What's the identity of Rum?

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
sadsun15

Yehet ~

Re: What's the identity of Rum?

Postby sadsun15 » May 24th, 2017, 8:28 am

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:Chikara Katsumata, is he really a Rum horse?

If you mean "Rum candidate" yeah.

As a male, he fits the liquors-for-men codename pattern. He's old enough to be Rum. He appeared sans suspect box in chapter 899, and he dropped his own name in file 900. By file 906, Gosho said Rum had appeared (but this could refer to Lum Invader, so your call here). Chikara is conveniently linked to shogi which the dead Koji Haneda was interested in.

Chikara checks all three Rum-type boxes. Chikara is a strongly built man. Traditional japanese clothing for men is considered to be very old fashioned (versus the western suit) and would age him up in the eyes of those who do not know he wears a kimono because he plays shogi professionally. Other shogi players such as Haneda Shuukichi and Haneda Kohji meticulously care for their appearance because they are photographed often, and so they possess or carry beauty products more typically associated with women, like handmirrors and folding fans. Assuming Chikara possess beauty items like his peers, someone who knew might assume he was feminine. It's unclear if Chikara has a fake eye due to his limited number of appearances.

And Chikara gives Shuukichi a reason to matter, as the side of good in a Gosho-like "Shogi Showdown of Ultimate Destiny" versus the BO #2 and his mentor Kohji's killer.

Chikara is my favored Rum candidate at the moment. The others I don't like as much by process of elimination. Two of them have pretty strong "disqualifiers", assuming a loyal Rum (I hope so <_<)...

> Rumi has "Close interaction with Haibara" counting against her.
> Hyoue is doubly out by "Close interaction with Haibara" and "uncomfortably close to knowing Conan's secrets"
> Iori is basically Akako's monster butler post-flogging with a bishie stick. He's also the side character of Momiji who is the side character of Kazuha who is the side character of Heiji who is the side character of Shinichi. Maybe if he were more related to the main plot, I'd consider him viable.

> Wakita has just one major chapter to his name so he's a tough call. I think he's out by appearance alone though; he looks like a freaking beaver. Bigtime DC bad guys tend to be some variation of pretty or tough because that is still cool, but rarely are they bizarre. (Yes, I fully acknowledge this is a very arbitrary and subjective reason, but it makes artistic sense and Gosho has mostly stuck to it -- you want your glaring panel of meanies to look menacing and not have people get distracted by facial features that are too bizarre.)

The beaver part got me laughing! He sure has a pair of front bunny teeth (it's pretty cute tho!) Anyways, your deduction is point on I must say. Ever since Wakasa Rumi was introduced in the manga, I for sure thought she was Rum but I did feel like Gosho just wanted readers to think that way. But I changed my mind after reading your 'Chekov's Theories' thread. I just felt like telling you that haha sorry if this post is out of place.

Anyways, just wanted to ask, what do you think of Wakasa so far? In terms of personality I mean. She kinda got me hooked after knocking out those robbers. And from what I've read from your posts (correct me if I'm wrong or misread), we can assume that Wakasa is a good person? Cause I would like to think so...she's so bad-ass and all.. o/////o

p/s: really digging in your theories !
Zerozaki4869

Postby Zerozaki4869 » May 24th, 2017, 11:10 am

If you ask me, then Wakasa Rumi is surely not Rum. I do have nascent threads through which I'm building up Kuroda and Rumi both at the same time.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13300

From this thread you can find that Rumi is someone who has a deep spite for one eyed men. On the other hand Kuroda thinks Wakasa Rumi is behind the Kohji's murder and someone from the past, whom he had known on a personal level.
So it's highly likely that Wakasa Rumi is the up-loader and the fourth party(not Asaka.)
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar

BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Postby Chekhov MacGuffin » May 24th, 2017, 2:10 pm

sadsun15 wrote:Anyways, just wanted to ask, what do you think of Wakasa so far? In terms of personality I mean. She kinda got me hooked after knocking out those robbers. And from what I've read from your posts (correct me if I'm wrong or misread), we can assume that Wakasa is a good person? Cause I would like to think so...she's so bad-ass and all.. o/////o
Wakasa is the type of person who is willing to let a murder case go forward in order to get close to Conan instead of intervening or calling the police. At the same time she is a kind assistant in the classroom who is willing to jump into a dangerous situation to rescue Ayumi. Basically the exact same Ayumi-saved-from-hostage-taker-by-provoking-him-with-words scenario happened a long time ago with Okiya (ikkaku rock) before we knew his true identity. Ai was still not willing to trust him and told Conan to throw him out of Shinichi's house afterwards. That tells me Wakasa didn't frighten Ai as much as Okiya did back then (so maybe Rumi is not emitting a BO Aura?), and Haibara's word to Conan that she is a good person is gold in my book.
I see Wakasa's personality as conflicted. She is driven by a "dark" motive that sometimes, like in the camping case, completely consumes her thoughts until she no longer pays attention to what is going on around her. On the other hand, I don't think she is an especially good actor -- because we see these flashes of her dark-side come through in front of other people -- so that leaves me to believe her warm classroom behavior is also genuine. The way I have reconciled this behavior in my theories is by assuming she is basically a good person, but she has an aggressive "badass" side from being a former bodyguard for a high level person and she has been hunting for the answer to a 17 years old case she is the primary suspect of.
This isn't a very good analogy, but I think Wakasa's personality is the type which be born if you took the kind and tough Ran, killed Shinichi in a mysterious case, and forced Ran to be on the run as a primary suspect. She'd still be a kind person, but she'd never stop searching, and she might be willing to do some nasty things to find clues and get vengeance.
Zerozaki4869

Postby Zerozaki4869 » May 24th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
sadsun15 wrote:Anyways, just wanted to ask, what do you think of Wakasa so far? In terms of personality I mean. She kinda got me hooked after knocking out those robbers. And from what I've read from your posts (correct me if I'm wrong or misread), we can assume that Wakasa is a good person? Cause I would like to think so...she's so bad-ass and all.. o/////o
Wakasa is the type of person who is willing to let a murder case go forward in order to get close to Conan instead of intervening or calling the police. At the same time she is a kind assistant in the classroom who is willing to jump into a dangerous situation to rescue Ayumi. Basically the exact same Ayumi-saved-from-hostage-taker-by-provoking-him-with-words scenario happened a long time ago with Okiya (ikkaku rock) before we knew his true identity. Ai was still not willing to trust him and told Conan to throw him out of Shinichi's house afterwards. That tells me Wakasa didn't frighten Ai as much as Okiya did back then (so maybe Rumi is not emitting a BO Aura?), and Haibara's word to Conan that she is a good person is gold in my book.
I see Wakasa's personality as conflicted. She is driven by a "dark" motive that sometimes, like in the camping case, completely consumes her thoughts until she no longer pays attention to what is going on around her. On the other hand, I don't think she is an especially good actor -- because we see these flashes of her dark-side come through in front of other people -- so that leaves me to believe her warm classroom behavior is also genuine. The way I have reconciled this behavior in my theories is by assuming she is basically a good person, but she has an aggressive "badass" side from being a former bodyguard for a high level person and she has been hunting for the answer to a 17 years old case she is the primary suspect of.
This isn't a very good analogy, but I think Wakasa's personality is the type which be born if you took the kind and tough Ran, killed Shinichi in a mysterious case, and forced Ran to be on the run as a primary suspect. She'd still be a kind person, but she'd never stop searching, and she might be willing to do some nasty things to find clues and get vengeance.

I think you're mostly on the money on your Wakasa Rumi analysis, but I do have a small gripe.
The pressure which Haibara felt might not have come from Rumi. Kuroda was also present and was snooping on Rumi.
So if Kuroda is a BO member(not Rum but an infiltrator) unaware of Haibara's existence and currently is trying to hunt Rum down out of his own accord, then he might exude pressure on Haibara when he's snooping on Rumi but Haibara won't feel anything out of him in ordinary scenarios because he won't even be interested in her(There's also levels of BO pressure, Pisco exuded a faint "smell", even Haibara wasn't sure of his affiliation but Vermouth exuded a very strong "smell" .

Also there's another small gripe, though Wakasa Rumi is the uploader but I think she isn't Asaka. Currently the mysterious disappearance of Asaka points to the fact that Asaka was bribed by Rum to stand down and then Rum would have killed Asaka to erase the proof, but Asaka escaped.
Wakasa Rumi seems to have a bone to pick, she doesn't look like the one hiding from BO people/Rum.
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar

BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Postby Chekhov MacGuffin » May 24th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Zerozaki4869 wrote:Currently the mysterious disappearance of Asaka points to the fact that Asaka was bribed by Rum to stand down and then Rum would have killed Asaka to erase the proof, but Asaka escaped.
Wakasa Rumi seems to have a bone to pick, she doesn't look like the one hiding from BO people/Rum.
We don't know how Amanda's bodyguard was positioned at the scene (and the modern scissors case had pretty badly positioned bodyguards that didn't notice any commotion in the murder), or if she/he could be taken out somehow (whack to the head from behind or something), so Rum might not have needed to bribe anyone to gain access. Not knowing more about the Kohji crime scene layout makes everything more tenuous.
Rumi/the bodyguard/Asaka might not know about the BO at all and thus is not taking any special precautions, sort of like how Masumi Sera didn't really protect herself from Bourbon, while her Mom does most of the hiding and hotel switching.
Zerozaki4869

Postby Zerozaki4869 » May 25th, 2017, 12:46 am

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:Currently the mysterious disappearance of Asaka points to the fact that Asaka was bribed by Rum to stand down and then Rum would have killed Asaka to erase the proof, but Asaka escaped.
We don't know how Amanda's bodyguard was positioned at the scene (and the modern scissors case had pretty badly positioned bodyguards that didn't notice any commotion in the murder), or if she/he could be taken out somehow (whack to the head from behind or something), so Rum might not have needed to bribe anyone to gain access. Not knowing more about the Kohji crime scene layout makes everything more tenuous.
Rumi/the bodyguard/Asaka might not know about the BO at all and thus is not taking any special precautions, sort of like how Masumi Sera didn't really protect herself from Bourbon, while her Mom does most of the hiding and hotel switching.

If Amanda was so afraid of someone killing her, the bodyguard would have been nearby. As we know Amanda didn't have a bodyguard from the very beginning, so she had a threat perception and hired the mysterious bodyguard. So the bodyguard would most probably be in her room, when she isn't sleeping and/or doing personal stuff.
So Asaka was nearby, that's what prompts me to think that Rum bribed Asaka to gain access and was going to kill Asaka after that, but Asaka managed to escape( a collateral damage due to Kohji's involvement).
So the uploader probably isn't Asaka, but the state of Haneda's room indicates that there was a struggle between two people. So if Wakasa Rumi fought with Rum in Haneda's room when Haneda was probably writing the dying message.(As Amanda's room being the place of action is very unlikely)
I find Iori fitting the Asaka profile quite well,his effeminate look only increases his chances.

BTW what do you think of my Kuroda analysis?
alphajjc

Postby alphajjc » May 26th, 2017, 12:58 pm

How do you guys feel about Gin talking about how Rum messed up the case 17 years ago. With someone like Rum being higher ranking than Gin don't you feel like he should be careful with words more when talking about him.

Vodka is his lackey and is loyal to him but i still feel it was kind of reckless for Gin to say that. Or maybe he simply doesn't fear anyone at all. I could be just overthinking, how do you guys feel?
k11chi

Postby k11chi » May 26th, 2017, 1:50 pm

It's not if Rum is a realist and accepts the fact he messed up/wants to make others believe he messed up.
Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:

If Amanda was so afraid of someone killing her, the bodyguard would have been nearby. As we know Amanda didn't have a bodyguard from the very beginning, so she had a threat perception and hired the mysterious bodyguard. So the bodyguard would most probably be in her room, when she isn't sleeping and/or doing personal stuff.
So Asaka was nearby, that's what prompts me to think that Rum bribed Asaka to gain access and was going to kill Asaka after that, but Asaka managed to escape( a collateral damage due to Kohji's involvement).
So the uploader probably isn't Asaka, but the state of Haneda's room indicates that there was a struggle between two people. So if Wakasa Rumi fought with Rum in Haneda's room when Haneda was probably writing the dying message.(As Amanda's room being the place of action is very unlikely)
I find Iori fitting the Asaka profile quite well,his effeminate look only increases his chances.

Nearby doesn't mean they'd be in the same room as her (they stand outside), and the bodyguard could have had other things to do at the moment. Something obviously happened.
Also bribing makes no sense.
Zerozaki4869

Postby Zerozaki4869 » May 26th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Spoiler:
k11chi wrote:It's not if Rum is a realist and accepts the fact he messed up/wants to make others believe he messed up.
Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:

Nearby doesn't mean they'd be in the same room as her, and the bodyguard could have had other things to do at the moment. Something obviously happened.

I'm just trying to evaluate the possible options only. It's a logical conclusion that the bodyguard will be nearby all the time to protect the principal(the person who hired the BG). But in this case a nearby room isn't really a place where the body guard can watch over the principal, so probably when Amanda wasn't doing something private, the rational conclusion for Asaka is to stay in Amanda's room to keep her safe.
Bribing makes a hell lot of sense. If Rum bribed Asaka to stand down and Asaka did likewise, there's a stronger case for Asaka to just get the hell out.
Last edited by Spimer on May 27th, 2017, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed multiple quotes in spoiler box to make thread reading easier
k11chi

Postby k11chi » May 26th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Spoiler:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:
k11chi wrote:It's not if Rum is a realist and accepts the fact he messed up/wants to make others believe he messed up.
Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:

Nearby doesn't mean they'd be in the same room as her, and the bodyguard could have had other things to do at the moment. Something obviously happened.

I'm just trying to evaluate the possible options only. It's a logical conclusion that the bodyguard will be nearby all the time to protect the principal(the person who hired the BG). But in this case a nearby room isn't really a place where the body guard can watch over the principal, so probably when Amanda wasn't doing something private, the rational conclusion for Asaka is to stay in Amanda's room to keep her safe.
Bribing makes a hell lot of sense. If Rum bribed Asaka to stand down and Asaka did likewise, there's a stronger case for Asaka to just get the hell out.

Bodyguards don't stay in the same room, they watch over from outside. That's from where the culprit gets in. They don't appear inside a room through a secret passage or via magic.
And there's no reason to assume Rum would bribe a bodyguard and leave a hard witness alive. Blackmailing sure, but there's no proof of that.
Last edited by Spimer on May 27th, 2017, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zerozaki4869

Postby Zerozaki4869 » May 26th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Spoiler:
k11chi wrote:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:

Bodyguards don't stay in the same room, they watch over from outside. That's from where the culprit gets in. They don't appear inside a room through a secret passage or via magic.
And there's no reason to assume Rum would bribe a bodyguard and leave a hard witness alive. Blackmailing sure, but there's no proof of that.

You're mixing up Body-guards with guards on stake out duties. Bodyguards defend the principal they don't observe the place from where the criminal sneaks in, they work as a line of defense. Here Rum wasn't able to kill Asaka, that was the screw-up which Gin mentioned. Rum's failure to kill Asaka.

BTW if Asaka was standing guard at Amanda's door, the bribing scenario makes more sense.
Last edited by Spimer on May 27th, 2017, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
k11chi

Postby k11chi » May 26th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Spoiler:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:
k11chi wrote:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Zerozaki4869 wrote:
Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:

You're mixing up Body-guards with guards on stake out duties. Bodyguards defend the principal they don't observe the place from where the criminal sneaks in, they work as a line of defense. Here Rum wasn't able to kill Asaka, that was the screw-up which Gin mentioned. Rum's failure to kill Asaka. BTW if Asaka was standing guard at Amanda's door, the bribing scenario makes more sense.

I'm starting to doubt that Asaka was a bodyguard at all actually.

You'd need atleast 3 if you want 12 hours of surveillance a day and especially considering if it's a long-term contract. There's not much that one can do unless they were only hired for something specific.

Last edited by Spimer on May 27th, 2017, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dccd

Postby dccd » May 26th, 2017, 10:11 pm

On your picture there are just 2 bodyguards.
Besides this:
Number of bodyguards you need.
[ ] Yonehara = Rum
[ ] Kuroda = Amuros Boss
[x] MG = Mrs. Akai
[x] Haneda = Brother Akai
[ ] Rumi = Asaka
[ ] Wakita = Bo-Member Whiskey
[ ] Iori = just a butler
k11chi

Postby k11chi » May 26th, 2017, 10:52 pm

dccd wrote:On your picture there are just 2 bodyguards.
Besides this:
Number of bodyguards you need.

12 hours means 3 shifts making it so that there are always 2 that come at different times while the third one is sleeping. There can't be full number of human being workers 24/7.
Zerozaki4869

Postby Zerozaki4869 » May 27th, 2017, 12:17 am

That's why I'm convinced that Asaka wasn't an honest bodyguard at all. If she/he was really guarding Amanda then then Rum would have felt resistance.

Now, for the other option we have to assume that Rum was someone whom Amanda trusted, so Asaka stood down, Asaka went outside to give them privacy and Rum killed Amanda, but now Rum also needs to kill Asaka, as Asaka might become a witness and had already seen Rum, but Rum fails to kill Asaka, this altercation is seen by Kohji so Rum targets Kohji and kills him.

But meantime Wakasa Rumi comes in and fights with Rum, makes Rum almost blind in an eye. Rum leaves, Wakasa sees stuff in Kohji's hand, takes them as emotional treasures without realising their true meaning. Akai Tsutomu appeared as an investigator after these stuff had already happened and took pictures of the crime scene.

Now he/somebody else who got those pictures is tirelessly uploading them.
Last edited by Spimer on May 27th, 2017, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added paragraphs to make reading easier