How many languages can Conan speak ?

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
CaseClosed101
*Iz avatarless*

Re: How many languages can Conan speak ?

Post by CaseClosed101 »

Eve wrote:
Dus wrote: Yeah, but Yusaku doesn't. :P If I were to meet someone from Brazil, I'd try speaking English with them.
Great plan XD
*Walks up to Random Brazilian*

Hi. Whats up?

Anybody notice how Conan seems to learn everything with his dad in Hawaii? BTW.
Given an infinite universe and infinite time, all things will happen. That means that every event is inevitable, including those that are impossible.
pofa wrote: Number of pofa heart attacks this round: 3+ -.-

The real moral of the story: Don't ever tell Xcomm it would be funny if he did something. (What would that have been, like, pulling a perpetual pofa? D:)
Jd- wrote: This goes without saying, but now you guys really have to win.

I demand it!
Dus
Community Drunken Raccoon
45% Kogoro, 54% Raccoon, 100% Beerslayer

Post by Dus »

I really don't get what's so funny about that. If I were in Japan I would be glad to find someone who spoke good English and explained to me what was going on. English is pretty much the universal language and it's not unthinkable that a Brazilian understands ist. ::)
We don't make mistakes. We have happy accidents.
Remember: A thin paint will stick to a thick paint.
CaseClosed101
*Iz avatarless*

Post by CaseClosed101 »

Dus wrote: I really don't get what's so funny about that. If I were in Japan I would be glad to find someone who spoke good English and explained to me what was going on. English is pretty much the universal language and it's not unthinkable that a Brazilian understands ist. ::)
So do I, actually, but I'm just playing along. Try walking around in Japan, looking for a person who knows enough Japanese so they can show you to a certain hotel or something.

Impossible.

Trust me.
Given an infinite universe and infinite time, all things will happen. That means that every event is inevitable, including those that are impossible.

The real moral of the story: Don't ever tell Xcomm it would be funny if he did something. (What would that have been, like, pulling a perpetual pofa? D:)

I demand it!
Dus

Post by Dus »

CaseClosed101 wrote: Try walking around in Japan, looking for a person who knows enough Japanese so they can show you to a certain hotel or something.

Trust me.
The Japanese can't speak Japanese? :o
How the hell are they communicating? Sign language?
CaseClosed101
*Iz avatarless*

Post by CaseClosed101 »

Dus wrote:
CaseClosed101 wrote: Try walking around in Japan, looking for a person who knows enough Japanese so they can show you to a certain hotel or something.

Trust me.
The Japanese can't speak Japanese? :o
How the hell are they communicating? Sign language?
LOL. Typo. English. I meant ENGLISH. ROFL.

I demand it!
Abs.
DCTP Staff Hero

Post by Abs. »

English is only the universal language to the people that can speak it.
Your opinion is always requested in Abs.' Random Polls of Whenever
CaseClosed101
*Iz avatarless*

Post by CaseClosed101 »

Abs. wrote: English is only the universal language to the people that can speak it.
Korea considers it THE ULTIMATE LANGUAGE so.... Yeah. They're crazy about English here.

I demand it!
mangaluva
Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Post by mangaluva »

I think he probably just speaks English and Japanese fluently, but can keep afloat in most other languages. (Large parts of English are words stolen and bastardized from other languages, so that might help with guessing out other languages. Because of the Latin root, if you're fluent in one European language, you can often guess your way through the others. Spoken, anyway.)

I'd guess that, being the crazy reader that he is, he's aware of most of the major alphabets, hence the Russian thing.
Dus

Post by Dus »

I don't know how reading mysteries would teach him Russian (the Russian crime novel is a fairly novel invention), I only ever it turning up once in a Christie novel, where knowing Russian totally gave the game away.
But yeah, he probably has an understanding of (European) languages akin to what most intellectual or semi-intellectual Europeans have: You may not really be able to speak French, Spanish, Italian, or German, but there's probably quite a few words you'll at least recognize.
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

Dus wrote: You may not really be able to speak French, Spanish, Italian, or German, but there's probably quite a few words you'll at least recognize.
Exactly. (This is the only possible explanation for me passing French.)
Charyu974

Post by Charyu974 »

I don't know in others countries but In France, we are forced to learn English at school -_-. Possibly (Or inevitably), another language (Chinese, Russian, german, spanish, japanese, italian...)
So that's why a lotta French people know how to talk English (I think) ;)

How about the others countries ? (in yours ?)
mangaluva wrote:Because of the Latin root, if you're fluent in one European language, you can often guess your way through the others.
+1. If I don't know a word in French, I use the Ancient Greek to guess it  :)
If I don't know a word in German, I use the English to guess it :p
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

In Scotland, you have to take French until the end of your Standard Grades (Which you take at the end of your fourth year of high school; we do seven years of primary and four to six of secondary), so I know... bits. But I was always very bad at it. Exams were more on guesswork than anything else.
Suutashi
I'll fix it later.

Post by Suutashi »

mangaluva wrote: I think he probably just speaks English and Japanese fluently, but can keep afloat in most other languages. (Large parts of English are words stolen and bastardized from other languages, so that might help with guessing out other languages. Because of the Latin root, if you're fluent in one European language, you can often guess your way through the others. Spoken, anyway.)

I'd guess that, being the crazy reader that he is, he's aware of most of the major alphabets, hence the Russian thing.
I don't think this is necessarily true with German. I took German and apparently it is not a Latin originated language. It's true that some German words sound a bit like certain English words; you're still in for a headache if you try to just guess your way through either spoken or written German.
Dus

Post by Dus »

Well, the vast majority of English words that don't go back to Latin have a German cognate, so it's possible to guess correctly at an otherwise unknown German word (or Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian).
Last edited by Dus on December 9th, 2010, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

As I said, A good half of English is a mishmash of words from other languages. Because England was conquered by the Romans, then the Vikings, then the Normans, and a few other people in between IIRC, both Latin and Germanic languages have contributed. So English is a better guess-help at German than, say, Spanish probably is.