Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread (Latest Subbed Episode: 927)

Post by kkslider5552000 »

Episode 932: The Northern Kyushu Mystery Tour (Moji Arc)

-You fools, knocking Ran down re-activated her competency powers!

-Ran goes to jail for assaulting two officers

-It would be amazing if Kogoro just got everything right, and then the 2nd half of this episode was just the three of them heading back and doing nothing else of note.

-The tiger is a witness

-It actually is the bomb, and everyone just dies at the very end of the episode

-Or just Ran I guess

-Ran just throws it at the police cars and they all explode. No Ran don't throw it that way! XD

-"My brain damage congratulates you"

That case was pretty good I guess. I dunno, I'm very tired but I stayed awake for this so it must be good. XD

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 10
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
Spimer
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Side of the Force!

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread (Latest Subbed Episode: 940)

Post by Spimer »

Yes, the latest episode is 940. It's simply that the thread title hasn't been updated yet.

When in doubt, check the CrunchyRoll website for the latest updates.
"I shall revive again, again AND AGAIN!"
Valentin

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread (Latest Subbed Episode: 934)

Post by Valentin »

Has anyone watched yesterday’s first part of the cut-down Karasuma remaster?

As expected, they sped things up quite drastically. But it didn’t end there: because many scenes were much shorter, the music had to be altered as well, and since they really don’t want to (or may?) use the old songs any more, the result was a mixture of ’07 replacements, those which are considered to be from the good old times but came a bit later, and recent compositions. Toward the end, they even introduced a track from 2017’s Crimson Love Letter—in an episode from 2001.

It was a fairly bizarre experience, but not necessarily a bad one. I’m glad that at least some footage has received a visual upgrade, and I’m curious to see the other half in this kind of updated framework.
Spimer

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread (Latest Subbed Episode: 934)

Post by Spimer »

Yeah, I heard from Japanese fans about several scenes being cut (obviously) and which make scene transitions feel a bit odd in some places but once again, it's inevitable.
Swagnarok

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread (Latest Subbed Episode: 941)

Post by Swagnarok »

Latest Episode: 941, Search For Maria-chan Part 1
Spoiler:
I just have to say now, I really appreciate it when a long-running show respects its own canon. You have works that get really up there in age and then the only thing they have to play on is nostalgia for the first episode/season (*cough* Power Rangers *cough* Pokemon *cough*). Then you have works that move so fast that you can hardly remember anything in the middle. But then you have Detective Conan. A tortoise's race to the finish line, but you remember every major detail because you have time to take it all in, so when that guy from the early 300s and those two people from the 400s suddenly show up again in the OP you remember who they are and you're just the tiniest bit ecstatic inside.
Not sure what that had to do with anything. Anyways, this episode showcased the yawning gap in quality between the AOs and the manga-based cases. I enjoyed this case more than any since, well, the last manga case earlier this year. I thought Haibara sounded kind of funny or maybe that's just me. The scene from the beginning ripped off a scene from an earlier episode (the one where the DBs had to handle a burglary/kidnapping without Conan) but we the fans will eat it up all the same. I very much look forward to next week's conclusion.
P.S. I'm sure Maria-chan is dead and the episode will just end on that sour note without anything else of significance happening. Yup.
Adel34

Post by Adel34 »

This seems strange. It would've made more sense if this case aired right after the school trip case. At the beginning everything points to the events occurring right after Shinichi returned from the trip, but there were a few AOs in between. Now, I know it's not canon, but aren't AOs supposed to take into account all that happened in the manga? There was also another discrepancy - Mitsuhiko mentioned that they went on sun/moon/star trip before Haibara transferred, but anime-wise, this case aired long after she transferred.
Spimer

Post by Spimer »

AOs barely ever acknowledge the manga so as to not to mix up manga-based episodes and AOs.

It's happened before that we got a bunch of AOs between two cases in the manga that are back-to-back (Shuukichi's 2nd meijin match & case with scissors, cut glass and Subaru) but it was like all of the AO cases never happened. One of the issues with the current pacing of chapter publishing is that they have to leave big gaps between manga cases to avoid getting to close to current cases. AOs are just to fill the gaps and the writers of them don't necessarily know the order they will be aired in so they probably have no references.

It's possible that the anime staff forgot about the "change" they made to the Sun, Moon & Stars case or, to avoid further confusion, they used the dialogue from the manga as it was.
Adel34

Post by Adel34 »

I see, so that's how it is. Still, it's unfortunate that Manga cases and AOs can't co-exist. I mean it shouldn't be this difficult to implement AOs in a way they would make sense to happen between the Manga cases.
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

941 and 942 were pretty damn good. I rarely get sweaty from watching an anime, also the latest ending song is almost perfect.
Valentin

Re: Detective Conan Anime Discussion Thread (Latest Subbed Episode: 942)

Post by Valentin »

Simple question: Is anyone around here still watching the show? Regularly? Only manga adaptations? I’m genuinely curious.

After I’d been pretty excited for and satisfied with the two January specials, my interest evaporated almost completely, and while I did keep watching every week, I basically didn’t pay attention any more because, well, it’s anime originals, and I really don’t feel like having enough energy left to care about them. Although the most recent manga adaptation at least was able to make me think about an episode, I had to concede that a certain scene turned out to be even more underwhelming than it had been in the source material. And now, it looks like the next manga adaptation is two or even three months away, so I’m probably going to continue like this out of habit.

And, sure, I’m also asking because I noticed that kkslider5552000 hasn’t posted their usual reviews since Episode 932.
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

Doesn't seem to be the case which is a shame if people don't let others know if they ever manage to create stories like
Episode 184 Noroi no Kamen wa Tsumetaku Warau ("The Cursed Masks Laugh Coldly") on [AO scale 10/10]
Episodes 603-605, Koureikai W Misshitsu Jiken ("The Case of the Séance's Double Locked Room") [on AO scale 10/10]
Episodes 88-89 Dracula-Sou Satsujin Jiken ("The Villa Dracula Murder Case") [on AO scale 8/10]
Episode 208 Meikyuu he no Iriguchi - Kyodai Shinzou no Ikari ("The Entrance to the Maze: The Anger of the Giant Statue of the Heavenly Maiden")
Episodes 159-160, Kaiki Gojuutou Densetsu (The Legend of the Mysterious Five-Storied Pagoda) [on AO scale 7/10 like 208]
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

So.. The Red, White, Yellow, and the Detective Boys Case where Subaru (Bourbon Suspect 1/3) was introduced in episodes 509-510/files 622-624 is actually a pretty interesting case.
I paid attention to the short story and thought it'd just end up being a case where you have to know knowledge of Japanese because Conan gets a nickname Kuroshiro-kun in this case (The Black and White boy) but it's actually ridiculously layered. The case portion itself is between the beginning of the Bourbon story arc as Jodie calls Conan and informs of Bourbon, and the epilogue of the case with Subaru being introduced to Professor Agasa and then he gets to live in the Kudo residence right next door because Conan gives him the key to his apartment.

The case has no murders, it's an arsonist case of three suspects that all lived in the same apartment as the burnt victims (Kaito Sugiura and his father that are hospitalized) that claimed to be out all night, but the diary found in Kaito's burnt-down room reveals that his father fought with 'The Yellow Person/Mr. Yellow' who had been doing suspicious things every night. Conan and rest of the detective boys were supposed to investigate the suspicious person's doings because one of their elementary school classmates, Kaito, asked them to do that, but when the detective boys arrive at the residence the following morning, the entire apartment is in ruins with the three people who lived in the residence/the three suspects and Inspector Yuminaga along with other officers already on the scene.

The most impressive thing about this case are the way Gosho uses hints and clues. There are so many different clues and I missed like dozen of them. You can basically solve this case with logical thinking, picking up on clues, having knowledge on physical objects, paying attention to character statements, looking at journals, thinking whether something seems unnatural, using common sense... like wtf. Even the way the motive of the culprit came out was surprising since it's about not believing what someone claims. This case feels now completely different when I don't just look at it superficially but actually pay attention to it instead. Not to mention there are some cool hints towards the overarching story as well, which make this case worth re-reading or re-watching.

Btw I like that it's an arsonist case than just a murder case. Gives nice variety to this whole thing.
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Valentin wrote:Simple question: Is anyone around here still watching the show? Regularly? Only manga adaptations? I’m genuinely curious.

After I’d been pretty excited for and satisfied with the two January specials, my interest evaporated almost completely, and while I did keep watching every week, I basically didn’t pay attention any more because, well, it’s anime originals, and I really don’t feel like having enough energy left to care about them. Although the most recent manga adaptation at least was able to make me think about an episode, I had to concede that a certain scene turned out to be even more underwhelming than it had been in the source material. And now, it looks like the next manga adaptation is two or even three months away, so I’m probably going to continue like this out of habit.

And, sure, I’m also asking because I noticed that kkslider5552000 hasn’t posted their usual reviews since Episode 932.
I am still watching but like you not really having any energy to really try finding the good in the AOs. I did try though for a long while and thus kept coming back here to see kkslider5552000's comments to see if I missed a beat.

Last AO I ilked was the 1 Conan got kidnapped... I don't remember episode numbers and such, sorry. I am watching the AO's but really just waiting for the manga episodes... next 1 is 3 episodes long. I don't read the manga so for me those ones are still very good and worth waiting for... but I would not know if they messed up somehow without you, kkslider5552000 ;)

I don't know if this what you were looking for Valentin... but I tried. If a silent member like me can reply.... where are the rest of you? :)
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

Episode 933: The Thoroughbred Kidnapping Case (Part One)

-I hope one of these horses pulls an Epona and jumps over the stadium

-I wonder if Kogoro is secretly a fan of Uma Musume...

-I appreciate starting the Opening with MAJESTIC HORSE

-Also his mustaches was blatantly fake right? Like it seems like they weren't remotely being subtle...

-This is somehow one of the most suspicious things to happen in this series. What a bizarre, obviously not a coincidence.

-"I'm sorry guys, our editing program is busted and only allows one basic transition tool"

-You're right Conan, he needs to accept the same job at least two dozen times.

-...I'm increasingly confused on why all four of them need to hire him. Like in what situation would that be a necessary thing to do?

-"Something's not right" is it ever?

-Uh, I read the title, but I'm still surprised they kidnapped a horse. Horsenapped?

-Well if you're gonna kidnap a horse, might as well continue the kidnapping to get to that point.

-"it's a Sherlock Holmes story written by Conan Doyle" ...thanks for specifying the author...? I mean I say that, in a Detective Conan story NOT written by Gosho Aoyama

-Oh, I assumed street, I assumed it was obvious and then was immediately proven wrong.

-Ok now we just forgot to put in a transition at all.

-Oh wait there it is, but why didn't you even bother to transition before?

-Kogoro is competent today

Number of songs from 2007 soundtrack: 7
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55