Liar Game

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
Aokochan

Liar Game

Post by Aokochan »

I just got the first two volumes of the manga Liar Game, and I already finished them. I think it's a very good manga and I loved it! I think there isn't any thread about it, so this is for all the people who want to talk about this manga!!
Spoiler: Awesome drawing by sonotacular sonoci

Spoiler: cinnamoroll's christmas present <3333
ImageImage
Spoiler: what Akai and Sera have in common...
Image             Image
redangelran
inlove with a mystery geek || is stalking someone

Re: Liar Game

Post by redangelran »

I love this manga, Akiyama is so smart and cool.

Mystery is awesomenesss
"I don't mind waiting for people. Because the longer you wait, when you do meet, you'll be more happy."
-Mouri Ran

"Is a reason necessary? I don't know why you would kill someone but as for saving someone-- a logical mind isn't needed, right?"
-Kudo Shinichi

My Twitter||My MAL
-super stupid case fanatic, i'm waiting for you ♥-
mako

Post by mako »

Awesome manga. Akiyama is great and I even came to like Fukunaga after some time, he's irreplaceable.
Spoiler:
I have no idea what the author's gonna do now that Fukunaga lost the Revival Round. But I'm so happy that this bidding poker is finally over, unlike the other games this one was really tiring and boring
I'm hoping for something really thrilling, like contraband or 3vs3 revival game.
I wish there was anime, I hated these live actions >:(
redangelran

Post by redangelran »

mako wrote:Awesome manga. Akiyama is great and I even came to like Fukunaga after some time, he's irreplaceable.
Spoiler:
I have no idea what the author's gonna do now that Fukunaga lost the Revival Round. But I'm so happy that this bidding poker is finally over, unlike the other games this one was really tiring and boring
I'm hoping for something really thrilling, like contraband or 3vs3 revival game.
I wish there was anime, I hated these live actions >:(
Why? I actually like the live-actions(except for the movie).
As for Fukunaga, I also wonder what will the author do about him. But I doubt Nao will do nothing about it. ::)
"I don't mind waiting for people. Because the longer you wait, when you do meet, you'll be more happy."
-Mouri Ran

"Is a reason necessary? I don't know why you would kill someone but as for saving someone-- a logical mind isn't needed, right?"
-Kudo Shinichi

My Twitter||My MAL
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

I didn't like the manga at all but really liked the drama. The new movie was really great too. In the manga, I just don't get a feeling of immediacy or feel like there's really anything at stake. I also didn't like the portrayals or character designs of some of the characters, but I'm also not as into manga as most people who would be reading it, so I may be coming at it from the wrong angle. Great series still!
redangelran

Post by redangelran »

Jd- wrote:I didn't like the manga at all but really liked the drama. The new movie was really great too. In the manga, I just don't get a feeling of immediacy or feel like there's really anything at stake. I also didn't like the portrayals or character designs of some of the characters, but I'm also not as into manga as most people who would be reading it, so I may be coming at it from the wrong angle. Great series still!
Maybe it's the bgm that adds to the feeling of immediacy. Music does move people's emotions :)
I also did not like the art style, especially the first few chapters (though I'm into manga), so....no. I think being into manga or not do not matter. :)
-Mouri Ran

-Kudo Shinichi

My Twitter||My MAL
Akonyl
Community Hero

Post by Akonyl »

I actually started with the drama, but I didn't have much confidence in it because for something called "Liar Game", the generic J-Drama overacting/obviousness seemed a bit out of place (like the incredibly obvious hinting at the police in the beginning), so I switched over to the manga.

The manga is pretty decent, but once the Chair 14 error happened it kinda hurt my expectations because it became clearer that the author didn't have a 100% complete grasp on what he was actually writing, which for a series supposedly about intelligent planning, is kinda a big deal.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

Akonyl wrote:The manga is pretty decent, but once the Chair 14 error happened it kinda hurt my expectations because it became clearer that the author didn't have a 100% complete grasp on what he was actually writing, which for a series supposedly about intelligent planning, is kinda a big deal.
What happened here? Did the author have to like... retcon something in a future chapter or summat? (I know the
Spoiler:
Musical Chairs
game from the second movie is based on a part of the manga, but I haven't read that far in it)
k11chi

Post by k11chi »

I think it's easily above average but the "Games" just take way too long for my taste... Grew tired of the pacing at chapter 10, lol.Made it to 40 or something and Im planning to continue soon though because there can never be enough manga of that genre.
Akonyl
Community Hero

Post by Akonyl »

Jd- wrote:
Akonyl wrote:The manga is pretty decent, but once the Chair 14 error happened it kinda hurt my expectations because it became clearer that the author didn't have a 100% complete grasp on what he was actually writing, which for a series supposedly about intelligent planning, is kinda a big deal.
What happened here? Did the author have to like... retcon something in a future chapter or summat? (I know the
Spoiler:
Musical Chairs
game from the second movie is based on a part of the manga, but I haven't read that far in it)
yeah, basically.
Spoiler:
The first time Kanzaki's up to call a chair to remove, she calls to remove chair 14, which "isn't a random guess because she saw Forelock sitting in it so she knows it's one of Yokoya's chairs". The second time Kanzaki's up to call, she calls to remove... chair 14, because "she saw forelock sitting in it and knows it's one of Yokoya's chairs". At first I thought it was just a scanning error, but the pages are actually different so it was just a mistake on the author's part. The following chapter, the author makes sure to rewind and say "she called out chair 13 and *then* she called out chair 14 next round", but I don't think he ever gives a reason for why she'd call out chair 13.

Apparently it was completely written out when it was released as a volume, though.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

Akonyl wrote:
Jd- wrote:
Spoiler:
Musical Chairs
yeah, basically.
Spoiler:
The first time Kanzaki's up to call a chair to remove, she calls to remove chair 14, which "isn't a random guess because she saw Forelock sitting in it so she knows it's one of Yokoya's chairs". The second time Kanzaki's up to call, she calls to remove... chair 14, because "she saw forelock sitting in it and knows it's one of Yokoya's chairs". At first I thought it was just a scanning error, but the pages are actually different so it was just a mistake on the author's part. The following chapter, the author makes sure to rewind and say "she called out chair 13 and *then* she called out chair 14 next round", but I don't think he ever gives a reason for why she'd call out chair 13.

Apparently it was completely written out when it was released as a volume, though.
Wow, so... judging from a quick scan of the always infalliable Wikipedia...
Spoiler:
There are a few of errors throughout. I can understand it, though, as it must be hard to keep up with all of the rules and such, but... they are his own games, so... not really much of an excuse. However, some of it involves math apparently, and I can understand getting that wrong given that the totals are confusing no matter how you slice 'em.

Truthfully, though, the drama fixes a lot of the silliness from the manga, even though it's still over-the-top. You can't film something like Liar Game anywhere but in Japan due to the fairly haphazard acting at times. The author has some pretty silly names and rules in the manga version it seems like. The "Pandemic Game" as it's described here in the manga version sounds inferior in just about every way to the drama one. In the drama, it was the "Angels & Demons Game" and had an actual theme to it. The manga one seems a little bland, thematically speaking.
Still, good series. Here's to another movie once the manga progresses far enough.
Akonyl
Community Hero

Post by Akonyl »

yeah, if the author messes up on something like math, I'm willing to forgive that (and maybe not even realize it myself), but something that big is just like, c'mon, guy.
Spoiler:
I can't really say as I didn't watch the drama past the first game, but I don't worry too much about the flavor of the games because the interesting part is finding the breaks in the rules and how the players exploit them.

Also, I thought the drama's version of the first game was a little weaker, if only because the presence of the videos as a form of communication made Akiyama's plan rely somewhat on luck (if the delivered item was a video rather than the card, he wouldn't have been able to forge it so easily), whereas in the manga the only way they had been contacted at the time was through cards.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

Yo, yo, YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Spoiler:
You gotta go watch through the second game, the one with "X". That is where the series actually got good. The first one is definitely more of an introduction (especially in its TV incarnation), but that second game is where it really became a show. Highly recommended bidness. Also, all of the second season was great, and it culminated directly in an equally great movie (which I don't think was really based on anything from the manga? Not sure).
Togop

Post by Togop »

I've seen the first season, and then switched to the manga, which I reread from the start. I noticed that the games were largely simplified in the drama, which is why I prefer the manga...

As to the Musical Chairs,
Spoiler:
I don't think there was any problem with the chairs Nao called in the beginning; while it's been a while since I read it, I think Nao knew the numbers of two chairs. Even if not, it's just a minor inaccuracy, as the author could have easily. made it so that she knows the number of two chairs. There was a one more serious problem: in the end, when the last Akiyama group member was unable to sit, why did Yokoya's partner take a sit? He didn't need to, since the intention was for Yokoya to win all along.
Still, I really like the manga, including the musical chairs arc, but I dislike all the hiatuses.