Mafia! Mafia! Mafia! Character Role Discussions

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
pofa
Community Savior
Armchair sorcerey

Re: Mafia! Mafia! Mafia! Character Role Discussions

Post by pofa »

Looks like I'm going to be GM'ing next; are there any issues we need to talk about first? :)

I've looked at the things PT mentioned after her round and I think with regard to the sleeping pill debate, it might be a good idea to leave it unlimited use, but have a "no doing it to the same person twice (or more than twice?) in a row" rule--like frighten (and unlike discombob), it's a "phase before" action and thus more difficult to stop, but it's also a day action, so it's more difficult to track even than frighten is. If you're getting tricked every night, it's going to be easier to get some allies to help you track down and put a stop to that than it is getting sleeping pill'd each day (and neither is any fun :P)
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior
*punches Akonyl*

Post by Kleene Onigiri »

How about "not more than 2 in a row"? Like I said that could be a problem otherwise when you need to trick someone (like lovers)?
Keyhole drawn by Yuri Iwamoto <3
Spoiler: Secret Santa gift from Commi-Ninja <3
A Black Organization Christmas Carol (need to fix the link)
3DS Friend Code: 4141 3202 3514

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
PT
Community Mad Scientist
to cammel's bav we go!

Post by PT »

No more than twice in a row sounds fair.
pofa wrote: I have never done a single thing wrong in mafia, never one lie or act of violence
pofa
Community Savior
Armchair sorcerey

Post by pofa »

Vermouth, Mafia Disguiser

Auto-Prep Action: Disguise
Night/Day Action: Depends on disguise
Day Action: White Suitcase

At the end of Prep Phase, Vermouth will be presented with a disguise of the GM's choosing. She will be disguised from the start of Night 1. She will not have a choice about this.

Each 2 Day phases, however, Vermouth has the option to forfeit her disguise for 2 phases in exchange for the White Suitcase. If she chooses to do so, she will PM the GM during the Day Phase asking for the white Suitcase, and the GM will assign her a White Suitcase action(s) for the following Night Phase. During that phase and the following Day phase, Vermouth will not be disguised and her stats (Interrogation, observe/stalk, items, etc) will revert to their non-disguised state during that time.

Example: Vermouth is disguised as Shinichi on N1. On D1, she elects to forfeit her disguise for the White Suitcase. The GM gives her the "Observe/SO" action from the suitcase, and she may use that action on N2. For N2-D2, Vermouth is not in disguise. Starting N3, her Shinichi disguise and disguised stats are back and she loses the White Suitcase action. She may forfeit her disguise again at the end of D3 for a new White Suitcase action to use on N4, but she will be disguised again for the duration of N3-D3 first.

Of course, Vermouth does not have to do this if she doesn't want to; she can use her disguise the whole game if she wants. I thought it might help her not be a "worse" anokata though, since she would be able to possibly blend better and also avoid arrests on certain phases if she knows they're coming. Thoughts?
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
Stopwatch

Post by Stopwatch »

Let me just necro this thread of two years past :V.

Thoughts following round 69:
- Kogorou's current action may need changing if the role is kept. We have a lot of protector-types already. Possibly a modified interrogator, which would be in-line with his old role and also mean an adult interrogator to shield Eri/Kujou. Not sure yet.

- Yamamura wasn't exactly trialed but I liked the possibility that he could basically preserve a will if it was thought someone would die anyway. It has potential.

- This is more throwing a thought out there than something that's had thought put into it, but with the number of timezone issues we had with a small game, would lengthening phases help to counter this? Or would it mean that people would have to commit more of their time to the game?

- It's been suggested to make it so Sonoko can't be in games under 15 players. I'm okay with that either way because GM's discretion (I'd probably put 10 as the absolute minimum?) but think that there should probably be a limit on lovers for sure. Something like 18? So if Yumi was in a 16 player game lovers wouldn't be an option.
Terry Pratchett wrote: The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
bash7353 wrote:I kind of always assumed that Haneda's parents might've had names.
Spoiler: Box full of stuff
Write a Will
Some year's SS by Abs. :D
DCW SS from Anime Girl 4 Eva]
Thanks, cinna ^^
Image[/spoiler]
blurfbreg

Post by blurfbreg »

Round 76:
There is a "serial killer" on the loose in this round. The ratio for randomizing is as follows:
1:5 for BO:Total players. BO chosen to have more investigative powers for story purpose (and to reduce the number of crimes committed in total in response to less police presence). This led to 1:4 for non-Town:Total Player.
1:1:2 for Police:Agents:Civs
Civs were mostly supports instead of investigative.
Serial killer = Agent
Despite odds against BO, they won.

Guard (a mix of stake-out and protect) seemed like a good idea and is possibly useful, but didn't get to see its effects in play (which was on a bribed kill). sigh

Shadowman needs some changing to make it so that it's easy to suspect him/her/it (which I know is going to be done for Round 77).
Sleep tight; Don't let the bedbugs bite.
glowEmma

Post by glowEmma »

too much bad characters in it
glowEmma

Post by glowEmma »

MOre than 40 people have to enjoy the fun in Mafia
Lissa

Post by Lissa »

Hi!

Last year MoonRaven represented DCTP in the Mafia Championship, a large cross-community event that this year will feature 150 communities.

I'd like to again extend this community an invitation to participate, and I'm hoping someone might be interested in being DCTP's representative this season? :)

Invitation/more information is included below!

----

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 7)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 7 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 150 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 27, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
  • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
2. SEASON 7 FORMAT

The tournament structure
  • 150 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • QUALIFIERS: 10 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
  • SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 6 will select 25 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
  • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 7 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
This year’s setup: JOAT^2
The setup is called JOAT^2 and features 15 players.

The setup consists of the following:

3x Mafia Goon
2x Town Jack Of All Trades (9x Doctor, 9x Motion Detector, 9x Tracker)
10x Vanilla Townie

Note that the Jacks Of All Trades must use all three actions before repeating an action, i.e. they are rotating. This does not mean they must use the actions in the same order every time.

Relevant mechanics info
- Day start.
- Majority lynch is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point in order to lynch.
- Tied votes will result in a player being lynched at random from among the tied players.
- No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
- Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
- Thread is locked during Night Phases.
- Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
- Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, roleblocked, etc. (In this setup, that means they display as an action to the Tracker and the Motion Detector actions.)
- Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia faction kill is mandatory.
- Mafia may communicate at any time.
- Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
- The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals roles automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 7 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from late April to mid-June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Lissa#8083).

Kind regards,
Lissa
Lissa

Post by Lissa »

Anyone who might be interested in participating for DCTP this year? :(