What's the identity of Rum?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
unclesporkums
The one you'd never suspect...

Re: Spoilers: What's the identity of Rum?

Post by unclesporkums »

Possibly, but he could have had it altered some way, or maybe the eye injury wasn't that serious (gouging etc.). Gosho has been pulling stuff like this forever, and I doubt he'd stop now. It would actually be a welcome surprise if he did.
"Let's decide once and for all, Vermouth! No more hide-and-seek!!" - Conan Edogawa

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/unclesporkums?feature=mhee
Deviantart: http://drmuttonchops3.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://unclesporkums.tumblr.com/
alphajjc

Post by alphajjc »

Tsuburaya Mitsuhiko wrote:I think if Koumei is RUM, he will be the feminine part of RUM (if RUM consists of 3 people) and not RUM himself. As Meitantei already said, he misses the artificial eye and as of yet has to show some disguising skills.

Personally, I suspect the old guy to be RUM. All BO members introduced were entirely new characters and I don't think that Gosho will change that pattern. Besides, the old man fits RUMs description almost perfectly.

Hyoue Kuroda is a middle-aged strong-built man. While his right eye was injured, it's unclear if he uses an artificial eye. Chief of the first division of Nagano Police, his favorite drink is black tea. In the British Army, a mixture of rum and black tea is called gunfire.

8-)

I'm getting too excited. I think and hope its him too. If anyone could look like they could top Gin when it comes to being an elite adversary, this old man looks like he would fit that description. Yamato does not have an artificial eye. I know we dont know if the old guy does or not but it could be behind those glasses. With Yamato is he really using that X as an artificial eye?

As stated already I expect this Rum to be a new character; As also mentioned the last name must be the feminine feature .
alphajjc

Post by alphajjc »

MeiTanteixX wrote:
unclesporkums wrote:
MeiTanteixX wrote:
unclesporkums wrote:I'm going with Komei for the obvious reason that he's the least likely.
Other than he's the most unlikely, have u considered the RUM descriptions, especially the artificial eye? Are u claiming they were just random gossips, or something like him being a master in disguise?
No, he could have an artificial eye, and it doesn't look like it. I don't see why you're assuming I think that way..
sorry if I wasn't clear...
I Wasn't assuming that u thought that way, I was simply asking if that was what you were claiming, since u just said it could be koumei without any explaination other than him being least expected... but shouldn't koumei look at least a little as though he was in an accident? scars and burns can't usually be avoided during eye accidents...
I think this will be the one time where the most obvious person is the answer. I think Conan will only be stuck on trying to figure out what about the old officer is feminine then he realizes last minute about the first name sounding like a female then he is annoyed at himself that he did not notice something so simple.

I think Koumei and Yamoto are good-natured and I really cannot see them being BO members especially their actions in the past.
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

I think everyone should keep in mind it is a leap to assume Rum is actually appearing in this file. Maybe Rum will appear soon, but it is also certainly possible that Rum might not appear for the next 100 chapters while various suspects come and go. Remember Araide as Vermouth didn't show up right away after the Vermouth arc (Desperate Revival is first in person appearance) and the real Bourbon as Scar Akai and Amuro Tooru took a long time to appear as well.
unclesporkums
The one you'd never suspect...

Post by unclesporkums »

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote: Maybe Rum will appear soon, but it is also certainly possible that Rum might not appear for the next 100 chapters while various suspects come and go.
That would be nice. It would keep us on our toes. As would three different kinds of "least likely suspects". That way it would be even more difficult!
"Let's decide once and for all, Vermouth! No more hide-and-seek!!" - Conan Edogawa

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/unclesporkums?feature=mhee
Deviantart: http://drmuttonchops3.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://unclesporkums.tumblr.com/
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

Reading the latest File is giving me that creepy(lovable) vermouth feeling.....
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
Kahomi
Favored Ai-chan since 2004.

Favored Rei-kun since 2014.

Favored Shuuichi since some time between those two :))

Post by Kahomi »

in the latest file, Uehara said that about Hyoue "I think his right eye is an artificial one", and that after his coma, all his hair turn silver [?!?]. It can be another hint, or another troll. Who knows @@

and
Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:the real Bourbon as Scar Akai and Amuro Tooru took a long time to appear as well.
yes, Bourbon was first mentioned in vol. 59, but not until vol.75 did he really appear :))
Met DC by chance then about 3 hours later it scared the sh*t out of me in Spring 2001 and I ran for my life.
But boredom made me come to it once again in Winter 2004.

And I fell for it. Ever since then. Though sometimes it still frightens me like the first time :)
alphajjc

Post by alphajjc »

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:I think everyone should keep in mind it is a leap to assume Rum is actually appearing in this file. Maybe Rum will appear soon, but it is also certainly possible that Rum might not appear for the next 100 chapters while various suspects come and go. Remember Araide as Vermouth didn't show up right away after the Vermouth arc (Desperate Revival is first in person appearance) and the real Bourbon as Scar Akai and Amuro Tooru took a long time to appear as well.
Yes but remember TECHNICALLY speaking we saw Vermouth for the very first time in the first episode of the Vermouth arc at the party. Even if Conan did not know the name at that point, the point still goes that we knew early on. Like I was saying before I think Bourbon is the one rare exception to the rule and I believe it s going back to normal now.

What are we gonna get another CIA/FBI plot twist like with Kir and Jodie Starling respectively?
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

Both company president Goudzou from the Magic Kaito manga from Phantom Lady's backstory and detective Kuroda Hyoue have a fake eye. For any Rum hunters out there, here is how Gosho draws people who have both fake eyes and glasses in the manga. The fake eye side is shaded so that the eye is not visible through the glass. Furthermore this is done quite consistently in all panels, so it looks like the glasses are half regular glass half sunglasses.

In the anime, the fake eye is shown, but the pupil doesn't change size at all or react like the other eye. The eye just stays still and remains expressionless. For some reason the fake eye side doesn't blink which is strange because eyelids should still work. It is possible this pupil-never-changes convention might hold over to the manga (in case Rum does not wear glasses), but that's quite questionable.

MoonRaven
DCTP's 赤死
-
Cbox: Akai Tsuki
-
The paranoid and homicidial townie of DCTP Mafia

Post by MoonRaven »

When I look at that post by Chekhov I suddenly remember another person who had shadowed lense in glasses... Who? The person who's been suspected times before of course!
Spoiler:
Our dear FBI guy, James Black.
I leave this here. Just wanted to point it out.
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:Never ignore coincidence. Unless you are busy. Then always ignore the coincidence.
My dA There is one file for solely DC drawings.
My FF I have two DC fics: Rose in the Ecplipse of the Sun(or RitEotS) and Dream... or Not(or just DoN). The latter one still ongoing and has a spin-off Leap to Relatively Unknown.
My Tumblr
Dream or Not finished at 72 chapters

Chapter 31 of Leap to Relatively Unknown updated 27.3.19

Chapter 8 of the sequel, Leaping into the Dream updated 6.10.19

Chapter 2 of The Crow's Song updated 19.7.18
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

MoonRaven wrote:When I look at that post by Chekhov I suddenly remember another person who had shadowed lense in glasses... Who? The person who's been suspected times before of course!
Spoiler:
Our dear FBI guy, James Black.
I leave this here. Just wanted to point it out.
Seems more like just the shadow being visible through the glasses, the eyes are a little visible. This is just to add the mystery element of an unknown person. From what I've learned, nothing is supposed to be seen through the glasses!
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
geetp007
Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Post by geetp007 »

Guys i was just reading the Dc manga 914 English translation and found something terribly amazing...........SPOILER AHEAD!!!
Spoiler:
I was reading 914 when Conan was looking at inspector kansuke and asking uehara about hyoue(chief police on 1st division of nagano) and when uehara asked conan why is he so interested in him ( of course because haibara said that rum is a one eyed man.)And then came the surprise . Kansuke emerged from behind the Conan and said to uehara in a natural manner that 'it is only natural that he is interested.With a face that looks like boss of some organization( sinister and evil gist intended).
links below and also source
Spoiler:
If i have done some mistake then please tell me otherwhise dont you think this is a great hint............. atleast something ( like kansuke knows about BO)
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

@geetp007: you're jumping to conclusions too fast. That line by Yamato is intended to be irony: he did make similar irony on file 912 as well when he said "I can't believe a guy with those looks drinks black tea".

From a viewer's perspective I feel like it could be a troll by Gosho to throw us into speculation: I'd rather wait to see the conclusion to this case to draw conclusions. We've got little info and for all we know Kuroda could be totally unrelated.

Holmes once said it was pointless to speculate without actual data, too.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Kudo Shinchi
No comment......

Post by Kudo Shinchi »

I'm very curious as to how Gosho intends to go about with the Rum arc. This is the first time Gosho has used a previously long-established character as a suspect for the identity of the latest BO member (Araide was introduced right before Vermouth's first appearance so I don't think he really counts). It's quite clever how Gosho managed to match up Morufushi and Kansuke with some of Rum's characteristics. I'm inclined to discount both of them as possibly being Rum, which would leave Kuroda. On the other hand, I doubt Kuroda will be revealed to be Rum by the end of this case, because then the mystery will be over right then and there. Then again, Gosho still has the mystery girl and second brother to provide a mystery element, so maybe that doesn't matter....

It's odd, is what I'm trying to say. I would have expected to see a solid new recurring character who would function as the suspect for a while, like Okiya and Jodie. Kuroda might count, but he's a Nagano officer, which means his presence will be limited. It seems Gosho is doing something different this time, and I like it. It keeps me guessing, especially as this arc so far doesn't immediately resemble any of the others, aside from a new BO member to discover.
jimmy_kud0_tv2

Post by jimmy_kud0_tv2 »

My only questions about Kuroda being Rum would be why would he still be working for the police after his accident?, and why would he allow himself to be transferred to an outer district if he is currently investigating members of the BO trying to find spies? A majority of the BO members that we know of seem to stick to central Beika / Haido (Tokyo) areas (when they aren't on a boat or train). Nagano prefecture is about a 3 hour drive away from central Tokyo.

Also another thing that bothers me is that when you are giving a description of someone and you are hoping to make it so that the person you are telling can figure out who it is, I would go with something that fewer people are bound to have. For example first go with the fact that he has a prosthetic eye. Not many people have those, although it is possible for other people to have them. Second, go with the BURN SCAR on his face. If three people all looked at Kuroda after his accident and tried to describe him to me but none of them mentioned the huge burn scar on the side of his face..... I'd be concerned about their ability to describe appearance. While it is possible for other people to have burn scars, they many not be located on the face specifically. There would be really no need to describe the person's stature or age, because damage like this would be easily picked out of a crowd.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage