Conan's Pacing: Are We FINALLY at the Beginning of the End of Conan?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
champagne

Re: Conan's Pacing: Are We FINALLY at the Beginning of the End of Conan?

Postby champagne » August 2nd, 2018, 1:54 pm

thriceplus wrote:
I wonder Gosho originally intended for Gin/Sherry but changed his mind after the series got more light-hearted.

That crossed my mind as well if Gosho possibly scrapped Gin/Sherry, because he thought that storyline is too shocking. I actually think he shouldn't shy away from it since the core-readership is probably all grown up anyway. Plus it's probably Haibara's dark side and her BO past that has captivated many people in the first place, so it will be much appreciated if he delves deeper into that.
If he's still planning to go ahead with it, the day he drops the Gin/Sherry-bombshell will mark another indicator that he's heading to the end since this is probably something he would keep for the final stages of the story.
thriceplus

Postby thriceplus » August 3rd, 2018, 10:33 am

champagne wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
I wonder Gosho originally intended for Gin/Sherry but changed his mind after the series got more light-hearted.

That crossed my mind as well if Gosho possibly scrapped Gin/Sherry, because he thought that storyline is too shocking. I actually think he shouldn't shy away from it since the core-readership is probably all grown up anyway. Plus it's probably Haibara's dark side and her BO past that has captivated many people in the first place, so it will be much appreciated if he delves deeper into that.
If he's still planning to go ahead with it, the day he drops the Gin/Sherry-bombshell will mark another indicator that he's heading to the end since this is probably something he would keep for the final stages of the story.

Well I certainly dont think Gosho should go dark and edgy for the sake of being dark and edgy. When I said I thought Gosho originally planned Gin/Sherry backstory, I was expecting the same standard childhood romance:

Gin and Haibs met in America when they were both young (they were both born into BO families perhaps) and Gin was still an idealist who doesnt believe in violence, etc. Then one day Akai Sr or Mary killed Gins dad/mom/best friend/cousin/etc so Gin started hating FBI and the extended Sera family including Haibara and Shuichi and turned quickly became some top tier evil BO exec.

Pretty cheesy but standard Gosho.

Either way, Gosho has revealed nothing about Gin's past, so I'm wondering if he's saving this for some special reason. Like you said, Gosho exploring Gin's past will definitely be a pretty big deal. I'm expecting him to go into it after Rum's arc finishes.
champagne

Postby champagne » August 3rd, 2018, 1:38 pm

thriceplus wrote:
Well I certainly dont think Gosho should go dark and edgy for the sake of being dark and edgy. When I said I thought Gosho originally planned Gin/Sherry backstory, I was expecting the same standard childhood romance:

Gin and Haibs met in America when they were both young (they were both born into BO families perhaps) and Gin was still an idealist who doesnt believe in violence, etc. Then one day Akai Sr or Mary killed Gins dad/mom/best friend/cousin/etc so Gin started hating FBI and the extended Sera family including Haibara and Shuichi and turned quickly became some top tier evil BO exec.

Pretty cheesy but standard Gosho.

I wouldn't call that Gosho's standard romance. Just them being BO and how it eventually turned out (an outcome that allows no happy end) makes it already way different and darker.

Then there's also the striking age difference. The longer any closer history between them dates back, the bolder it gets. (But then again, we don't know Gin’s age. My guess is that he's about 10 years older than Sherry – that would make him about 28 years old now, but maybe he's younger?)

But yeah, I could totally see something along the lines of that they've known each other for a long time and that he used to be different (I mean at some point in his life he must have had some more humanity). Add to that how being born and raised in the BO distorted Sherry's judgment plus maybe some daddy issues given that she's an orphan who never got to know her parents – et voilà, this pairing makes sense.

I don't think he could hate her for any Akai-family-relation, because it seems like Shu and Sherry don't even know themselves that they're related, but I can see that you're just being hypothetical with this.

Long story short, I think Gin/Sherry would still be a bolder move on Gosho's part (considering DC standards and how other love stories/couples are like).

thriceplus wrote:Either way, Gosho has revealed nothing about Gin's past, so I'm wondering if he's saving this for some special reason. Like you said, Gosho exploring Gin's past will definitely be a pretty big deal. I'm expecting him to go into it after Rum's arc finishes.

Now that I think about it, some mysterious history with Sherry is literally the only tidbit that has ever been teased about Gin's past, that very well could speak volumes about the significance of that possible pairing. No matter if their backstories are deeply tied or not, I'm really looking forward to finally learn more about him and it would be great if we really get to that as soon as the Rum arc finishes.
thriceplus

Postby thriceplus » August 15th, 2018, 9:36 pm

thriceplus wrote:Azusa's only recurring non-plot character (plot characters like Haibs could be hard to do) left that I can see Gosho giving a romantic option without reaching into literal D-list characters like Komei or Yamamura.

champagne wrote:I really hope Gosho is wrapping things up, I definitely don't need a minor and irrelevant character like Azusa to hog more screen time with another cheesy childhood romance.

lmaooooooooo! Gosho must have seen this as a challenge since he just went HAM on Bourbon/Azusa in the latest ZTT chapter. Funnily enough, Bourbon's yaoi fangirls went ballistic on twitter raging against this pairing so I wonder Gosho will reconsider his decision.

Who's still even single anymore? We got Yonehara, Wada Hina, Araide or someone outside Tokyo? Araide/Yonehara let's go go go.
Swagnarok

Postby Swagnarok » August 15th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Spoiler:
I hope Gosho's not actually gonna go with AzusaxAmuro. She doesn't even know his real name and identity, much less what he does for a living. If at any point it is deemed no longer helpful to the organization that he should be stationed next to the Sleeping Kogoro they could just yank his chain and make him relocate to another city and cut all ties.
Spoiler:
Cherry Blossoms raining down
Just like snow mingled with blood
The fallout from our terrible choices
From the heavens that have rejected us

My fanfic account:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7291651/Swagnarok
Smitty

Postby Smitty » August 16th, 2018, 11:14 am

I expect Gin's background story to be a series of cases where we see child to adult Gin with the same demeanour as Conan and other characters when cases are solved. Gin does have the "Case Solved" smile in various instances of the series.

Something probably made him a criminal.

Not like his kill count on series is high anyways -- Gin's kills include Shinichi, CIA people during the Hondou death, Akemi Miyano, and probably someone from the Akemi Miyano case that I'm forgetting.
agent.sherry

Postby agent.sherry » August 16th, 2018, 7:47 pm

thriceplus wrote:
thriceplus wrote:Azusa's only recurring non-plot character (plot characters like Haibs could be hard to do) left that I can see Gosho giving a romantic option without reaching into literal D-list characters like Komei or Yamamura.

champagne wrote:I really hope Gosho is wrapping things up, I definitely don't need a minor and irrelevant character like Azusa to hog more screen time with another cheesy childhood romance.

lmaooooooooo! Gosho must have seen this as a challenge since he just went HAM on Bourbon/Azusa in the latest ZTT chapter. Funnily enough, Bourbon's yaoi fangirls went ballistic on twitter raging against this pairing so I wonder Gosho will reconsider his decision.

Spoiler:
If Amuro/Azusa has to be done, I'll be glad if this is mostly demoted to the spin-off. It would annoy me if this silly romance would take up too much precious space in the main story.

Smitty wrote:I expect Gin's background story to be a series of cases where we see child to adult Gin with the same demeanour as Conan and other characters when cases are solved. Gin does have the "Case Solved" smile in various instances of the series.

Something probably made him a criminal.

Not like his kill count on series is high anyways -- Gin's kills include Shinichi, CIA people during the Hondou death, Akemi Miyano, and probably someone from the Akemi Miyano case that I'm forgetting.

The hype will be real when/if we get Gin's backstory. I'm tired of Gosho harping on about the spies, I wish he would proceed with the legit BO members already. I for one will be hooked if he finally spills the beans on Rum, Gin, Sherry etc.
Uchiha Shadow

Postby Uchiha Shadow » August 22nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

Yo, been a really long while since I came here, was too busy with school this past year and also wasn't really in a DC mood. The increase in breaks is making me worry for Gosho's health and wonder if he might be trying to end the series soon....