Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread

Post by kkslider5552000 »

Episode 1025: Ooka Momiji's Challenge (Part Two)

-"But I also think if you do this for every recap, it gets kinda boring. They did switch it up after a while back in the day. You don't have to go from ignoring this piece of background music to always using it the exact same way no matter what." lol they listened to me, cool.

-I dunno if the manga is like this but those kids look less like kids than the actual kids who are literally not kids. Some of it is too close to just slightly adjusting their adult heads and copy+pasting on the kid body. (unless that's actually the twist, in which case, well played)

-I wonder how many scenarios were thought of to justify something as weirdly specific as "they all have the same burn mark on their hand"

-"Apparently today's the day for great social media posts that happens once a year." That sounds like the absolute worst holiday humanly possible

-"How marvelous" I fundamentally do not understand you, Momiji

-"before he realizes how attractive you are" is pretty funny

-Your bigger concern should be that the sun now looks like a heart, that can't be good for the entire solar system

-One of the few things that is notably better about Conan right now is the visual presentation. It doesn't look much different than it has the past decade but it does feel like the people on it don't want to just present every single thing in the most obvious, boring way possible (which is often how it would be, even during Conan's best years). Just a very small touch like having the flashback happen in Conan's glasses is at least something visually interesting rather than actually nothing.

-"Ran is sad just like that time with the donuts" ...ok, Detective Conan, how is this not silly? Elaborate, please

-Well, that's at least relevant. I guess.

-The brother was fake all along!

-Ok to be fair, how do you push him off by accident like that? Were you that unaware of your surroundings?

-Nice sunset, how will this be ruined?

-"I wonder whose mansion their mother was working at." ...oh no, it can't be...

-...oh it wasn't actually what I thought. I thought it was the abandoned mansion whose mysterious owner had sudden become very important 20 years later. This one is just a "huh" more than anything.

This was another case that was just kind of ok. Like I guess it worked well considering how the weird direction of it, where most of it didn't really start until the 2nd half, it didn't have the issues most 1 episode AOs have, so good job there. But outside of the minimum expected amount of clever aspects to it, it was not especially great. I will say, I actually like do the love triangle thing to some extent, but I had hoped it would've done more to break Heiji and Kazuha away from their status quo to end all status quo of a relationship subplot. Like its just one joke everytime, Heiji tries to confess, does not succeed, but now there's another girl involved. Which is a real shame because Heiji and Kazuha moments used to at least feel notable in some way, and they're too good of characters to do so little interesting with. Especially with Shinran finally on the right path again.

Speaking of which, this feels like I'm being too kind because an actual romance writer of any sort would find this to be embarrassing. But all things considered, the very small step, of taking into account and remembering Ran's actions being overly selfless and trying to do good for her is the type of thing I've wanted Shinichi to be better at for a long time now. For a long time now (and granted, this is just as much on the anime as it is Gosho), Shinichi's felt like a character whose done too little to justify borderline ghosting Ran for the vast majority of the series. Even giving her his phone number didn't change much when it clearly should have. But actually canonically putting them together immediately made this whole thing better to watch, and a small thing like letting go of his ego because of Ran is Shinichi having a genuine respect for and an attempt at understanding Ran's feelings that's been ignored for far too long. It's not a ton, but it at least gets Conan farther away from the feeling that its more focused on trying have Conan cool and above it all, which is, y'know, the opposite of the entire point of any sort of character development he had in the first place! This is the character I liked in the first place, not just the marketable cool kid detective whose smarter than everything.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 8
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1029: Police Academy Arc Wild Police Story Case. Matsuda Jinpei

-I've been very curious about this. It's some sort of Amuro-centric spinoff and they're just airing it in Conan. Probably for the best with the slowing down of manga material to use. And I just like the idea of airing it as a change of pace of sorts from Conan, kinda like that Magic Kaito adaptation (the good one).

-Also, young Matsuda. I'm here for that. Matsuda has got to have one of the greatest legacies vs. his actual on-screen time. (2nd only to Anokata, I suppose)

-"Blondie!" I also like Blondie but I'm not sure reminding people of Heart of Glass is the best badass battle cry

-"That I-love-cops attitude is what I hate about you!" Oh wow, based Matsuda? Based Matsuda!

-I'll be honest, I forgot who this person was. When I looked it up and saw "Scotch" I was like "oh yeah, ok"

-This is not unexpected but wow does this OP truly have nothing to do with this at all

-Just to be safe, I also looked up this instructor in case he's also a character I'm supposed to know. I don't but he is like one letter away from the guy from GTO, lol

-I'm also still surprised that Matsuda's old partner, whose character is "old partner that died" was chosen as a character to expand, both in this or in Conan in general

-Y'know, thinking about it, no one talks about there being a somewhat recurring theme of foreigners being bullied because of their different hair, but it sure is here. I know nothing about anything that specific about such things in Japanese society but considering the running anime stereotype of blonde=foreign, I can't think of another shonen off the top of my head that has brought that up. I'm not qualified to have serious thoughts on it, but it definitely seems like something that came from actual reality rather than just a wacky anime theme for the sake of it.

-"his outrageous behavior and lack of cooperativeness are fatal" Ok it was already a bit weird having him backstory all the character, but this line would NEVER be said if this wasn't a flashback to a character who we know died on the job

-I will say the police are basically the opposite of the ones in Ace Attorney based on this first lesson we see(...also arguably the opposite of enough of the police in this show). So many characters are like "supporting evidence? Who needs that?!"

-I hope I'm not the only one who finds all the characters moving their head slightly up to...somehow look cooler(?) to be hilarious

-I don't wanna go all weeb on this, but its an anime website, you can just have the subs say "tsundere" when I hear them say "tsundere", Crunchyroll

-Ok I somehow just thought of this, they also made the blonde character one of the least white so uh, this arguably works in multiple ways.

-I'm sorry, that's kind of an underwhelming backstory. I mean yeah, an unfair arrest and failing to get the title match sucks but nothing about this suggests anything other than "he missed one title match and then immediately gave up forever and gained a drinking problem". Matsuda, your dad had some issues, its not just the police

-Ok, learning that Kogoro is the best shot the police have seen is a fantastic piece of backstory. I love it

-"Oh he'll end up like his father" oooh

-What even happened? They fell and he tried to catch it and caught his neck in the middle of it? I guess?

-Ah, the classic lie to reveal the culprit

-If you're reading this, pause this episode around 19:47. This episode has some real QUALITY

-Oh wow Breakerz with a new ED. Hooray!

-"Run" No, guy from Breakerz, that's Ran. :V

-...did they crush his dream? Would there be no indication from anyone that the arrest was bs and he deserves a title match? You can't just say his dream was crushed.

Well that was...a thing. I'm honestly struggling to have thoughts on this. Like it started ok and then it became stupid in a lame way and then it became stupid in an entertaining way. What do I do with this? I dunno. I mean, I much prefer this to watching more 1 episode AOs but uh...this could've used a rewrite I think.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

Shinji28

Post by Shinji28 »

What happened to Detective Conan in Crunchyroll, did the rights expire? Are they going to renew it? Crunchyroll had much better translation than Bilibili.
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

Please don't spam the same message in all threads. This isn't Discord, people aren't going to reply inmediately.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1030: The Blank Year (Part 1)

-Y'know considering what year this blank year would be, maybe he should be grateful he's forgotten it

-So Crunchyroll at some point since my last post put the rest of the series permanently locked behind premium, so uh, end of an era as far as I'm concerned.

-I choose to believe that keychain (that is apparently alive according to the OP) would be voiced by Shiori Izawa

-I'm immediately suspicious. Maybe because that's how this series is written but moreso I (fittingly?) can't think of a memory loss story in this series that's legit (movies don't count).

-Kogoro making me go to Wikipedia twice in a minute, I'm impressed

-I like the word "skeletonized". But also, yeah that dead guy is gonna be important to this

-"Well not that he matters" That's both rude and an incredibly obvious sign that he will matter

-Oh I thought they were trying to hide his face but then you see it. Um...ok

-I mean, I guess the implication is that he was arrested but we didn't see him in cuffs or anything and he still has the uniform on. I'm undecided if that was intentional or not.

-I actually thought to myself "oh, is it 3?" *three people appear at the table* "of course"

-It must've been the dog that tried to kill him! : o

-"You wish dogs would be struck by lightning" what a specific desire you've assumed he has

-I really didn't think he was gonna be the one to die tbh. Especially since his part in this story feels incomplete, in a way. Clear he was murdered for seeing too much and starting to remember.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 4

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1031: The Blank Year (Part 2)

-One subtle change for the better that the anime doesn't always utilize is Kogoro finally understanding that Conan is a very smart kid who you shouldn't dismiss the opinion of. The UK case is where I remember that really becoming a thing, and while some of Kogoro's ignorance of this was funny, it kinda had run its course (especially since it seems like they didn't wanna show Kogoro doing even wacky cartoony violence to a kid anymore). Like...in a way I get that it kinda makes Conan's situation less interesting and less of a disadvantage to him but its been so long, the routine had run its course.

-Tron Bonne understands the pain of being chased up a pole by a dog

-Wow Kogoro even figured out Conan was ahead of him

-I'll be honest, I kinda hope it isn't someone in this family. I'd be a bit sad if it was. Which is...more than I expect from an AO, that's for sure. Maybe it'll be that fake cop from before.

-It was not.

-That didn't seem like a fatal blow to the head.

-Y'know, he could've easily lied and said Kisugi Akira ran away or something after that.

-"I'll look after your wife until you're back" ...well depending on how you mean that...I don't think he's coming back

Honestly I liked this one more than most AOs nowadays. There was a real emotional element to it that I actually bought into. Maybe partially because it so nice to see pseudo-siblings in this series that actually genuinely care about each other, with no twist at the end (...though now that I say that, that's partially the premise of the last case I watched). I was hoping things would turn out alright and...while it does really suck the dad is gone, the siblings are still around and seem to genuinely care about this amnesiac who came into their lives. It is sweet, even if as actual characters we don't get a ton from them. Which honestly bums me out that we get no resolution on that. Just...well the old man did it, sucks for his wife, the kids don't matter I guess. *shrugs*

I will also say, I'm not sure about the pacing of some of this. It feels like certain clues needed to be brought up nearly at the last minute. I'm undecided if that's bad or merely odd for this series. But the emotional stuff was notably above average for an AO and that made it easy to not have minor issues ruin it.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 6

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1033: Taiko Meijin's Shogi Board (Opening Move)

-Oooh after the obligatory New Year's message, its a B'z song! Always a huge plus to any Conan episode with one

-Will this one mysterious death be relevant beyond the next three episodes? We shall see!

-I have no idea why Conan would go along with a lie about losing video games intentionally. Maybe he's genuinely embarrassed about losing to actual children?

-I am amused that even a Japanese illiterate dweeb like me can get that she made the cutesy nickname that's basically "what if shukichi but kiss?"

-"Since we started living together, I've been seeing sides of him I don't need to see." I just assume she's implying she wishes he had a sexier ass

-Haibara is really lying as effortlessly as she breathes today, huh?

-"Let me walk with the kid he knows and just talked with, that won't make him notice me!"

-This is not the first anime story I've seen about an adopted shogi kid, a specific enough thing to note as far as I'm concerned. Though I think the adopted family in that one is the counterpoint to the adopted family in this one.

-Ok, I badly want to see alt-universe overly cheerful shu family

-It'd be a plot twist if he wasn't dead tbh

-Clearly, the blender did it

-The real plot twist is there being an actual scene after the credits before the final party of a case

-lol ending on wacky music even though a man has died

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 7

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1034: Taiko Meijin's Shogi Board (Brilliant Move)

-Sato noticing quickly the possibility that one of the people here did it, because that's how it tends to go

-Lady, you sure do know a lot about the specific timing of boiling water (actually is it weird to know that?)

-No seriously, all suspicion on these people whose friend just died. I mean, they're correct to do so in this universe but it is a bit harsh outside of that context.

-If i wanted to murder specific people, I would personally make sure my clues don't entirely make sense. Like if there was an implication four people would die, I'd kill three because not only would that break any lead they have but also would make the last person more suspicious than anyone. It's just really dumb to give away clues to your own crimes.

-Suddenly, fire!

-I assume Yuminaga has showed up at least once after that one case that introduced Okiya Subaru but I couldn't tell you right now what they were

-"his rectal temperature hadn't fallen much" ...the things you do to solve crimes

-Oh we found Shadowman already? That was quicker than expected. Unless Shukichi is about to be knocked out

-I do appreciate Conan thinking about the case after a full day, makes it seem like he's an actual human being and not just detective superhero.

-Capsule toys, the thing that finally got Genta to have a personality other than "likes food" for the first time in seemingly decades

-Oh so have we officially ended the Chiba love story? Like has it reached its end point? Considering the last case focused on that was literally the only time it was decent, yeah that's probably for the best, just off screen that relationship and we'll all move on with our day (or y'know, maybe actually focus on the police couple everyone likes again, for once? Plz?)

-Hey look, a singular use of they, a thing stupid people think isn't real :V

-And there's tied up Shukichi btw

-Akai appearance : o

-I wonder if Akai is just bored sometimes. Like having to be in disguise when almost anyone is around, probably spends much of his time indoors. The one character who truly knew what the past couple of years were like, by complete coincidence :V

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1035: Taiko Meijin's Shogi Board (Checkmate)

-I don't care how relevant it ends up being to this specific case or not, Checkmate was the only correct title for this episode

-"Ramen to die for" I wouldn't have that as a tag-line considering how statistically, in this series, someone probably did die either in that place or near it

-Oh Akai's showing up as himself! That how you know he's taking this seriously

-"as his brother, I wish he'd consider how not to get captured" lol

-...you ever think how Bush was still in office when Akai faked his death?

-Whoever this is, can unquestionably do this voice. It's not a voice changer or anything, that's just a voice the culprit can do. Because otherwise, his voice is being heard by them, right? Unless that's just for the audience rather than the characters

-Just gonna mix some water while I kill someone!

-...I kinda wish he could do that voice tbh, but that makes more sense if its just for the audience's sake

-Oh so he did use the thing making it clear its a serial murder as a trick! Good, a smart culprit.

-So used to "that person" as the culprit, now we get the new type of wonderfully vague "that location". I bet "that location" is also how they'll describe the Black Organization HQ someday

-Lol Conan's awkward reaction to Akai still having a gun on him. Or maybe he's concerned he's gonna try something lethal :V

-Oh my god, Akai Shuichi is actually Hol Horse, but without the comedy

-That sure is a reason to commit suicide

-That's a curious ending. Why is their mom being hidden now? That's...hm...I have no idea honestly. Especially since...we all kinda know who she is. :V

Anyway, that was a fun time. I'm not sure its the most solid case ever, but outside of one motivation that doesn't entirely work for me even in the world of focusing on clear cut motivations instead of mental health for why a suicide would happen, it worked well. And that's a good thing because this had some One Piece levels of overly recapping the same scenes. Like we went through that whole scene about the food they got and why it couldn't be proof for who killed him, an entire second time. They tried to explain it but still, that's a bit much. So it says something that I still really liked this. I think maybe the mix of serial killer case and Yumi plot that isn't obligated to go all the way through the whole case and switches to an Akai story kept it interesting despite all that. And Akai is rarely around as Akai, so that was just nice to see (not to mention Conan's parents).

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 6

teniie2

Post by teniie2 »

I don't even remember 767, but I had to wait nearly another week for it (I forgot and put it off). The entire show seemed odd since 768 was completely out of character on Haibara. I had no idea what was happening in 769.
Shinji28

Post by Shinji28 »

Spoiler:
Wish they adapted the case into 4 or five episode one. Loved the detail of the crow's symbol on Rum's car.
sayanyoo

Post by sayanyoo »

detective conan world is down
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

We're not affiliated to DCW in any shape so there's no point in posting messages about it.

It'll eventually go back online, so don't post messages unrelated to the thread's purpose.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1036: Whiteout (Part 1)

-I did not mean to take a half a year break like this but oh well. Not like the series is gonna rapidly change without me in that time.

-"We did it!" You did nothing

-I'm convinced Conan has met half of the owners of all companies in Japan at this point

-Why does Conan have the serious "you can't see my eyes" glasses for eating?

-I have to admit I can't have predicted this guy's response to "Are you gonna shoot me?" to be "No" and for him to literally try to win with a knife in a gun fight. There was a small part of me that thought he was gonna commit suicide to frame him for murder somehow.

-...maybe he should've ran instead...

-I have to admit, I'm curious how we're gonna get a two parter out of this. This seems pretty clear, not much mystery to go on.

-Conan realizing he is to go serious quickly or else they won't believe them

-"Do these brats really think they can escape?" Old doctors, famously known for their running prowess

-I'm here for less of a traditional mystery and more of an attempted escape from a criminal. Like I always say, not every Conan story needs to follow the same formula, variety is generally badly needed in this show.

-I like how these guys have so little subtlety they're just holding out a knife and rope

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 1

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1037: Whiteout (Part 2)

-B'z is our Foo Fighters. They'll never go away, they'll never stop rocking, eternally reliable.

-"This is gonna weigh on my conscience" is a bit of an underreaction to the idea of murdering four children.

-And then Agasa was completely buried in snow, never to be seen again, based on this imagery.

-I was gonna make a joke about Mitsuhiko explaining the difference between cell phones and landline but considering this is a kid in "current year", him finding that to be a novel thing worth explaining makes complete sense

-Ok I get adding to the tension, but what are the odds they'd fall in those exact spots? Like seriously, those were exactly between them.

-Man, Conan stumbled hard

-Whoa this guy has no mercy, just threatening to break a kid's neck on the phone.

-What is with this character?

-OMG they let Minami Takayama act today! A rare moment in modern Conan, instead of just relying on the same handful of emotions in the same way, forever

-"Am I going to die here?" I did not expect Ayumi to say this by how this case started

-What if Ayumi was approached by the murderer instead? Terrifying moment if that happened...

-Slow-mo, or like snow-mo

-And thus Conan was buried in snow, never to be seen again (not really)

-And thus it begins again

At first I thought I was just gonna talk about this as another example of "perfectly watchable AO that did something different", which makes it a very simple, by default thumbs up based on slightly low expectations of modern AOs. It's a fun premise to really sidestep much of the murder mystery focus to make a story about escaping a murderer instead. But this 2nd half surprisingly was actually a decently tense little episode. In its own...limited way, it genuinely did a good job of making this whole situation of being stuck in a blizzard with the potential threat of a murderer looming over them feel like a real problem worth being invested in. And while still being the genius he always is, Conan actually felt more vulnerable and like an actual human being for once, which added a lot to make it not feel as inevitable as it obviously is that they'll be fine. Especially with a surprise twist of him being knocked unconscious. It actually got me invested in what was going on. Which might sound normal for a series but 1000 episodes in, with how filler is, that often doesn't work out. But they pulled it off here, and I think that's great. One of the best AO episodes of Conan I've seen in ages.

Also I'm so happy Minami Takayama was given...even a little bit other than how she always acts as Conan. Conan is often a very static character, to fit into the neverending murder mystery schtick as the cool kid who will solve them. But it feels like that's almost always how he is now, nothing really catches him off guard or feels too genuine an emotion, because he's always acting the same for the same stories. But this actually had that and he felt more human in general, so it was a refreshing change of pace.