Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread

Post by kkslider5552000 »

Episode 1007: Out For Revenge (Part One)

-Oh boy its time for reveeeenge!

-Oh we skipped to the dead body already. That was nice of them.

-That's a lot of blood. And from a distance, it risks looking like blood! : o

-Ok so I looked it up. I thought this was someone else whose done OPs before, but she's only done one ED, and she didn't sound like a different person in that one. Weird.

-Ah the smug trio

-"Guys its really important we cut to Conan's serious face. This adds nothing to anything, but do it to end the scene, ok?"

-But showing the "blood" up close when its this much absolutely, unquestionably, undeniably just makes it look like he spilled way too much black ink on himself and fell down. No one thinks this looks like real blood, but no one is being protected because you didn't use the color red.

-...so the lawyer did it? That's my immediate guess

-Oooh so I'd assume the lawyer disguised himself as Komoto and will kill him to make it seem like he committed suicide. Not sure the autopsy would make that work out in the long run if he doesn't have the disease he's supposed to have, but oh well.

-murder in broad daylight

-Easy to fake a dead body if he happens to have died in the water, maybe carried elsewhere. Watch as I'm wrong about ALL of this.

-...what is this incredibly specific tragedy?

-"Something's not right" it never is

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 3
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

My goodness gracias, EP1029 looks STUNNING. They did ma boys justice.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1008: Out For Revenge (Part Two)

-I dunno why but it feels so much longer than a week since I saw the last episode so yes I could use this recap.

-"Something's not right" It never is

-Suddenly, he was buried!

-I do think its interesting how much pure dumb luck helped discover this information. Like normally the culprit would've made a mistake or had to leave some small piece of evidence somehow, but here its just "well it just happened to be time to dig this random place up!"

-Probably wasn't this Mr. X I imagine
https://cdn-www.gamerevolution.com/asse ... hasing.png

-Random people looking around like "why are these angry looking people all just standing around and staring?"

-Y'know in this scenario, they probably just broke an innocent guy's back for no reason.

-Considering what Crunchyroll won't actually put in the subs sometimes, I'm fascinated Kogoro-no-ojisan is apparently one of them.

-Kogoro's sudden math equation is kinda great

-This case took an odd turn

-Honestly I wish they just kept with Conan laughing for at least 10 more seconds

This case was certainly interesting. I thought for once I had a really good idea of where it was going, and it went in a fairly different direction. I mean, there being a 2nd murderer was inevitable but I didn't see anything else about it happening. It was kind of a genuine surprise and certainly is one of the more interesting directions they've gone with a case in quite some time. But I'm a bit mixed on it? Like I thought it was better than an average 2 part AO, but it didn't leave the impact it should have. So I mostly just looked at it as "huh that's interesting" rather than any real investment. I also feel like it may have been a little too cute with how it handled its twist, like "look at us, we actually surprised you". I dunno. But I will say, I did spend enough time thinking about the case, which is so hard to do with these AOs. There's been so many, and so often they just do what the series does in the manga anyway, that its so hard to care sometimes. This gets an A for effort, at the very least.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 8
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1011: Picking Wild Plants and Clovers (Part One)

-I was half expecting her to walk him off a cliff

-Look, I've complained about it forever, but that was really good until the blood was distractingly not red. It will pretty much never be anything but a consistent problem that will negatively effect (even if to a small degree) every single case with blood, unless they decide to change it back.

-I'll be honest, I would've bet money this would've been AO based on the very boring title, if not for the characters who show up in this specific one (especially the plot character)

-This small plot point is made much less happy when you know how Japanese businesses don't want working women to waste any time having or raising kids, so of course she'd quit (...though teaching seems like a particularly weird profession to be against this)

Ok I was not thinking at all, because obviously its much less happy since she sure isn't getting married now :V

-"They have nothing to do with us common folk" that still breathe

-"Ooooh" ...Detective Boys, she's just backing up her vehicle. It's not that impressive. Even for your ages.

-Yamamura! : D Oh man, how long has it even been? I can't remember the last time he showed up!

-I love how Yamamura is actually correct on this one

-Yamamura is still a delight

-Ayumi is so used to murders she can just find a four leaf clover like nothing happened

-A right eye issue, huh? That seems potentially familiar.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 5

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1012: Picking Wild Plants and Clovers (Part Two)

-Instead of using someone literally trapped in a closet to make obvious jokes, I'm going to guess who is.

Obviously Eisuke. Even his attempt to ask out Ran were a ruse so...

By contrast, Sera isn't in the closet. Unless there's some not early scene where Ran or Sonoko ask if she has a boyfriend anyway. But she's the recurring character in this series I'm most certain isn't straight.

Headcanons

-They did the "ding" sound effect

-Yamamura got his very own Conan puppet : D

-Yamamura face meets tree

-...yeah I have no idea why Conan blushed there for a second...ok maybe just because this is weird to do with someone who doesn't normally do the sleeping Kogoro thing

-Kobayashi, the strongest woman in the world!

-The cool thing about the sleeping detectives is that basically every character who goes through with it has a voice that makes for a fun contrast with their normal wacky persona. Like they can pull "unexpectedly serious" very well. Maybe not as much for Yamamura though, but that might just be because credible, serious Yamamura basically doesn't exist outside of this mode.

-Ok Conan. ...you gonna do something? No. Ok.

This case was pretty good. I think it needed a bit more or better atmosphere (giant contrast to the church case) to be anything all that special, but it worked well enough and was enjoyable for what it was. Even with a lesser one, Gosho cases still tend to stand out as highlights compared to the rest. But after all this time...you gotta do something at some point. It's not the Bourbon arc where it was infuriating how there'd be large breaks in the story (even if one of those breaks advanced a different story), its intentionally a more chill arc until something finally happens. But at some point...something has to really happen here.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 7

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1016: The Monorail Sniper Case (Part One)

-I didn't think the monorail sniper would happen while they were on it, but I'm also surprised there's a sniper in an AO (I just doubled checked this for all the remaining already aired episodes, for reasons).

-I remember seeing a train sniper situation in one of the movies in the past couple of years, so it was either one of the last couple of movies or when I rewatched movie 18...

-Well if there were suspicious blood strains going that far, I'd still investigate! That's a weird thing to find regardless of relevancy!

-Ok that's a pretty cool coincidence. Potentially not a sniper at all!

-"What's this smell? Oh of course, the smell of a kidnapped woman!"
...I mean, that's what that scene is implying by just cutting to commercial right there

-From not sniper to exploding cars, what a wild episode

-I wanna believe this is just going the greatest lengths possible to avoid being found out for the one murder.

-Kogoro was probably thinking something like "the dentist, of course!"

-This is in contention for the silliest Shadowman has ever looked

-This ED song is...mildly interesting. It feels like small bits of music from random cultures.

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1017: The Monorail Sniper Case (Part Two)

-I don't know why but the shot of the three people with the forklifts going towards the camera with a serious expression on their faces is hilarious

-Shadowman slowly driving by is also hilarious

-Fitting to open something that looks like it belongs on a casket to try to find the body

-"His heart shall belong to me forever!" No seriously, that was about to be way too much for any era of this series

-It'd be a surprise if it wasn't, but I'm pretty sure that guy just shot himself in a non-lethal way

-I said that BEFORE he did a little smile in the ambulance lol

-Well he better have not shot himself in any way to cause even the slightest of injury, or else Takagi is being massively careless just to catch this guy

Well that was a very fun case, even if the latter half wasn't as interesting as the first. Particularly compared to the standard formula in AOs, I much prefer when they try going all over the place and seeing things consistently happen rather than slow it down for half the time to just slowly uncovering evidence. I think they're generally better at that when they don't have Gosho's own material to work off of. Though considering how Kogoro had a gun pointed at him, it felt like that part was weirdly less exciting than it should be.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 7

k11chi

Post by k11chi »

I vibe with this opening for ZTT. It kicks off with those iconic spy-like instruments but that singing in the second half is fantastic.
OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY5MhfETTMk
ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkN1Kvx_n7g

This message is in the beginning of the episode as well.

Also, the first episode of ZTT starts off with some really beautiful and calm melody, that track is an absolute killer! Is that from the new music producer? It doesn't sound like anything from Ohno. Anyway I really like that track, long and well-rounded to set up the atmosphere. Someone better find it.
aaron_ouji

Post by aaron_ouji »

k11chi wrote:
April 17th, 2022, 8:16 am
I vibe with this opening for ZTT. It kicks off with those iconic spy-like instruments but that singing in the second half is fantastic.
OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY5MhfETTMk
ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkN1Kvx_n7g

This message is in the beginning of the episode as well.

Also, the first episode of ZTT starts off with some really beautiful and calm melody, that track is an absolute killer! Is that from the new music producer? It doesn't sound like anything from Ohno. Anyway I really like that track, long and well-rounded to set up the atmosphere. Someone better find it.
Composer is Tomisiro https://myanimelist.net/people/17505/TOMISIRO
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1018: The Antique Tray Can't Be Hidden (Part One)

-I would think it would be very easy to hide an antique tray, personally

-also since last doing this Crunchyroll decided to pull a Hulu and hate poor people, so I'll have to find some other way to watch this after episode 138 (well I don't have to, but I trust streaming services as much as I trust Shadowman to not do a crime)

-I should probably write down the current Okayu number at some point, since I keep forgetting it

-OKIYA SUBARU'S POINTLESS CAMEOS EPISODE 48: Cherry Bomb

-Sera fang

-The case they're referencing aired when I was in elementary school (and it aired way later than it was in the manga too!)

-"That was before you came here Ai" And that's not true in how the anime aired, exactly why I knew that info

-"She passed away last year, so its mine now"

-Sera Masumi, the stalker

-Ok to be fair, its been 1000 episodes, I don't blame Conan for not being paranoid at this point. Like if something was gonna happen, you'd think it would be now?

-I guess Okayu got cherries for Sherry

-Okayu ruining everything

-Okayu's best acting ability: pretending to be interested in this and to immediately want to see the appraiser

-"Come on, we're both girls" out of context Sera line

-"Besides..." is all Conan heard, he is confused at this incomplete statement

-I wonder if at some point when someone isn't answering despite the fact they're supposed to be there, Conan would immediately ask outloud "what if he died?"

-I can't even remember the last time Haibara was this angry at someone

-No mercy for this guy, my god...

-Agasa left this man to die

-I try not to comment negatively on voice acting in a different language, but whatever this woman is doing I do not like. Whether it be the actual seiyuu or the direction or some vague Japanese stereotype (just a random guess) of a voice she's supposed to be doing, I'd rather not.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 8

kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Episode 1019: The Antique Tray Can't Be Hidden (Part Two)

-Ok this the most nit-pickiest complaint ever. Maybe I've said this before, but I do appreciate that certain songs are again used the same way they were early in the series. Like the Conan theme would show up when someone had to get physical to stop a criminal at the end, and a different song for the climax of the case explanation, this song for a happy scene with the Mouri family post-case, and right at the beginning of this episode, the recap song. I hated when they stopped doing that, especially during that weird period before they updated some of the newer music to...quite frankly, be better (I doubt anyone remembers or noticed but when they switched up the OST in 2009, some of those songs are slightly different than in later episodes, and the early versions of some of those specific songs AFAIK have never showed up again). But I also think if you do this for every recap, it gets kinda boring. They did switch it up after a while back in the day. You don't have to go from ignoring this piece of background music to always using it the exact same way no matter what. There's a middle ground here.

This doesn't matter at all for the quality of an episode compared to literally anything else that can happen for an episode, I fully realize. Thank you for tolerating my rant about anime background music.

-OKIYA SUBARU'S POINTLESS CAMEOS EPISODE 49: Protec Sister

-Not only are there 3 suspects but now also 3 people discovering the body

-Honestly bringing up smart phones just retroactively made Conan's never ending "they said it on tv" excuse make way more sense now, as someone in his 30s who still in fact, looks up terms when I'm not certain on what they mean

-That being said, calling Haibara Agasa's roommate does the opposite of make me think Haibara is a legit kid, so not sure on that one, Okiya

-I KNEW they were all gonna have similar blood stains

-Ok so the safe bet would be that there's another tray, but that seems almost a bit too obvious so I wonder if the trick is more out there.

-I want to believe Megure's thinking "girl, I dunno what you're talking about, can you not waste my time while we're investigating a murder?"

-"You don't actually know who I am, do you?" Technically this is a question but I assume that Sera's assumption is that he doesn't know which is...the opposite assumption I would make right now

-Sera's butt

-"She's grown so much" I don't think this is supposed to be as awkward and hilarious a line as it was but considering, uh, my previous comment, this is a very awkward thing to say about your sister, Shuichi! :V

-If Sera was wrong, she'd seem like a real weirdo to me

-Conan: England? Text: United Kingdom
I have no idea why but something about that made me laugh. It's like they need to explain that England is part of the UK.

-Also we're really putting together the pieces here. Normally there's more of a climactic thing to happen around this point, but its never really happened in this arc. Which does make me think (hope) that when the Black Organization properly comes back into this story, things are gonna go nuts (and its not just gonna find a new status quo for the next 5 years afterwards :V).

-And then the end is like "oh yeah we have a case to continue next time"

mathygreen

Post by mathygreen »

We rely on English subtitles, so you can freely talk about any future episode only after it's subbed by Crunchyroll.
Premium members on Crunchyroll get access to new subbed episodes on the same day they air in Japan. Free access is granted 7 days after the episode airs in Japan.

If you watch the raw, and CR didn't sub the episode yet, use a spoiler tag to talk about the episode.
Do not talk about stuff that didn't air yet at all. Also please refrain from posts such as "I can't wait for XXXXXX to be introduced!", or "I can't wait for the XXXX case to happen!", cause that's also spoilerific.

Feel free to talk about any episode, but this thread will contain up-to-date discussion.
So if you're behind in the series and are wary of spoilers, the discussions might spoil for you episodes you haven't watched yet.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

...thank you for preventing me from double posting again, totes real person

Episode 1020: The Antique Tray Can't Be Hidden (Part Three)

-Illegible beauty

-I'd like to believe Gosho was inspired by staring too long at plates out of sheer boredom.

-I do always approve of Conan just making something up to vaguely sound correct in order to trick someone into revealing too much

-"more importantly" lol, yes more importantly then the murder or the surgery, WHICH ONE IS REAL?!?!?111?!!?

-Ok seriously guys, a murder happened, and we've ignored it IMMEDIATELY.

-I like how Akai showing his true self is entirely defined by one eye. They found a cool visual and they are sticking to it as much as possible

-Oh before I forget
OKIYA SUBARU'S POINTLESS CAMEOS EPISODE 50: One Eye

-How many secret organizations are involved in this plot? What next, S.H.I.E.L.D.?

So a weird thing happened with this case. For such an arguably uninteresting premise for the case, I was decently into what was there for the first two parts. But the conclusion to it, while a clever trick was usual, felt very lacking. Especially because immediately, no one cared about what had happened. I feel like its happened before somewhat recently, but it was so weird and I don't even know why you would bother if the second its solved, no one cares. You could make that case before, but for this one, it was jarring.

Plot development is interesting as usual, but the odd thing about it is that for once, it feels like we're ahead of the actual characters. We know who Subaru is, we can be pretty confident on who Mary is, we know how temporary the APTX antidote currently is. Usually, there's enough mystery to keep someone interested, unless they've actively solved it themselves already (or I dunno, made an entire story arc that's spoiled by having decent Gundam knowledge). Which I guess is fine as there's other mysteries afoot but I hope they don't just drag this part of it out.

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 3

Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Post by Spimer »

User mathygreen

Don't act as if you're staff and who can tell others what they can't do and they can do. That's our role.

Please don't do that again.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
kkslider5552000
Community Villain

Spimer wrote:
September 30th, 2022, 7:51 am
User mathygreen

Don't act as if you're staff and who can tell others what they can't do and they can do. That's our role.

Please don't do that again.
I hate to tell you this but that's a bot. It just copy+pasted lines from the first post of the thread.

Episode 1024: Ooka Momiji's Challenge (Part One)

-Oh yeah I remember this character. While I doubt this is true if you count the manga, for the anime I think this is the first time a character was introduced in a movie and then became a recurring character since um...the chipmunk guy?

-I'm being serious here, I don't remember the context of this phone message. The last Kazuha story was the Kid one right? So it was a while before that for Momiji's last appearance.

-Eh, we're done congratulating, time for a new OP!

-If I thought Detective Conan was gonna jump the shark, making this keychain a living thing would be how it would happen. OP, what are you doing and why?

-I actually like the song but this has got to be one of the dumbest directions they've done visually for a Conan OP ever. I get that its kinda significant to their relationship...I think (they became an item nearly 4 years ago, how does anyone remember anything that specific about this series anymore?), but its very dumb. I'm not sure if its endearingly dumb or not.

-Oh, a code based case instead of a murder! Variety!

-"But I'm still too embarrassed to talk to him" *sigh* Two steps forward, one step back

-And then Conan proceeded to play games all day and ignore the texts

-I wonder if there's a single person out there who knows that WELL ACKTUALLY GENTA ATE SHELLFISH JUST FINE IN (insert AO no one cares about here). Does this person exist?

-I mean, to be fair, a Ran story where the previous thing that happened in her relationship with Shinichi matters and might lead to even the tiniest bit of anything happening is progress

-Oh the message was recorded in this, I legitimately thought I forgot something from her last appearance. It could've been, I likely wouldn't have remembered this.

-Wow this piece of BGM you basically never hear, especially nowadays.

-No don't land the helicopter on them! D :

-This is the most underwhelming reason to greet someone via helicopter ever

-"It's a hint so she can figure it out herself before she gets hurt" Is that a threat?

-"That's a problem" a problem you made up (greater than zero percent chance that's also what this whole thing is)

-I was suspicious when 4 brothers were involved, yep here's the murder

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 6