Conan & Kindaichi DS Game Discussion (Use Spoiler Boxes)

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
EternalHeavens

Re: Conan & Kindaichi DS Game Discussion (Use Spoiler Boxes)

Post by EternalHeavens »

KouriKrysis wrote:I am on chapter 6 and was wondering:
Spoiler: Chapter 6 Spoilers
have anyone figure out the clock riddle?
Is it...
Spoiler: Chapter 6 spoilers
the riddle to find the hidden room?
If yes, then I have.
KouriKrysis

Post by KouriKrysis »

EternalHeavens wrote:
Is it...
If yes, then I have.
what is the time?
I am stuck
Max1996

Post by Max1996 »

KouriKrysis wrote:
EternalHeavens wrote:
Is it...
If yes, then I have.
what is the time?
I am stuck
I have solved it as well.
Spoiler:
The fourth behind the number representing the Jack (the lowest face) is 7. The third east of the queen is 3. Thus, it should be 7:15.
MrDetective
Irregular Scans staff

Post by MrDetective »

Jecka wrote:
MrDetective wrote:I...I'm going mad...

(Chapter 1 spoiler):
Spoiler:
It's taking me forrever to try and write a "K", it always mistakes it for a Z, now I'm stuck"
EDIT: okay, now it's been an hour I've been trying the same thing
Spoiler:
Try writing it differently? How have you been writing it?

I managed to finaly get through it, but now
Spoiler:
I can't write a "5", it gives me either "0" or "9"...

and I don't even know if 5 is the right answer
KouriKrysis

Post by KouriKrysis »

Max1996 wrote:
KouriKrysis wrote:
EternalHeavens wrote:
Is it...
If yes, then I have.
what is the time?
I am stuck
I have solved it as well.
Spoiler: .
The fourth behind the number representing the Jack (the lowest face) is 7. The third east of the queen is 3. Thus, it should be 7:15.
That why I could not figure it out.
I was not thinking in terms of cards since I do not play cards, I was thinking in terms of the actual clock itself.
Thank you detective Max.
KouriKrysis

Post by KouriKrysis »

MrDetective wrote:
Jecka wrote:
MrDetective wrote:I...I'm going mad...

(Chapter 1 spoiler):
Spoiler:
It's taking me forrever to try and write a "K", it always mistakes it for a Z, now I'm stuck"
EDIT: okay, now it's been an hour I've been trying the same thing
Spoiler:
Try writing it differently? How have you been writing it?

I managed to finaly get through it, but now
Spoiler:
I can't write a "5", it gives me either "0" or "9"...

and I don't even know if 5 is the right answer
Where are you at again?
Max1996

Post by Max1996 »

Spoiler: Chapter 7
For those in the factory part of Chapter 7, here's something that came to my mind regarding the murder of The police officer and The true identity of the mayor.

Would a non-smoker carry a lighter with him?

EDIT: My hunch was correct!
[mod edit - put the whole post in spoiler]
Last edited by Max1996 on July 2nd, 2015, 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrDetective
Irregular Scans staff

Post by MrDetective »

@ Kouri
Spoiler:
the chapter where a little girl gives Kindaichi a riddle to solve
EternalHeavens

Post by EternalHeavens »

MrDetective wrote:@ Kouri
Spoiler:
the chapter where a little girl gives Kindaichi a riddle to solve
The answer is indeed
Spoiler:
5. And if you want to write a five, write it without the horizontal line first.
Thriefty

Post by Thriefty »

To: EternalHeavens - After 20 hours and 10 minutes, I completed it! As to anything after both halves, I think it's only the Epilogue left, though you should have seen it after completing any half.

Some thoughts below. Spoilered for those who haven't reached these chapters!

Chapter 6 - Kindaichi Chapter
Spoiler:
I finally cleared the riddle when I remembered what face cards were. I kept thinking lowest face meant lowest number - Oops.

And then, we have the one case whereby we don't catch the culprit! I expected it though. I mean, the culprit has the mansion surrounded by 'rioting' miners. And has the ability to control them. I knew things would turn sour when I realised who the culprit was.

I never expected the whole 'get locked with a bomb' thing though. The suspense of seeing Kindaichi trapped with a bomb made me go and do Kindaichi's side of Chapter 7 first.

Chapter 7
I've played both halves. And I personally like Kindaichi's side more. The resolution is far more satisfying. I'll first talk about the Conan side though.

Conan side
Spoiler:
The Conan side starts alot tamer compared to the Kindaichi side. We start at Conan receiving a letter meant for Kogorou, telling Kogorou to meet the sender at the Lighthouse. We never go there, since we find out who the sender is and realise that he's been directed to a different place. Long story short, Conan ends up sneaking onto a boat that brings him to the island where Kindaichi's on. He miraculously reaches the port at the same time that Kindaichi happens to walk by. I don't like this coincidence - the Kindaichi portion has the two arrange for the boat, making the meeting more realistic. They eventually go to the mine factory as they follow a 'mysterious group of people' there. There, we have our mystery.

Out of all the mysteries in the game, the Chapter 7 mid-mysteries are the ones I don't like the most. I don't like both, due to the hurried nature of it (understandable in-story considering the circumstances) and the proof used to corner the culprit. I was really confused as to how the murder was carried out at the beginning - My initial idea was that the room was full of coal powder that ignited when the lighter was lit, but it was proven wrong very quickly. A bomb in a flashlight - really? Why are there no scraps of it left, considering that the victim's hand wasn't completely destroyed? I appreciated the trick used to cut the power though - it's a standard in mysteries. It did take me a while to understand the significance of the cigarette carton though. I don't really like the smoker thing though - it felt like it was thrown in at the last minute. Also, the M thing. I kept thinking that it referred to the mayor and wasn't a misdirection to Mitsui...

Things happen after the murder and Conan ends up going to the Manor to grab a certain brooch. Why couldn't Kindaichi stuff it in his pocket and save us the trip? Oh yeah, we needed the extra meeting with Mr. Mad Bomber to get the hint about the twin islands. I do like this twist to everything - it makes a lot of sense. Kudos to the writers! It makes it understandable why the two islands are so similar.

We finally have our confrontation at the hidden harbour, where you see how... pitiful Asami is. It's really obvious that he's been broken since a long time ago. He's kinda like the Mayor - both have lost sight of rationality. The picture of Conan extending his hand over to Asami is one of my favourites. He may be a murderer, but Conan won't let him die. It gives me Moonlight Sonanta vibes... Then, they leave the island, then EPILOGUE.

Kindaichi side
Spoiler:
We start with learning that Kindaichi survived the bombing and also managed to save Miyu as well. Awesome work! Kindaichi gets info from one of the miners about the secret of the island and also figures out where Inspector Kenmochi and the Detective Boys are. After meeting up and ensuring they are fine, Kindaichi chases after Hioki and watches him leave using a prepared boat. Kindaichi then uses the Detective Badge to call the 'caller' to send a boat over to pick them up. Later, at the port, he meet Conan for the first time (this makes so much more sense that the coincidental meeting), and notices that the boy is a little strange. Superintendent Akechi apparently piloted the boat[I was partially hoping for a 'learnt in Hawaii' line... Akechi squashed my hopes]. They head back to the touristy Twilight Island. {If you haven't noticed, different plots for the two parts}

When they return, there's the reunion of Kindaichi and Miyuki. Cue adorableness.

Later, they learn that people are invited to Hotel Rohage by Hioki. I didn't like the sudden introduction of random new characters - I actually wanted more of the old characters/suspects to be in this murder mystery. Sadly, the creators of the story apparently only introduced Mayor Hioki now. [My personal theory was Shigure was Mayor Hioki - proven wrong] There is a murder in this hotel and the trick involved dominant hands. The left-handed or right-handed thing. At first, I didn't like the trick as there was the possibility that others would also die due to the poison if someone just used a different hand, but when you realise that the culprit didn't really mind extra deaths, it made sense. Now my issue is that I have no idea when the culprit had the time to apply the poison...

Throughout the investigation, notice all the times Kindaichi helps Conan to get out of sticky situations... You know he suspects something is off, which is wonderful~ [Yes, Conan needs more allies]

When the culprit is revealed, who is also Mayor Hioki, Hioki Ryuuhei appears! He's the son of Mayor Hioki, that's why they have the same surname! I didn't notice until he pointed it out... He kidnaps his dad and drags him to the Hidden harbour.

At this point, Conan heads off to chase Asami, who has gone to the other island. Leaving Kindaichi alone for the final showdown with Hioki. Except that Conan calls using the transmitter once more to discuss case details. At the end of the discussion, Kindaichi reveals that he figured out that it was Conan helping him the whole time! WONDERFUL! THIS SHOULD OCCUR MORE OFTEN!

After the relevation, Kindaichi heads to the hidden harbour. You are given a scene whereby Hioki sinks a ship with the gold as funeral fireworks - a very sentimental act for a guy who's been our greatest enemy for Kindaichi's half of the game. Hioki's backstory is revealed, and you realise that he's been obsessed with revenge for the past 25 years. He's a really sad character that doesn't understand that a small part of him wants to stop. It takes Kindaichi, Miyu and the late Misa to convince him to drop his revenge plan. At the end, you can tell that the bastard that been making Kindaichi's life difficult actually feels a kinship with the detective... He basically ends with saying "I wish you were here 25 years ago". :(

EPILOGUE CHAPPIE
Spoiler:
The 2 epilogues are very similar. I think the best parts were the meeting with the respective main culprit and the talk before the final photo. Kindaichi basically figures out who Conan is! Except he thinks that it's impossible for someone to shrink, so thinks he's mistaken. He's nice enough not to enquire too much, which is good news for Conan. Makes me wonder if they make a sequel, will Kindaichi knowing about Conan be a canon fact? That would be cool...
I still have a few evidences missing, so I'll probably be spending some time replaying chapters for them. I'm also fairly sure that I've only seen 1 out of the 3 easter eggs...
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Spoiler: Chapter 6
That's the only riddle in the game which I didn't figure out successfully. I managed to get half of it right, but for the other number, I just started trying all the combinations until I got it right. At the end when I reached the right answer, I had the "aha, so that's how I should have interpreted it" moment. I just interpreted it in several different (incorrect) ways. It's been a while since I played it so I don't exactly remember which was the confusing part for me.
EternalHeavens

Post by EternalHeavens »

@Thriefty
I was just hoping there'd be something extra after completing the game, including epilogue, and I thought maybe I was too dumb to figure it out... xD
Kind of disappointed now. I wish they'd made the game a little longer so that it actually had more hours of gameplay.

I finished the game within 16 hours, but I missed a couple of keywords so I'm replaying some of the chapters.
Spoiler:
Was K** and A** one of the omakes? I couldn't stop smiling at that xD
And I can't seem to find the other omakes.

Conan's half kind of annoyed me a little since Ran and Mouri (moreso Mouri) kept getting in his way (but of course, he didn't listen to them anyway). Wish he hadn't been so cautious of Akechi though :3 And I thought Akechi was one of the best characters, even though he was a side character xD

Sasayama's death kind of crushed me a little :'( When Conan said he had a ominous feeling once Sasayama left, I felt the same thing and thought immediately that Sasayama would get killed. And what do you know... He died... *sighs*

I'm happy that the two halves of chapter 7 were different. I thought it's be exactly the same thing, except a little more in Conan's perspective.

Hehe, I kind of figured that Kindaichi would figure out that he's been conversing with Conan since Kindaichi was quick to defend Conan and kept him around after they met in person.

I did like Hioki's and Kindaichi's interaction. Hioki was kind of growing on me as well. Also Conan holding out his hand to Asami was really sweet.
@Kor
Spoiler:
I'm glad for the fact that they mentioned playing cards before letting you solve the riddle, otherwise, I probably would have taken longer than I did to figure it out. Initially I thought the 'lowest face' was the bottom most number on the clock '6' but then I remembered that only three playing cards actually had faces on them; which was the King, Queen and Jack thus solving the riddle.
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

EternalHeavens wrote: @Kor
Spoiler:
I'm glad for the fact that they mentioned playing cards before letting you solve the riddle, otherwise, I probably would have taken longer than I did to figure it out. Initially I thought the 'lowest face' was the bottom most number on the clock '6' but then I remembered that only three playing cards actually had faces on them; which was the King, Queen and Jack thus solving the riddle.
Spoiler:
Right, the 6 was one of my attempted interpretations. My unfamiliarity with card terms is what caused me troubles I'd say.
EternalHeavens

Post by EternalHeavens »

Kor wrote:
EternalHeavens wrote: @Kor
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Right, the 6 was one of my attempted interpretations. My unfamiliarity with card terms is what caused me troubles I'd say.
Spoiler:
I was lucky, since my siblings play cards a lot, and I watch them when they play. :) At least it was a riddle where you could go for trial and error if you figured the part about the dagger.
Max1996

Post by Max1996 »

To: Thriefty and EternalHeavens
Did either of you get 100% of the keywords? Because my time is 14H 24M with 86%. (Before starting Kindaichi's half of Chapter 7)