What's the identity of Rum?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
Tantei San
User avatar

It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Posts: 302

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby Tantei San » November 7th, 2016, 10:20 am

Though its a speculation i wonder, that those lines by genta were more of trying to lure those robbers out.I think he mentioned it as a kid would usually do about his/her favourite character. And besides i think it is best to wait for the upcoming case to perfect it out and whether or not kanenori was something to do with RUM or not. I still guess him being a one-case-detective/red herring who might have/haven't anything to do with the storyline. Perhaps! All we talk are mere speculations.
Spoiler:
TAA...DAAAH....... You and me are HU-MAN....
sanchai95
User avatar
Posts: 17

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby sanchai95 » November 7th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Valentin wrote:While rereading Rumi Wakasa’s introduction case, I noticed something which might be insignificant on its own, but I think is worth mentioning in hindsight.

Image

In Kanenori Wakita’s introduction case, the Kamen Yaiba episode that one of the suspects wants to see features “a close associate of the opponent’s boss”, which might or might not be interpreted as a reference to Rum and eventually to Kanenori Wakita being Rum. As MeiTanteixX pointed out, though, there is another implication that allows a different reading and makes the constellation somewhat confusing.

What to my knowledge has not been highlighted in that context is that Rumi Wakasa’s introduction case includes a reference to a Kamen Yaiba episode as well. To lure out the three robbers who Rumi Wakasa would defeat later, she and the Detective Boys pretend to abandon the old warehouse and go home, which is when Genta and Mitsuhiko start talking about the Kamen Yaiba episode that Genta says would be broadcast on that day; Mitsuhiko then responds that “a mysterious female Yaiba” would make an appearance.

Image

Unlike the allusions in Kanenori Wakita’s introduction case, this one seems obvious—the “mysterious female Yaiba” would be Rumi Wakasa, who made her first appearance in these chapters—, so that alone would not be more than a (possibly humorous) line which is only uttered by a kid who might chat about anything that comes to his mind while play-acting.

But if we assume that this obviousness is supposed to set the tone for all ensuing Kamen Yaiba references, perhaps the one in Kanenori Wakita’s introduction case is just as plain, meaning that Kanenori Wakita is indeed Rum? His remark about Pirate’s Spirit being weak might then simply be his way to deliver a first glimpse at his deduction abilities, but unrelated to the plot.

Of course, this is only speculation. That the first hint is transparent does not entail that the next one is as well, and those annotations—the ones regarding Kamen Yaiba in particular—might equally be red herrings having no importance at all. But I think that such a recurring pattern might more often than not be systematic.

Thoughts?


This actually seems reasonable but what I thought of after reading your discussion post is that they are Rum's body doubles and those "close to him" who act on his behalf. I always thought of this as a possibility: Rum being one person (which is in accordance to what Gosho said) and that he has body doubles that give him his other features. And he uses these two people (Wakita and Wakasa) when he carries out his actions or appears in front of others, which is why people think he is old (his original self as if hes been with the BO from the very beginning he would be a senior), feminime (yes Rumi is female, but with simpler clothes and the fact that she is gifted in martial arts could mistake her for a man- not to mention they way she talks), and strong/bulky man (Wakita). This would make sense considering Rum is placing his 'action men' in places near Kogoro/Conan/Haibara (depending who he is investigating) in Beika. I know Gosho has said Rum is one person, but with the 'clue' that he might be 'cheating' in the hints he's given us this theory would fit.

This would also make sense when using the Kamen Yaiba references: "a close assosciate to the boss" and "female Yaiba"
I started reading Detective Conan as a kid, I loved every part of it even when I didn't understand the science or logic behind a case. Now as an adult, it's bitter sweet knowing the series has lasted this long, because I am still surprised at what Gosho has to over but sad knowing soon a big part of my life will come to an end. I'm glad to know there are people out there who love this series as much as I do and is willing to lose sleep just to discuss the intricate plot.
sanchai95
User avatar
Posts: 17

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby sanchai95 » November 7th, 2016, 1:17 pm

@Meitanteixx : wouldn't you say Gin is the no.3 in the BO?
I started reading Detective Conan as a kid, I loved every part of it even when I didn't understand the science or logic behind a case. Now as an adult, it's bitter sweet knowing the series has lasted this long, because I am still surprised at what Gosho has to over but sad knowing soon a big part of my life will come to an end. I'm glad to know there are people out there who love this series as much as I do and is willing to lose sleep just to discuss the intricate plot.
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 999

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby MeiTanteixX » November 7th, 2016, 1:26 pm

sanchai95 wrote:@Meitanteixx : wouldn't you say Gin is the no.3 in the BO?

I would, if Gosho finalizes that assumption. He can still make another character like Wakita the No. 3 of the BO and I wouldn't mind him dying at the end of the Rum arc, instead of Rum :P (if there will be a death to begin with...Wakita is after all most likely gonna figure out that Conan is a threat, and if he really is evil, he has to be stopped somehow)
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Edosun
Posts: 3

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby Edosun » November 13th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Valentin wrote:While rereading Rumi Wakasa’s introduction case, I noticed something which might be insignificant on its own, but I think is worth mentioning in hindsight.

Image

In Kanenori Wakita’s introduction case, the Kamen Yaiba episode that one of the suspects wants to see features “a close associate of the opponent’s boss”, which might or might not be interpreted as a reference to Rum and eventually to Kanenori Wakita being Rum. As MeiTanteixX pointed out, though, there is another implication that allows a different reading and makes the constellation somewhat confusing.

What to my knowledge has not been highlighted in that context is that Rumi Wakasa’s introduction case includes a reference to a Kamen Yaiba episode as well. To lure out the three robbers who Rumi Wakasa would defeat later, she and the Detective Boys pretend to abandon the old warehouse and go home, which is when Genta and Mitsuhiko start talking about the Kamen Yaiba episode that Genta says would be broadcast on that day; Mitsuhiko then responds that “a mysterious female Yaiba” would make an appearance.

Image

Unlike the allusions in Kanenori Wakita’s introduction case, this one seems obvious—the “mysterious female Yaiba” would be Rumi Wakasa, who made her first appearance in these chapters—, so that alone would not be more than a (possibly humorous) line which is only uttered by a kid who might chat about anything that comes to his mind while play-acting.

But if we assume that this obviousness is supposed to set the tone for all ensuing Kamen Yaiba references, perhaps the one in Kanenori Wakita’s introduction case is just as plain, meaning that Kanenori Wakita is indeed Rum? His remark about Pirate’s Spirit being weak might then simply be his way to deliver a first glimpse at his deduction abilities, but unrelated to the plot.

Of course, this is only speculation. That the first hint is transparent does not entail that the next one is as well, and those annotations—the ones regarding Kamen Yaiba in particular—might equally be red herrings having no importance at all. But I think that such a recurring pattern might more often than not be systematic.

Thoughts?

The word used in the Kanenori Wakita introduction case 側近 sokkin (close associate) is the exact same word that Subaru/Akai used in File 898 to describe Rum's position within the BO. So I think the reference to Rum is very clear in this case. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean Kanenori is Rum, it could just be a red herring, but the reference is there.

Then if we include the "mysterious female Yaiba" in the Rumi Wakasa introduction case, this could be a hint towards Rumi and Kanenori being mutual enemies, with Rumi being an ally of the good guys and Kanenori a member of the BO (he doesn't have to be Rum, could be someone else).
Amuro321
Posts: 24

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby Amuro321 » November 13th, 2016, 12:58 pm

The last time we had a suspicious teacher was Jodie and everyone though that she is a member of the BO, but she turned out to be a ally of Conan. Now everyone is suspecting the new Teacher Rumi Wakasa. I dont think that gosho is making it again that everyone thinks that she is a BO member and is actually another ally of conan. As we know BO member always have a Partner and it could be that Wakasa is the Partner or the subordinate fron RUM who should check conan because RUM is suspecting him.
kentasaiba
Mr. Pickles!
User avatar
Posts: 544

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby kentasaiba » November 13th, 2016, 1:22 pm

But Wakasa heard what the culprit said, that he wanted to kill his girlfriend. A Cop or Agent wouldn't allow that, just to see Conan solve the case in front of her.
Image
MeiTanteixX
User avatar
Posts: 999

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby MeiTanteixX » November 13th, 2016, 2:12 pm

kentasaiba wrote:But Wakasa heard what the culprit said, that he wanted to kill his girlfriend. A Cop or Agent wouldn't allow that, just to see Conan solve the case in front of her.

Which is why I think she'll be an anti-hero, at least a better one than Amuro, since she clearly did something morally wrong compared to Amuro's bad-boy behaviours!
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Image
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Image
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Image
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Edosun
Posts: 3

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby Edosun » November 13th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Yeah, I think Wakasa will turn out to be an enemy of the BO for her own personal reasons. She doesn't have to be a cop or an agent and she doesn't have to be all-good, it's not like she was an accomplice of the crime anyway.
Absenta
Posts: 36

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby Absenta » November 21st, 2016, 12:07 pm

I rely more towards into Wakita as a BO enemy, a RUM enemy actually.

Gosho said months ago that Rum has actually already appeared in the series...so it would be awful if it´s a new character introduced.
Spimer
Moderator
User avatar

Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Posts: 779

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby Spimer » November 21st, 2016, 12:54 pm

The problem with that statement is that we don't know if he meant "Rum" or "Lum" because both are written the same way in Japanese. It could be a reference to Lum (which Haibara brought up on the Scriptwriter case).
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Absenta
Posts: 36

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby Absenta » November 21st, 2016, 1:28 pm

Spimer wrote:The problem with that statement is that we don't know if he meant "Rum" or "Lum" because both are written the same way in Japanese. It could be a reference to Lum (which Haibara brought up on the Scriptwriter case).


I forgot that trolly assumption... :-\

Rum has to be a character really involved with the main plot, and with the Akai family for sure.
Spimer
Moderator
User avatar

Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Posts: 779

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby Spimer » November 21st, 2016, 4:56 pm

Involved with the plot he surely is, he's supossed to be higher in rank than Gin, anyway.

And involved with the Akai family... Possible but not necessarily, we'll have to wait and see.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
jimmy_kud0_tv2
User avatar
Posts: 673

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » November 21st, 2016, 6:05 pm

Spimer wrote:The problem with that statement is that we don't know if he meant "Rum" or "Lum" because both are written the same way in Japanese. It could be a reference to Lum (which Haibara brought up on the Scriptwriter case).


The AC hint and the first chapter of the Script writer case came out on the same day (by official shonen sunday release dates), and the AC hint uses the phrase "already appeared". Its probably a reference to that Lum drawing Gosho did in 2011.
It really saddens me to see people continuing to talk about this series as if its dying or that they are losing interest in it. This has been one of my favorite series' since I first heard of it in 2005 and I have never looked back. I really hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
Image
Spimer
Moderator
User avatar

Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Posts: 779

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby Spimer » November 21st, 2016, 6:26 pm

Thanks for the tip, jimmy. I didn't recall that both came out on the same day so I guess he did meant Lum.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"

Return to “Story Discussion (Manga Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests