Conan's Pacing: Are We FINALLY at the Beginning of the End of Conan?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
nramius

Re: Conan's Pacing: Are We FINALLY at the Beginning of the End of Conan?

Postby nramius » December 14th, 2017, 12:44 pm

While it's a weak defense in regards to the phone number and my memory's hazy on the details but didn't Conan tell his mom and dad that he was going to solve the case? This was why he didn't want his father talking to Interpol about it. I believe it was the case where his parents pretended to be BO members and set up their son to show him how dangerous it was.

Edit: Forgot to put in my obvious concluding line. If Conan did not want his dad talking to Interpol, then he wouldn't want the FBI/CIA/Insert Gov't agency here to solve it for him. He has to make the deduction.
Last edited by nramius on December 14th, 2017, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kor

Postby Kor » December 14th, 2017, 12:51 pm

nramius wrote:While it's a weak defense in regards to the phone number and my memory's hazy on the details but didn't Conan tell his mom and dad that he was going to solve the case? This was why he didn't want his father talking to Interpol about it. I believe it was the case where his parents pretended to be BO members and set up their son to show him how dangerous it was.

You are correct.
Antiyonder

Postby Antiyonder » December 14th, 2017, 9:40 pm

thriceplus wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
thriceplus wrote:
Spoiler:
Agreed. The other thing is that Gosho has already done boss teasing more than a decade ago, when Conan got the boss's phone number. There was a period in like 2003 when everyone thought that Conan will end imminently because he can just call the boss and finish the story. Well, we all know where that went. So all this recent boss teasing could be another one of those early teases.

Spoiler:
That may actually (finally) come back into play... at least, the odds of it coming back are at their highest, as of right now.

Spoiler:
The in-story explanation for why Conan can't call the boss (Haibara: "It's too dangerous!!!") is still pretty BS. It's pretty obviously a ploy by Gosho to extend the story. Conan could have just given the number to the FBI or something and don't tell that the freaking FBI would be scared of calling the Black Org Boss.

This. It's pretty much what I've been talking about when I said that even if the general audience isn't worn down on the story, that it's still best to end it unless you can think of material needed to improve the story vs stretching it out because it's successful.

Even the more patient readers/viewers are going to have some high expectations as with any other long running series, only to see sudden resolutions and conclusions sped up because too much cheap padding cluttered the story up whereas preparing for an end sooner would mean giving each plot and character the attention and ending they deserve. For example:

Spoiler:
With how tight lipped Haibara has been with giving out information to Conan and how cautious she's been about them pursuing the Organization, one has to wonder what will prompt her to change her stance in the last portion of the story.

Frankly it just feels like when said thing happens it's going to come across less as a natural change/development in the character and more of a meta "she knows that the story is ending and decides to help push it along cause of reasons".
The Mystery of Conan Edogawa.

Arguably one of the best attempts at tackling the story of "Ran discovering the secret behind Conan". It's strong point is taking a common plot for Detective Conan fan fics and presenting it in a fresh manner such as:
- Touching on things that aren't dealt with in the show or discussed much.
- While there is some understanding towards Conan's predicament, the fic doesn't ignore the problematic approach he takes towards keeping quiet.

So, do yourself a favor and read this. I only wish I could so something half as decent.
Tenken

Postby Tenken » December 26th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Antiyonder wrote:
This. It's pretty much what I've been talking about when I said that even if the general audience isn't worn down on the story, that it's still best to end it unless you can think of material needed to improve the story vs stretching it out because it's successful.

Even the more patient readers/viewers are going to have some high expectations as with any other long running series, only to see sudden resolutions and conclusions sped up because too much cheap padding cluttered the story up whereas preparing for an end sooner would mean giving each plot and character the attention and ending they deserve.

Ahhh this is so true. The first ~20 manga volumes were really good, but since then the quality of cases have been declining. I've only been reading cases where Kaito KID or the B.O. appears. I'm hoping to see the finale as soon as Gosho recovers from his illness, rather than wait 5 more years. DC by all means can continue on even AFTER the B.O. is defeated.