Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 936–938

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Kahomi
Favored Ai-chan since 2004.

Favored Rei-kun since 2014.

Favored Shuuichi since some time between those two :))

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 936–93X

Post by Kahomi »

Spoiler:
Even Conan is amazed by Rei's little performance.

And Masumi and Rei do exchange some words, with the kind of expression that make me wanna punch their faces :))

And in this case we'll have the three of them judging each other hard :))
Met DC by chance then about 3 hours later it scared the sh*t out of me in Spring 2001 and I ran for my life.
But boredom made me come to it once again in Winter 2004.

And I fell for it. Ever since then. Though sometimes it still frightens me like the first time :)
AICHAN
Curry time!

Post by AICHAN »

Spoiler:
LOL Conan is blushing when Amuro plays guitar XDXD
Anyway I still wonder what's the pusrpose of Amuro/Sera meeting,if Amuro is an ally...maybe he has met Sera in the past,so what? where we will go with that information.
If I rememer correctly in some interview Gosho said he will reveal first Amuro's real name,and then he would say why Amuro thinks about Ai's mom.I'm still waiting for that
I wish Amuro will get some hints that Conan=Shinichi,or maybe something about Mary,but I'm losing hope
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mangaluva wrote:
"I've built a wall not to keep people out, but to see who loves me enough to climb over it."
[/quote]
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

Spoiler:
After reading the translations for page 8, it seems it might not be Amuro, cause Sera said she can more or less remember the face of her brother's friend, and she would probably be able to tell it's Amuro, but since Amuro knew it was a guy, and is even asking that question, I think it's probably Scotch, but I don't think he was Shuichi's friend so it's probably Shuukichi's friend.
AICHAN
Curry time!

Post by AICHAN »

Uchiha Shadow wrote:
Spoiler:
After reading the translations for page 8, it seems it might not be Amuro, cause Sera said she can more or less remember the face of her brother's friend, and she would probably be able to tell it's Amuro, but since Amuro knew it was a guy, and is even asking that question, I think it's probably Scotch, but I don't think he was Shuichi's friend so it's probably Shuukichi's friend.
Spoiler:
If it's scotch then it could be interesting...at least we would know what kind of person he was,and his relationship with Amuro...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mangaluva wrote:
"I've built a wall not to keep people out, but to see who loves me enough to climb over it."
[/quote]
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
I doubt Amuro is the friend that Sera is talking about...but maybe he knows who the friend is because he was investigating Akai's family. So it could be some anonymous guy.
Spoiler:
Then why even bother bringing this friend up? If it is Rei/Tooru, on the other hand, then we have a link his past and the past of the Akai family.
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Geez,Gosho could have mentionned the Mary thing,instead of starting another mystery like that...
Spoiler:
Isn't this what he's been doing for the past eight years? You could go even further and say the past sixteen or eighteen years.
Kahomi wrote:
Spoiler:
what do you think about how Masumi and Rei met in the past? I think it's not that Detective Nocturne case
Spoiler:
Nope—the case you're referring to (File 800) showed that Rei/Tooru knew Masumi, as it had him think, "Why are you here?", upon him seeing her, but, in the next file, it was revealed that Masumi hadn't gotten a chance to see him.

How Rei/Tooru knows Masumi has been lingering as a question for 135/136 Files (nearly 4 years).
Uchiha Shadow wrote:
Spoiler:
If Amuro is in fact Sera's brother's friend, then I think she only saw him when she was a kid, because it'd be weird if she has seen him not too long ago and doesn't recognize him. I think he's Shuukichi's high school friend.
Spoiler:
If Rei/Tooru is the friend, then I think that's the case.

Every time she talked to him in this file, it was with an inquisitive, probing gaze. She likely doesn't believe him when he says that this was the first time they'd met. This applies whether he's the one who taught her guitar or not.
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Frankly I would rather see Ai being in a case with Amuro, than Amuro being magically a friend of Sera's brother, or something like that.
Spoiler:
We still haven't established whether she knows that he's PSB/PSIA. She's not going to even think of interacting with him until she knows that—she may still think if he sees her, he'll tell the BO.

This scenario is no more "magical" than a lot of other scenarios we've seen in DC for the past eight years. Again, it's just that Gosho's dragging all these questions along, still leaving us with no answers.
MrDetective wrote:
Spoiler:
"Sera knows to play guitar a little bit, says it's her brother's friend teaches her but she forgot who is it."
uh-uh, riiiiiiight

how convenient for these super-intelligent characters to have memory blackouts concerning important information
Spoiler:
Well, it's been established that Shinichi/Conan and Ran can—Masumi's kind of a cross between them, so why not?
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
I wish Amuro will get some hints that Conan=Shinichi,or maybe something about Mary, but I'm losing hope
Spoiler:
:-\

You do realize that you're essentially losing hope because something mentioned literally two cases ago—five files ago—hasn't been immediately brought up the next time the character relevant to that something appears, right? We have two more files to see if Gosho will address it. Even if he doesn't, it's yet another mystery that'll likely be resolved upon the flashback to when Shinichi and Ran met Masumi.

We still don't know Rei's/Tooru's current thoughts about Subaru Okiya and what he'll do, in relation to Shuichi. If he's still on the case, then he'll certainly try to ascertain the situation of Shinichi. Again, two more files to show that.

This is a nearly twenty-two-year-old manga—the pace of which has been slow as all heck for the past eight years. Surely this isn't a surprise.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
I wish Amuro will get some hints that Conan=Shinichi
Spoiler:
Why? What would that accomplish? It'll do the same as Shuichi and Sera knowing: nothing.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Serinox wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Why? What would that accomplish? It'll do the same as Shuichi and Sera knowing: nothing.
Spoiler:
I'm not so sure. He may use it to try to get at Shuichi/Subaru.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
wrd

Post by wrd »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Serinox wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I'm not so sure. He may use it to try to get at Shuichi/Subaru.
Spoiler:
Plus if he didn't know about the side effect of the APTX he'll end up knowing.
AICHAN
Curry time!

Post by AICHAN »

Serinox wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I was thinking that would lead him to APTX then he would make the link with Sherry(which would result in the long term in a meeting between them so we could finally know what is the relationship with her mother..I mean Amuro probably knows more things about Elena than Ai,all we need is a real talk between these two people)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mangaluva wrote:
[/quote]
DCUniverseAficionado

AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
I was thinking that would lead him to APTX then he would make the link with Sherry(which would result in the long term in a meeting between them so we could finally know what is the relationship with her mother..I mean Amuro probably knows more things about Elena than Ai,all we need is a real talk between these two people)
Spoiler:
And that's saying nothing of the long overdue Shuichi/Subaru and Shiho/Ai talk, after his identity is revealed to her. Same goes for Masumi.
AICHAN
Curry time!

Post by AICHAN »

AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And that's saying nothing of the long overdue Shuichi/Subaru and Shiho/Ai talk, after his identity is revealed to her. Same goes for Masumi.
Spoiler:
Oh yeah that's right,so many things should be revealed,but we are stuck with endless mysteries...I don't know what to think about the current cases...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mangaluva wrote:
[/quote]
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

AICHAN wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Oh yeah that's right,so many things should be revealed,but we are stuck with endless mysteries...I don't know what to think about the current cases...
Spoiler:
The cases itself are currently ranging from fine to entertaining for me, I just wish the overall plots wouldn't drag quite as much. I don't need a solution in this case or the next, but I'd like to see some sort of movement in any of the subplots. We got that with the whole Mary stuff, maybe we can finally move towards the Shinichi-Ran-Sera flashback?
AICHAN
Curry time!

Post by AICHAN »

Serinox wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The cases itself are currently ranging from fine to entertaining for me, I just wish the overall plots wouldn't drag quite as much. I don't need a solution in this case or the next, but I'd like to see some sort of movement in any of the subplots. We got that with the whole Mary stuff, maybe we can finally move towards the Shinichi-Ran-Sera flashback?
Spoiler:
Yeah I want that too...I wanted Gosho to continue the Mary thing but he jumped to another subplot,this is why I'm irritated,everytime we get an answer,Gosho adds another question...
Anyway I really hope the flashback case will worth the waiting...
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
mangaluva wrote:
[/quote]
DCUniverseAficionado

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
AICHAN wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah I want that too...I wanted Gosho to continue the Mary thing but he jumped to another subplot,this is why I'm irritated, everytime we get an answer, Gosho adds another question...
Anyway I really hope the flashback case will worth the waiting...
Spoiler:
If the overall plot/subplots didn't drag as much, most readers' responses would be much less negative, that's for sure—one can argue Gosho's just rehashing stuff, but there's just rehashing stuff, and then there's rehashing stuff and continually doing so without resolution.

From File 768 (her intro) she seemed to know Ran, and Conan, suspecting he was the shrunken Shinichi. It especially began to demand an answer after Mystery Train. The Shinichi/Ran/Masumi flashback is the key to pretty much all the questions about Masumi. Will it live up to the hype? It's really tough to do so—look at Following Holmes/Holmes' Revelation (File 743–File 752/Episode 616–Episode 621). Even in DC, as long as it is, nearly five years of waiting (you can say nearly three, as well) can lead to disappointment. The question of the Bourbon arc that took its entirety to answer was the "Who is Subaru Okiya?" question. We had to wait from September 10th, 2007 (Release of File 622) until June 2nd, 2014 (Release of File 898) for the answer. Some probably figured it out upon his introduction and never wavered from that position. When we got Scarlet Showdown... well... yeah (I personally liked it, for what it is, but, man, do I get why a lot of people don't). Is it assured of disappointment? No. However, it is probable. Still, when it happens, the plot can get going—there are important questions about Masumi that have remained unanswered since March 7th, 2011 (Release of File 768), and they've held the plot up, especially after Mystery Train.
Kahomi
Favored Ai-chan since 2004.

Favored Rei-kun since 2014.

Favored Shuuichi since some time between those two :))

Post by Kahomi »

Spoiler:
that Dandy Lion by Okino Yoko is used quite many times in the manga :)) Sonoko's band is going to rehearse that song too :)) wonder how it sounds like :))
Met DC by chance then about 3 hours later it scared the sh*t out of me in Spring 2001 and I ran for my life.
But boredom made me come to it once again in Winter 2004.

And I fell for it. Ever since then. Though sometimes it still frightens me like the first time :)