Detective Conan Simulcasts by Crunchyroll: Now underway! Official English-subbed episodes!

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
Puto

Re: Detective Conan Simulcasts by Crunchyroll: The latest episodes English-subbed as they air in Japan!

Post by Puto »

Episode 754.

Before anyone asks, yes, they used the Japanese names, and the honorifics are intact. The translation looks pretty good from what I've seen so far!
usotsuki

Re: Detective Conan Simulcasts by Crunchyroll: The latest episodes English-subbed as they air in Japan!

Post by usotsuki »

The CR sub of 754 is everything we could have hoped for.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke
Kor
Administrator

Post by Kor »

All in all, this was pretty good. Good thing they didn't start to stream from the middle of the case.
I wonder if they only released it now because when they announced simulcast, it was really close to the original airdate, so they didn't have time. Hopefully we'll get both the latest episode soon, and the next one after it airs in Japan in Saturday.

I'll use the 2 weeks free period, and then probably make an account, cause 1080P.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

A summary of what's on the table can be found here on the main website. As for my thoughts:

Having Conan in 1080p is pretty insane. I honestly didn't expect that; it looks really crisp. Having the episodes come from masters without the on-screen warnings ("Sit back from your TV or die") is also quite nice. Puto took a quick 720p screenshot that illustrates how crisp the Crunchyroll videos really are. Mouseover it see the Crunchyroll version, which is mighty impressive.

The subtitles retaining the honorifics, Japanese names, and the episodes retaining the episode order while being completely serviceable in the translation department--we really can't ask for anything more than that. Very nice job by the Crunchyroll team and more than good enough for what the series needs going forward.

As an aside, feel free to show your support for the show and demonstrate that there is an audience out there for it by writing a quick review for the series itself on CR's website.
Kor
Administrator

Re: Detective Conan Simulcasts by Crunchyroll: Now underway! Official English-subbed episodes!

Post by Kor »

Theoretically speaking, yesterday they should have already had episode 755 up for premium members?

Regardless, can't really blame them for taking their time. DC probably requires much more attention than the average show.

I wonder if in the future we can maybe have an interview of sort with their translators and see what they think of the series and/or their struggles and/or how much they knew of the show beforehand and/or how much research they had to do, etc.
viva_cmpunker

Re: Detective Conan Simulcasts by Crunchyroll: Now underway! Official English-subbed episodes!

Post by viva_cmpunker »

I messaged the brand manager and she says for now the simulcast will be a week behind the Japanese broadcast for both premium and free users, and they're working on reducing the gap.
KaitoHedgehog

Post by KaitoHedgehog »

The subs are really good, but the only thing that I'd like to add to them is English and Romaji subs in the Openings and Ending like DCTP did. But overall, I'm so glad we could finally enjoy Detective Conan Legally.
aly_angelflight
Get that squirrel!

Post by aly_angelflight »

KaitoHedgehog wrote:the only thing that I'd like to add to them is English and Romaji subs in the Openings and Ending
Apparently getting the license to the lyrics is such a hassle that CR usually doesn't subtitle songs outside of idol anime. :-X
"I suppose he could have changed. I myself have noticed my growing resemblance to a daffodil.”
3DS Friend Code: 2723-9258-9521
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

aly_angelflight wrote:
KaitoHedgehog wrote:the only thing that I'd like to add to them is English and Romaji subs in the Openings and Ending
Apparently getting the license to the lyrics is such a hassle that CR usually doesn't subtitle songs outside of idol anime. :-X
Ahh, is that why? :V
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no
kholoudsafir

Post by kholoudsafir »

Jd- wrote:
Each episode will be available to view for free one week after airing. If you are a member of their site, you will be able to watch at the same time as the Japanese airings. The English subtitled versions are only advertised as being available for viewers in the United States and Canada, but they would be available to anyone using any capable region-altering web browsing tool. As such, if you are not from North America, don't panic: Relax, and enjoy this, as it is a very, very good thing for you as well.

Please, everyone: Give your support to Crunchyroll and their efforts to bring the latest Conan to everyone. More details should be available very soon, but in the meantime, get ready to start watching Conan simulcast--in English!
Could you please explain the bold part :-[ :-[ you know I am from the old generation so I do not get these technical things or you need to translate them into British terms ( I mean I might know it by a different name) :-[ :-[
Every time I want to give up on DC, it manages to bring me back, it brings me back feelings I know that I will never ever feel or live again.
darkest absol

Post by darkest absol »

kholoudsafir wrote:
Jd- wrote:
Each episode will be available to view for free one week after airing. If you are a member of their site, you will be able to watch at the same time as the Japanese airings. The English subtitled versions are only advertised as being available for viewers in the United States and Canada, but they would be available to anyone using any capable region-altering web browsing tool. As such, if you are not from North America, don't panic: Relax, and enjoy this, as it is a very, very good thing for you as well.

Please, everyone: Give your support to Crunchyroll and their efforts to bring the latest Conan to everyone. More details should be available very soon, but in the meantime, get ready to start watching Conan simulcast--in English!
Could you please explain the bold part :-[ :-[ you know I am from the old generation so I do not get these technical things or you need to translate them into British terms ( I mean I might know it by a different name) :-[ :-[
There are special websites you can use to get past CR's region blocking. I've never used one, but it seems that they let you change your region to whichever one is appropriate. Then again, I've never used one, so don't take my word for it.
Spoiler: Secret Santa 2014 (Thanks, Fujiwara!)
Spoiler: Secret Santa 2015 (Thanks, Raiden!)
Spoiler: A surprise Christmas gift from cinnamoroll
viva_cmpunker

Post by viva_cmpunker »

kholoudsafir wrote:
Jd- wrote:

You can use a software called Hotspot Shield where it lets you change your region. Some sites have found countermeasures to this software like vizmanga.com where you can't login to your account, but it still works for me with Crunchyroll.
usotsuki

Post by usotsuki »

Jecka wrote:
aly_angelflight wrote:
Ahh, is that why? :V
I've heard Mendinso (of M-L) claim as much but I don't know for a fact.

It's my only fault with their Conan sub.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke
kholoudsafir

Post by kholoudsafir »

Thank you everyone I get the idea now :D
Every time I want to give up on DC, it manages to bring me back, it brings me back feelings I know that I will never ever feel or live again.
Juzagal

Post by Juzagal »

I sent you a pm @kholoudsafir ^^
Thanks to cinnamoroll~~~ ^^^^^
Spoiler:
Just from Hime-chan (DCTP Lottery II : Secret Santa 2011) ^_^
Spoiler:
Thanks to PhoenixTears (Secret Santa 2015)