Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
Adel34

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread (Latest Subbed Episode: 888)

Post by Adel34 »

kkslider5552000 wrote:It's almost like it's impossible to maintain quality for 40 full length animated episodes every single year for underpaid workers or something
How would you know that they're underpaid? Do you mean that the animation budget is too small?
Kor wrote:When in the last few years this show had quality animation? Even in "good" episodes, most of your animation is just characters flapping their mouths. And sure, for this series it may as well be enough, but it's still a fairly lazy and very unambitious product when it comes to its animation aspect.
The "in the last few years" is the key sentence here. I've been recently re-watching episodes from the late 90's and it was very smooth back then. Nowadays many scenes feel like slideshows, rather than proper animation. I think that around episode 500 was the time the animation has gotten worse. Nowadays, it's even worse than that. The mystery train case and the recent Akai family case are the perfect examples of horrendous animation.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

Adel34 wrote: How would you know that they're underpaid?
Because that's the norm for anime.
Adel34 wrote: Do you mean that the animation budget is too small?
It's a long running anime tv series, so yes.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
Adel34

Post by Adel34 »

kkslider5552000 wrote:It's a long running anime tv series, so yes.
If that's the case than it's because the ratings have dropped. When Conan started airing on TV, the ratings were around 15-20%. Nowadays it's about 6%... People are starting to lose interest in Conan and I believe there are quite a few reasons behind it.
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

That's absolutely false. Sure, the ratings have dropped significantly in the past decade and a half, but that's because traditional television is pretty much on life-support nowadays. When you take into consideration all the different ways people can actually watch anime (television, streaming on their computer or their phone, etc.), which the Kadokawa group has done in a recent report, Conan is the second most watched anime in Japan behind Sazae-san.

1 Sazae san 11,581k
2 Detective Conan 8,984k
3 Chibimaruko chan 8,206k
4 Doraemon 6,546k
5 Crayon Shinchan 6,381k

https://www.f-ism.net/report/image/anim ... digest.pdf

Not to mention the movies keep breaking records in terms of gross. For instance "Detective Conan : Crimson Love Letter" grossed 6.89 billion yen and was the highest grossing non-foreign movie in Japan last year.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

Adel34

Post by Adel34 »

Wakarimashita wrote:That's absolutely false. Sure, the ratings have dropped significantly in the past decade and a half, but that's because traditional television is pretty much on life-support nowadays. When you take into consideration all the different ways people can actually watch anime (television, streaming on their computer or their phone, etc.), which the Kadokawa group has done in a recent report, Conan is the second most watched anime in Japan behind Sazae-san.
I see. I didn't consider that, because I'm very old-fashioned with that kind of stuff. Still, I'm surprised that you can stream a live anime episode on your phone... Besides that, do you have a report on ratings of specific episodes? For your information, the ratings I was talking about were taken from the DC wiki. Ratings for episodes that aired not so long ago were around 6%. Does this mean that this 6% were only the people who watched it on their TVs?
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

Adel34 wrote:
Wakarimashita wrote:That's absolutely false. Sure, the ratings have dropped significantly in the past decade and a half, but that's because traditional television is pretty much on life-support nowadays. When you take into consideration all the different ways people can actually watch anime (television, streaming on their computer or their phone, etc.), which the Kadokawa group has done in a recent report, Conan is the second most watched anime in Japan behind Sazae-san.
I see. I didn't consider that, because I'm very old-fashioned with that kind of stuff. Still, I'm surprised that you can stream a live anime episode on your phone... Besides that, do you have a report on ratings of specific episodes? For your information, the ratings I was talking about were taken from the DC wiki. Ratings for episodes that aired not so long ago were around 6%. Does this mean that this 6% were only the people who watched it on their TVs?
Maybe not live, but I'm pretty sure they can stream it for a certain amount of time afterwards. The channel which broadcasts Conan even has an official service for that called YTV MyDo. For instance, when "Your Name" aired a few weeks ago, it pulled in 17.4% in live ratings (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ng/.126037), however when adding people who streamed it later, total ratings actually increased significantly and reached 26.3% (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... gs/.126378).

I have the live tv ratings for all the episodes, but unfortunately I don't think the time-shifted ratings are released weekly. Those live-ratings are the % of households in the Kantô Region who watch a DC episode on their television as it airs. Last year's average live-rating was around 7% with the highest-rated episode being episode 883 (The Pop-up Book Bomber - Part 1, a filler) with 9.5% and the lowest episode being episode 866 (The Stage of Betrayal - Part 1) with 4.5%.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

Adel34

Post by Adel34 »

Wakarimashita wrote:
Maybe not live, but I'm pretty sure they can stream it for a certain amount of time afterwards. The channel which broadcasts Conan even has an official service for that called YTV MyDo. For instance, when "Your Name" aired a few weeks ago, it pulled in 17.4% in live ratings (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ng/.126037), however when adding people who streamed it later, total ratings actually increased significantly and reached 26.3% (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... gs/.126378).

I have the live tv ratings for all the episodes, but unfortunately I don't think the time-shifted ratings are released weekly. Those live-ratings are the % of households in the Kantô Region who watch a DC episode on their television as it airs. Last year's average live-rating was around 7% with the highest-rated episode being episode 883 (The Pop-up Book Bomber - Part 1, a filler) with 9.5% and the lowest episode being episode 866 (The Stage of Betrayal - Part 1) with 4.5%.
I see, so people don't really discriminate against AOs. Good to hear that.

Um... only in Kanto? Not the whole Japan? Why?
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Probably because the air time differs depending on the region, and also because Kanto is the center of Japan with the highest population density.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
usotsuki

Post by usotsuki »

I guess V1 (who handles Conan and handled the original Magic Kaito) is the cheaper division of TMS compared to Telecom (who handled Lupin Part 4)?

Conan's always kinda relied on techniques of Limited Animation, though.

ETA: Oh, and there's a way people watch TV on mobile devices on Japan using the regular terrestrial network, called "1 seg" (it's a low bitrate feed on the same multiplex as the regular station).
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

Episode 888: Kaito Kid and the Trick Box (Part Two)

-"Check out our reviews on Google Plus" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, this is the funniest ad yet

-OKIYA SUBARU'S POINTLESS CAMEOS EPISODE 42: Okiya (ft. a bathroom door) vs. Kid

-I'm amused that Conan can sense Kid the same way Haibara can sense BO members

-I'll laugh if it is Jirokichi or the old woman after Conan said they weren't suspicious

-"Can't you sense his presence? That's more your thing anyway"

-"13 Conditions for Dating a Detective" If that's actually the book title...I have many questions. Most of them being "How and why does this exist?"

-"Hey, I just remembered this entirely relevant backstory. Maybe...JUST MAYBE...it will be relevant!"

-"I command this paper to disappear!"

-Ok, that's a bit clever

-NO, DON'T FALL FOR HIS LIES

-WHERE DID HE PUT THE DISGUISE?

-BYEBYE

-Kid had to survive on top of that cage for three days.

This case was fine. It worked well for what it was, it just wasn't...as interesting as I would've hoped.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 8
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
Adel34

Post by Adel34 »

Oh, so we have yet another Japanese alphabets-related episodes. For us, it's impossible to figure these out. Good episode overall, I had the impression that the animation was a bit better than the Kaito case.
Swagnarok

Post by Swagnarok »

It is now the 22nd of January. Around what time can we reasonably expect to see a tentative February 2018 anime schedule?
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

Adel34 wrote:Oh, so we have yet another Japanese alphabets-related episodes. For us, it's impossible to figure these out. Good episode overall, I had the impression that the animation was a bit better than the Kaito case.
I didn't watch the entirety of the Kid case so can't comment on that, but as far as this episode went, yeah it seemed to have a bit more animation and movement than usual. I do think that whenever there's a shot with many characters, the art and animation still suffer, though.

Shiratori looked a bit weirder than usual to me, and he also sounded very weird. Not sure what happened there. Fumi's performance as Rumi was... strange. Her line delivery at times didn't really fit the way other characters sound in this series.
Adel34

Post by Adel34 »

Kor wrote:
Shiratori looked a bit weirder than usual to me, and he also sounded very weird. Not sure what happened there. Fumi's performance as Rumi was... strange. Her line delivery at times didn't really fit the way other characters sound in this series.
What do you mean by "Her line delivery at times didn't really fit the way other characters sound in this series."? Was there ever a "theme" to how the characters sound? What do you even mean by "sound"? Is it their tone? By the way, I like Rumi's voice.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

@Swagnarok: I guess we'll soon have news, depends on when the japanese tv magazines which usually include the upcoming anime schedule are released.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"