Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread (Latest Subbed Episode: 863)

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
rfsuki

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread (Latest Subbed Episode: 836)

Postby rfsuki » October 24th, 2016, 1:16 pm

To be honest I am very disappointed with the art quality of the anime series in recent years :(. It keeps going downhill. I understand that for a long running Anime series like Conan, high quality art would cost a lot. I had hoped that they could at least keep the quality art high enough for important episodes that were adapted from the manga. But I've just watched episode 836 and 837 and I couldn't believe they drew Akai, Sera and Scotch like that. I know that we cannot compare the art of the manga and the anime (not only Detective Conan) but the difference in quality is just far so much that it's hard to withstand.
I love the seiyuus so much that it's hard to see their characters get animated like that. Until the art get any better, maybe I will have to rip the audios from the episodes and listening to them as Drama CDs while reading the manga.
k11chi

Postby k11chi » October 24th, 2016, 1:28 pm

They rarely care about which episode gets better budget. The two 1-hour episode AOs about ebizo puppets last new year's had nice quality, and kawanakajima and the 10 episodes after that weren't bad when I watched it in row.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Dogcopter 8: The World Dog Only Knows

Postby kkslider5552000 » October 24th, 2016, 5:44 pm

This is what happens when you decide to make 40+ animated 22 minute episodes every year.
Bioshock is considered a masterpiece. Let me attempt to showcase why : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13252

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
DCUniverseAficionado

Life can be so many things... what it is for me and for you is up to us to decide.

Postby DCUniverseAficionado » October 25th, 2016, 3:09 am

rfsuki wrote:To be honest I am very disappointed with the art quality of the anime series in recent years :(. It keeps going downhill.

And when was it last not going downhill?

Is it just this current style (2008–present in anime, 2003–present in the movies)?

Would you like to see a return of, say, the 2003–2008 style (Episode 333–Episode 504)? The 1996–1998 style (Episode 1–Episode 118)? The 1998–2001 style (Episode 119–Episode 252)? The 2001–2003 style (Episode 253–Episode 332)?

It's strange—you'd expect them to have changed the style, by now, considering how much less time it took them to change styles, before. Yet, we've had this current style for 8 years (and with two directors, each with 4 year runs). I wonder when they're gonna change it, again.
“Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence. If we could fly out of that window hand in hand, hover over this great city, gently remove the roofs, and and peep in at the queer things which are going on, the strange coincidences, the plannings, the cross-purposes, the wonderful chains of events, working through generations, and leading to the most outre results, it would make all fiction with its conventionalities and foreseen conclusions most stale and unprofitable.”
“Education never ends... it is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and His Last Bow
"I have decided to stick to love... hate is too great a burden to bear."
— Martin Luther King Jr. (A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr)
eros1607

Postby eros1607 » October 25th, 2016, 4:12 am

kkslider5552000 wrote:This is what happens when you decide to make 40+ animated 22 minute episodes every year.

How about One Piece and Naruto? I suppose one episode of One Piece and Naruto takes much more money than a DC episodes. Even a fight lasted for 1-2 minute require more money than an entire episode of DC. And yet One Piece not suffer as much as DC, Naruto keeps growing in art quality, especially canon episodes. DC is mostly a slice-of-life type anime, why is the art quality like that? The girl band case has some frames very off to me in which the characters are very strange. I also want to discuss about the openings/endings of DC which are mediocre at best but it seemed off-topic.
rfsuki

Postby rfsuki » October 25th, 2016, 8:04 am

DCUniverseAficionado wrote:And when was it last not going downhill?

Is it just this current style (2008–present in anime, 2003–present in the movies)?

Would you like to see a return of, say, the 2003–2008 style (Episode 333–Episode 504)? The 1996–1998 style (Episode 1–Episode 118)? The 1998–2001 style (Episode 119–Episode 252)? The 2001–2003 style (Episode 253–Episode 332)?

It's strange—you'd expect them to have changed the style, by now, considering how much less time it took them to change styles, before. Yet, we've had this current style for 8 years (and with two directors, each with 4 year runs). I wonder when they're gonna change it, again.

All the movies seems OK to me. What I mean is the anime series. And I'm referring to the art quality, not the art style. Each art style has its own pluses and minuses. Though I like the 2003-2008 art style, I have nothing against the 2008-current one because it looks much closer to Gosho's current art style in the manga, but that's only when the characters are drawn carefully.

By saying "in recent years" I didn't refer to the exact 2008-present period with the new art style. I just wanted to express my feeling that there are more and more episodes with really bad art quality recently. Especially the latest 2 episodes with the Girl Band case really got on my nerves.

I don't expect them to change the current art style. I just expect the animators to improve the quality of at least some canon episodes that features the appearance of important characters (Plz forgive me if I'm using the wrong words/terms cos I'm not a native English speaker). As @k11chi stated above, some episodes looked very promising (like the AOs about ebizo puppets or the kawanakajima and the 10 episodes after that) but then the art quality just kept going downhill in later episodes. Even in one year or just one anime season, the art quality for the episodes really fluctuates and isn't stable at all.

What saddens me the most is that the background (scenery,etc. ) has become more beautiful but the characters' faces and bodies are being drawn more and more carelessly.

If only Detective Conan's drawings could be as good as Magic Kaito 1412's, but Magic Kaito 1412 was done by another studio. TMS has animated the whole DC series since the beginning so it can't be helped.

@ to our mods: Since this is the Anime Discussion Thread I think the art quality is also a matter for discussion. I'm sorry if all these art quality things are considered to be off-topic. This will be my last post about this matter in this thread.
Last edited by rfsuki on October 25th, 2016, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
k11chi

Postby k11chi » October 25th, 2016, 11:09 am

eros1607 wrote:
kkslider5552000 wrote:This is what happens when you decide to make 40+ animated 22 minute episodes every year.

How about One Piece and Naruto? I suppose one episode of One Piece and Naruto takes much more money than a DC episodes. Even a fight lasted for 1-2 minute require more money than an entire episode of DC. And yet One Piece not suffer as much as DC, Naruto keeps growing in art quality, especially canon episodes. DC is mostly a slice-of-life type anime, why is the art quality like that? The girl band case has some frames very off to me in which the characters are very strange. I also want to discuss about the openings/endings of DC which are mediocre at best but it seemed off-topic.

Naruto (and Bleach and probably other Pierrot fighting shounen series) has like atleast 5 groups working on it (why the character art is constantly changing) and One Piece has 15 minute episodes (less to animate weekly). Also they have to look good in order to promote fighting games, WSJ fighters etc. especially during the big moments like a big rasengan or gear 4 in order to promote the next movie's/game's skins and modes.
eros1607

Postby eros1607 » October 25th, 2016, 12:08 pm

To be honest, I never wanted DC is taken by TMS. They are never outstanding in animation quality. This season, they have several animes like Relife, Trickster and D.Gray Man Hallow and the art quality is mediocre at best for all. Relife's protagonist is not like in the manga at all. Trickster has forgettable character design. D.Gray Man Hallow suffered the most with average animation and awful voice acting. If DC was taken by Sunrise, Pierrot, Dean or Madhouse (not Toei, they ruined World Trigger and are ruining One Piece), the animation of DC is much better.
k11chi

Postby k11chi » October 25th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Pierrot did Tantei Gakuen Q which has worse quality than DC had in its time so I wouldn't count on that. Madhouse and Sunrise probably wouldn't have animated it past 100s from getting constantly caught up.
eros1607

Postby eros1607 » October 25th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Tantei Gakuen Q is never popular like DC so it's likely that the former did not receive attention like Naruto, Yu Yu Hasuko or Hikaru No Go, which DC is more or less on par. Given DC manga is still popular in Japan, Sunrise can do it in seasons like they do with InuYasha and Gintama. Madhouse is less likely to do DC like they do HxH or Death Note but who knows, if DC brings money for them.
Wakarimashita

Postby Wakarimashita » October 25th, 2016, 3:21 pm

Guys, perhaps the best animators are working on the Episode One special. I remember during the months leading up to the Lupin special in early 2009 we already had people who were surprised at the mediocrity of the art.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

k11chi

Postby k11chi » October 25th, 2016, 3:23 pm

eros1607 wrote:Tantei Gakuen Q is never popular like DC so it's likely that the former did not receive attention like Naruto, Yu Yu Hasuko or Hikaru No Go, which DC is more or less on par. Given DC manga is still popular in Japan, Sunrise can do it in seasons like they do with InuYasha and Gintama. Madhouse is less likely to do DC like they do HxH or Death Note but who knows, if DC brings money for them.

That would only take into account if DC started later. DC started long before Sunrise even thought of adapting Gintama. Madhouse is never going to adapt HxH again and HxH was re-adapted from an adaptation that Sunrise did before (which had filler), so the HxH project was dropped by Sunrise too after Greed Island.
Anyway all studios have pros and cons and waka may be right also.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Postby kkslider5552000 » October 25th, 2016, 8:14 pm

eros1607 wrote:

How about One Piece and Naruto? I suppose one episode of One Piece and Naruto takes much more money than a DC episodes. Even a fight lasted for 1-2 minute require more money than an entire episode of DC. And yet One Piece not suffer as much as DC, Naruto keeps growing in art quality, especially canon episodes. DC is mostly a slice-of-life type anime, why is the art quality like that? The girl band case has some frames very off to me in which the characters are very strange..

You're assuming that A. One Piece and especially Naruto haven't had some notably bad looking episodes and B. That Naruto or One Piece has a lot of animation on average.

Now, maybe DC is worse than these series in this regard, I can't say for certain even as a fan of all 3. But when you compare any of these 3 series to a shorter, well animated anime (for example, anything Studio BONES has done), the gap in quality is really small by comparison.
Bioshock is considered a masterpiece. Let me attempt to showcase why : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13252

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Postby kkslider5552000 » October 27th, 2016, 12:09 am

Episode 836: The Unfriendly Girls Band (Part 1)

-I'm hoping the movie Sonoko watched was the K-on! movie :V

-Also, this happens in every other anime with high school girls in the past decade. I'm almost shocked it took Gosho so long to do this. :p

-*checks Google to remind myself who played drums in K-on* ....OMG I WAS RIGHT!!!! YESSSSSSS

-Ok, Gosho, if you want to say you're referencing K-on, just say you're referencing K-on

-This is very odd the more I think about it. It would be like if Lupin the Third referenced Free! Not sure these two things go together, no matter how loosely.

-How much of a failed musician do you have to be to have fun humiliating a teenage girl?

-Guitar playing Amuro needs to be a recurring thing. I DEMAND IT. ESPECIALLY WITH OTHER BO MEMBERS AROUND.

-Sera's smug look on the guitar made me laugh

-Oh joy, a soon to be dead asshole here to ruin all fun :/

-oh...well...I was entirely wrong...well ok then

-I wish selfie stick was an English specific phrase, so I could hear Megure's voice actor try to say "Selfie Stick" in English. This would've made my day.

-I understand that it makes sense and all, but I don't need to ever watch Megure recap scenes we saw minutes ago

-WELL THAT WAS A CASUAL WAY FOR SERA TO REVEAL AKAI IS HER BROTHER

-"I never saw him play any instruments before" Yeah, "instruments"

-Awww, kid Sera :3

-Well this ED makes more sense now...maybe...

This was one of those episodes where the plot and character stuff were awesome and the actual case was...meh. Unfortunate, but at least a good chunk of it was based on character and plot. The guitar stuff was all really entertaining and the plot stuff was interesting and continues to make me wonder exactly where its going. So that's good.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 3

Serinox

Postby Serinox » October 27th, 2016, 8:20 am

kkslider5552000 wrote:-Ok, Gosho, if you want to say you're referencing K-on, just say you're referencing K-on

Well, he did. Before the case came out in the manga he wrote "The next case is "K-ON"♪" in one of his Animal Crossing messages, but ofc he can't directly reference them within the story.

Return to “General Discussion”