Gosho Quotes on the Boss.

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Xytan Whitcombe

Gosho Quotes on the Boss.

Post by Xytan Whitcombe »

I recall Gosho mentioning that the Bosses name appeared somewhere, and we're all pretty deadset on the Mermaid Case guestbook with the Big Black Seventh Child.

He also stated that if we knew the Bosses name then we would know the name of the organization and such.

So why haven't we made any progress in that regard?
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Re: Gosho Quotes on the Boss.

Post by Spimer »

Because it's so vague that we can't narrow it down. We're not sure if the Mermaid Case guestbook is a clue to the Boss or not either. There are too many secondary character names or background names and insofar none seem to provide any clue.
So the reason why we haven't made any regard is becuase we lack details, we lack indications of how to narrow it down.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Xytan Whitcombe wrote:I recall Gosho mentioning that the Bosses name appeared somewhere, and we're all pretty deadset on the Mermaid Case guestbook with the Big Black Seventh Child.

He also stated that if we knew the Bosses name then we would know the name of the organization and such.

So why haven't we made any progress in that regard?

Big Black Seventh Child?
The name in the book was Ooguro (or Daikoku) Rentarou (大黒 廉太郎)
The Ooguro / Daikoku part means "Big Black", but the Rentarou
part doesn't mean Seventh child. Plus its a name, so its not really
supposed to translate like that anyway.

The "seventh child / seven children / child of seven" thing was the
Boss's email address tone Nanatsu no Ko (七つの子)

The main issue is, that even if we knew the Boss's name and the name of the BO
what would that actually accomplish? The main story isn't going to get around to
that for a looooong time.

The only thing that really stands out is that the name in the book, if its pronounced "Daikoku"
then we might be able to link it back to the "Daikoku Building" where Tequila had previously
met with his contact at Mantendo. However "Daikoku" has not appeared again in the series
so its a bit hard to say that its something important

Other suspects due to various things

Kaneshirou Genichirou (70 year old computer company owner with connection to Night Baron virus)
Edward Crow(e) (Last name, foreigner)
Karasuma Renya (supposedly 99 year old mad man who was searching for his family's treasure, name has Karasu in it)
The list of names in the Escalator Message murder case had a name that had the family name "Kuroiwa" ( http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki ... ssage_Case )
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
ATEM

Post by ATEM »

We are given much more information about Rum and till now no one was able to even narrow it down to a few number suspects :-\ so although of the obvious mystries like subaru bieng akai and sera etc I think gosho didn't mean to keep it that secret but he is very good at keeping what he wants to remain a mystery till the far end like vermouth arc and we won't be given that solid proof about who the boss may be till the far end too in my point of view ??? ???
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

http://www.mediafire.com/view/j05oy7m2e ... s_list.xls

This is a fork of a former German project to list all the hundreds of suspect, victim, culprit, and bystander names that appeared before Gosho's full name interview in the Kir arc. I can't guarantee it is complete (in fact I am sure it missing lots of stuff), but I went through and started listing off disqualifying criteria to start eliminating boss suspects. If you want to take a crack at finishing it or finding the names in the manga that are not on the sheet, please be my guest.
Xytan Whitcombe

Well, everyone translates Muraji to be the rank that was then demoted to be SEVENTH out of eight and inserts seventh into that.

But the way I look at it, we can confirm the first is Big Black... But Muraji and tarou are a little vague. If we look at things in total without any attempt on my part to reconcile certain things.

We have Oouguro Rentarou or Daikoku Rentarou, followed by Big Black Muraji Son.

If we look at the more mythical meanings of things, we find that Muraji is "A title for those descended from gods. Other than the ancestral deities of the royal family." rather than some bureaucratic title in the Feudal Era- When we consider that Daikoku is seen as a God of Wealth, but specifically a God of Farming/Agriculture, we can draw direct parallels between him and Hades in Greek Mythology, who was also originally an agricultural deity, but soon came to be associated with precious gemstones and eventually wealth. We can further go towards Daikokuten which is literally a God of Great Darkness or blackness... Also ironically, the God of Five Cereals. It is reeses, but for breakfast, and silly rabbit, tricks are for kids! The other God called Ebisu, was seen to be the son of Daikoku.

Given the themes of blackness, darkness, and sons. We can draw some parallel strings to Ebisu which deserve to be investigated further. Ebisu was a Fisherman like fat man, similar to Daikoku who was also fat and wore a black hat, Ebisu was also banished to an island. Both of them form dialectical parallels as being seen as the God of Earth an the God of the Ocean.

So if we take some liberties we could poetically translate it to be The Eldest Son of the Great God of Darkness given that Muraji can be a title to those who descend from them and Taro is literally son, even a heroic or a masculine son, being the more romantic meaning than eldest son.

To be thorough, you can prefix Taro 太郎 to be Golden Boy or Peach Boy. Both of which are also mythological figures as we can look at Momotaro and Sakata Gintoki (No, this isn't Gintama.)

Momotaro, or Golden Boy, born from a peach, found in a river like Moses, son of the Gods, traveled to Onigashima, a demon island believed to me Megijima in the Kagawa Prefecture. It translates pretty well into female, and has its own twin island, the male Ogijima. On this island lives seven Ogres or devils, Momotaro comes and defeats them, especially their big bad boss, the chief devil Akandoji, and takes all of the stolen gold and silver and (ironically since they have no claim to it) gives it to his foster-parents. Before he confronts the demon, he also befriends three animals, a dog, a pheasant, and a monkey, by giving them some dumplings.

This story was also further popularized after it was used as propaganda where Momotaro and his three friends attack the island and defeat the Demon King, being paralleled to the attack on Pearl Harbor. There is also some correlation of Momotaro "growing up" to defeat the demon king.

As we go to Kintaro, we find that he is a Warrior Mountain-Spirit who was raised by a lone mother in... you guessed it the mountains after his father committed suicide. His mother is also the demon witch Yama-uba who eats people and has silver hair. He grew up to be extremely powerful with animal friends and his ability later impressed a noble named Yorimitsu, who took him in as his retainer. He also killed the Shuten-Doji, a demon terrorizing Mount Ooe. Yorimitsu served as commander of a regiment of the Imperial Guard, and as a secretary in the Ministry of War in addition to numerous other government positions. This corresponds to Heiji's comments about ranking officials in the Japanese Government being in the guest book. He is also said to be the son of the Thunder God, Raijin.

Jurōjin would actually be a better fit for the "immortality" theory as he is the God of Longevity and is normally accompanied by a deer. But he isn't mentioned anywhere...

If we go back to Rentarou, it comes from Japanese 連 (ren) "join, connect", 太 (ta) "big", and 郎 (rō) "gentleman". Ren can also be taken to be clique, party, or gang. We can take ro to be son, young man, or gentlemen so there is not much flexibility there. Ta, can also be the fat type of big.

Given these themes, I will be re-reading the mermaid case and looking for clues.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Xytan Whitcombe wrote:Well, everyone translates Muraji to be the rank that was then demoted to be SEVENTH out of eight and inserts seventh into that.

But the way I look at it, we can confirm the first is Big Black... But Muraji and tarou are a little vague. If we look at things in total without any attempt on my part to reconcile certain things.

We have Oouguro Rentarou or Daikoku Rentarou, followed by Big Black Muraji Son.
Where in the manga are you pulling the word "Muraji" from ?
The kanji for Muraji when used to mean "seventh of eight for heredity title" is (連)
Which is not found in the name Ooguro/Daikoku Rentarou (大黒 廉太郎)

again, why are you trying to find meaning by translating the name?
"Big Black" is the first of what ?
How are "Muraji" and "Tarou" vague ?
Why are you pulling "Tarou" out of the persons given name without the "Ren" ?
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Xytan Whitcombe

The Kanji I have for the name is: 大黒 連太郎

Which is a little different from: 大黒 廉太郎

If we translate 連 on its own from 太郎 we can get two separate things relating to Muraji and Taro. Rather than Rentarou.

Also the file Chekov links uses my Kanji.
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

When in doubt hit the source:

is not the character. You can see the Image radical clearly. I can't guarantee all the characters are right. A nice german took an up-close picture of his copy of the volume and unwarped the image. The thread that looked at it was here I believe. http://www.japanisch-netzwerk.de/Thread ... Et6d7paacg

As a disclaimer, that excel spreadsheet has not been completely checked for accuracy, so please don't rely on it. It's a work in progress.

By itself 連 is むらじ (muraji) or れん (ren) depending on the intended meaning (a title or a ream of paper). The character 連 does make the Ren sound in certain words, such as Renku (連句 "linked verses). (The same char in Chinese is "Lian")
The name Rentarō can be written as 太郎 or 太郎. The first spelling is used in the guestbook.