Best/worst dubbed anime series

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
pofa
Community Savior
Armchair sorcerey

Best/worst dubbed anime series

Post by pofa »

Language of your choice.

One of the best: Yu Yu Hakusho (English). Back when Funimation remembered what fun was.

One of the worst: Mirage of Blaze (English). Hysterical. XD The dude that dubbed Kenshin also voices a main guy here, but whereas the Kenshin dub is kind of ingratiatingly bad, this is just plain awful. The theme song is a special treat.

Just wanted to see what people's opinions are.
Last edited by pofa on March 19th, 2013, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
Vylash

Re: Best/worst dubbed anime series

Post by Vylash »

one piece, sailor moon, and cardcaptor sakura have 3 of the worst dubs i've ever heard

dbz, yuyu hakusho, fairy tail, inuyasha,  naruto, the first 2 seasons of pokemon, and sonic x have some of the best
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

Worst: CCS

Best: Hmm...probably Furoba or Kodocha
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no
pofa
Community Savior
Armchair sorcerey

Post by pofa »

Jecka wrote: Worst: CCS

Best: Hmm...probably Furoba or Kodocha
Huh, I didn't like the Kodocha dub (assuming you mean the English one). It was too shrill, which tends to work less well with English VAs than it can with Japanese ones.

CCS was not good by any means, but I was more offended by the censorship than the voice acting. :P (Again, assuming English)

And the first two seasons of pokemon are wonderful.
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
Jecka
I'm only tired 25/8, don't mind me

Post by Jecka »

pofa wrote: CCS was not good by any means, but I was more offended by the censorship than the voice acting. :P (Again, assuming English)
I agree completely.

D: There was no love!
3DS FC: 1435-4098-2557
Spoiler: Yay Nini! \o/
Usa-chan Man wrote: I am a rabbit, but at the same time, I am not.
Jecka: Those damn beavers
*Jecka sobs
Slider: Those DAM beavers? :V
Jecka: Slider no
SirSigma
The Human

Post by SirSigma »

Worst dubbed series?

The 4Kids version of One Piece. No question.
pofa
Community Savior
Armchair sorcerey

Post by pofa »

Jecka wrote:
pofa wrote: CCS was not good by any means, but I was more offended by the censorship than the voice acting. :P (Again, assuming English)
I agree completely.

D: There was no love!
;_; It's sad when a relationship between two guys that never even reaches PG-level onscreen shenanigans is considered too mature of a theme for a kid's show. Ditto Syaoran's crush on Yukito (they sure left Sakura's crush on him in) and Tomoyo's feelings for Sakura (again, can't be an age thing because her classmates' heterosexual crushes on each other were left in, as was Rika's crush on the teacher) . :P

The manga pushed the boundaries of "acceptable" sexual relationships (on purpose), but the anime was always aware of its target audience and was very appropriate with all its relationships, heterosexual or homosexual. :/ The censorship was ugly.

Then there was the issue where the episodes without Syaoran in them were removed from air because they felt like nobody would watch a show where the only hero was a girl. :P But that's different.
Last edited by pofa on March 19th, 2013, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Soreiyu

Post by Soreiyu »

There are dubs that I enjoyed even if they were not good. So I probably have some sort of bias...

Stuff I don't mind watching dubbed:
Cowboy Bebop (I prefer it to the subtitled version.)
Trigun
Wolf's Rain
Yu Yu Hakusho
Eureka Seven
Escaflowne
Slayers
Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force
Digimon Seasons 1-3
Some Studio Ghibli movies

Worst dubs to me: *ponders*
Digimon seasons 4+
One Piece both versions
I don't like most anime with Vic Mignogna in them... I think he has annoyed me since the commentary on the DNAngel DVD.
Commi-Ninja

Post by Commi-Ninja »

I would say Yu-gi-oh! GX was a terrible English dub, but the Japanese version really wasn't any better.  Don't get me wrong, I love the cheesy awesomeness of both versions, but I can't call either "good".
3DS FC: 4699-5851-2068
I might wake up early and go running. I also might wake up and win the lottery. The odds are about the same.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

Yugioh GX was one of those fascinatingly awful things I watched.

Best would probably be the Ghibli dubs.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
MaitreDétective

Post by MaitreDétective »

most of anime dubbed in french in the 80's are kinda ridiculous at times
they even censored words by replacing them by others (like "apple juice" instead of "beer" in Maison Ikkoku or even "tissue" instead of "bra" in City Hunter"...)
And of course they replaced the japanese names by french ones but it sometimes makes no sense in the context
Akonyl
Community Hero

Post by Akonyl »

MaitreDétective wrote: most of anime dubbed in french in the 80's are kinda ridiculous at times
they even censored words by replacing them by others (like "apple juice" instead of "beer" in Maison Ikkoku or even "tissue" instead of "bra" in City Hunter"...)
And of course they replaced the japanese names by french ones but it sometimes makes no sense in the context
replacing beer with apple juice/other stuff isn't uncommon, it happened in a lot of English dubs as well.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

Akonyl wrote:
MaitreDétective wrote: most of anime dubbed in french in the 80's are kinda ridiculous at times
replacing beer with apple juice/other stuff isn't uncommon, it happened in a lot of English dubs as well.
and every old school JRPG ever
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
xLostChains
Just your average girl who loves to draw random stuff

Post by xLostChains »

All animes dubbed by "4kids" are the worst :(
The best I've heard is the Fate/Zero D(English Dub), it was A+mazing!!

others such as Haruhi Suzumiya (English Dub), and Cowboy Bebop (English Dub) is okay too ^^
bluekaitou1412
Community Phantom
Indie artist. Likes books and all things Haibara.

Post by bluekaitou1412 »

I didn't mind the dubs of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Shakugan no Shana.