Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 936–938

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Serinox

Re: Discussion Thread: Detective Conan 936–93X

Post by Serinox »

Kahomi wrote:
Spoiler:
so is Scotch's agency the same as Rei's?
Spoiler:
Yes, but we knew that already. He was introduced as an agent from the same agency by Vermouth.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

Spoiler:
What we now know is that the "secret police" (koankeisatsu—probably butchering the spelling, there) is the Public Security Bureau of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. Before this, it could also have been the Public Security Intelligence Agency (PSIA).

The fact that Shuichi killed Scotch has been confirmed, but the questions of where, when, how and why still remain a mystery.

Since we've now gotten Rei/Tooru, we're due either Shuichi/Subaru or Kaitou Kid. It's been nearly two-and-a-half-years since the last Kid case, so we're more likely to get a Kid case.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

Spoiler:
At this points we only really know that Bourbon thinks that Akai killed Scotch...Gosho could still spin that :P
(I hope he doesn't and I don't think he will, but it's not impossible is what I'm saying)
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Spoiler:
The death is most likely something they planned for or something that was unavoidable and Amuro is just butthurt about it since he didn't agree with it or doesn't know about the whole truth (although the way Akai talked with him makes it seem like it's no mystery).
Must be because the BO found out about Scotch being a spy. The way Akai talked about Scotch's fate didn't make it seem like it was something he did in order to get closer to the boss.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Stuff from Presumenothing and Fujiwara
Spoiler:
Fujiwara: File 938 title: The crime in the blind spot

#938 case solution: victim was strangled with a thread that was knitted into her hat (under the pom-pom) with the drumsticks – criminal is the keyboardist, who knitted while pretending to edit the scores, controlled the placement of the handphone by moving the keyboard away from the drums, drugged the victim's drink with sleeping pills, and cut off the pom-pom with the nail clipper (instead of trimming her nails, showing that she wasn't at all concerned about the performance)

(motive: it was all a great big misunderstanding, she thought the vocalist committed suicide because of stuff the drummer said, etc etc, yup)

#938 p15: Sera "Actually I became a detective... because of my brother's influence!" Ran "So it's the smart brother you mentioned during the Red Woman case?" Sera "No, that's my middle brother!" "The one who influenced me is my eldest brother!" Ran "I remember that your eldest brother passed away already..." Sonoko "Could it be he was a police officer who died in the line of duty?"

#938 p15-6: Sera "Yeah... though he wasn't a member of the Japan police, but the Federal Bureau of Investigation... an FBI special agent!" "Apparently it really wasn't easy to get a green card..." Ran "So your brother went to America..." Conan "Say... Is that person's name..." Sera "His name was Akai Shuuichi!" "Sounds cool, doesn't it–?" Conan (thinking) "As expected..." Ran "But you saw that brother at a train station in Japan, right?" Sera "Yeah... that's why I was surprised!"

#938 p16: Sonoko "Then that man who taught you bass was from the FBI too..." Sera "No way... he was probably a friend my brother was meeting with when he came back to Japan on vacation, right?" (...cue Amuro's thoughts that Fuji translated earlier)

Fujiwara: Masumi became a detective due to her brother’s influence. However, not the brother from the Red Woman case, but the even older brother, Akai Shuuichi. She thinks that the guy who caught her bass was one of her bro’s friends whom he happened to meet while coming back home for a break. Amuro (thinking): No, he’s … an undercover agent … from the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Public Security Bureau … who was killed by your brother.

#938 last page side note: The antagonism between Amuro and Akai... what exactly happened between them in the past...? (note: the original text used "確執", which seems to translate to feud/antagonism/discord depending on what you check)
And immediately after I started to type this, Presumenothing posted a neater version of the translations
http://presumenothing.tumblr.com/post/1 ... n-file-938
Spoiler:
Sera “Actually I became a detective… because of my brother’s influence!"
Ran "So it’s the smart brother you mentioned during the Red Woman case?"
Sera "No, that’s my middle brother!” “The one who influenced me is my eldest brother!”
Ran “I remember that your eldest brother passed away already…”
Sonoko “Could it be he was a police officer who died in the line of duty?"
Sera "Yeah… though he wasn’t a member of the Japan police, but the Federal Bureau of Investigation… an FBI special agent!” “Apparently it really wasn’t easy to get a green card…"
Ran "So your brother went to America…"
Conan "Say… Is that person’s name…"
Sera "His name was Akai Shuuichi!” “Sounds cool, doesn’t it–?"
Conan (thinking) "As expected…"
Ran "But you saw that brother at a train station in Japan, right?"
Sera "Yeah… that’s why I was surprised!"
Sonoko "Then that man who taught you bass was from the FBI too…"
Sera "No way… he was probably a friend my brother was meeting with when he came back to Japan on vacation, right?”
(following translation from Fujiwara at DCTP!)
Amuro (thinking) “No, he’s… an undercover agent… from the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Public Security Bureau… who was killed by your brother…”
last page side note: The antagonism between Amuro and Akai… what exactly happened between them in the past…?
+ case solution, if anyone’s actually been following it:
victim was strangled with a thread that was knitted into her hat (under the pom-pom) with the drumsticks – criminal is the keyboardist, who knitted while pretending to edit the scores, controlled the placement of the handphone by moving the keyboard away from the drums, drugged the victim’s drink with sleeping pills, and cut off the pom-pom with the nail clipper (instead of trimming her nails, showing that she wasn’t at all concerned about the performance).
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:.
Spoiler:
Ran "So your brother went to America…" .
Spoiler:
So Ran is starting to connect the dots together.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Uchiha Shadow wrote:
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:.
Spoiler:
Ran "So your brother went to America…" .
Spoiler:
So Ran is starting to connect the dots together.
Spoiler:
She's likely connected Masumi's appearance to Shuichi's, as well as Shuichi looking Japanese and speaking Japanese.

Next step is her telling Masumi about meeting him in New York and in Japan, a year later (File 379–File 380/Episode 308–Episode 309).
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
CoolKid94
The Sera Admirer

Post by CoolKid94 »

Spoiler:
Maybe Ran will actually be used for something more in the future. We can be hopeful, right?
Knowing the truth and knowing what to do with the truth are two completely separate ideas. Learn to distinguish them. OR ELSE.
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Spoiler:
Hopefully she remembers Shuichi's eyes.
DCUniverseAficionado

CoolKid94 wrote:
Spoiler:
Maybe Ran will actually be used for something more in the future. We can be hopeful, right?
Spoiler:
In terms of main plot involvement, she hasn't been involved since the end of the Vermouth arc (434/345), so yes, we're due.

Of course we can be hopeful. ;D
k11chi wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
They're some of the most unique eyes in DC—she has higher odds of remembering those eyes than any other set of eyes.

Neither Shinichi/Conan nor Ran have really thought about Masumi's similarity in appearance to Shuichi—its taken Shinichi/Conan until now to finally confirm to himself that Masumi and Shuichi are brother and sister. Bourbon arc pacing or not, that's a long time for him. Until Ran recalls her two meetings with Shuichi in a subsequent case with Masumi and mentions them, though, we won't know what her thoughts on the matter are—we won't know if she now thinks that Shuichi Akai, Masumi's sister, is the man she met in New York and bumped into, a year later, in Japan (379–380/308–309).
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
k11chi wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
They're some of the most unique eyes in DC—she has higher odds of remembering those eyes than any other set of eyes.

Neither Shinichi/Conan nor Ran have really thought about Masumi's similarity in appearance to Shuichi—its taken Shinichi/Conan until now to finally confirm to himself that Masumi and Shuichi are brother and sister. Bourbon arc pacing or not, that's a long time for him. Until Ran recalls her two meetings with Shuichi in a subsequent case with Masumi and mentions them, though, we won't know what her thoughts on the matter are—we won't know if she now thinks that Shuichi Akai, Masumi's sister, is the man she met in New York and bumped into, a year later, in Japan (379–380/308–309).
Spoiler:
I don't think Ran ever learned Akai's name
but if she ever sees Jodie-sensei again, she will probably ask :V

Can we even be sure that Conan and Ran can actually distinguish those lines under Akai's and Masumi's eyes as a family trait? If I remember correctly Conan, in the past, has thought those were simply bags under Akai's eyes indicating lack of sleep.

I still don't understand that if Masumi knew Akai was FBI, why she thought he was simply back in Japan "on vacation"
I mean yeah, she may have thought that as a kid, but now she is older and should know better about things like that.....
or why she didn't ask Camel some questions waaay back in that case in the Not-Denny's Family restaurant, "Danny's" (or was it "Donny's")
Each step of the way Masumi keeps revealing that she knows more and more that she has not said, basically lies of omission at this point.
I'm starting to wonder if MG is actually telling her things to convince her to advance MG's long term goals.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
k11chi wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Can we even be sure that Conan and Ran can actually distinguish those lines under Akai's and Masumi's eyes as a family trait? If I remember correctly Conan, in the past, has thought those were simply bags under Akai's eyes indicating lack of sleep.

I still don't understand that if Masumi knew Akai was FBI, why she thought he was simply back in Japan "on vacation"
I mean yeah, she may have thought that as a kid, but now she is older and should know better about things like that.....
or why she didn't ask Camel some questions waaay back in that case in the Not-Denny's Family restaurant, "Danny's" (or was it "Donny's")
Each step of the way Masumi keeps revealing that she knows more and more that she has not said, basically lies of omission at this point.
I'm starting to wonder if MG is actually telling her things to convince her to advance MG's long term goals.
Spoiler:
What kind of thing should she have asked Camel?
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Information about the FBI and her brother's role in it.
I know that generally FBI agents would not be able to say anything
but she just never at all seemed to be concerned that her brother died.
and after meeting the people whom may have known what really happened and she did nothing....
and continues to do nothing now that MG is around and controlling her actions to some extent....
ImageImage
Serinox

Post by Serinox »

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Serinox wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Information about the FBI and her brother's role in it.
I know that generally FBI agents would not be able to say anything
but she just never at all seemed to be concerned that her brother died.
and after meeting the people whom may have known what really happened and she did nothing....
and continues to do nothing now that MG is around and controlling her actions to some extent....
Spoiler:
The thing is, we don't know what she knows about the death of her brother. Does she know he died on duty? Does she know that he died in Japan? Maybe she was told he died in an accident on vacation. Just asking a random FBI agent who just happens to be in Japan right now, doesn't seem like a way to get answers. Or maybe the MG told her not to speak to anyone from the FBI, to avoid drawing their suspicion and observations, who knows...
DCUniverseAficionado

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Indeed, she didn't.

Depends if she and Ran are going to get a chance to interact when Jodie makes her next appearance. It's not just his appearance that Ran can tie to what Masumi said. She met a man who looked Japanese and spoke Japanese, and now she's heard about a man who had to get a green card so he could join the FBI. It wouldn't be a stretch to guess that, at the very least, the possibility of Masumi's brother, Shuichi Akai, being the man she met in New York has crossed her mind.
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
That was Jodie.

Why not? No other character they've met other than Shuichi, Masumi and MG has those lines under their eyes.
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Just because she didn't speculate out loud to Ran, Sonoko and Shinichi/Conan doesn't mean she thinks that he was just on vacation.
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
She's being doing that from day one (File 768/Episode 646). It's why she's driving so many fans crazy—the questions surrounding her past and her family are tying up the plot.
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
You mean she's lying to her? Given that Gosho said that Masumi doesn't know about the BO, and the likelihood of MG being her shrunken mother, it could very well be that the BO was responsible for MG shrinking, but she hasn't told Masumi why.
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Spoiler:
she just never at all seemed to be concerned that her brother died.
Spoiler:
Especially after Mystery Train... hmm...

This was the problem of making her a Bourbon suspect, and having her first appear nearly 160 Files after her brother's "death."

This is why we didn't see her break down when she was alone, and thinking about the brother she'd lost—she definitely should have, given how much she blushes at the mere mention of him and how much she admires/is inspired by him.
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Spoiler:
after meeting the people whom may have known what really happened and she did nothing....
Spoiler:
That was Bourbon arc pacing. Plus, as you pointed out, she doesn't know anything—plus, who's to say she'd be told anything. Her mother and brother haven't, and it seems the one financing her (likely James) hasn't told her anything, either.

Of course MG has at least some control over her actions—she's her mother.