Interview Gosho Aoyama 2016

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Interview Gosho Aoyama 2016

Post by Spimer »

I've seen no-one bring it up on the other threads so I thought I might as well make a thread about it.

I've gathered and translated the questions on the spoiler box below:
Spoiler:
Q: Ran's always using a Gallpagos phone: won't she switch to a smartphone at some point?
A: W-well... You're right. It's a complicated topic... Well... Hum... It feels a bit ankward that it doesn't close somewhat but...
Maybe I'll change it someday, or so I think from time to time... Sorry.

Q: Volume 85, when Bourbon and Vermouth are talking about how Gin suspects spies are getting in: is that foreshadowing?
A: Foreshadowing, huh. Well... Yes, it is. This year's movie will be more or less about that so...

Q: Well... Someone asked to me ask this but... Kir, Bourbon, Cherry (guess he meant to say Sherry), their eyes turn into foreigners when BO mode: are they mixed race?
A: Ah... No, nott really. When Conan gets surprised he also gets foreigner-like eyes so... I draw them like that when I want to portray scared eyes: there's no special meaning to them. Sorry.
But they maybe (some odd word: apparently Gosho can't come up with the word he wants to use) half, even.
(According to the person who wrote this it might be that he was trying to think of alternative word to "half", another way to tell mixed race characters apart)

Q: Now... This year's film "The Darknest Nightmare": what color feelings do you think we should give to this pitch black movie? What's the fitting color in your opinion?
A: Huh! That's a bit dangerous (in the sense that he has to avoid spoilers). Hum... Well, I guess each viewer should choose their own color... I think. It's a bit hard to say. Sorry.

Q: Volume 88. Sato's flashy outfit: are those plain clothes? In the same volume: Takagi Wataru is wearing flashy too but has his police notebook got downgraded to senior policeman, did you know?
He should be a police sergeant but both the Shonen Sunday chapter and the volume chapter read "senior policeman".
A: It got mistaken with police sergeant. Sorry, I meant, he IS a police sergeant.
And... Maybe Sato's plain clothes were borrowed frum Yumi?
Incidentally, the next case involves Yumi and Sato... Well... That's... It begins with a scene having the 2 of them walking in front of Shinjuku's Alta. (Fashion store in Tokyo)
Chuukichi also shows up.

Q: Is there a "fake" (a red herring) in the manga that no-one's noticed yet?
A: Ah... Huh... There is. No-one's noticed it yet. It'll soon be reffered to. In Volume 18 (speculated to be the APTX victim list and the "Haneda" name there)

Q: Eh... I think that there might be people like Amuro or Akai from the PSB or the FBI sneaking int the BO but...
Could there be the inverse, that BO are sneaking into Japanese police or FBI or in Conan's surroundings?
A: Ah... You bring up a painful topic... (Might be his way of saying: "I won't tell you")

Q: Could they be inside of characters who've already shown up or will show up in the future?
A: That's... welll... No comment. Please switch question topic.

Q: Also... Maybe you can't tell us but... Who's the girl that Sera's hiding?
A: I can't say that but... Really. Are there no other topics?

Q: Also... Maybe you can't tell us but... Is Vermouth an ally?
A: Huh? I can't say that. Really. An ally? (Looks troubled). Are you finished?

Q: Vermouth and Shinichi's mom knew other as fellow actresses but... Both know a lot about each other and seem to get along pretty well but...
How should I put it like...? How well do they get along?
A: Well... They're both actresses.

Q: I meant: how do they get along about how they know a lot about each other?
A: Not really.

Q: Please give us a hint regarding what you've said about that of Volume 18 no-one knows about!
A: You bring it up...? Why...? I'm saying no-one knows it... Hmmmm...
Well... You could say that someone might show up... When you see their name you'll go "Really?" or something like that...
Hmmm... Sheesh. Let's leave it at there. You'll enjoy it when you read it so look forward to it.

Q: Is there someone, some character that proved to be very hard to draw or think of?
A: Ah. Hmmm... Huh... Not sure... Akai or Gin, maybe. I wanted them to be cool and scary at the same time and it proved to be hard to.
The conté crayons I drew recently ago needed several redos.... It was rather... Hum... Somewhat... Let's leave it at there.
If I go I might end up spoilering something so.
(Gosho) President: I don't have much time to fix these... (President?) It's a bit wrong... (Gosho) What's a bit wrong?
Yeah. You see, it became like a hoodlum, even. Felt like behaving like Gin, even.

Q: What's with Ran's hairstyle?
A: Ah. Sorry. That must be it... T-that's, well, ended up like that, I guess. Hmmm... I wanted it to be a hairstyle with style so... I went with that symbol... Or, rather...
... Make it so that you can tell it's Ran even from a distance. Like when she's in the midst of a crowd... So that's why I made it like that. Sorry.
More like AstroBoy's angel head.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Heliotropic

Re: Interview Gosho Aoyama 2016

Post by Heliotropic »

Thanks for translating!

During the event they showed several different question slides (http://imgur.com/a/Nqof7) - Is anything on them worth mentioning?
EDIT: They were translated by a FB user: Ghaitsariadna

Nothing important, but if anyone is interested in it...
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
ATEM

Post by ATEM »

Thanks for the translations :)
Vol. 18 included two cases shinichi first love the girl's name was asami I think and the case where haibara was introduced in !!!! What does he actually mean by fake ?!!!
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

@ATEM:
Spoiler:
"Fake" is how they named a red herring in Japanese. Something to throw you off the track. A fake clue. The Volume 18 Haibara introduction case included a list with the APTX victims and the name "Haneda" was on it. Some speculate that he means that "Haneda" in the list isn't linked to Haneda Shuukichi.
But I don't think it can be really named a "red herring" since I can't believe Gosho having planned THAT far ahead.
Oh well. Time will tell.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
AICHAN
Curry time!

Post by AICHAN »

hmm there aren't many useful information...It's a bit vague compared to the previous interviews....
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mangaluva wrote:
"I've built a wall not to keep people out, but to see who loves me enough to climb over it."
[/quote]
ATEM

Post by ATEM »

Spimer wrote:@ATEM:
Spoiler:
"Fake" is how they named a red herring in Japanese. Something to throw you off the track. A fake clue. The Volume 18 Haibara introduction case included a list with the APTX victims and the name "Haneda" was on it. Some speculate that he means that "Haneda" in the list isn't linked to Haneda Shuukichi.
But I don't think it can be really named a "red herring" since I can't believe Gosho having planned THAT far ahead.
Oh well. Time will tell.

It depends if he meant by a fake a character ,an event or a clue although from what I understood that he said that when we read his name or something like that we will be surperised so I think it's a fake person or a person caused fake events !!!!
for this Haneda thing i don't think so too it's really far even if he intended those plots since then because gosho said that none was able to find out till now that it was a fake thing it seems to be really important thing but for Haneda he just appeared for 4 times I think and all the speculations about him for that he is the middle brother but the aptx victims list is a new theory and a new discovery I recently heard about it so even if the list meant shuukichi or that he is related to someone of the victims or his name is just a red herring I don't see that an important thing to be considered fake as as far as I know not much people believe or even know about the list thing !!!
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

I've created photo albums for the Jan 1st Autograph Signing at the Manga Factory, and the Jan 2nd Lets Talk Day events. Because of so many people taking photos, there are a lot of repeats of some parts. I've included as many copies as possible on purpose. Also there were many more images for the Signing, but I chose to exclude any image where the person in the photo intentionally scratched out their own face or had their face blocked in some way.

Manga Factory Signing
http://imgur.com/a/AkNYT

Lets Talk Day
http://imgur.com/a/e9j8G

Many of the people who went to these events arrived to Tottori through Conan Airport and uploaded lots of images of the inside where all the exhibits are located. Also they explored the area and took photos of all of the statues along Conan Road, as well as Conan station and train. There also seems to be a Conan car and bus. I'm still sorting through all of those photos.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
bash7353
部下の手柄は上司のもの
上司の失敗は部下の責任

Post by bash7353 »

Translations for the question slides:
Spoiler:
If there products that appear in the series were commercially available, which do you think fans would be pleased about the most?
Red: Kazuha’s Charm
White: Fuzae Brand Purse
Blue: Kamen Yaiba Figure
Green: Jeet Kune Do Home Videos of the Sera Family’s eldest brother

If there were only one out of the movies for which there isn’t a poster drawn by Aoyama-sensei you could draw a poster for, which would you want to draw?

If you could request cooperation from the various international organisations that have appeared in the series and have been listed in "Detective Conan 60+" to take down the Black Organisation, which organisation would you want to lend a hand?
Red: FBI
White: CIA
Blue: 公安警察 (kouan keisatsu) (Japanese intelligence)
Green: SIS

There are many cases in ‘Detective Conan’ that are related to ‘Sherlock Holmes’, but if Conan Doyle could read them, which one would you recommend?
Red: Holmes Freak Murder Case
Blue: The Locked Room in the Sky - Shinichi Kudo's First Case
Green: The 3 "K"s of Osaka Case
White: Holmes' Revelation

If there were a Detective Conan RPG, which character would you play at first?
Red: Mouri Ran (Weapon: Her Bare Hands)
White: Akai Shuuichi (Weapon: Rifle)
Blue: Edogawa Conan (Weapon: Soccer Ball, Tranquilliser Gun)
Green: Haibara Ai (Weapon: Scientific Magic)

In an interview with Edogawa Conan’s voice actor Takayama Minami, she said “I would like to see a story about a day without any incident as well”. What peaceful everyday life story would you like to draw?
Red: Teitan Elementary School’s Sports Day
White: Takagi and Sato’s date without a case
Blue: crash course scene of “something I was taught by my father in Hawaii”
Green: Black Organisation’s wonderful (?) holiday

For which out of these four movies did drawing the poster take the most time?
Red: 17
Blue: 20
Green: 14
White: 19

“Ran Girl / Shinichi Boy” is drawn from the points of view of two people. Which out of these cases would it be the most interesting to draw from a different point of view?
Red: “One Million Yen Robbery Case” from Akemi Miyano’s perspective
White: “Mystery Train” from Kaitou Kid’s perspective
Blue: “Scarlet Series” from disguised Kudo Yuusaku’s perspective
Green: First day of “Kudo Shinichi’s New York Case” from Sharon’s perspective

Last year’s opening of Conan Cafes in many places ended in a great success. But if all the male characters were to open a “Conan Cafe for men”, for what product do you think the most orders would pour in?
Red: Kudo Yukiko’s recipe! Okiya Subaru’s Rice Curry
Blue: Amuro Tooru’s Homemade Poirot Sandwich
Green: Kan-chan’s “Hangoroshi” [Which in this case means Botamochi, but could also be understood as “Half-Kill”. That caused confusion in Chapter 681 or Epsiode 557]
White: Kuroda Hyoue’s delicious black tea
I don't think Haibara would be too pleased with her weapon in the RPG question.
Last edited by bash7353 on January 5th, 2016, 6:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Vad ska jag annars vara?" - "Det vet jag inte. Det måste du svara på. Men om du släpper allt du tror att du måste, och frågar dig vad du vill... Vad vill du då?"
描いた夢は叶わないことの方が多い
秀れた人を羨んでは自分が嫌になる
浅い眠りに押し潰されそう夜もある
優しい隣人が陰で牙を向いていたり

惰性で観てたテレビ消すみたいに生きることを時々辞めたくなる

人生は苦痛ですか 成功が全てですか
僕はあなたにあなたに ただ逢いたいだけ
信じたい嘘 効かない薬 帰れないサヨナラ
叫べ叫べ叫べ   逢いたいだけ
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Kuroda has his own tea brand now?
bash7353
部下の手柄は上司のもの
上司の失敗は部下の責任

Post by bash7353 »

The translation should say 'black tea', I changed it now. That is not a reference to his name which includes the kanji for black, though, because as far as the Japanese language is concerned, there is nothing black about black tea. It seems it's a reference to Chapter 913. People talk about him liking black tea or something.
"Vad ska jag annars vara?" - "Det vet jag inte. Det måste du svara på. Men om du släpper allt du tror att du måste, och frågar dig vad du vill... Vad vill du då?"
描いた夢は叶わないことの方が多い
秀れた人を羨んでは自分が嫌になる
浅い眠りに押し潰されそう夜もある
優しい隣人が陰で牙を向いていたり

人生は苦痛ですか 成功が全てですか
僕はあなたにあなたに ただ逢いたいだけ
信じたい嘘 効かない薬 帰れないサヨナラ
叫べ叫べ叫べ   逢いたいだけ
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

bash7353 wrote: Green: First day of “Kudo Shinichi’s New York Case” from Jodie’s perspective
This should probably say "Sharon" since its her name and picture on the slide
plus Jodie isn't in that case
k11chi wrote:Kuroda has his own tea brand now?
bash7353 wrote:It seems it's a reference to Chapter 913. People talk about him liking black tea or something.
Yeah, the Nagano trio were talking about making coffee, but one reminded the other that that was the old chief's favorite drink, the new chief liked black tea. The tea itself is actually red in color. Its made several other appearances as well, its the tea that Sakurako served in her first appearance and drank herself in her third appearance, and its the drink that Agasa used for his "trick" in Scarlet epilogue.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
bash7353
部下の手柄は上司のもの
上司の失敗は部下の責任

Post by bash7353 »

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
bash7353 wrote: Green: First day of “Kudo Shinichi’s New York Case” from Jodie’s perspective
This should probably say "Sharon" since its her name and picture on the slide
plus Jodie isn't in that case
Yeah, you're right. I'll change that, too.
描いた夢は叶わないことの方が多い
秀れた人を羨んでは自分が嫌になる
浅い眠りに押し潰されそう夜もある
優しい隣人が陰で牙を向いていたり

人生は苦痛ですか 成功が全てですか
僕はあなたにあなたに ただ逢いたいだけ
信じたい嘘 効かない薬 帰れないサヨナラ
叫べ叫べ叫べ   逢いたいだけ
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

Someone edited to the wiki to say that Movie 21 was mentioned and that it would be about a Shinichi and Ran love story with Kansai couple involved as well. That's certainly a plausible movie formulation, but does anyone have links to an authoritative source?
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

Talked about this in the Cbox already, but just for the record in this thread:

This bit about M21 was brought up in this summary of the event http://bbs.aptx.cn/thread-293089-1-1.html who apparently quote the sentence " 来年の映画は、新一と蘭のラブラブ話で関西組も出ます。" (Next year's movie will be a love story of Shinichi and Ran. The Kansai members will apeear, too.) from this blog http://ameblo.jp/fuuyuu-xxx-sakurachan/ ... 38312.html but both sources just list it besides the QA that is translated above, without any indication who is supposed to have said it or why. All other blogs that posted about it afterwards seem to always refer to these first two sites, but never more than that as far as I can tell.
ProfParanoia

Post by ProfParanoia »

GREEN : Haibara Ai
S.A: Scientific soccery
Truly there is no prouder tradition in comics to draw from.
Spoiler: