Conan's Pacing: Are We FINALLY at the Beginning of the End of Conan?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
champagne

Re: Conan's Pacing: Are We FINALLY at the Beginning of the End of Conan?

Post by champagne »

thriceplus wrote:
I wonder Gosho originally intended for Gin/Sherry but changed his mind after the series got more light-hearted.
That crossed my mind as well if Gosho possibly scrapped Gin/Sherry, because he thought that storyline is too shocking. I actually think he shouldn't shy away from it since the core-readership is probably all grown up anyway. Plus it's probably Haibara's dark side and her BO past that has captivated many people in the first place, so it will be much appreciated if he delves deeper into that.
If he's still planning to go ahead with it, the day he drops the Gin/Sherry-bombshell will mark another indicator that he's heading to the end since this is probably something he would keep for the final stages of the story.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

champagne wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
I wonder Gosho originally intended for Gin/Sherry but changed his mind after the series got more light-hearted.
That crossed my mind as well if Gosho possibly scrapped Gin/Sherry, because he thought that storyline is too shocking. I actually think he shouldn't shy away from it since the core-readership is probably all grown up anyway. Plus it's probably Haibara's dark side and her BO past that has captivated many people in the first place, so it will be much appreciated if he delves deeper into that.
If he's still planning to go ahead with it, the day he drops the Gin/Sherry-bombshell will mark another indicator that he's heading to the end since this is probably something he would keep for the final stages of the story.
Well I certainly dont think Gosho should go dark and edgy for the sake of being dark and edgy. When I said I thought Gosho originally planned Gin/Sherry backstory, I was expecting the same standard childhood romance:

Gin and Haibs met in America when they were both young (they were both born into BO families perhaps) and Gin was still an idealist who doesnt believe in violence, etc. Then one day Akai Sr or Mary killed Gins dad/mom/best friend/cousin/etc so Gin started hating FBI and the extended Sera family including Haibara and Shuichi and turned quickly became some top tier evil BO exec.

Pretty cheesy but standard Gosho.

Either way, Gosho has revealed nothing about Gin's past, so I'm wondering if he's saving this for some special reason. Like you said, Gosho exploring Gin's past will definitely be a pretty big deal. I'm expecting him to go into it after Rum's arc finishes.
champagne

Post by champagne »

thriceplus wrote:
Well I certainly dont think Gosho should go dark and edgy for the sake of being dark and edgy. When I said I thought Gosho originally planned Gin/Sherry backstory, I was expecting the same standard childhood romance:

Gin and Haibs met in America when they were both young (they were both born into BO families perhaps) and Gin was still an idealist who doesnt believe in violence, etc. Then one day Akai Sr or Mary killed Gins dad/mom/best friend/cousin/etc so Gin started hating FBI and the extended Sera family including Haibara and Shuichi and turned quickly became some top tier evil BO exec.

Pretty cheesy but standard Gosho.
I wouldn't call that Gosho's standard romance. Just them being BO and how it eventually turned out (an outcome that allows no happy end) makes it already way different and darker.

Then there's also the striking age difference. The longer any closer history between them dates back, the bolder it gets. (But then again, we don't know Gin’s age. My guess is that he's about 10 years older than Sherry – that would make him about 28 years old now, but maybe he's younger?)

But yeah, I could totally see something along the lines of that they've known each other for a long time and that he used to be different (I mean at some point in his life he must have had some more humanity). Add to that how being born and raised in the BO distorted Sherry's judgment plus maybe some daddy issues given that she's an orphan who never got to know her parents – et voilà, this pairing makes sense.

I don't think he could hate her for any Akai-family-relation, because it seems like Shu and Sherry don't even know themselves that they're related, but I can see that you're just being hypothetical with this.

Long story short, I think Gin/Sherry would still be a bolder move on Gosho's part (considering DC standards and how other love stories/couples are like).
thriceplus wrote: Either way, Gosho has revealed nothing about Gin's past, so I'm wondering if he's saving this for some special reason. Like you said, Gosho exploring Gin's past will definitely be a pretty big deal. I'm expecting him to go into it after Rum's arc finishes.
Now that I think about it, some mysterious history with Sherry is literally the only tidbit that has ever been teased about Gin's past, that very well could speak volumes about the significance of that possible pairing. No matter if their backstories are deeply tied or not, I'm really looking forward to finally learn more about him and it would be great if we really get to that as soon as the Rum arc finishes.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

thriceplus wrote:Azusa's only recurring non-plot character (plot characters like Haibs could be hard to do) left that I can see Gosho giving a romantic option without reaching into literal D-list characters like Komei or Yamamura.
champagne wrote: I really hope Gosho is wrapping things up, I definitely don't need a minor and irrelevant character like Azusa to hog more screen time with another cheesy childhood romance.
lmaooooooooo! Gosho must have seen this as a challenge since he just went HAM on Bourbon/Azusa in the latest ZTT chapter. Funnily enough, Bourbon's yaoi fangirls went ballistic on twitter raging against this pairing so I wonder Gosho will reconsider his decision.

Who's still even single anymore? We got Yonehara, Wada Hina, Araide or someone outside Tokyo? Araide/Yonehara let's go go go.
Swagnarok

Post by Swagnarok »

Spoiler:
I hope Gosho's not actually gonna go with AzusaxAmuro. She doesn't even know his real name and identity, much less what he does for a living. If at any point it is deemed no longer helpful to the organization that he should be stationed next to the Sleeping Kogoro they could just yank his chain and make him relocate to another city and cut all ties.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I expect Gin's background story to be a series of cases where we see child to adult Gin with the same demeanour as Conan and other characters when cases are solved. Gin does have the "Case Solved" smile in various instances of the series.

Something probably made him a criminal.

Not like his kill count on series is high anyways -- Gin's kills include Shinichi, CIA people during the Hondou death, Akemi Miyano, and probably someone from the Akemi Miyano case that I'm forgetting.
agent.sherry

Post by agent.sherry »

thriceplus wrote:
thriceplus wrote:Azusa's only recurring non-plot character (plot characters like Haibs could be hard to do) left that I can see Gosho giving a romantic option without reaching into literal D-list characters like Komei or Yamamura.
champagne wrote: I really hope Gosho is wrapping things up, I definitely don't need a minor and irrelevant character like Azusa to hog more screen time with another cheesy childhood romance.
lmaooooooooo! Gosho must have seen this as a challenge since he just went HAM on Bourbon/Azusa in the latest ZTT chapter. Funnily enough, Bourbon's yaoi fangirls went ballistic on twitter raging against this pairing so I wonder Gosho will reconsider his decision.
Spoiler:
If Amuro/Azusa has to be done, I'll be glad if this is mostly demoted to the spin-off. It would annoy me if this silly romance would take up too much precious space in the main story.
Smitty wrote:I expect Gin's background story to be a series of cases where we see child to adult Gin with the same demeanour as Conan and other characters when cases are solved. Gin does have the "Case Solved" smile in various instances of the series.

Something probably made him a criminal.

Not like his kill count on series is high anyways -- Gin's kills include Shinichi, CIA people during the Hondou death, Akemi Miyano, and probably someone from the Akemi Miyano case that I'm forgetting.
The hype will be real when/if we get Gin's backstory. I'm tired of Gosho harping on about the spies, I wish he would proceed with the legit BO members already. I for one will be hooked if he finally spills the beans on Rum, Gin, Sherry etc.
Uchiha Shadow

Post by Uchiha Shadow »

Yo, been a really long while since I came here, was too busy with school this past year and also wasn't really in a DC mood. The increase in breaks is making me worry for Gosho's health and wonder if he might be trying to end the series soon....
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

Apparently Gosho recently did an interview where he revealed that 100 total volumes for Conan is a good number to end on. Anyone else hear anything about this? If true, the series might really be wrapping up in the next 2-3 years.

Source: https://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainmen ... 6000c.html
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Based on spimer's translation he said he'll make MORE than 100 volumes, not that it's ending on it.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

He simply said that 100 volumes would be a neat number to end it but doesn't confirm it will.

And, anyway, he's been saying that it'll be more than 100 volumes for the last 2-3 years.

So no, it's not going to end at volume 100 (too much stuff to which can't be covered in only 4 volumes anyway)
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Antiyonder

Post by Antiyonder »

Not going to resume the back and forth I use to do before.

Just wondering still why the manga can't end. And only the manga. I think some of us even touched on the question before. But the anime itself which when it does it's own exclusive mysteries isn't as depending on the more plot heavy sparsely used characters. Adapted material has been altered or omitted to a point that it's not a one to one adaptation plus more stories.

It's pretty much a splintered continuity and is the more popular format, so let the storyline get a well deserved close while the anime can keep the property running. Someone on GameFAQs even brought up that Doraemon did the same:
I feel conan may run forever in anime form and just adapt the ending in a movie or something for those older fans who want closure while the anime is just endless whodunits of the week similar to how doraemon had a film that acted as its canonical ending but the main show just kept chugging along as normal.
And it's not the first time that Japan has properties with different story continuums. Dragon Ball Super had not only the anime with Akira Toriyama heavily involved with a manga version done by another, as well as differing story details.

Pokémon. Oh boy. Anime and Manga adaptation which differ greatly from each other and the games. Plus various types of manga differing in tone and cast. Or even a secondary manga tie in the games like Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Adventures. Pokémon Horizon Sun and Moon, also some one shots based of the main anime movies.

Anime movies set in a different continuity while the show was set in Alola. Even occasional stuff like Pokémon Origins or the countless web shorts.

Regardless of it being considered, would those preferring episodic mysteries really be bothered with the manga closing the storyline stuff while the anime is still there and just episodic stuff set before the storyline conclusion?

Yeah not going to be repeating my takes again like before, just wanted to get this out for feedback.
The Mystery of Conan Edogawa.

Arguably one of the best attempts at tackling the story of "Ran discovering the secret behind Conan". It's strong point is taking a common plot for Detective Conan fan fics and presenting it in a fresh manner such as:
- Touching on things that aren't dealt with in the show or discussed much.
- While there is some understanding towards Conan's predicament, the fic doesn't ignore the problematic approach he takes towards keeping quiet.

So, do yourself a favor and read this. I only wish I could so something half as decent.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Don't revive topìcs that have been inactive for more than 3 months ("necroposting"), please.

Use an existing, recent topics.

Topic locked.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"