Quirks that make you cringe

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Dogcopter 8: The World Dog Only Knows

Re: Quirks that make you cringe

Postby kkslider5552000 » December 23rd, 2016, 11:03 pm

Shiromi wrote:
kkslider5552000 wrote:entire Chiba love story

Oh gosh, that one.... she's so creepy! Like psycho-stalker creepy. If he disappears from the story - she's the culprit. She'll have him hogtied in her basement.

No joke, I'm not sure I've ever really thought about that implication. So what you're saying is it's even worse than I thought? Lovely!
Bioshock is considered a masterpiece. Let me attempt to showcase why : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13252

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » December 24th, 2016, 1:26 am

kkslider5552000 wrote:
Shiromi wrote:
kkslider5552000 wrote:entire Chiba love story

Oh gosh, that one.... she's so creepy! Like psycho-stalker creepy. If he disappears from the story - she's the culprit. She'll have him hogtied in her basement.

No joke, I'm not sure I've ever really thought about that implication. So what you're saying is it's even worse than I thought? Lovely!

Eh, that's taking it all a bit far. After all, Gosho's had Jodie call out stalkerish behavior before (File 891–File 893/Episode 779–Episode 780). Of course Naeko's not going to do something like that. Please don't compare her to the actual psychos we've had in DC. But the sooner they actually start a relationship (or, at least, get to the point where he's aware of who she is), the sooner the creeping out can end.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
PhantomWriter

Rye on Discord

Postby PhantomWriter » December 28th, 2016, 8:21 pm

Shiromi wrote:[*]No one knows how to handle evidence properly. Especially Shinichi. Evidence is most useful when it is recorded before it is disturbed. Random wire a 6 year old claims was found in the room during the big suspect reveal? Not exactly compelling evidence. Half the time, I imagine a real investigator would suspect Kogorou of planting evidence in order to frame a suspect, and giving it to the little kid who hangs on his every word to "find."
[*]No one knows how to talk to child witnesses, and they never call in experts in dealing with child witnesses. There's a lot of strict protocols in place for interrogating children, and they're never mentioned or followed in the slightest.[/list]

*Agreed. Essentially, there's a chain regarding evidence handling ("chain of custody"). If the chain gets broken, it calls into question the evidence's veracity, if it's planted or altered or what have you. If it is broken, especially evidence that the case is hinged on, it can get cases thrown out in court. Though Conan tries to emulate fictional detectives, most stories do not include that as part of the mystery...

*Yup. That's why the Satanic Panic in the 1980s in the US was such a mess. Children lack what's called "source monitoring," so they have problems recollecting where a specific piece of information came from. This, unfortunately, makes them susceptible to getting manipulated into believing that something happened when it didn't (such as satanic ritual abuse). How they interview children in-series is terrible.

The other issue that's a pet peeve for me has to do with the mystery of the week thing always holding true, even in the middle of major plot developments. As much as I like mysteries, it is somewhat annoying when there's a random murder or other kind of case that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot-y stuff. All it makes me do is skip through it to get to the plot stuff, because it's two completely unconnected plot threads, one important to the resolution of the series and one where we know how it ends (murderer is caught, yay). It causes problems with tone and focus and makes any given arc muddied.
"Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay." -Sherlock Holmes
k11chi

Postby k11chi » December 28th, 2016, 11:18 pm

PhantomWriter wrote:The other issue that's a pet peeve for me has to do with the mystery of the week thing always holding true, even in the middle of major plot developments. As much as I like mysteries, it is somewhat annoying when there's a random murder or other kind of case that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot-y stuff. All it makes me do is skip through it to get to the plot stuff, because it's two completely unconnected plot threads, one important to the resolution of the series and one where we know how it ends (murderer is caught, yay). It causes problems with tone and focus and makes any given arc muddied.

There's no major plot development without the cases and there is a very specific target audience also...
eros1607

Postby eros1607 » December 29th, 2016, 1:01 am

The problem is that there are so few cases that have plot progression or character development. Before Bourbon arc, it was okay because we can see character development of Haibara and Kir arc was quite short. Bourbon arc was a total hell of waiting for plot and there was so little character development that annoyed readers. Even the cases were not that intriguing compared to previous arc. Luckily Bourbon arc is over and we had a magnificent year so far.
PhantomWriter

Rye on Discord

Postby PhantomWriter » December 29th, 2016, 3:43 pm

k11chi wrote:
PhantomWriter wrote:The other issue that's a pet peeve for me has to do with the mystery of the week thing always holding true, even in the middle of major plot developments. As much as I like mysteries, it is somewhat annoying when there's a random murder or other kind of case that has absolutely nothing to do with the plot-y stuff. All it makes me do is skip through it to get to the plot stuff, because it's two completely unconnected plot threads, one important to the resolution of the series and one where we know how it ends (murderer is caught, yay). It causes problems with tone and focus and makes any given arc muddied.

There's no major plot development without the cases and there is a very specific target audience also...

When the case is more tied to the plot in some way (like the whole incident with Pisco or the Clash of Red and Black), it works a lot better, imo. Compared to something more like the hot mess that was the Mystery Train. (Though there were a lot of problems with that one lol.)
"Data! Data! Data! I cannot make bricks without clay." -Sherlock Holmes
Adel34

Postby Adel34 » February 23rd, 2017, 2:33 am

I always cringe every time a character tries to speak English. With "tries" being the keyword here. But the absolute worst culprits here are characters who are supposed to be native English speakers (Jodie, James, Vermouth come to mind). It's like the voice actors don't even try very hard at this...
Shiromi

Postby Shiromi » February 24th, 2017, 12:08 am

Adel34 wrote:I always cringe every time a character tries to speak English. With "tries" being the keyword here. But the absolute worst culprits here are characters who are supposed to be native English speakers (Jodie, James, Vermouth come to mind). It's like the voice actors don't even try very hard at this...

Oh, give them a break. Japanese pronunciation is really different from English. English has a lot more consonants and vowels, a lot more consonant+vowel combinations, and on top of all that, we can put together crazy long chains of difficult consonants, and we've even got words with no vowels in them at all! For someone who has spoken a language whose most complex syllable structure is CVC, English is really hard to pronounce. So, it doesn't bother me much that the JAPANESE voice actors struggle with English lines.
My DC Fanfic: Awaking and Arising - Shiromi writes her version of the end of the series. With 100% more lesbians and immortal zombie boys. And existential crises. Lots of them.
Kogorou - A character study that seeks to answer the question: Why is Kogorou the way he is?
A Kindred Spirit - Sonoko and Makoto realize that they have more in common than previously realized.
DC Fanfic Rants

Betareading this fanfic: Deception
Serinox

Postby Serinox » February 24th, 2017, 1:00 am

Plus, often times voice directors will ask the voice actors to speak the individual words and lines more slowly, so that the (Japanese) viewer can have an easier time understanding it, which ofc doesn't help in making it less awkward for someone who is fluent in English.
Raspbryl

Postby Raspbryl » February 24th, 2017, 7:09 am

Serinox wrote:Plus, often times voice directors will ask the voice actors to speak the individual words and lines more slowly, so that the (Japanese) viewer can have an easier time understanding it, which ofc doesn't help in making it less awkward for someone who is fluent in English.

Also kind of ruins it when a character that is extensively supposed to be american or British crackles in with what is very tortured English through a very Japanese accent - on the rare occasion one of the actually Japanese characters cant do it - It doesn't bother me nearly as much.

Jodie being a particular porcupine down my shirt every time tries and leaving me scrambling for the mute button trying to drown her out with whatever song I can conjure from my subconscious.

usually 'take it on the run' which seems to be my goto ever since someone tried to make me watch the first season of jojos.
"Oh goddammit Rasp" - Anon

Adel34

Postby Adel34 » March 4th, 2017, 6:30 am

Shiromi wrote:Oh, give them a break. Japanese pronunciation is really different from English. English has a lot more consonants and vowels, a lot more consonant+vowel combinations, and on top of all that, we can put together crazy long chains of difficult consonants, and we've even got words with no vowels in them at all! For someone who has spoken a language whose most complex syllable structure is CVC, English is really hard to pronounce. So, it doesn't bother me much that the JAPANESE voice actors struggle with English lines.

Of course I know that it's difficult. However, we're not speaking about an average person, we're talking about voice actors who get paid for speaking English (and speaking in general). I wish they studied the lines they're about to speak with a phonetic script. Plus, it's just a few lines, it's not like they'd have to speak English for the whole episode.

Another strange thing is why for example Jodie and James don't speak English among themselves. It's their native tongue, and they don't even say a word.

Oh, speaking of moments that made me cringe, the "policeman-poriceman" case comes to mind. I mean... WTF, Jodie...
Tantei San

It's Complicated... It was...It is..And Will remain that way....!!

Postby Tantei San » March 4th, 2017, 7:38 am

Adel34 wrote:
Shiromi wrote:Oh, give them a break. Japanese pronunciation is really different from English. English has a lot more consonants and vowels, a lot more consonant+vowel combinations, and on top of all that, we can put together crazy long chains of difficult consonants, and we've even got words with no vowels in them at all! For someone who has spoken a language whose most complex syllable structure is CVC, English is really hard to pronounce. So, it doesn't bother me much that the JAPANESE voice actors struggle with English lines.

Of course I know that it's difficult. However, we're not speaking about an average person, we're talking about voice actors who get paid for speaking English (and speaking in general). I wish they studied the lines they're about to speak with a phonetic script. Plus, it's just a few lines, it's not like they'd have to speak English for the whole episode.

Another strange thing is why for example Jodie and James don't speak English among themselves. It's their native tongue, and they don't even say a word.

Oh, speaking of moments that made me cringe, the "policeman-poriceman" case comes to mind. I mean... WTF, Jodie...

I understand, but the target audience is Japanese, the show is Japanese, it would make less sense and more work with adding subtitles and other stuff plus not all people watching anime know English, do they?