Does 'Shounen Tantei-dan' Really Translate to 'Detective Boys'?

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
Forever_A_Phantom

Does 'Shounen Tantei-dan' Really Translate to 'Detective Boys'?

Post by Forever_A_Phantom »

The part I'm asking about is 'Shounen'. I was under the impression that shounen (少年) was like the word 'guys' in English, and 'niños' and 'chicos' in Spanish, that is, words that can refer to strictly boys or a mixed group of boys and girls. An example of this use in Japanese would be the National Institution for Youth Education or 独立行政法人 国立青少年教育振興機構 (website: http://www.niye.go.jp/).

So should we really be saying 'Detective Kids' or something?
Last edited by Forever_A_Phantom on September 25th, 2013, 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
dumytru

Re: Does 'Shounen Tantei' Radlly Translate to 'Detective Boys'?

Post by dumytru »

Um, 'shounen' literally means 'boy', but it also can be used as 'young'.

When you go meet a group of boys and girls, do you say "Hello, boys and girls!" or "Hello, guys!"?
Both work, even though 'guys' isn't meant for girls.

So, no! "Detective Boys" is a good translation.
shinichi'sapprentice wrote:dumytru hasn't acted very 'evil-like', but that's his specialty though...
dumytru's Karaoke Project!
usotsuki

Post by usotsuki »

inb4 Junior Detective League (a more direct translation and one actually used in Catalan and probably other dubs).
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. Arthur C. Clarke
b8ajenai
'lr;emkjkg

Post by b8ajenai »

dumytru wrote:Um, 'shounen' literally means 'boy', but it also can be used as 'young'.
As "proof" of that, there's at least one time when Kudo is called shounan tantei, because he's a young detective. I don't remember which case, precisely.
Forever_A_Phantom

Re: Does 'Shounen Tantei' Really Translate to 'Detective Boys'?

Post by Forever_A_Phantom »

dumytru wrote:Um, 'shounen' literally means 'boy', but it also can be used as 'young'.

When you go meet a group of boys and girls, do you say "Hello, boys and girls!" or "Hello, guys!"?
Both work, even though 'guys' isn't meant for girls.

So, no! "Detective Boys" is a good translation.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. 'Boys' is not a gender-neutral term, while 'shounen' is, in this case. Shouldn't we use a similarly matching gender-neutral term for young people?

On a side note, I've always understood 'guys' to be just like 'shounen' in that it is used for a mixed group or for a group of men only.
usotsuki wrote:inb4 Junior Detective League (a more direct translation and one actually used in Catalan and probably other dubs).
Yes, that is what is used in the English dub. I just don't like how they use the word 'league' for 'dan'; sounds a bit cheesy to me =)
Freyr
And then there were none....

Re: Does 'Shounen Tantei-dan' Really Translate to 'Detective Boys'?

Post by Freyr »

There are few truly gender neutral pronouns in general for English. People, kids, folks... that sort. Nothing spectacularly specific.

However most masculine terms are "soft," meaning they can be read as either gender-restrictive or gender-inclusive based on context/motivation. Man is used to refer to males true, as well as (hu)man(kind), which is male and female. You can say guys and mean both males and females. "Alright boys, let's get to work," can also express general neutral standings. Standouts against this are singular terms like "he/him--simply because we are expected to be precise when dealing with a single entity.

Females however get the unique terms, as "gals," "women," "ladies," "girls," etc all refer exclusively to groups of females (of course baring sarcasm or insult) virtually universally.

In the case of Shounen, it can be generally used to mean "youth," but has the a masculine undertone, making it's closet translation "boy." But again, "boy" is distinct from "boys," but since Japanese lacks plurals, it can be used a little more openly.
"Rule through fear of force rather than force itself" - Tarkin Doctrine
"[It] is much safer to be feared than loved" - Nicolo Machiavelli
Most Convoluted DC theory?
Commi-Ninja

Post by Commi-Ninja »

Basically what Freyr said.

It doesn't help that English isn't very inflected.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, consider this:
French - English:
Je suis - I am
Tu es - You are
Il/Elle est - He/She/It is
Nous sommes - We are
Vous etes - You (plural) are
Ils/Elles sont - Them/They are
3DS FC: 4699-5851-2068
I might wake up early and go running. I also might wake up and win the lottery. The odds are about the same.
Zenthisoror

Post by Zenthisoror »

From my experience, I've found that 'shounen' does not really translate into 'guys'.
It is quite a gendered term, so if somebody pointed at a group of girls and said something like, "Asoko ni iru shounentachi ni kiite mireba?" it would be very, very strange.
You might see it used in terms of 'youths', but only when referring to boys mixed in with girls.

The literal translation of Junior Detective League works really well, so kudos to whoever came up with that.

On the whole, I'd love it if they referenced Sherlock Holmes and called them something like the Beika Irregulars, but I can only dream of the possibilities.
Puto

Post by Puto »

Well, James Black did call them the 'Irregulars' in his first appearance.