's death, at least two years have passed, giving him plenty of time to think about it and analyze it outside the heat of the moment. Given its impact on him he'd probably think about it a lot—which also makes it strange that he's only NOW realizing that Scotch's thumb didn't have any blood on it. It's one thing to realize it while looking at a photo, but the fact he realizes it while randomly remembering the death means he recognized it back then, but somehow didn't register it until now.

Basically, the "blinded by hatred" reasoning for this misunderstanding continuing for so long feels out of character for Amuro and a cheap ploy by Gosho.
Kudo Shinchi
No comment......

Post by Kudo Shinchi »

Fennec wrote:
ATEM wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Amuro is show to be a very smart detective who can see things others can't, and also very level-headed. That makes it strange that he didn't ever think of Scotch committing suicide as a possibility before. Even if he was upset at Scotch's death, at least two years have passed, giving him plenty of time to think about it and analyze it outside the heat of the moment. Given its impact on him he'd probably think about it a lot—which also makes it strange that he's only NOW realizing that Scotch's thumb didn't have any blood on it. It's one thing to realize it while looking at a photo, but the fact he realizes it while randomly remembering the death means he recognized it back then, but somehow didn't register it until now.

Basically, the "blinded by hatred" reasoning for this misunderstanding continuing for so long feels out of character for Amuro and a cheap ploy by Gosho.
Spoiler:
Two things (and I've bolded where I seriously disagree):

-Amuro is very far from level-headed. If anything, he is as prone to succumbing to strong emotions/ acting irrationally as someone like Heiji. This is his main character flaw (and what makes him so interesting to me). As a character, he's meant as a passionate, emotional foil to Akai's stoicism and level-headedness. We've seen over and over how Amuro lets his emotions get in the way of his deductions/plans (again, to me that tension is part of what makes him interesting). Amuro wasn't being level-headed when he smiled at Chianti, who was pointing a gun at him, just for the satisfaction of taunting her, or when he basically put getting revenge on Akai before his actual mission of infiltrating and getting promoted in the BO. Amuro being irrationally angry about Scotch's death is consistent with everything we've seen up to this point. He's a man with strong feelings and is not very good at controlling them.

-A lot of people have have misunderstood this part, so Gosho probably should have written it in a clearer manner. Basically, Amuro isn't just realizing this stuff now. He already knew from the get-go. He's only recounting it to himself for the benefit of us the readers, so we can know what his issue with Akai is. The point here is that Amuro knows that Scotch killed himself but still hates Akai anyways for failing to prevent it. Not the most sensible hatred, but considering Scotch's importance to Amuro, it makes sense. Amuro needs someone to blame, and that someone is Akai. More importantly, there is no misunderstanding here. Akai really did fail to prevent Scotch's suicide. Even if it isn't his fault, that's not going to stop Amuro from hating him, which means their whole conflict is not going to be brushed away as a "misunderstanding."
wrd

Post by wrd »

Kudo Shinchi wrote:
Fennec wrote:
ATEM wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

-Amuro is very far from level-headed. If anything, he is as prone to succumbing to strong emotions/ acting irrationally as someone like Heiji. This is his main character flaw (and what makes him so interesting to me). As a character, he's meant as a passionate, emotional foil to Akai's stoicism and level-headedness. We've seen over and over how Amuro lets his emotions get in the way of his deductions/plans (again, to me that tension is part of what makes him interesting). Amuro wasn't being level-headed when he smiled at Chianti, who was pointing a gun at him, just for the satisfaction of taunting her, or when he basically put getting revenge on Akai before his actual mission of infiltrating and getting promoted in the BO. Amuro being irrationally angry about Scotch's death is consistent with everything we've seen up to this point. He's a man with strong feelings and is not very good at controlling them.

-A lot of people have have misunderstood this part, so Gosho probably should have written it in a clearer manner. Basically, Amuro isn't just realizing this stuff now. He already knew from the get-go. He's only recounting it to himself for the benefit of us the readers, so we can know what his issue with Akai is. The point here is that Amuro knows that Scotch killed himself but still hates Akai anyways for failing to prevent it. Not the most sensible hatred, but considering Scotch's importance to Amuro, it makes sense. Amuro needs someone to blame, and that someone is Akai. More importantly, there is no misunderstanding here. Akai really did fail to prevent Scotch's suicide. Even if it isn't his fault, that's not going to stop Amuro from hating him, which means their whole conflict is not going to be brushed away as a "misunderstanding."
Totally agree.
Ellery

Post by Ellery »

Kudo Shinchi wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Speculation:
- When Scotch is discovered to be a spy, Akai is ordered to kill him.
- Akai warns Scotch, hoping that he can escape
- Scotch tells Akai that this will expose his friend to danger
if the organization learns who Scotch is, they will find out that Bourbon is his friend
therefore Scotch needs to die in such a way that his identity remains secret.
- Scotch then kills himself in such a way that it looks as if Akai is obeying instructions.

This seems to fit the facts and Akai's character
rfsuki

Post by rfsuki »

Ellery wrote:
Spoiler:
Speculation:
- When Scotch is discovered to be a spy, Akai is ordered to kill him.
- Akai warns Scotch, hoping that he can escape
- Scotch tells Akai that this will expose his friend to danger
if the organization learns who Scotch is, they will find out that Bourbon is his friend
therefore Scotch needs to die in such a way that his identity remains secret.
- Scotch then kills himself in such a way that it looks as if Akai is obeying instructions.

This seems to fit the facts and Akai's character
Spoiler:
I can't agree with the bolded part. I think when Scotch died, Akai didn't know Bourbon was a spy yet. Perhaps Scotch had intended to tell Akai but he got panic due to the footsteps and shot himself before he could tell Akai about that. This explains why Akai said those cold words to Bourbon (when Bourbon reached the scene) to make it look like he killed Scotch with his old hand.
DCUniverseAficionado

Kudo Shinchi wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Rei's/Tooru's anger at Shuichi is just increasingly magnified, here, compared to Shiho's/Ai's Shinichi/Conan in 181/129 over Akemi's death—both Shinichi/Conan and Shuichi failed to prevent the deaths of Akemi and Scotch. Rei/Tooru has just taken it to a level I don't think Shiho/Ai even began to consider.

One of my previous posts said that this situation was a misunderstanding—I must admit that said post is incorrect. This was NOT a misunderstanding.

Anyone who also made a post saying that this was a misunderstanding—do you stick by your initial claim that the Bourbon arc is based on a misunderstanding?