Espionage - Round Nine - The Spy escapes

The home to DCTP Forum Mafia as well as any other type of random forum game that you can conjure up.
Iwamoto Yuri
SPARKLES

Re: Espionage - Round Nine - The Spy escapes

Post by Iwamoto Yuri »

Might be best. As things are now, just accusing people at the end gets the players nowhere.
3DS Friend Code: 1564-5101-4615
Yuri gets advice from little fairies, and is thereby not held responsible for any stupid action
pixiv | etsy | livestream
The Doctor wrote:There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
The Doctor wrote:Remember: Hate is always foolish, and love is always wise.
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior
*punches Akonyl*

Post by Kleene Onigiri »

How about the detective could also share his results with one person he chooses? That person can be civilian, informant or spy.
That way, if a civilian get's the info, he could spread it to others in the thread (XYZ is not a civilian according to the info I got etc.), especially once the detective dies.
But since there is no proof that that person really got this info, informant and spy can pretend to have information too.
Of course, if the spy get's the info, he'll also know that this person isn't the detective.

Could make it a bit easier for civilians but wouldn't be overpowered?
Keyhole drawn by Yuri Iwamoto <3
Spoiler: Secret Santa gift from Commi-Ninja <3
A Black Organization Christmas Carol (need to fix the link)
3DS Friend Code: 4141 3202 3514

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
dumytru

Post by dumytru »

Kleene Onigiri wrote:How about the detective could also share his results with one person he chooses? That person can be civilian, informant or spy.
That way, if a civilian get's the info, he could spread it to others in the thread (XYZ is not a civilian according to the info I got etc.), especially once the detective dies.
But since there is no proof that that person really got this info, informant and spy can pretend to have information too.
Of course, if the spy get's the info, he'll also know that this person isn't the detective.

We can try this for the next round. Is everyone okay with it?
shinichi'sapprentice wrote:dumytru hasn't acted very 'evil-like', but that's his specialty though...
dumytru's Karaoke Project!
Nemomon
This is my melody and it's just the raver's fantasy

Post by Nemomon »

I will write more once Im home.
My dad’s a soldier blue I’ll be a soldier, too
When I grow older you will see me rescue you
I’ll teach you this old song so you can sing along
When I am dead and gone the day won’t be so long.
Stopwatch

Post by Stopwatch »

dumytru wrote:
Kleene Onigiri wrote:How about the detective could also share his results with one person he chooses? That person can be civilian, informant or spy.

Whilst in theory the Spy and/or Informant could fake it in practice it would be suicide because the actual Civilian who got the result would just announce theirs and the Spy and/or Informant would look really bad for having faked it. If the Spy and/or Informant got the actual result they would also have to probably announce it or risk coming under fire from the Detective who knows who they gave the info to. So all that happens is that a player is proven a phase and a Spy knows that that player isn't the Detective. Though if the Detective can choose not to share the info the person who announces the stuff *could* still be Detective.
Terry Pratchett wrote: The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
bash7353 wrote:I kind of always assumed that Haneda's parents might've had names.
Spoiler: Box full of stuff
Write a Will
Some year's SS by Abs. :D
DCW SS from Anime Girl 4 Eva]
Thanks, cinna ^^
Image[/spoiler]
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior
*punches Akonyl*

Post by Kleene Onigiri »

Stopwatch wrote:
dumytru wrote:

Whilst in theory the Spy and/or Informant could fake it in practice it would be suicide because the actual Civilian who got the result would just announce theirs and the Spy and/or Informant would look really bad for having faked it. If the Spy and/or Informant got the actual result they would also have to probably announce it or risk coming under fire from the Detective who knows who they gave the info to. So all that happens is that a player is proven a phase and a Spy knows that that player isn't the Detective. Though if the Detective can choose not to share the info the person who announces the stuff *could* still be Detective.
They still could do that tho. While very risky for the spy, the informant can do that. Let's say the detective survived 3 phases, so there would be 3 infos. But 4 people claim info on people. If you know the informant it would be easy (with lists revealed it's easier I guess). Otherwise not so much.

Maybe, so that not 1 person get's all the info from the detective, you could make it like that: Detective uses investigate and names the 3 people. He get's told who's not a spy. Randomly one of the other 2 that were on the investigate also get that info. Since people can't be more than 2 times in the investigation, it would hinder that someone get's all the info.
Maybe also set a limit on how often it get's shared (like, not more than halve the number of people playing?). And the detective could also choose not to share the info I guess.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
dumytru

Post by dumytru »

What if the Detective can chose not to share? So he won't share any info Day 1, he'll clear a civilian, then he can share future results with the players he already knows are civilians.

And I'm not sure why the civilians who receive the result must share it in the forums. They could share the result only if a proven civilian is about to be lynched, or if they themselves are about to be lynched (even if they can't avoid their own lynch, they can clear another civilian).
It'd be somewhat a meta-game. Everybody knows there's a player who has a result, and if nobody's saying anything, then the lynch target isn't a proven civilian.
Because this info is kept secret (unless it's needed to be revealed), the informant could actually "fake" receiving a result.
shinichi'sapprentice wrote:dumytru hasn't acted very 'evil-like', but that's his specialty though...
KaitoRizu

Post by KaitoRizu »

I didn't say anything earlier because I felt that I don't know the game well enough but since I was playing as the detective there was one thing I though of as a disadvantage for detective and civilians:
reading the rules of the game I knew that if the spy found me, the detective, and killed me the game would be really close to ending in favor of the spy... the civilians have random lists and the spy have a chance of appearing on them so they can't be used to clearing people so I can't claim "he's not the spy because he's on my list"... I'd have info to clear people but I couldn't share those because the spy would find me...

because of that I agree to Kleene's suggestion but I also have a slightly different suggestion (feel free to ignore it if it's not good... I don't know the game well enough after all...):
how about having the results of the detective's investigate of each day sent to two randomly chosen players (could be civilian, informant, or spy) each turn, leaving three people with the info (the detective and the two who received the results)
one of the three could share the info in the open without the identity of the detective getting revealed... even if the spy received the results and kept them hidden there would still be two others to share the info...
I don't think it's overpowered because in case the info was shared recklessly it could help the spy at least narrow out the detective's identity...
So... how about that?

(that underline and bold don't look very good XD but I'm too lazy to change and test what would look better :P )
*is too used to coding using "<>" and doesn't want to keep changing them to "[]" XD*
Thanks for the SS Kamite! ;D
Spoiler:
dumytru

Post by dumytru »

KaitoRizu wrote:I didn't say anything earlier because I felt that I don't know the game well enough but since I was playing as the detective there was one thing I though of as a disadvantage for detective and civilians:
reading the rules of the game I knew that if the spy found me, the detective, and killed me the game would be really close to ending in favor of the spy... the civilians have random lists and the spy have a chance of appearing on them so they can't be used to clearing people so I can't claim "he's not the spy because he's on my list"... I'd have info to clear people but I couldn't share those because the spy would find me...

because of that I agree to Kleene's suggestion but I also have a slightly different suggestion (feel free to ignore it if it's not good... I don't know the game well enough after all...):
how about having the results of the detective's investigate of each day sent to two randomly chosen players (could be civilian, informant, or spy) each turn, leaving three people with the info (the detective and the two who received the results)
one of the three could share the info in the open without the identity of the detective getting revealed... even if the spy received the results and kept them hidden there would still be two others to share the info...
I don't think it's overpowered because in case the info was shared recklessly it could help the spy at least narrow out the detective's identity...
So... how about that?

(that underline and bold don't look very good XD but I'm too lazy to change and test what would look better :P )
*is too used to coding using "<>" and doesn't want to keep changing them to "[]" XD*
Any suggestion is welcome \o/
In the first phases, if would be okay, but it might be overpowered as the game goes on.
This *might* be good because we could balance the game in a different way. In the first phases the Spy has the advantage, and loses it over time.
But we need to make sure it's still possible for the Spy to win if the game is long.

Let's assume there are 13 players and we're in day 4.
In best case scenario, the Detective can clear 4 players. If they Spy killed every phase and somebody was lynched as well, there'd be 5 players left. Including Spy and Detective.
If alive civilians have been cleared, and the players who received the investigation results are alive, then the Spy doesn't stand a chance. Though we could argue that if the Spy didn't manage to kill the Detective and there are 5 players remaining, he should be at disadvantage.
In most games, the cleared players/players who receive the results would be dead though.

Sending the results to two players might be overpowered.

I wonder which is better, let the Detective chose the player who'll receive the results, or it's chosen randomly.
I'm thinking letting the Detective should chose that, because it would give him more control over the game flow (imagine the case where the Detective can avoid sending results to a players who's about to get lynched).
bash7353
部下の手柄は上司のもの
上司の失敗は部下の責任

Post by bash7353 »

This sounds all very interesting. I like the ideas so far. I guess the best way is to try it out and see what happens.

I think it would be better to let the Detective decide who receives the results. Whether or not to publish them then is up to the player. Players can also decide to pretend they received results which means we never know if someone who claims to have cleared someone is actually telling the truth. I would advocate a rule which says you can't send it to the same person twice, but you can choose to give it to no one as often as you want. Perhaps even that once you can give it to the game master to be revealed at phase change.
"Vad ska jag annars vara?" - "Det vet jag inte. Det måste du svara på. Men om du släpper allt du tror att du måste, och frågar dig vad du vill... Vad vill du då?"
描いた夢は叶わないことの方が多い
秀れた人を羨んでは自分が嫌になる
浅い眠りに押し潰されそう夜もある
優しい隣人が陰で牙を向いていたり

惰性で観てたテレビ消すみたいに生きることを時々辞めたくなる

人生は苦痛ですか 成功が全てですか
僕はあなたにあなたに ただ逢いたいだけ
信じたい嘘 効かない薬 帰れないサヨナラ
叫べ叫べ叫べ   逢いたいだけ
Kamite
Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.

Post by Kamite »

So whens the next round?
dumytru

Post by dumytru »

Kamite wrote:So whens the next round?
I'm going to be quite busy this month, so I don't know when I'll be able to implement any changes to the rules.
But we can have another round anytime (with the current rules).
Kleene Onigiri
Community Rice Warrior
*punches Akonyl*

Post by Kleene Onigiri »

Alternative to the detectives results: it has a 50% chance that it will go to another person (whether the detective can choose the person or it's a random one out of the 3 people he chose to investigate).
That way people can't know how many shared results there are and the informant has a bit easier to fake one.
Bad point: Randomness. Randomness is always a bit risky and stuff in games so~

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Giff holidays
bash7353
部下の手柄は上司のもの
上司の失敗は部下の責任

Post by bash7353 »

I don't think I really like the idea of introducting chance to the game like that. What we could do is let the Detective share the result only once every two phases. That would result in a similar situation as the 50% probability suggestion, I think.
"Vad ska jag annars vara?" - "Det vet jag inte. Det måste du svara på. Men om du släpper allt du tror att du måste, och frågar dig vad du vill... Vad vill du då?"
描いた夢は叶わないことの方が多い
秀れた人を羨んでは自分が嫌になる
浅い眠りに押し潰されそう夜もある
優しい隣人が陰で牙を向いていたり

惰性で観てたテレビ消すみたいに生きることを時々辞めたくなる

人生は苦痛ですか 成功が全てですか
僕はあなたにあなたに ただ逢いたいだけ
信じたい嘘 効かない薬 帰れないサヨナラ
叫べ叫べ叫べ   逢いたいだけ