Detective Conan VS The Status Quo

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
thriceplus

Re: Detective Conan VS The Status Quo

Post by thriceplus »

People are way overthinking this. Conan's ultimately a casual show and is one of the very few anime that's mainly watched by non-Otakus. For them, they just want to tune in every once in a while without the expectation of needing to watch all 900+ episodes.
kkslider5552000 wrote: The first one being to simply air less episodes. I mean, the simplest answer, if there’s less episodes there’s less filler and more time spent on the filler there is. Presumably it would also give the animators more time to work on these episodes as well. But I really, really doubt that will actually happen. None of these complaints matter to most of its fans in Japan since Conan is consistently one of the most popular series there. In fact, the one time I heard about ratings going down was because of them airing less episodes for about two years, so it would be counter productive to ratings. It’s clearly never happening.
Like you said, this makes no sense for anyone because Conan's still a ratings draw (at least as far as anime goes, although anime has a whole has been down since the peak years where Conan often had a top 3 rating for all TV). But I disagree that having fewer episodes would give the animators "more time to work". The poor animation quality is likely more due to budget reasons than anything and having fewer episodes would mean the animators would be doing crunch for some other YTV show that's replacing Conan rather than YTV investing more money into Conan.
kkslider5552000 wrote: The second idea would be to make the cases longer. The one time they put out a 3 part case a few years ago, it ended up being great. So it makes me wonder why they don’t do it more often. In theory at least, it makes sense as you would have more time to focus on a smaller amount of murder mysteries and thus could do a better job with them. Maybe you could even make a story arc with original characters, like a legit filler arc. I dunno, maybe they’ve just been unable to make something that works for longer than two episodes. But I would appreciate the effort.
A filler arc is doable I guess, but idk, do people really like the filler arcs in Bleach or Naruto? A filler arc is still filler so I don't really see a Conan filler arc being that exciting, not to mention there will be heavy continuity considerations. If a filler arc introduces a new BO member or anything related to the main plot, then it's going to be a nightmare sorting it out with the manga. There's a reason why all the BO originals in the movies die before the movie ends. That said, as I've stated in an old topic, if the Conan manga ends and YTV still wants the anime going, they will eventually be forced to test out the water on filler arcs. One idea I've always liked is an Eri themed courtroom arc. They've done these in the past (which I can barely remember whether they were good or not since it's been decades), but it could potentially be a twist on the usual but still preserving the murder mystery aspect.
kkslider5552000 wrote: And this ties into problems I have with the franchise as a whole. Yes, at the end of the day it is a murder mystery series. Murder mysteries are and should be the focus, that is without any doubt. But when it is truly unending like this and when it airs 40 episodes, at 20 minutes each (taking away the Opening and Ending), every year, and when so much of it feels like a pointless repeat of a better story you’ve seen in the same series, I think something else beyond cases would be for the best. I’m not asking for it to become absurd or contradict everything we know (though pulling something like OVA 1 could be amazing), but taking a slice of life sort of look at the characters or putting them in situations that are pretty different could do a lot for the series.
We already got Zero's Tea Time and it would not surprise me if it eventually gets an adaptation that replaces regular Conan for some time.

Ultimately, I think it all comes down to the cases sucking recently and I do agree. The cases do suck, but that should be expected for a murder mystery series that has 900+ episodes. I mean there's only so many ways you can kill people with household objects without it getting ridiculous and it's exponentially harder now to come up with anything decent that's somehow also novel. As for AO, I suspect a lot of them have ulterior motives like being ads for their sponsors, so I don't really think they care that much as long as it continues to bring in the ratings.

As for the posts commenting on the shipping or character aspects, yeah they are often cheesy as hell, but I guess I'm just not that bothered by it. Conan is predominantly a mystery series and the romance is just in the background.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

That's actually the opposite of my point. The AOs aren't even interesting enough to "suck". As far as I can tell, they are on average fairly competent, to the point that it can often be difficult to have any opinion about it at all. Occasionally it's ridiculous, but rarely more ridiculous than what the series has pulled enough times in the past. And I'm at the point where if it was noticeably, hilariously bad, it would be an improvement purely on the basis of being less boring.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
Misztina

Post by Misztina »

Antiyonder wrote: I'm talking about the idea of recognizing that women aren't the play things of their boyfriend/husband. Case in point:
1. If the Eisuke tricking Conan had the happen, it should have ended with the latter stating "Ran's a big girl and as much as it's hard for me to say, she can make her own decisions on who dates her".

2. Ran willing to let herself be murdered because she'd look purdy just because of a stupid piece of paper? No thanks. That's not a smart person making a healthy lapse in decision. It's someone who needs therapy. The only healthy decision is "be true to herself" and "screw predictions, I'm not letting an ahole kill me".

Basically question the societal wisdom of denying women their agency and that possessiveness is arguably a step towards abuse (i.e. a crime).
Ah, it's much clearer.

2. That was a ridiculous case, it made Ran look 100X more stupid than usual. I mean, I can accept that a 17-year-old girl is not neccesseraly reasonable all the time and she has such people like Shinichi and Heiji who are more mature (in more ways) than their average classmates, so compared to them she seems to be lacking. However, it is total non-sense what she did in that case. It's a character killer thing for sure, shame on Gosho. (>_>)

(Also, I learned a new word, "purdy".)

1. Eisuke was a wimp, and less mature. I believe that an adult character would have said what you wrote there, someone with life experience. These characters are seventeen(ish?) and it was shown several times that even the great Shinichi can't know and understand everything (e.g. when Kogoro or Yusaku solved a case).

I'm hopeful that Gosho's main point in the end will be that Ran is a capable girl, who doesn't need that much protection and can stand more equal to Shinichi. Afterall, in the first chapters she saved him, and she is also deeper in the BO things. She knows about Vermouth, she saved Ai, knew Akemi and she is definitely suspicious of Conan either consciously or unconsciously. And she is the "big sister" type. Gosho's favourite. A girl, who is strong, stronger than boys would think, but also has the qualities of a traditional Japanese girl ('s image), good wife, bit frail, easy to cry, but can carry heavy (emotional) weights on her shoulder.

Shinichi needs to grow, he is too possesive, and that makes his character flawed and real at the same time. Teenage boys, who get the girl they really wanted would "kill" any other guys with their eyes if they ever approached their girl. If they mature, they can handle such emotions well/better. If these emotions get out of control, you get to the abuse part. But since Shinichi is likely to becme more mature I would think his possessiveness comes from his childishness (I do love the irony).
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

kkslider5552000 wrote:That's actually the opposite of my point. The AOs aren't even interesting enough to "suck". As far as I can tell, they are on average fairly competent, to the point that it can often be difficult to have any opinion about it at all. Occasionally it's ridiculous, but rarely more ridiculous than what the series has pulled enough times in the past. And I'm at the point where if it was noticeably, hilariously bad, it would be an improvement purely on the basis of being less boring.
Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by suck, since I don't think AOs need be interesting in order to suck. Most are just boring and bland with barely a mystery at all.

Also, it's not even the AO. Gosho's cases have been pretty bad as well, with the policewoman serial killing being the worst canon case we've ever had (in my opinion). The mystery was just AO level awful.
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Well. The manga is definitely slowing the anime down a million times but I must say that the series (movies, anime, manga) as a whole is better than it was some years back. M21 was amazing as well as Episode One, and I liked 20 and especially 22, also Zero's Tea Time is a nice extra for Amuro fans.

The anime itself.. Thing is that AO's are rarely good these days. There have been some rare episodes that are worth watching due to the writers ( The Case of the Séance Double Locked Room, 2011, A Cursed Mask Coldly Laughs, 2000) but overall they are just overtaking the show too much.
Antiyonder

Post by Antiyonder »

Misztina wrote:1. Eisuke was a wimp, and less mature. I believe that an adult character would have said what you wrote there, someone with life experience. These characters are seventeen(ish?) and it was shown several times that even the great Shinichi can't know and understand everything.
Eh. The problem though is that the scene doesn't frame Shinichi as being in the wrong. Heck you even have fans cheering for him at that moment.

Having a character making mistakes is good. Lack of treating it as a problem is messed up.
The Mystery of Conan Edogawa.

Arguably one of the best attempts at tackling the story of "Ran discovering the secret behind Conan". It's strong point is taking a common plot for Detective Conan fan fics and presenting it in a fresh manner such as:
- Touching on things that aren't dealt with in the show or discussed much.
- While there is some understanding towards Conan's predicament, the fic doesn't ignore the problematic approach he takes towards keeping quiet.

So, do yourself a favor and read this. I only wish I could so something half as decent.