My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Forum reserved for discussing specific points of the story—mostly from the manga. Be warned, these discussions will be current with the manga and will spoil many plot lines for anime-centric fans.
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 22nd, 2015, 1:45 pm

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:no no no Kichi (吉) means "luck", the "big/great luck" was an example where it was used. the "big" is the other kanji (大)


No need to overreact... I misinterpreted something—that's that.

So, you're suggesting that the hints said, "Sera-chan gets big/great luck" and "It's big/great luck!"? Don't tell me I got it wrong again... :-X

Those hints were from August 2014 and March 2015—the whole fortunes thing came up in A Shrine to Remember (File 850–File 852), which came out in March 2013... that's quite a call-back. I can get the reference for the 2nd-year anniversary of the case, but August 2014?... I don't see the connection.

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:I have actually said something similar several times
I've put this in several posts I have made on other threads, but when I went looking for them I forgot which threads
this one was copied out of a post above from Sept 14th/15th :

"((([....] there could still be a situation in which Shuukichi could still be a brother, but Shuuichi could still be the one on the phone)))"

Basically each time I said it though I left it as it is seen quoted here rather then further expanding on it the way that Ectogenesis did.


Indeed you did—thanks for the reminder. :)
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
jimmy_kud0_tv2
User avatar
Posts: 735

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » September 22nd, 2015, 2:26 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:no no no Kichi (吉) means "luck", the "big/great luck" was an example where it was used. the "big" is the other kanji (大)


No need to overreact... I misinterpreted something—that's that.

So, you're suggesting that the hints said, "Sera-chan gets big/great luck" and "It's big/great luck!"? Don't tell me I got it wrong again... :-X

Those hints were from August 2014 and March 2015—the whole fortunes thing came up in A Shrine to Remember (File 850–File 852), which came out in March 2013... that's quite a call-back. I can get the reference for the 2nd-year anniversary of the case, but August 2014?... I don't see the connection.

I wasn't saying that it was connected with the shrine case, I was saying that that was an example of a place where the kanji (吉) had appeared before.
The big/great (大) has nothing to do with it. That was just the context of the example I was using.

Kichi on its own just means "luck". In the context of the Ac hint "セラちゃんはキチにいってよんでる" (Sera-chan wa kichi-nii tteyonderu) after adding in
the kanji the way its seen on the post card, as well as the kanji for "Sera" would be "世良ちゃんは吉兄ってよんでる". "Sera-chan calls Kichi-nii"
where the "calls" is "to call a name" rather than "call on the phone". I was basically saying that Kichi means luck in this situation as if the
phrase would now be "Sera-chan calls [him] lucky brother". The main reason that "him" is not used in the way it was originally translated is
because Japanese doesn't really use pronouns. However for me, since we know its a brother, and therefore a male person, the use of
a pronoun makes more sense to me in English.

Bare in mine that I don't actually know that the word "luck" can actually be inserted in the Ac hint that way, but the way that Gosho drew the
kanji in the post card makes it look like he is using that form of the kanji rather then the version in Shuukichi's name.

Also, I didn't mean it to sound like i was overreacting, I just kind of type how I say things out loud.
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » September 22nd, 2015, 6:32 pm

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:I didn't mean it to sound like i was overreacting, I just kind of type how I say things out loud.


Gotcha. :)

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:I wasn't saying that it was connected with the shrine case, I was saying that that was an example of a place where the kanji (吉) had appeared before. The big/great (大) has nothing to do with it. That was just the context of the example I was using.

Kichi on its own just means "luck". In the context of the Ac hint "セラちゃんはキチにいってよんでる" (Sera-chan wa kichi-nii tteyonderu) after adding in
the kanji the way its seen on the post card, as well as the kanji for "Sera" would be "世良ちゃんは吉兄ってよんでる". "Sera-chan calls Kichi-nii"
where the "calls" is "to call a name" rather than "call on the phone". I was basically saying that Kichi means luck in this situation as if the
phrase would now be "Sera-chan calls [him] lucky brother". The main reason that "him" is not used in the way it was originally translated is
because Japanese doesn't really use pronouns. However for me, since we know its a brother, and therefore a male person, the use of
a pronoun makes more sense to me in English.

Bare in mine that I don't actually know that the word "luck" can actually be inserted in the Ac hint that way, but the way that Gosho drew the
kanji in the post card makes it look like he is using that form of the kanji rather then the version in Shuukichi's name.


Thanks for the clarification.

So... "Sera-chan calls [him] lucky brother" and "It's lucky brother!", huh? The hints still most likely refer to Shukichi, then, unless there's another character who could fit this... or has yet to, as in they haven't been introduced yet—if the name "Kichi-nii" hasn't appeared, perhaps the character known by that name has yet to—which would mean Shukichi clone, right? She calls Shuichi "Shu-nii..." and he hasn't exactly been lucky, has he?
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
jimmy_kud0_tv2
User avatar
Posts: 735

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » October 16th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Posting these images here because its been brought to my attention that the middle brother arm from the bowling alley case was redrawn for its volume 81 appearance. Below are comparisons between clothing worn by Shuukichi and Subaru for future reference.


Image
Image


ALSO, another thing I want to point out!!!!!!
The images change depending on the source
the scanlations are intentionally darkened for better viewing of things
but sometimes the details become hidden by the darkening

Shonen Sunday version............ Scanlation version................. Volume 81 version
Image
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » October 16th, 2015, 3:49 pm

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:Posting these images here because its been brought to my attention that the middle brother arm from the bowling alley case was redrawn for its volume 81 appearance. Below are comparisons between clothing worn by Shuukichi and Subaru for future reference.


Image
Image


ALSO, another thing I want to point out!!!!!!
The images change depending on the source
the scanlations are intentionally darkened for better viewing of things
but sometimes the details become hidden by the darkening

Shonen Sunday version............ Scanlation version................. Volume 81 version
Image


Ah, that outfit, from Department Store Bomber Case/The Crisis Beckoned by the Red Omen (File 700–File 704/Episode 578–Episode 581)—considering the texture, it looks like Shuichi/Subaru is the one receiving the text, there. Shukichi's shogi clothes lack the pattern that Shuichi's/Subaru's clothes from File 700–File 704/Episode 578–Episode 581 have.

If you brighten the scanlation of the other files where Shuichi/Subaru is wearing the black shirt, you should get the shirt in the original SS version of File 860.

Actually, it looks like the brightness of the collar and the shirt were simply changed between the SS version and the Volume 81 version.

EDIT:
Just thought of something—do you have the original SS releases of the panels with Shukichi that you're showing?
Last edited by DCUniverseAficionado on October 16th, 2015, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Uchiha Shadow
User avatar
Posts: 291

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby Uchiha Shadow » October 16th, 2015, 3:52 pm

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:Posting these images here because its been brought to my attention that the middle brother arm from the bowling alley case was redrawn for its volume 81 appearance. Below are comparisons between clothing worn by Shuukichi and Subaru for future reference.


Image
Image


ALSO, another thing I want to point out!!!!!!
The images change depending on the source
the scanlations are intentionally darkened for better viewing of things
but sometimes the details become hidden by the darkening

Shonen Sunday version............ Scanlation version................. Volume 81 version
Image


It seems like Gosho is making the possibility that the person talking to Masumi is Akai more possible on purpose, well, I don't mind it being true if only Shuukichi is the middle brother.
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » October 16th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Found this image:

Image
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
jimmy_kud0_tv2
User avatar
Posts: 735

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » October 16th, 2015, 9:12 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:EDIT:
Just thought of something—do you have the original SS releases of the panels with Shukichi that you're showing?


I do, but they are on an external hard drive that I just realized that I left somewhere else
I can post the original SS scans of the Shuukichi images tomorrow (about 15 hours from now)
The two of Shuukichi in Shogi attire that I posted on the DCW forums earlier today were from the Volume versions

EDIT:
Here are 11 different side by side images of Shuukichi from SS to Volume 85
Unfortunately since SS is printed on recycled paper, sometimes the pages can be white, red, or green.... I found red
The panel of Shuukichi's arm that is the same angle as the middle brother's hand was cropped weirdly
by the person that uploaded it, so it doesn't show the sleeve on the SS version.
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


EDIT 2:
Posted about the phones over at DCW
http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/foru ... /?p=366568
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » October 17th, 2015, 12:41 pm

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:EDIT:
Just thought of something—do you have the original SS releases of the panels with Shukichi that you're showing?


I do, but they are on an external hard drive that I just realized that I left somewhere else
I can post the original SS scans of the Shuukichi images tomorrow (about 15 hours from now)
The two of Shuukichi in Shogi attire that I posted on the DCW forums earlier today were from the Volume versions

EDIT:
Here are 11 different side by side images of Shuukichi from SS to Volume 85
Unfortunately since SS is printed on recycled paper, sometimes the pages can be white, red, or green.... I found red
The panel of Shuukichi's arm that is the same angle as the middle brother's hand was cropped weirdly
by the person that uploaded it, so it doesn't show the sleeve on the SS version.
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


EDIT 2:
Posted about the phones over at DCW
http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/foru ... /?p=366568


Can't you faintly see the texture on his sleeve (especially in the SS versions, but you can just make it out on the more refined versions) matches the texture on the re-drawn 3rd panel of Page 16 of File 860 of Volume 81 (whew, that's long-winded)? So, by the texture criterion alone, it could either be Shukichi's shogi outfit, or Shuichi's/Subaru's outfit from Department Store Bomber Case/The Crisis Beckoned by the Red Omen (File 700–File 704/Episode 578–Episode 581).

I think the color difference between those outfits—Shuichi's/Subaru's is lighter—is a key factor, here. Does someone have a high quality picture of the last panel of Page 16 of File 702 of Volume 67 and from the only panel from Page 2 of File 899 of Volume 85 (I mean from the actual volumes that have been released). Pictures of Shukichi from File 899 are either too low quality or too refined. I'd like to see a less refined image of Shuichi/Subaru in the outfit in question, as well.

These two panels from the volumes can then be compared with the panel from Page 16 of File 860 of Volume 81—they'll all be in volume format.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » November 2nd, 2015, 8:12 pm

Apologies for the double post.

Here's a comparison between File 702, Page 16 and File 860, Page 16 (Volume 81).

File 702, Page 16
Image

Image

File 860, Page 16 (Volume 81)
Image

As you can see, they're not the same texture.

And here's File 898, Page 2.

File 898, Page 2
Image

Image

The color is too dark, here... at least in the scanlated version.

While I do think that this is Shuichi's/Subaru's hand, this re-drawn panel with the sleeve isn't proof—it could be Shukichi's hand, too.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
jimmy_kud0_tv2
User avatar
Posts: 735

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby jimmy_kud0_tv2 » November 2nd, 2015, 10:03 pm

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:Here's a comparison between File 702, Page 16 and File 860, Page 16 (Volume 81).
File 702, Page 16
Image
File 860, Page 16 (Volume 81)
Image
As you can see, they're not the same texture.
And here's File 898, Page 2.
File 898, Page 2
Image
The color is too dark, here... at least in the scanlated version.
While I do think that this is Shuichi's/Subaru's hand, this re-drawn panel with the sleeve isn't proof—it could be Shukichi's hand, too.

Both of your images look flipped, is that intentional?
Also that shuukichi sleeve is from 899, 898 is Scarlet Epilogue
For the best results I think its best if we don't use the darkened scanlation versions
(For everyone, I'd be happy to provide any volume versions of images on request, or you can obtain them via torrent in many places)
here are non-reversed Volume 67 sleeve (Subaru) and the Volume 85 sleeve (Shuukichi)
Image......................................Image

Also, of the volume scans I have, the sleeve texture looks slightly different, but still mostly the same so its probably a scan thing
Image
I hope that I can find someway to contribute to the community even if it's just random crack theories and looking things up for people who can't find the information they need.
ImageImage
DCUniverseAficionado
User avatar

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Posts: 1416

Re: My "Middle Brother" identity theory

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » November 3rd, 2015, 2:46 pm

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:Both of your images look flipped, is that intentional?


Yes, in order to match the sleeve in File 860.

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:Also that shuukichi sleeve is from 899, 898 is Scarlet Epilogue


Derp—pressed the "8" instead of the "9" on the keyboard. :|

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:For the best results I think its best if we don't use the darkened scanlation versions


Agreed.

jimmy_kud0_tv2 wrote:here are non-reversed Volume 67 sleeve (Subaru) and the Volume 85 sleeve (Shuukichi)
Image......................................Image

Also, of the volume scans I have, the sleeve texture looks slightly different, but still mostly the same so its probably a scan thing
Image


Shukichi's sleeve doesn't appear to have texture, unless you look very closely. The texture of Shuichi's/Subaru's sleeve, on the other hand, is quite pronounced. The texture of the middle brother's sleeve is more like Shuichi's/Subaru's.

Seeing these volume scans gives consistency—upon further thought, this does seem to be quite the indicator that the one in contact with Masumi is Shuichi/Subaru.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests