Detective Conan Movie 20: "The Darkest Nightmare" (2016)

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
Hattochi

Re: Detective Conan Movie 20: "The Darkest Nightmare" (2016)

Postby Hattochi » April 14th, 2017, 3:46 pm

i never watch the film, is it nice?
Spimer

Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Postby Spimer » April 14th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Well, if you ignore the "problems" and just try to enjoy it then I think you'll enjoy it.

You're free to decide if you want to watch it or not.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Hattochi

Postby Hattochi » April 14th, 2017, 6:57 pm

Ok, i will watch it.
Nemomon

This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Postby Nemomon » April 15th, 2017, 2:40 am

I watched it, and enjoyed it. But the reason for that might be that I watch anime to relax, and not to think what the screenwriters screwed, or why given scenes are pointless or stupid.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
PhantomWriter

Postby PhantomWriter » April 18th, 2017, 8:25 pm

This film really wasn't my cup of tea. The DC films have always been very hit or miss for me, even if I liked the other Org. and main-plot-character films (Raven Chaser, Countdown to Heaven, Dimensional Sniper). But I couldn't really suspend my disbelief for Darkest Nightmare. Shuichi showing up out of disguise for the whole film like he was absolutely baffled me, given the major plot point involving Kir's cover being in question. This is where Dimensional Sniper got things right, since Subaru is consistently staying in the background and the only two people who know he's the other sniper at the end already know who he really is (James and Conan).

The two things I could give it is that the choreography for specific scenes (opening car chase, fight on the top of the ferris wheel) are quite interesting to look at and well-executed from a technical standpoint, and a bit with how Conan's more on the periphery to several of the events, since it makes since that he wouldn't be involved in those events.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." -Sherlock Holmes
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » April 18th, 2017, 9:17 pm

PhantomWriter wrote:Shuichi showing up out of disguise for the whole film like he was absolutely baffled me, given the major plot point involving Kir's cover being in question.

This is where Dimensional Sniper got things right, since Subaru is consistently staying in the background...

So was the problem Shuichi simply being there (and in such a non-background fashion, so often), or was it the fact that he wasn't in disguise as Subaru?
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Dogcopter 8: The World Dog Only Knows

Postby kkslider5552000 » April 20th, 2017, 2:26 am

PhantomWriter wrote:This is where Dimensional Sniper got things right

This is the most valid complaint for this movie tbh. That statement sums up every point against this movie. Because they can actually make a good movie that ISN'T stupid. I hope someday they just combine Movies 18 and 20 and make some insane masterpiece.

Even if I liked the BO movies better, objectively Dimensional Sniper is the best post-Movie 6 movie. Probably by a decent margin. It is maybe the only one that I would recommend to someone who doesn't already watch the Detective Conan movies.

It is kinda sad and impressive that they made 6 great movies in a row (even if I'm not super into Movie 5) and like...1/4 of the ones afterwards are even close to as good.
Bioshock is considered a masterpiece. Let me attempt to showcase why : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13252

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » April 20th, 2017, 6:27 pm

kkslider5552000 wrote:It is kinda sad and impressive that they made 6 great movies in a row (even if I'm not super into Movie 5) and like...1/4 of the ones afterwards are even close to as good.

So if 18 is one of them, which of the other ones are good, but not stupid?
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
Hattochi

Postby Hattochi » April 21st, 2017, 3:27 am

I hate this film, what a wast of time! I just watch a lot of violence a lot of action a lot of spy and many characters but i don't found the serie here: the real thinking without all this american action. And the hero is finally a suspect women.
And they imagine with colors effects they can create a success for this film? Irony.
Oh and i hate the sniper shuichi-truc. Oh yeah, the beautiful hero with green eyes xD He is the key of all problems...God what the hell to put this character in every thing i watch?
Very boring as hell. Deception.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Dogcopter 8: The World Dog Only Knows

Postby kkslider5552000 » April 21st, 2017, 3:46 am

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:
kkslider5552000 wrote:It is kinda sad and impressive that they made 6 great movies in a row (even if I'm not super into Movie 5) and like...1/4 of the ones afterwards are even close to as good.

So if 18 is one of them, which of the other ones are good, but not stupid?

9, 15 and 17 (never saw most of 7, so I can't judge it)

I'd replace 15 with 12 if I didn't find 12 to be too dull for so much of it. Granted, maybe they were dumb and I didn't remember but they had to have been less dumb I'm sure.
Bioshock is considered a masterpiece. Let me attempt to showcase why : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13252

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
PhantomWriter

Postby PhantomWriter » April 24th, 2017, 8:03 pm

PhantomWriter wrote:Shuichi showing up out of disguise for the whole film like he was absolutely baffled me, given the major plot point involving Kir's cover being in question.

This is where Dimensional Sniper got things right, since Subaru is consistently staying in the background...

So was the problem Shuichi simply being there (and in such a non-background fashion, so often), or was it the fact that he wasn't in disguise as Subaru?

Both, in a way. He was there out of disguise, acting so openly, when the whole point of him being in disguise and his avoiding the spotlight is because of Kir's cover relying on his death. If the Org. sees him, they will just kill her, since she would clearly be a mole and helped him fake his death. The Red Shirt case made that quite clear. Amuro confirming Akai's death would also raise some pretty serious questions about his cover as well, especially since the other two agents he worked with a while back (Rye and Scotch) were both moles.

The Org. would also probably be keen on investigating where Shuichi had stayed hidden for a decent chunk of time, to look for other allies. The FBI and his sister didn't know where he was or what was going on with him.

I was also somewhat confused about the NOC list. The fact that Amuro and Akai fight, so this is clearly after the Scarlet Series and Amuro has confirmation of Shuichi being alive. However, Shuichi's data is in the NOC list, as if he's still alive. Did someone in the PSB put his data in there afterward? Why?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." -Sherlock Holmes
DCUniverseAficionado

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » April 25th, 2017, 7:21 am

PhantomWriter wrote:I was also somewhat confused about the NOC list. The fact that Amuro and Akai fight, so this is clearly after the Scarlet Series and Amuro has confirmation of Shuichi being alive. However, Shuichi's data is in the NOC list, as if he's still alive. Did someone in the PSB put his data in there afterward? Why?

They could've put in there 2 years before DC began (File 1/Episode 1), when Shuichi/Dai was outed as a NOC.

If they put in data recently, after Scarlet Showdown, it would have to be data about Hidemi/Rena/Kir—so the question is, why'd they input data about her? That's more likely to out Shuichi as still alive than data about him being a NOC (and that's knowledge that's been out there, available to all the major players for 2 years)—and not only that, but such data is a guarantee of outing Hidemi/Rena/Kir as a NOC.
PhantomWriter

Postby PhantomWriter » May 1st, 2017, 9:14 pm

PhantomWriter wrote:I was also somewhat confused about the NOC list. The fact that Amuro and Akai fight, so this is clearly after the Scarlet Series and Amuro has confirmation of Shuichi being alive. However, Shuichi's data is in the NOC list, as if he's still alive. Did someone in the PSB put his data in there afterward? Why?

They could've put in there 2 years before DC began (File 1/Episode 1), when Shuichi/Dai was outed as a NOC.

If they put in data recently, after Scarlet Showdown, it would have to be data about Hidemi/Rena/Kir—so the question is, why'd they input data about her? That's more likely to out Shuichi as still alive than data about him being a NOC (and that's knowledge that's been out there, available to all the major players for 2 years)—and not only that, but such data is a guarantee of outing Hidemi/Rena/Kir as a NOC.

I suppose my issue with Shuichi's data being in there was that it was like it was a big deal. It was like he was listed as alive again, with how Shuichi also openly hunts after Curacao over that information and how her perspective is shown in the opening scenes. Which also puts Kir's life in danger, due to the fake death trick.

While I understand Amuro being in their system, since he's one of the agency's members and he is apparently in command of multiple underlings in the PSB both in the Scarlet Series and in the film, it was a bit odd about his listing with Hidemi and Shuichi. Was it categorized by who they were hunting? (And given the hush-hush involved with hunting the Organization, that raises its own questions, why they'd keep them on the same list. One system compromise with dealing with the organization who's got heavy ties to computer programming means a lot of people could die.)

And that's really a big question about Kir, to be honest. The whole issue with the Kir arc was that the FBI really thought she was Organization and almost nobody should know she's not Organization. However, since everyone in the Organization is paranoid, there was the whole test to make sure she wasn't a plant by killing Shuichi. The current list of characters who know her affiliation in-story is as follows: Shuichi, James, Eisuke, Jodie, Camel, Amuro, and Conan. Amuro may not have been told directly, but him having confirmation about Shuichi being alive would make it clear to him that Hidemi was in on everything. (He's not stupid.) However, if I remember correctly, she's got her agency affiliation listed as CIA in the film NOC list, so that raises questions of how the PSB got that information, since even the FBI had issues with getting confirmation in the manga.

And the reason for my annoyance with the Darkest Nightmare has to do with basic flaws of premise juxtaposed with the marketing and intended tone. When anything bills itself as being more serious, if it cannot get basic things right about the setting (or what it's based on in adaptation), it throws me out of the story badly. I end up being more nitpicky than if it didn't take itself so seriously. Same reason I'm so nitpicky at the glut of crappy dystopia stories spawned from the popularity of the Hunger Games, since dystopia's an inherently serious subgenre. ;)
k11chi

Postby k11chi » May 1st, 2017, 11:40 pm

All of those can be explained easily just as well. Kir could just try to run away and change her identity, she has Akai's number. You're overthinking things, getting stuck on every little point...
Trailers and marketing only exist to sell the movie.
Haibara & Aika ryona

Postby Haibara & Aika ryona » May 2nd, 2017, 5:08 am

Hattochi wrote:I hate this film, what a wast of time! I just watch a lot of violence a lot of action a lot of spy and many characters but i don't found the serie here: the real thinking without all this american action. And the hero is finally a suspect women.
And they imagine with colors effects they can create a success for this film? Irony.
Oh and i hate the sniper shuichi-truc. Oh yeah, the beautiful hero with green eyes xD He is the key of all problems...God what the hell to put this character in every thing i watch?
Very boring as hell. Deception.

I told you mister that this movie is so so so so so awful, and I remember when you asked about the movie; because you didn't see it, and now after seeing it, you also become hate this film. I don't know what the point from this movie.

Is this movie wants us to scare from the "The Goast Rum", or to the most awful character in the anime "Bourbon", or to the stupid people such as "Gin", who always been fooled by one single stupid idea, or the stupid number Vermouth, or to see the fight that made me anger. I really do not know the point from movie.

Oh, and now the time for The story of Zero, even the name zero should have story, what the awful thing. Oh, right, why sera didn't appear in this movie. Maybe in the 22 movie, her, and her mother will appear.

Return to “General Discussion”