Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-947

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
yourereadingthis

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 945-94X

Post by yourereadingthis »

Max1996 wrote:
Kor wrote:
bash already posted a potential solution.
bash7353 wrote:There are two Japanese blogs whose authors seem to have figured out the riddle.
Spoiler: Possible solution
It seems that if you fold the piece of paper Genta found in the trash to create an origami crane bird, it'll reveal on the feathers something like 'square root of 5'. Now, there's a Japanese sentence to remember an approximation of that value which goes 富士山麓オウム鳴く (A parrot sings at the foot of Mount Fuji.) which sounds like the combination of numbers 22360679. The approximation for the value is 2.2360679. '22360679' consists of eight digits, so it's exactly as many as we need for the password.

It's noteworthy that Hideyoshi - a historical figure that Shuukichi's name is based on - and a woman called Chacha - which is the nickname the manager has for Yumi in this chapter - named their first child 鶴松 (Tsurumatsu). 鶴 is the kanji for 'crane'. Hideyoshi is also a connected to the mnemonic as he built a castle close to the foot of Mount Fuji.

Full disclosure: I have tried to fold this crane to see in what way the square root is gonna show itself on the feather, or if at all, and I have not been able to reproduce this. I have no idea how this is supposed to work.

I don't if this will turn out to be true, but it's sounds pretty great.
It also says they were not able to reproduce it. In short, that solution has not been verified yet.
Spoiler: Crane Solution
I tried folding it into a crane and I can confirm that the Japanese authors were right! ;D
Spoiler:
Top of the crane. Looks like it doesn't have any meaningful symbols
http://i.imgur.com/6VffvEk.png

It turns out the message is on the under side of the wings!

Underneath one wing. The square root of 5
http://i.imgur.com/FfuOEBi.png

Underneath the other wing. It looks like a speaker symbol, = symbol and an O or zero
http://i.imgur.com/c3BGFRU.png

EDIT:
Nope, checked the Japanese blog and it's not square root of 5 but O (blank) and O = speaker symbol, which represents sound.
And when you fold it the other way another message appears.
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

It does look like both 5 and 0...
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Spoiler:
Houji Haneda was the name two slots below Shinichi's on the APTX list—he's Shukichi's adopted brother.

http://nozomi.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ymag ... 1149/298n-

Bash7353's translation of the script spoilers:
The case is solved as it was predicted by the Japanese bloggers. They find the marriage licence and go Shuukichi, but it's too late as he's already lost the game. His brother-in-law or step brother (I would say from the Japanese it could mean either) Houji always said one should stick with one's original plan, so Shuukichi calls of the marriage proposal. Yumi is like "But what if you get all seven titles back?!", but will be at least another year.

Haibara tells Conan that on the list of people that APTX4869 was used on it says "Haneda Houji, death" two names below Shinichi's.

Side note: What on earth happened to Haneda Houji, a key person connected to those guys?
Last edited by DCUniverseAficionado on January 23rd, 2016, 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Spoiler:
Houji Haneda was the name two slots below Shinichi's on the APTX list—he's Shukichi's adopted brother.

http://nozomi.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ymag ... 1149/298n-
Wait.............. What...

Is this also that red herring Gosho was talking about?
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

Houji Haneda could be Akai's real name.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Wakarimashita wrote:Houji Haneda could be Akai's real name.
Spoiler:
Then what's he doing on the APTX list?

Case of mistaken identity, here?

So it could be that Haneda was their father's surname...
k11chi wrote:Wait.............. What...

Is this also that red herring Gosho was talking about?
Spoiler:
Must be.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
ara_aa_wa

Post by ara_aa_wa »

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Maybe it is his name.
While the results of APTX is basically unknown to anyone except Haibara initially, the fact that Akai was suspicious of her shrunken self is weird too.
“You seek a false comfort when you demand that I define myself for you with words. Words do not contain or define any person. A heart can, if it is willing.”
Robin Hobb, Golden Fool
DCUniverseAficionado

ara_aa_wa wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Maybe it is his name.
While the results of APTX is basically unknown to anyone except Haibara initially, the fact that Akai was suspicious of her shrunken self is weird too.
Spoiler:
So him just seeing how much Ai resembled Shiho isn't enough for you, as explanation?

And if the BO refers to him as "Akai," it's strange that his real name (if that is the case) would end up on that list.
ara_aa_wa

Post by ara_aa_wa »

ara_aa_wa wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Maybe it is his name.
Spoiler:
So him just seeing how much Ai resembled Shiho isn't enough for you, as explanation?

And if the BO refers to him as "Akai," it's strange that his real name (if that is the case) would end up on that list.
Spoiler:
I don't think so. The idea of a an adult shrunken wouldn't be obvious to those who's not working on the drug. Example: Gin & Vodka.

Even if Akai did see the resemblance, usually the reaction would be: "Her child/relative?"
But since Akai used Shiho's connection (Akemi) to join in the ranks, shouldn't he know Haibara's background already? Unlike Haibara herself, Akai is the spy. So it's odd that he connects the two unless he had an inkling of what the research was all about.
“You seek a false comfort when you demand that I define myself for you with words. Words do not contain or define any person. A heart can, if it is willing.”
Robin Hobb, Golden Fool
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Translation of the text spoilers
Spoiler:
File 947: Favorite motto
Conan realizes that the paper in the garbage bin is a "crane in the rubbish heap" and the word "Root of five" (in Katakana) appears in the folded paper.
By omitting the decimal point, Conan says that "22360679" is the answer but... when he inputs it a second password input screen pops up: Conan deploys the paper so that the parts that had become wings before now get folded into belchings.

In one side now there's "root○" and the other side has "○・゛・" plus a cup picture.
Genta thinks it's "moon wine" and tries to input the number 9 but the root of 9 is the real number 3.
Genta's dad always saying he wants to have a drink so Conan teaches the DBs that it's a form of counting.
The first " characters leads to unit number 3 so the answer's "17320508". (Not sure about the wording: the Japanese wording is a bit confusing too but I guess it has to do with the " character in the paper)

Once he inputs that then Yumi herself, who'd inputted into the PC shows up: something can be seen on her inner pocket: the manager snuck it there with his skills as former pickpocket master: now that they've got the marriage form Yumi is about to call for a taxi but Shuukichi calls: it's already too late.

Since he's been unable to keep the 7 Crowns, Shuukichi pierces his brother-in-law Kouji's favorite motto of "absolute resolution" and gives up on the marriage: Yumi is baffled: she then yells at him to get the 7 Crowns back and not lose them: if he can do that she'll reconsider it.

But it'll take at least 1 years to gather them again and maybe there's a day in which he loses the 6 Crowns, Miwako says: and Yumi tries to switch topics...

Haibara tells Conan that there was a "Haneda Kouji - Dead" 2 rows below Shinichi's name in the APTX victim list...

Side-note: "What happened to Haneda Kouji, an important character linked to the BO!?"
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
DCUniverseAficionado

@Spimer:
Spoiler:
Koji, not Hoji?
Shinichi Edogawa

Post by Shinichi Edogawa »

It's very plausible that it's a red herring because Aoyama already said there was going to be a red herring related to the APTX list from volume 18.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

@DCUniverseAficionado:
Spoiler:
Indeed, 浩司 is read as "Kouji" according to this Japanese Kanji site for Kanji used in people's names:

http://kanji.reader.bz/

It also says it may be spelled as "Hiroshi" as well, though. I'd need to see the RAW to see if the furigana read "Kouji" or "Hiroshi", though. I went with "Kouji" because that's what Google Translate said. I tried searching the name but none specified wheter it was Kouji or Hiroshi. I went with Kouji, because, as I said, it seems to be the usual spelling.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
DCUniverseAficionado

Shinichi Edogawa wrote:It's very plausible that it's a red herring because Aoyama already said there was going to be a red herring related to the APTX list from volume 18.
But what's the red herring? Koji/Hoji Haneda? Or Haneda? Or the APTX list, period?
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Didn't he just say fake instead of a red herring, sounds like a double red herring.