Detective Conan Simulcasts by Crunchyroll: Now underway! Official English-subbed episodes!

Post any Detective Conan news, events, questions, and the like about the anime, manga, movies, or OVAs that don't belong elsewhere here.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Detective Conan Simulcasts by Crunchyroll: Now underway! Official English-subbed episodes!

Post by Jd- »

DETECTIVE CONAN SIMULCASTS HAVE BEGUN. CLICK HERE FOR THE DETAILS AND GET WATCHING HERE.

As announced by Crunchyroll, they will now stream Detective Conan/Case Closed with English subtitles at the same time as the Japanese airings:
One of the announcements from Crunchyroll's NYCC panel this morning was the addition of Case Closed, AKA Great Detective Conan. More information is coming, but for now you can get ready to add more whoddunnits to your weeks in the future with simulcast episodes of the long-running mystery anime.

Case Closed will be available in the United States and Canada.

Based on the Weekly Shonen Sunday manga by Gosho Aoyama—which has been serialized since 1994, racking up 85 volumes and counting along the way—the Case Closed anime series has quite the history behind it. It's been running since 1996, and soon you'll be able to catch the latest episodes on Crunchyroll.
"But, what does this mean for me?"

Crunchyroll will be providing the latest episodes of Detective Conan to view subtitled in English at the time they air in Japan. This is the first time this has happened, after having been requested for years and years. They have not yet announced the specific details, such as if the backlog of any past episodes will be included.

Each episode will be available to view for free one week after airing. If you are a member of their site, you will be able to watch at the same time as the Japanese airings. The English subtitled versions are only advertised as being available for viewers in the United States and Canada, but they would be available to anyone using any capable region-altering web browsing tool. As such, if you are not from North America, don't panic: Relax, and enjoy this, as it is a very, very good thing for you as well.

Please, everyone: Give your support to Crunchyroll and their efforts to bring the latest Conan to everyone. More details should be available very soon, but in the meantime, get ready to start watching Conan simulcast--in English!
Kor
Administrator

Re: Detective Conan getting simulcast

Post by Kor »

Originally wrote this a few days ago in the "What's on your mind" thread after CR didn't announce anything about MK:
Kor wrote: I wonder if CR hates us or something...
I guess they don't hate us after all XD

I do wonder how this will all be executed (quality of subs, which episode they'll start with, etc.)
Conan5

Post by Conan5 »

....I-I don't know how I should respond to this. I mean, I'm not from U.S or Canada but this makes me wanna cry. It was a dream to see Detective Conan getting simulcast in a major platform. CR, I just wish you could find some way around the region restriction but whatever. Thank you for this. <3
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature. :p
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

October is officially the best month 8-)
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no
Puto

Post by Puto »

(16:42) <Jing> BLUESUN
(16:42) <Jing> PUTO
(16:43) <Jing> DUDES
(16:43) <Jing> GUYS
(16:43) <Jing> WAKE UP
(16:43) <Jing> BLUESUN
(16:43) <Jing> PUTO
(16:43) <Jing> http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... simulcasts
(16:43) <Jing> http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... simulcasts
(16:44) <Jing> http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... simulcasts
(16:44) <Jing> THIS IS NOT A DRILL
(16:45) <Puto> holy...
(16:45) <Jing> sddsdsasfsdgdf
(16:45) <Jing> af
(16:45) <Jing> rd
(16:45) <Jing> a
(16:45) <Jing> had
(16:45) <Jing> had
(16:45) <Jing> ha
(16:45) * Puto explodes
(16:45) <Jing> BREAK OUT THE HARD STUFF
(16:45) <Jing> WE'RE GETTING WASTED
(16:45) <Jing> QUICK, BEFORE IT'S NOON
(16:48) <bluesun> :O
(17:07) <Jing> Dude Puto
(17:08) <Jing> Just post that log as a news post
(17:08) <Jing> xD

This is the most appropriate reaction.
Raiden
There is a world of imagination
Deep in the corners of your mind
Where reality is an intruder
And myth and legend thrive

Post by Raiden »

* Raiden bakes a cake to celebrate the crunchy good news \o/
“Tea is the magic key to the vault where my brain is kept.” ― Frances Hardinge
“If you are cold, tea will warm you;
if you are too heated, it will cool you;
If you are depressed, it will cheer you;
If you are excited, it will calm you.”
― William Ewart Gladstone

alicetama
shsl kawaii

Post by alicetama »

I… really… I must say, I almost screamed when I saw this. will offer more thoughts later.
Why? You never win the cursed war.
Wakarimashita

Post by Wakarimashita »

Good news for Conan's popularity. I'll wait to see the quality of their subs and especially which names they use.
"I wonder if there really is a God...
If such an entity really existed, wouldn't all honest, hard-working people be happy?"

Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

Wakarimashita wrote:Good news for Conan's popularity. I'll wait to see the quality of their subs and especially which names they use.
I hadn't even thought of that; too busy being caught up in the hype. I imagine that, for their sanity, they won't be sticking with the dub names. I wouldn't think they'd be trying to keep that going on a simulcast schedule.
Puto

Post by Puto »

It's unlikely. Never seen a Crunchy simulcast using dubfied names, even for long-established franchises like Digimon, and all official subtitles I've seen for Conan—the FUNimation DVDs, their streams, the UTB subs—have always used the original names, so I don't see that changing.
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

Wakarimashita wrote:Good news for Conan's popularity. I'll wait to see the quality of their subs and especially which names they use.
I wouldn't have guessed that DC's English popularity was worth the money to sub every week. Good news though, and I hope it brings more people into the fandom. They have their work cut out for them though if they think they can push a subbed episode out an hour after it airs; Conan is both verbose and heavy on the specialized terms.

It seems Crunchyroll has a 14 day free trial period and then it's $12USD a month. That works out to about $3.20USD per episode if you only watch DC episodes.

I wonder if subbing outfits like CR look at fansubs or wikis to get an idea of the terminology conventions?
Puto

Post by Puto »

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
Wakarimashita wrote:They have their work cut out for them though if they think they can push a subbed episode out an hour after it airs.
They get the episodes in advance to translate from, obviously.
Chekhov MacGuffin
Community Scholar
BAGA BGEGD EDBDEG A

Post by Chekhov MacGuffin »

Puto wrote:
Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:They have their work cut out for them though if they think they can push a subbed episode out an hour after it airs.
They get the episodes in advance to translate from, obviously.
... I didn't even think about that. :P It's convenient to be official!
Last edited by Chekhov MacGuffin on October 10th, 2014, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randompi314159
Someone call Captain Obvious?

Post by randompi314159 »

I...did not see this coming. I had to triple take when I saw the news on my newsfeed earlier. This is amazing!
3DS FC: 4081-5522-0164

kkuuddoo

Post by kkuuddoo »

I still don't get it, what good about this news ???
GIN X SHIHO <3<3<3
VERMOUTH IS SEXY AS HELL !!

Elena Miyano and Atsushi ..... APTX 4869 & Silver Bullet