What's the identity of Rum?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Startold

What's the identity of Rum?

Post by Startold »

This topic is dedicated to sharing theories about RUM.

The chinese recently spotted an old man in the bus in the bus hijack case, the old man in the Clash of Red and Black, and another old man in Jodie Remembers (the one-hour long episode). While searching for other old men in the manga, some fans found this, at the end of the Mystery Train:

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... 50-rum.png

We know Gosho never draws the background characters, because it's his assistants' job. But in the last page of the last file of the Mystery Train, a background character appears behind Vermouth, and he is drawn by Gosho. It could be Jii Kounosuke, or someone else. What do you think?
Last edited by Startold on October 23rd, 2015, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
悪いな・・・これはついさっき受けた・・・あの方直々の命令だ・・・
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by Nemomon »

Why do You think he's drawn by Gosho?

Considering that Vermouth is super close to the Boss, I think we can risk saying that she knows who Rum is. If so, I don't think she would try killing Haibara on Rum eyes.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Startold

Post by Startold »

You can clearly see it's Gosho's artstyle. Look at the others background characters, they aren't drawn as well.
But the old man can also be Jii Konosuke, Kid's assistant. In that case, Rum's only appearances are in the bus hijack case, the Clash of Red and Black, and then Jodie Remembers.

And what if Rum had come in the Bell Tree Train without warning Vermouth? Maybe he only works solo, unlike Gin who's always with Vodka. Rum's the number 2 in the Organization, so maybe he's the only person, the Boss excluded, who can give orders to Vermouth.
悪いな・・・これはついさっき受けた・・・あの方直々の命令だ・・・
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

It is Jii.
We need to know more about RUM first, the latest chapter did open a slight possibility of RUM being a trio team.
frankguo8
Conan is life

Post by frankguo8 »

Okiyakaivan

Post by Okiyakaivan »

Rum is male like old people or been shurken
Spoiler:
Shuu Tsukiyama "- Do you accumulate to eat to me other than"
Shiromi

Post by Shiromi »

So, RUM is described as an old man, a feminine man, and a muscle-man, right? In Japanese/Katakana-Eigo, "roujin" = old person, "uman" = woman, and "man" = man... so RUM's not one person, but three? /this is a stupid theory no one take it seriously please
My DC Fanfic: Awaking and Arising - Shiromi writes her version of the end of the series. With 100% more lesbians and immortal zombie boys. And existential crises. Lots of them.
Kogorou - A character study that seeks to answer the question: Why is Kogorou the way he is?
A Kindred Spirit - Sonoko and Makoto realize that they have more in common than previously realized.
DC Fanfic Rants

Betareading this fanfic: Deception
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Shiromi wrote:So, RUM is described as an old man, a feminine man, and a muscle-man, right? In Japanese/Katakana-Eigo, "roujin" = old person, "uman" = woman, and "man" = man... so RUM's not one person, but three? /this is a stupid theory no one take it seriously please
Actually, a bunch of people in the cbox think this might as well just be the case, so some people do take this theory seriously I think.
Shiromi

Post by Shiromi »

Kor wrote:
Shiromi wrote:So, RUM is described as an old man, a feminine man, and a muscle-man, right? In Japanese/Katakana-Eigo, "roujin" = old person, "uman" = woman, and "man" = man... so RUM's not one person, but three? /this is a stupid theory no one take it seriously please
Actually, a bunch of people in the cbox think this might as well just be the case, so some people do take this theory seriously I think.
Really? I just pulled it out of my ass a few minutes ago. I thought it was as silly as my Sonoko=Sono Ko theory.
My DC Fanfic: Awaking and Arising - Shiromi writes her version of the end of the series. With 100% more lesbians and immortal zombie boys. And existential crises. Lots of them.
Kogorou - A character study that seeks to answer the question: Why is Kogorou the way he is?
A Kindred Spirit - Sonoko and Makoto realize that they have more in common than previously realized.
DC Fanfic Rants

Betareading this fanfic: Deception
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Shiromi wrote:
Kor wrote:
Really? I just pulled it out of my ass a few minutes ago. I thought it was as silly as my Sonoko=Sono Ko theory.
I think some of the reasoning behind it is that if it isn't three people, then we might be facing disguises once again, and no one wants that. The other part is because it's constantly written as RUM (so far it's the only member to be written in capitalized English letters), which seems to indicate there's something going on with that.

What really doesn't work for me with the Rum is multiple people theory is that it'd be strange for several people at once to be the Number 2, so maybe it's somewhat like Haibara says, and there are a bunch of people who stand in for Rum in the organization, while the actual Rum doesn't tend to appear often before people.

We'll see what's that last detail Haibara will probably mention in the third file of the case. Then we'll have something extra to hold on for theories.
Conan 48:69

Post by Conan 48:69 »

I wonder if DCTP translate correctly in last page of File 898, Okiya said "It seems they're really close to the boss". The word "They" could it mean Rum is actually a group of more than 2 persons instead of just a single person's codename
Welcome To DCTP Radio Show! From DJ Conan!
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Conan 48:69 wrote:I wonder if DCTP translate correctly in last page of File 898, Okiya said "It seems they're really close to the boss". The word "They" could it mean Rum is actually a group of more than 2 persons instead of just a single person's codename
"They" can also be used for singular as well, especially when you don't know the right gender (which was the case back at file 898). I'm pretty that's what DCTP's translation was going for.
Okiyakaivan

Post by Okiyakaivan »

6 Facts about[RUM]

Facts about[RUM]:
•Male
•Alcoholic beverage distilled name
•It seems he’s an old-man where gosho said in[Sherry Soliloquy]on CH898:It’s finally a confrontation with Rum-chan!,chan Used for the elderly and the girl.
•Not Female,prove?gosho said in an interview that he used Alcoholic beverage distilled names for males and sweet alcoholic for females.
•More dangerous,important member than gin!.
•The boss’s right hand.

This facts about it not mine
Spoiler:
Shuu Tsukiyama "- Do you accumulate to eat to me other than"
Fujiwara
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Fujiwara »

Kor wrote:
Conan 48:69 wrote:I wonder if DCTP translate correctly in last page of File 898, Okiya said "It seems they're really close to the boss". The word "They" could it mean Rum is actually a group of more than 2 persons instead of just a single person's codename
"They" can also be used for singular as well, especially when you don't know the right gender (which was the case back at file 898). I'm pretty sure that's what DCTP's translation was going for.
Yep, it is. ^_^
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

I think it's rather that the other BO members don't really know who Rum really is. Some of that members describe them as a feminine man, some of them heard Rum is a muscle-man, and others heard that RUm is an old man.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.