Could Akemi Miyano still be alive?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
TanteiSa

Re: Could Akemi Miyano still be alive?

Postby TanteiSa » September 1st, 2015, 5:59 pm

@jimmy yes, that's what Max is talking about.
Max1996

Postby Max1996 » September 3rd, 2015, 11:03 am

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Off Topic
Are you talking about the thing on tumblr that tries to compare Gin and Kuroda's eyes?
because other characters have had that shadow under their eyes.

Who else?
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » September 3rd, 2015, 11:56 am

Max1996 wrote:
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
Off Topic
Are you talking about the thing on tumblr that tries to compare Gin and Kuroda's eyes?
because other characters have had that shadow under their eyes.

Who else?

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by jimmy_kud0_tv2 on November 20th, 2015, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It really saddens me to see people continuing to talk about this series as if its dying or that they are losing interest in it. This has been one of my favorite series' since I first heard of it in 2005 and I have never looked back. I really hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 3rd, 2015, 4:31 pm

You'd think that if Akemi wasn't really dead, Gosho would've at least hinted it, or had her appear as another character, like Shuichi appeared as Subaru, after 21 years. Believe me—I know how long he can take with things, but the reveal of Subaru as Shuichi took 7 years. That's a third of the time that it's been since Akemi died in File 16—that would be one of the longest times he ever took to reveal something like that. And if she came back, what would she do? Other than being a reward for Shuichi and Shiho/Ai, I can't think of anything... plus, it would show even more that Gosho just can't kill off characters. Next thing you know, we'll find out that Scotch and Ethan Hondo are alive... I don't take issue with the fake deaths as much as other people do, but those other people are in the majority. You want to piss them off by revealing a character that died 914 files ago is alive? Okay, then... and what's she been doing all this time?
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Nemomon

This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Postby Nemomon » September 3rd, 2015, 8:07 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:revealing a character that died 914 files ago is alive? Okay, then... and what's she been doing all this time?

Each day a tea for Anokata ;). Or it could be that she's Anokata herself ;).

Joking aside, there's no reason for her to be alive. She's day and should stay dead. Plus, she died on Conan's arm. She was talking to him before dying, and then the police and Kogorou came right after she died. There's no way she could fake this. Too many witnesses.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Wakarimashita

Postby Wakarimashita » September 3rd, 2015, 8:31 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:You'd think that if Akemi wasn't really dead, Gosho would've at least hinted it, or had her appear as another character, like Shuichi appeared as Subaru, after 21 years. Believe me—I know how long he can take with things, but the reveal of Subaru as Shuichi took 7 years. That's a third of the time that it's been since Akemi died in File 16—that would be one of the longest times he ever took to reveal something like that. And if she came back, what would she do? Other than being a reward for Shuichi and Shiho/Ai, I can't think of anything... plus, it would show even more that Gosho just can't kill off characters. Next thing you know, we'll find out that Scotch and Ethan Hondo are alive... I don't take issue with the fake deaths as much as other people do, but those other people are in the majority. You want to piss them off by revealing a character that died 914 files ago is alive? Okay, then... and what's she been doing all this time?

This.

Akemi's death and the way it affected Haibara is one of the most well written elements in Conan. Having her come back after so long would be terrible writing and would make the Bourbon story look like best thing ever.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 3rd, 2015, 11:08 pm

Wakarimashita wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:You'd think that if Akemi wasn't really dead, Gosho would've at least hinted it, or had her appear as another character, like Shuichi appeared as Subaru, after 21 years. Believe me—I know how long he can take with things, but the reveal of Subaru as Shuichi took 7 years. That's a third of the time that it's been since Akemi died in File 16—that would be one of the longest times he ever took to reveal something like that. And if she came back, what would she do? Other than being a reward for Shuichi and Shiho/Ai, I can't think of anything... plus, it would show even more that Gosho just can't kill off characters. Next thing you know, we'll find out that Scotch and Ethan Hondo are alive... I don't take issue with the fake deaths as much as other people do, but those other people are in the majority. You want to piss them off by revealing a character that died 914 files ago is alive? Okay, then... and what's she been doing all this time?

This.

Aw, shucks, you've got to be the first person to put, "This.", under a post of mine... thanks! :)

I will admit that it's odd that Gin didn't just shoot her in the head, but that could've been the case so Shinichi/Conan could talk to her, and die right before his eyes. Neither of those things could've happened if she was already dead. Plus, the plan would've failed had Gin shot her in the head—you can fake your death with a shot to the chest and to the head... if your head is covered... and if the person shooting you is in on the plan. How the heck would they have planned for that and done so in a way to fool Gin?

Her death catalyzed so much of the series—also, if her death had been faked, then her sister almost killed herself over that. That goes beyond Ran and Jodie getting depressed because Shinichi/Conan and Shuichi/Subaru don't trust them to keep their secrets.

Akemi would've never accepted such a plan if it meant that her sister's life was in the hands of chance—the only reason Shiho survived the APTX is the same reason Shinichi did... chance. And if the FBI had somehow rescued her, Ai Haibara would never have existed, and she and Shinichi/Conan would've never met, in all likelihood. Essentially, Shiho's/Ai's involvement in Detective Conan would have to be cut back so much for Akemi to survive via fake death plan... and I can't think of any reason why anyone would want Shiho/Ai pretty much removed from the series.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
harmionekwon

Hello! :D I'm an avid DC fan. Manga, Anime, Live-Action, or in a Game. Feel free to approach/message me! :D 100% Friendly :)

Postby harmionekwon » November 9th, 2015, 3:13 pm

It would be impossible for her to be still alive right? I mean in ep 128. It's clearly shown. BUT. We don't know what might happen after. /will it be going like akai's?/ ugh~
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » November 9th, 2015, 6:26 pm

harmionekwon wrote:It would be impossible for her to be still alive right? I mean in ep 128. It's clearly shown. BUT. We don't know what might happen after. /will it be going like akai's?/ ugh~

Akemi was shot by Gin in chapter 012 of the manga. It was supposed to happen in episode 013, but the anime staff messed
with the timeline a bit. Episode 128 is a tv-original that they made to fix the anime timeline mistake before Haibara's introduction.
It really saddens me to see people continuing to talk about this series as if its dying or that they are losing interest in it. This has been one of my favorite series' since I first heard of it in 2005 and I have never looked back. I really hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
DCUniverseAficionado

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » November 9th, 2015, 9:43 pm

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:Akemi was shot by Gin in chapter 012 of the manga. It was supposed to happen in episode 013, but the anime staff messed
with the timeline a bit. Episode 128 is a tv-original that they made to fix the anime timeline mistake before Haibara's introduction.

Actually, didn't the anime fix the plot hole the manga made about Akemi telling Shiho about Shinichi/Conan and knowing he was "mature" by having her live through Episode 13 (or at least, make it less of a plot hole)? In the period between Episode 13 and Episode 128, Akemi could've met Shiho and told her about Shinichi/Conan—that's a much greater range, and she definitely would have seen how different Shinichi/Conan was from the average child.

This thought came to me after reading your DC plot holes page on the DCW wiki.
AzureHaseo

Postby AzureHaseo » November 9th, 2015, 11:03 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:Akemi was shot by Gin in chapter 012 of the manga. It was supposed to happen in episode 013, but the anime staff messed

Actually, didn't the anime fix the plot hole the manga made about Akemi telling Shiho about Shinichi/Conan and knowing he was "mature" by having her live through Episode 13 (or at least, make it less of a plot hole)? In the period between Episode 13 and Episode 128, Akemi could've met Shiho and told her about Shinichi/Conan—that's a much greater range, and she definitely would have seen how different Shinichi/Conan was from the average child.

So you mean to say an anime episode became canon? Even if that was the case, it's still weird. When they were talking, Akemi wasn't worried at all, i mean, she stole a bank and didn't even had the money in her hands yet (assuming it was before she got shot and thus before she got the money back at the hotel)

So i think the meeting was after her "death", here is further speculation:
Shiho says "i heard you did something dangerous" after they talk about Conan. When Akemi met Conan it was after the bank robbery, so what Shiho says could be something different than that. If she found out after the first meeting (that would mean at least a few days, which is what Conan took to found the taxi driver) it would further help the theory that she saw the newspaper regarding Akemi's death after that last meeting.
Akemi also says "stop making that drug! just go out and find a boyfriend!" This could imply she has a "real" boyfriend and wants her sister to find one too. That together with her text message "if i manage to leave the organization after this, will you go out with me as a real boyfriend?" could mean she did fake her death and is waiting for Akai somewhere.
harmionekwon

Hello! :D I'm an avid DC fan. Manga, Anime, Live-Action, or in a Game. Feel free to approach/message me! :D 100% Friendly :)

Postby harmionekwon » November 9th, 2015, 11:38 pm

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
harmionekwon wrote:It would be impossible for her to be still alive right? I mean in ep 128. It's clearly shown. BUT. We don't know what might happen after. /will it be going like akai's?/ ugh~

Akemi was shot by Gin in chapter 012 of the manga. It was supposed to happen in episode 013, but the anime staff messed

Oh. So that's why.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » November 10th, 2015, 12:47 am

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:

Arguably it does fix the plot hole,
but at the same time, they wouldn't have known about that plot hole when writing and animating episode 13 to keep her alive
When Gosho wrote the plot hole, its possible he just forgot the specific events that he wrote, or wished to add a scene showing them talking
There is more than a year between each release, so its most likely not done on purpose. The anime messed with a lot of stuff, so its likely
that this is just a coincidence.

EDIT : actually it might not fix it, Ch 180 still has the newspaper with Akemi's death after the conversation
The problem is Akemi knowing about Conan before going to the pier to be killed
The anime changed it to have her live longer, but the conversation would have still had to happen
before going to the pier, but she still wouldn't have known that much about Conan at that point.

Akemi manga (Akemi dies) - Mar 30, 1994 - Apr 20, 1994

Episode 13 (Akemi doesn't die) - Apr 16, 1996

Haibara intro manga start - Sept 13, 1997
(specific plot hole chapter Sept 30, 1997)

Episode 128 (Akemi dies) - Dec 13, 1998
Sachi

Postby Sachi » November 10th, 2015, 3:23 pm

I have only one thing to say to you: you people are all heartless. If plot is more important than life of someone who is close to someone else, then you're monsters.
DCUniverseAficionado

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » November 10th, 2015, 7:46 pm

Sachi wrote:I have only one thing to say to you: you people are all heartless. If plot is more important than life of someone who is close to someone else, then you're monsters.

???

Really? You're calling people you've never actually met monsters because they're talking about plot? Are you equating the lives of fictional characters with real people? It certainly sounds like you are. Call a real world mass murderer/serial killer a monster? Sure. Calling fellow members of a forum for a manga a monster because they're saying why a certain character couldn't come back monsters? How can you even throw such a demeaning word out there?

Of course it'd be better for Shiho/Ai and Shuichi if Akemi was alive. There's no doubt of that. However, this is a manga—a piece of fiction. People are here for interesting/likable/developed characters, or an interesting/engaging plot, or new/unique ideas or ideas/genres/concepts they like, or all of the above (I'm probably missing a bunch).

Gosho having character who's been dead for twenty plus years suddenly be alive—a character whose death led to a radical change in the direction of the series and the introduction and development of one of the most (if not the most) popular characters in the series, and after so long without so much as a hint of her really being alive—would be mind-boggling. Akemi being alive would bring about a reaction that would make the reaction to the Bourbon arc seem mild, by comparison.

Whether you agree or not, don't call me and others monsters. It's just not worth it, whatever your reason for doing so.

Anyway...

AzureHaseo wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:So you mean to say an anime episode became canon?

No. You misinterpreted me. I was simply saying that, in hindsight, it actually fixed a manga plot hole, although the anime people didn't mean to.

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:EDIT : actually it might not fix it, Ch 180 still has the newspaper with Akemi's death after the conversation
The problem is Akemi knowing about Conan before going to the pier to be killed
The anime changed it to have her live longer, but the conversation would have still had to happen
before going to the pier, but she still wouldn't have known that much about Conan at that point.

Wouldn't another plot hole be the gap between Akemi's death and Shiho's/Ai's escape? Why would that take so long?

Return to “Story Discussion (Manga Spoilers)”