What would you rather have: a bad ending or no ending at all?

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.

Bad ending
67%
No ending
33%

Total votes: 15
irishock

What would you rather have: a bad ending or no ending at all?

Postby irishock » July 20th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Bad as in underwhelming.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Dogcopter 8: The World Dog Only Knows

Re: What would you rather have: a bad ending or no ending at all?

Postby kkslider5552000 » July 21st, 2017, 12:48 am

Neither :V

...but tbh, bad ending. The series has been ongoing for nearly my entire life, and I was still in high school when I started watching it. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW IT ENDS PLZ.
Bioshock is considered a masterpiece. Let me attempt to showcase why : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13252

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
xLostChains

Just your average girl who loves to draw random stuff

Postby xLostChains » July 21st, 2017, 2:28 pm

I don't really care whether it'll be good or bad...I just want an ending -__-
DConanSyndicate

Postby DConanSyndicate » July 21st, 2017, 2:43 pm

Define bad ending lol
Bad as in school days bad for anyone who's been traumatized by watching that
Or bad as in no happily ever after?
Nemomon

This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Postby Nemomon » July 21st, 2017, 2:44 pm

Bad ending. Because there is a chance that someone might even like it.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
MeiTanteixX

Postby MeiTanteixX » July 21st, 2017, 2:56 pm

Nemomon wrote:Bad ending. Because there is a chance that someone might even like it.
that's a very compassionate mindset.
DC's Awesome Qoutes:
Spoiler:
Bourbon:''A child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry do have much in common''Image
Vermouth:''A secret makes a woman, woman''
Image Image
Mary/Gin:''It's like encountering a demon in the darkness...''
Akai Shuichi:''Fear of death is worse than death itself''
Shinichi Kudo:''following the smell of blood to arrive upon a crime scene, using every one of your senses to hunt the culprit, then once you've seized hold of him, sinking your sharp teeth(your evidence) until your opponent gives up the ghost, That's a detective''

DeviantArt:http://meitanteixx.deviantart.com/
Tumblr:http://masterdetectivexx.tumblr.com/
Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFL6Gqku3dvoPhWaNIRUu0Q
Nemomon

This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Postby Nemomon » July 21st, 2017, 3:10 pm

MeiTanteixX wrote:
Nemomon wrote:Bad ending. Because there is a chance that someone might even like it.
that's a very compassionate mindset.

Various people like various crap ;). There is a high chance that even here at DCTP for each opening and ending You will find at least one person that likes it ;).
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Swagnarok

Postby Swagnarok » July 21st, 2017, 5:37 pm

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on what a "bad" ending would look like.
暮らす下一つ屋
My fanfic account:
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7291651/Swagnarok
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » July 21st, 2017, 5:45 pm

Swagnarok wrote:Just out of curiosity, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on what a "bad" ending would look like.

Since irishock mentioned "underwhelming," I'd also like to hear not only what constitutes that, but to what degree the underwhelming-ness would have to be for it to be equated with "bad."
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Christcc9

Postby Christcc9 » July 24th, 2017, 7:09 am

The BO breaks off but Conan has failed to find an antidote
or
Conan finds an antidote but the BO hasn't collapsed
or
the BO achieves its main goal
or
Conan dies.

Anything but "Conan is back to Shinichi forever and the BO's been detroyed" is a bad ending to me.
The impression of a woman may be more valuable than the conclusion of an analytical reasoner.
Fear of death is worse than death itself.
TanteiSa

Postby TanteiSa » July 25th, 2017, 3:47 pm

It's funny how most people are so done with DC they won't mind a bad ending! (I'm most people) ::)
Antiyonder

Postby Antiyonder » July 25th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Christcc9 wrote:Anything but "Conan is back to Shinichi forever and the BO's been detroyed" is a bad ending to me.

This, but at the same time, the end result is one generally seen coming, and that wouldn't be bad if the journey to that destination would be willing to take more chances than playing it safe because of the fear that originality will cause a loss of sales.
The Mystery of Conan Edogawa.

Arguably one of the best attempts at tackling the story of "Ran discovering the secret behind Conan". It's strong point is taking a common plot for Detective Conan fan fics and presenting it in a fresh manner such as:
- Touching on things that aren't dealt with in the show or discussed much.
- While there is some understanding towards Conan's predicament, the fic doesn't ignore the problematic approach he takes towards keeping quiet.

So, do yourself a favor and read this. I only wish I could so something half as decent.
irishock

Postby irishock » July 25th, 2017, 6:56 pm

"Underwhelming" in the way that you would define it.

Bad ending for me is actually the most likely ending where Conan reverts back to Shinichi and the entire BO is destroyed and no one from the good guys side is harmed and they all live happily ever after. I think Shinichi, Ran, Heiji, Akai, Kid etc. should have happy endings but one of Haibara, Kogoro, Sera, or Agasa should have something happen to them. They sacrifice themselves for the greater good. IMO it'd be way stronger if Gosho pulled that off, especially when you consider that no recurring character has ever been killed off.
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » July 25th, 2017, 9:52 pm

irishock wrote:Bad ending for me is actually the most likely ending where Conan reverts back to Shinichi and the entire BO is destroyed and no one from the good guys side is harmed and they all live happily ever after.

Bunch o' questions, comin' at ya'!

So it wouldn't matter how well Gosho executed this kind of ending, since, on its face, you find the concept of the "no protagonists die" ending inferior to an ending where a protagonist does die?

Just how bad do you consider "the most likely" ending? If, for you, underwhelming = bad, doesn't that mean, also, underwhelming = piece of crap? In other words, is an underwhelming ending also a downright terrible ending? Has DC just gone on too long, to the point that it, uniquely, must deliver a great (A+) ending, or it will be considered crap (even if the ending is very much above average (B+))?

(Speaking of letter grades, what is the highest possible one you could give "the most likely" ending? Could pure execution, even of an inferior concept, kick it's grade up a notch or two?)
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Antiyonder

Postby Antiyonder » July 26th, 2017, 12:12 am

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:In other words, is an underwhelming ending also a downright terrible ending? Has DC just gone on too long, to the point that it, uniquely, must deliver a great (A+) ending, or it will be considered crap (even if the ending is very much above average (B+))

Can't speak for irishock, but at least make the rest of the journey exciting and look for anything that could be done on the side outside the mysteries or BO plot to keep things from being dull.

And in fairness as much as I complain about some lack of creativity, Gosho has made some good moves before like say the further development of Takagi and Sato's relationship or Conan and Haibara's development with the Detective Boys in regarding them as friends in the long run whereas originally they were merely a means of camouflage for their identities.

Just look for some details or dynamics that can be a means of development whenever there aren't any key subplots going on.
The Mystery of Conan Edogawa.

Arguably one of the best attempts at tackling the story of "Ran discovering the secret behind Conan". It's strong point is taking a common plot for Detective Conan fan fics and presenting it in a fresh manner such as:
- Touching on things that aren't dealt with in the show or discussed much.
- While there is some understanding towards Conan's predicament, the fic doesn't ignore the problematic approach he takes towards keeping quiet.

So, do yourself a favor and read this. I only wish I could so something half as decent.