Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-947

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » January 12th, 2016, 1:35 pm

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
No matter how hard I look, I can't really make out the kanji for Akai anywhere on that photo, might need a better scan. Wasn't the Akai name possible being in there only speculation by SkyBlue's blog anyway?


Spoiler:
Image
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Serinox
User avatar
Posts: 536

Contact:

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby Serinox » January 12th, 2016, 1:42 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
No matter how hard I look, I can't really make out the kanji for Akai anywhere on that photo, might need a better scan. Wasn't the Akai name possible being in there only speculation by SkyBlue's blog anyway?


Spoiler:
Image

Spoiler:
That's so small, it could be almost anything. Even if I zoom in 200% and squint my eyes, it takes a lot of imagination for me to see the kanji for Akai there. Might as well say "世良" for "Sera" for all I can see in there.
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » January 12th, 2016, 1:46 pm

Serinox wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
No matter how hard I look, I can't really make out the kanji for Akai anywhere on that photo, might need a better scan. Wasn't the Akai name possible being in there only speculation by SkyBlue's blog anyway?


Spoiler:
Image

Spoiler:
That's so small, it could be almost anything. Even if I zoom in 200% and squint my eyes, it takes a lot of imagination for me to see the kanji for Akai there.


Spoiler:
I don't know if it's really there or not, but a blogger who knows the language better than me came to that conclusion—maybe they read it right or wrong. But if it is true, then it must be the marriage form, and not just a trick—do you think Shukichi would tell the manager about his family?
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Serinox
User avatar
Posts: 536

Contact:

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby Serinox » January 12th, 2016, 1:57 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
No matter how hard I look, I can't really make out the kanji for Akai anywhere on that photo, might need a better scan. Wasn't the Akai name possible being in there only speculation by SkyBlue's blog anyway?


Spoiler:
Image

Spoiler:
That's so small, it could be almost anything. Even if I zoom in 200% and squint my eyes, it takes a lot of imagination for me to see the kanji for Akai there.


Spoiler:
I don't know if it's really there or not, but a blogger who knows the language better than me came to that conclusion—maybe they read it right or wrong. But if it is true, then it must be the marriage form, and not just a trick—do you think Shukichi would tell the manager about his family?

Spoiler:
I think the blogger only speculated, that since it is a marriage form, we might get to see the names for the parents when we properly get to see the registration form and not that it is in the current file already iirc.

Also, why not? The manager knows him for over ten years and seems to be an avid fan. There might've been a time when they talked about that.

Unrelated to that, btw, if Shuukichi is the middle brother, his name back when the manager played him in Shogi in Middle School should've been Shuukichi Sera, so maybe that will come in a conversation next chapter.
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » January 12th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
I think the blogger only speculated, that since it is a marriage form, we might get to see the names for the parents when we properly get to see the registration form and not that it is in the current file already iirc.


Spoiler:
When I clicked on the image in question, and asked google to search for similar images, there was one that was on Weibo—it had the same area highlighted. (https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ww1.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/8fd7aa03jw1ezs3qtdwxvj20t715vdsn.jpg&imgrefurl=http://tw.weibo.com/nagimagica&h=631&w=440&tbnid=Fny2FGo88is5fM&tbnh=269&tbnw=187&usg=__xTlZdiIEq_RfiAkqo07pGbusZcA=&docid=pgkBGzxdG8eBiM – this one actually gives a better look) After looking up Japanese marriage registration forms, I found out that, on the fourth line—which is where the highlighted area is—is for information about the parents.


Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
Also, why not? The manager knows him for over ten years and seems to be an avid fan. There might've been a time when they talked about that.

Unrelated to that, btw, if Shuukichi is the middle brother, his name back when the manager played him in Shogi in Middle School should've been Shuukichi Sera, so maybe that will come in a conversation next chapter.


Spoiler:
The translation says the manager and Shukichi played ten years before current events, when Shukichi was eighteen. Shukichi, at this point, likely already graduated from high school, and, thus, could've already had his surname changed.

Image

If the death of his father was part of the reason for the surname change (and it likely was tied to the BO, in some way), there's no reason to think this information, at the time was (and, given that his surname is still Haneda, maybe still is) dangerous, and that no one should be told about it.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Serinox
User avatar
Posts: 536

Contact:

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby Serinox » January 12th, 2016, 2:51 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Spoiler:
The translation says the manager and Shukichi played ten years before current events, when Shukichi was eighteen. Shukichi, at this point, likely already graduated from high school, and, thus, could've already had his surname changed.

Image

If the death of his father was part of the reason for the surname change (and it likely was tied to the BO, in some way), there's no reason to think this information, at the time was (and, given that his surname is still Haneda, maybe still is) dangerous, and that no one should be told about it.

Spoiler:
According to jimmy_kudo in the Cbox, the manager said that Shuukichi was in Middle School at the time in the Japanese raw and that he wondered why the translator left that out in the translation; about 10 years ago can also be more than ten years, depending on the memory of the manager ... or Gosho forgot how old Shuukichi is supposed to be
Image
Image
k11chi
User avatar
Posts: 1450

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby k11chi » January 12th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Serinox wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Spoiler:
The translation says the manager and Shukichi played ten years before current events, when Shukichi was eighteen. Shukichi, at this point, likely already graduated from high school, and, thus, could've already had his surname changed.

Image

If the death of his father was part of the reason for the surname change (and it likely was tied to the BO, in some way), there's no reason to think this information, at the time was (and, given that his surname is still Haneda, maybe still is) dangerous, and that no one should be told about it.

Spoiler:
According to jimmy_kudo in the Cbox, the manager said that Shuukichi was in Middle School at the time in the Japanese raw and that he wondered why the translator left that out in the translation; about 10 years ago can also be more than ten years, depending on the memory of the manager ... or Gosho forgot how old Shuukichi is supposed to be
Image

Spoiler:
He looks nothing like a middle schooler there? I'm not sure if that's a middle schooler, must be some kind of typo. The smart ones are adults or not farm from it in DC, not kids. I guess there can be that one exception hmm...
Image
Serinox
User avatar
Posts: 536

Contact:

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby Serinox » January 12th, 2016, 2:58 pm

k11chi wrote:
Serinox wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Spoiler:
The translation says the manager and Shukichi played ten years before current events, when Shukichi was eighteen. Shukichi, at this point, likely already graduated from high school, and, thus, could've already had his surname changed.

Image

If the death of his father was part of the reason for the surname change (and it likely was tied to the BO, in some way), there's no reason to think this information, at the time was (and, given that his surname is still Haneda, maybe still is) dangerous, and that no one should be told about it.

Spoiler:
According to jimmy_kudo in the Cbox, the manager said that Shuukichi was in Middle School at the time in the Japanese raw and that he wondered why the translator left that out in the translation; about 10 years ago can also be more than ten years, depending on the memory of the manager ... or Gosho forgot how old Shuukichi is supposed to be
Image

Spoiler:
He looks nothing like a middle schooler there? I'm not sure if that's a middle schooler, must be some kind of typo. The smart ones are adults or not farm from it in DC, not kids.

Spoiler:
Middle School age ranges from 12-15, so if he could've been 15 at the time; Shinichi solved his first case on the plane when he was 15.
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » January 12th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
According to jimmy_kudo in the Cbox, the manager said that Shuukichi was in Middle School at the time in the Japanese raw and that he wondered why the translator left that out in the translation; about 10 years ago can also be more than ten years, depending on the memory of the manager ... or Gosho forgot how old Shuukichi is supposed to be
Image
Image


Spoiler:
He's 28, now. High schoolers are usually 14-18 year olds, in the series. Unless the manager is saying "over 10 years ago" (why he isn't saying 15 is beyond me, though), he couldn't have been a middle schooler. Shukichi, especially, would not be in middle school at age 18.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Serinox
User avatar
Posts: 536

Contact:

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby Serinox » January 12th, 2016, 3:02 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
According to jimmy_kudo in the Cbox, the manager said that Shuukichi was in Middle School at the time in the Japanese raw and that he wondered why the translator left that out in the translation; about 10 years ago can also be more than ten years, depending on the memory of the manager ... or Gosho forgot how old Shuukichi is supposed to be
Image
Image


Spoiler:
He's 28, now. High schoolers are usually 14-18 year olds, in the series. Unless the manager is saying "over 10 years ago" (why he isn't saying 15 is beyond me, though), he couldn't have been a middle schooler. Shukichi, especially, would not be in middle school at age 18.

Spoiler:
High schoolers are usually not 14-18, it's 15-18. I know all of that, but the fact remains that the manager apparently says that Shuukichi was in Middle School. The man is old, maybe he can't remember timeframes that well anymore, but I doubt he would get such a detail like what school type Shuukichi was on wrong, especially being such a big fan. Then again, if he is such a big fan, he should know Shuukichi's age and know that 10 years is not enough...
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » January 12th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
The fact remains that the manager apparently says that Shuukichi was in Middle School.


Spoiler:
Then he must mean over ten years (though it wouldn't hurt to have the character for middle school, as well as if the man meant exactly ten years, or more than ten years highlighted, in the picture).


Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
High schoolers are usually not 14-18, it's 15-18.


Spoiler:
Freshman year: 14–15
Sophmore year: 15–16
Junior year: 16–17
Senior year: 17–18

At least, that was my experience.

A 15 year old can't be a middle schooler if they're in high school, so if the manager said middle school, he must mean 14–15 years, then.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Serinox
User avatar
Posts: 536

Contact:

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby Serinox » January 12th, 2016, 3:18 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
The fact remains that the manager apparently says that Shuukichi was in Middle School.


Spoiler:
Then he must mean over ten years (though it wouldn't hurt to have the character for middle school, as well as if the man meant exactly ten years, or more than ten years highlighted, in the picture).

Spoiler:
Just FYI, looked it up and "中学生" means "middle school student"
Image


DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
High schoolers are usually not 14-18, it's 15-18.


Spoiler:
Freshman year: 14–15
Sophmore year: 15–16
Junior year: 16–17
Senior year: 17–18

At least, that was my experience.

A 15 year old can't be a middle schooler if they're in high school, so if the manager said middle school, he must mean 14–15 years, then.

Spoiler:
And in my experience elementary school ranges from 6-10 and high school from 10-18/19, but I have not grown up in Japan; according to Wikipedia, Middle School is 12-15 and High School is 15-18.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Japan#School_grades
k11chi
User avatar
Posts: 1450

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby k11chi » January 12th, 2016, 3:29 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
The fact remains that the manager apparently says that Shuukichi was in Middle School.


Spoiler:
Then he must mean over ten years (though it wouldn't hurt to have the character for middle school, as well as if the man meant exactly ten years, or more than ten years highlighted, in the picture).


Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
High schoolers are usually not 14-18, it's 15-18.


Spoiler:
Freshman year: 14–15
Sophmore year: 15–16
Junior year: 16–17
Senior year: 17–18

At least, that was my experience.

A 15 year old can't be a middle schooler if they're in high school, so if the manager said middle school, he must mean 14–15 years, then.

Spoiler:
That's what I'm getting here also... Is it exactly 10 years or is he making a guess and saying something like a decade ago?
Image
Serinox
User avatar
Posts: 536

Contact:

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby Serinox » January 12th, 2016, 3:32 pm

k11chi wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
The fact remains that the manager apparently says that Shuukichi was in Middle School.


Spoiler:
Then he must mean over ten years (though it wouldn't hurt to have the character for middle school, as well as if the man meant exactly ten years, or more than ten years highlighted, in the picture).


Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
High schoolers are usually not 14-18, it's 15-18.


Spoiler:
Freshman year: 14–15
Sophmore year: 15–16
Junior year: 16–17
Senior year: 17–18

At least, that was my experience.

A 15 year old can't be a middle schooler if they're in high school, so if the manager said middle school, he must mean 14–15 years, then.

Spoiler:
That's what I'm getting here also... Is it exactly 10 years or is he making a guess and saying something like a decade ago?

Spoiler:
According to bash in the Cbox, "10数年前" means "sometime between 10 and 20 years ago", so this whole discussion is simply based on a flawed English translation.
bash7353

部下の手柄は上司のもの
上司の失敗は部下の責任

Posts: 430

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Postby bash7353 » January 12th, 2016, 3:56 pm

There are two Japanese blogs whose authors seem to have figured out the riddle.

Spoiler: Possible solution
It seems that if you fold the piece of paper Genta found in the trash to create an origami crane bird, it'll reveal on the feathers something like 'square root of 5'. Now, there's a Japanese sentence to remember an approximation of that value which goes 富士山麓オウム鳴く (A parrot sings at the foot of Mount Fuji.) which sounds like the combination of numbers 22360679. The approximation for the value is 2.2360679. '22360679' consists of eight digits, so it's exactly as many as we need for the password.

It's noteworthy that Hideyoshi - a historical figure that Shuukichi's name is based on - and a woman called Chacha - which is the nickname the manager has for Yumi in this chapter - named their first child 鶴松 (Tsurumatsu). 鶴 is the kanji for 'crane'. Hideyoshi is also a connected to the mnemonic as he built a castle close to the foot of Mount Fuji.

Full disclosure: I have tried to fold this crane to see in what way the square root is gonna show itself on the feather, or if at all, and I have not been able to reproduce this. I have no idea how this is supposed to work.

I don't if this will turn out to be true, but it's sounds pretty great.
Last edited by bash7353 on January 12th, 2016, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vad ska jag annars vara?" - "Det vet jag inte. Det måste du svara på. Men om du släpper allt du tror att du måste, och frågar dig vad du vill... Vad vill du då?"
描いた夢は叶わないことの方が多い
秀れた人を羨んでは自分が嫌になる
浅い眠りに押し潰されそう夜もある
優しい隣人が陰で牙を向いていたり

惰性で観てたテレビ消すみたいに生きることを時々辞めたくなる

人生は苦痛ですか 成功が全てですか
僕はあなたにあなたに ただ逢いたいだけ
信じたい嘘 効かない薬 帰れないサヨナラ
叫べ叫べ叫べ   逢いたいだけ

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests