About the long term future of the Conan anime

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
thriceplus

About the long term future of the Conan anime

Post by thriceplus »

With Gosho being increasingly hiatus prone (and being on hiatus again), now's an interesting time to talk about what you expect the long term plans for the Conan anime are. I think there are two separate questions

1. With Gosho announcing a long hiatus very recently on top of all the previous hiatus, how would you expect the anime to deal with the issue of gradually fewer source material? Assume Gosho doesn't come back for years, will the anime just run fillers until he's back?

2. When the Conan manga ends, what do you expect will happen to the anime? Especially if the Conan manga ends with Conan turning back into Shinichi. Will the anime just end? Will they pull a Boruto? Conan being episodic and retaining good ratings make wonder if they'll just twist the manga ending so Shinichi stays Conan forever and then just run anime original Conan fillers forever.
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Re: About the long term future of the Conan anime

Post by DCUniverseAficionado »

thriceplus wrote:With Gosho being increasingly hiatus prone (and being on hiatus again), now's an interesting time to talk about what you expect the long term plans for the Conan anime are. I think there are two separate questions

1. With Gosho announcing a long hiatus very recently on top of all the previous hiatus, how would you expect the anime to deal with the issue of gradually fewer source material? Assume Gosho doesn't come back for years, will the anime just run fillers until he's back?

2. When the Conan manga ends, what do you expect will happen to the anime? Especially if the Conan manga ends with Conan turning back into Shinichi. Will the anime just end? Will they pull a Boruto? Conan being episodic and retaining good ratings make wonder if they'll just twist the manga ending so Shinichi stays Conan forever and then just run anime original Conan fillers forever.
1. They already air a lot of fillers, so that won't change—there'll just be more of them, if Gosho's on hiatus long enough that the anime catches up to the manga (which I actually doubt will happen).

2. The movies will definitely go on for a while, and the anime, too—given that the Japanese audience doesn't really seem to care about the manga adaption part—I'm really not sure exactly how they'll choose to extend it, though. I guess the least risky way to do it would be to just keep doing things as they are, and not risk loosing viewers with a sequel series.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

I'm expecting Conan post-manga ending to be very similar to Lupin. They'll come back with a movie or a special or on rare occasion a shorter series about every year without any real interest in long term continuity. I mean, the anime is owned by the same exact company and that's worked out for forever for Lupin, so it just makes sense.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
DCUniverseAficionado
Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

kkslider5552000 wrote:I'm expecting Conan post-manga ending to be very similar to Lupin. They'll come back with a movie or a special or on rare occasion a shorter series about every year without any real interest in long term continuity. I mean, the anime is owned by the same exact company and that's worked out for forever for Lupin, so it just makes sense.
Yeah, at the very least, something like this will happen.

Basically, there will be content—the thing is, just how much content will there be... that's what I'm pondering.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
yoko91

Post by yoko91 »

I want the special volumes. We have 40 volumes of material that could be animated.
DCUniverseAficionado

yoko91 wrote:I want the special volumes. We have 40 volumes of material that could be animated.
Yeah, it has been awhile since one of those was adapted.
thriceplus

Post by thriceplus »

Definitely interesting to see people thinking that the anime will end with the manga. However, I feel like Conan's one of the rare franchises (unlike say Naruto or even One Piece) where the anime is much bigger than the manga. In that regard, I feel Conan's a much closer franchise to something like Doraemon than anything else at this point, with strong anime ratings and very high yearly film revenue and pretty decent but not spectacular manga sales.

I think unless Gosho firmly puts his put foot down on continuing the franchise or if Conan's popularity takes a nosedive in the near future, I bet they will come up with ways of extending the Conan anime post-manga (especially as I said, the anime is always more popular than the manga).

EDIT: Sorry, to be clear, I guess I was mostly talking about continuity and the comparison to the Lupin III. Rather than a bunch of disconnected irregular stuff like Lupin III, I expect the Conan anime to just shrug off the manga ending and carry on as usual somehow. And the Conan film franchise is in a very different scenario from Lupin's, since Lupin's been stuck on the TV screen whereas Conan is a box office juggernaut (so there's a very strong incentive for the movie investors in maintaining a continuous Conan anime to sustain the Conan movie sales).
Gamma

Post by Gamma »

I really hope they'll decide to remake some of the classic cases such as Moonlight Sonata Murder case, Heiji's old cases and any of the other top-tier old cases. I'm pretty sure fans that have been around for so long will appreciate such a thing much more than countless AOs on weekly basis.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

The only issue with remastering those cases is that they can't afford the whole timeslot to air them as a full episode so they'd have to cut it into several parts to air them separately (they did so with remastered Episode 425 on March / April 2016 and that's what dubs have to do) so unless they think it's really worth to turn several weeks into a string of "parts" of a special I don't think they'll do it.

If it's a regular 2-parter then they often remaster and re-air them from time to time, yes.

But viewers also want new, fresh things from time to time so they also have to air AOs, else it'd seem they rely on nostalgia factor too much.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
CrimsonGenius

Post by CrimsonGenius »

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
yoko91 wrote:I want the special volumes. We have 40 volumes of material that could be animated.
Wait, was any special chapter animated before?
They should at least adapt BO special chapters, now or never.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Reminder to not post manga spoilers in the General Discussion board. I'd prefer that the big spoilers won't even be posted here in spoiler tags for the time being.
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

CrimsonGenius wrote:
DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
Wait, was any special chapter animated before?
They should at least adapt BO special chapters, now or never.
Twice.

Episode 86 : http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki ... ation_Case (Special Volume 1: File 2)
Episode 113 : http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki ... urder_Case (Special Volume 1: File 6)
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

Absenta

Post by Absenta »

I expect and I hope that there won´t be more than 1000 episodes...

It would be great to end with a 2 hour special episode 1000 against BO and then have another epilogue-episode 1001.
MeiTanteixX

Post by MeiTanteixX »

Absenta wrote:I expect and I hope that there won´t be more than 1000 episodes...

It would be great to end with a 2 hour special episode 1000 against BO and then have another epilogue-episode 1001.
Impossible.
DC will surpass 1001 episodes.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''
DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gq ... hWaNIRUu0Q
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

With roughly 40 and something eps a year, the anime will reach ep 1000 in 2020, which is also the year in which M25 will be released. For the anime to end then, two things would have to happen:
1) Gosho ends the manga next year.
2) The anime doesn't drag and/or continues after it adapts the manga ending.