MAJOR (Anime/Manga series about baseball)

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
The Mask
Part-time teacher, full-time dreamer

MAJOR (Anime/Manga series about baseball)

Post by The Mask »

This thread is dedicated to the anime and manga series Major. For those who are unaware, Major is about the life of Goro Honda, who starts out in the series as a young boy who dreams of becoming a great baseball player just like his dad, whom he idolizes a lot. As the series progresses, Goro undergoes through trials and obstacles in life (even having to have his name changed to Goro Shigeno later on) as he strives to reach his dreams and become a baseball player in the major leagues.

Both the anime and the manga series concluded in 2010, though I really hope the anime series could extend for at least one more season or an anime film to cover one vital story arc in the manga. Speaking of the story, it's really good and appealing even for those who aren't fans of baseball, like me for instance. That may be because it has a lot of baseball action, while dealing a good amount of time on tackling about friendship, family, and sport psychology. Heck, I even got teary-eyed in some episodes. I guess that's why it's considered as the leading baseball comic in Japan up until it ended.

Oh, and this is actually one of the "companions" of Detective Conan in Shonen Sunday magazine since 1994. Now that it has concluded already, I do hope DC would follow through in the near future.

You can go ahead and post your thoughts about the series here. And please remember to use spoiler tags if necessary.

----------

EDIT:

BREAKING NEWS!

There's a new OVA in the works, and it's gonna adapt the World Series arc!

Baseball Manga Major Gets New Final Original Video Anime - Anime News Network (October 21, 2011)

Last Major Video Anime's 2nd Half Slated for January 18 - Anime News Network (December 10, 2011)
Last edited by The Mask on December 29th, 2011, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every man’s heart, one day, beats its final beat. His lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them bleed deeper and something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized."

- Ultimate Warrior (1959-2014)
leokiko

Re: MAJOR (Anime/Manga series about baseball)

Post by leokiko »

Best sports anime/manga ever. The first season was the best (really sad, teared up a bit) but until Goro goes to America, It's still good. After that, I didn't like it that much. Still good enough, but nothing to overcome the masterpiece that is the first season ;/
kyuuketsuki
DCTP Staff Member
Community Forensic Scientist

Re: Re: MAJOR (Anime/Manga series about baseball)

Post by kyuuketsuki »

Jd-shall appear here soon
The Mask

Post by The Mask »

leokiko wrote: Best sports anime/manga ever. The first season was the best (really sad, teared up a bit) but until Goro goes to America, It's still good. After that, I didn't like it that much. Still good enough, but nothing to overcome the masterpiece that is the first season ;/
Yup, the first season was indeed one of the best. I also think the fifth season was very good, since it somehow connected everything that has happened since the first season, not to mention the cameos from Goro's lesser-known teammates that we haven't seen since Season 1.
kyuuketsuki wrote: Jd-shall appear here soon
Did I do something wrong? Is the thread inappropriate?
Last edited by The Mask on December 14th, 2011, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every man’s heart, one day, beats its final beat. His lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them bleed deeper and something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized."

kyuuketsuki
DCTP Staff Member
Community Forensic Scientist

Post by kyuuketsuki »

The Mask wrote:
leokiko wrote: Best sports anime/manga ever. The first season was the best (really sad, teared up a bit) but until Goro goes to America, It's still good. After that, I didn't like it that much. Still good enough, but nothing to overcome the masterpiece that is the first season ;/
Yup, the first season was indeed one of the best. I also think the fifth season was very good, since it somehow connected everything that has happened since the first season, not to mention the cameos from Goro's lesser-known teammates that we haven't seen since Season 1.
Lol, no... Jd- is a huge Major fan.
The Mask

Post by The Mask »

kyuuketsuki wrote:
The Mask wrote:
Lol, no... Jd- is a huge Major fan.
That's a relief. From what I've read in other threads, Jd- is like an authority figure or something. Glad to see more fans of Major here.

CoolKid3

Post by CoolKid3 »

Best Sports anime series IMO and my 3rd all time favorite anime series.

From Little League to Major League, this series is definitely a complete one! Not really sure why this is underappreciated as compared to other sports anime series.

I wish Major will have another OVA that could follow through the "Message" OVA episode or any events in between that time period of Major Season 6.
If you think you are cooler than me then prove it, B*TCH!

The Mask

Post by The Mask »

CoolKid3 wrote: I wish Major will have another OVA that could follow through the "Message" OVA episode or any events in between that time period of Major Season 6.
Well, I just learned today that there's already an OVA in the works that would animate the World Series arc:

Baseball Manga Major Gets New Final Original Video Anime - Anime News Network (October 21, 2011)

Last Major Video Anime's 2nd Half Slated for January 18 - Anime News Network (December 10, 2011)

So I guess our wishes have been granted. Woohoo! I'll surely be looking forward for this.

The Mask

Post by The Mask »

Apparently, the first half of the new OVA got released a few weeks ago. It really does feature the World Series arc. I would give details on what took place during the first few minutes, but I think it would be too much of a spoiler.

CoolKid3

Post by CoolKid3 »

^ Is there a subbed version already? I did a quick search and all I saw was RAW.

Thanks in advance!
If you think you are cooler than me then prove it, B*TCH!

The Mask

Post by The Mask »

Haven't seen a sub or dub yet. So we'll have to wait for that.

syuusuke09

Post by syuusuke09 »

This is one of the best, i spent money on 10 dvds of this manga so that I could finish it
The Mask

Post by The Mask »

I recently set up a deviantART group for Major called "MAJOR-DREAM". If you have a dA account and you have some Major fanart, you can go ahead and submit it to the group. Here's the link:

http://major-dream.deviantart.com/

On other stuff, is there anybody else who's missing Major right now? I know I am.

Jd-
DCTP Staff Member

Post by Jd- »

How on earth did I miss this topic all this time!?
The Mask

Post by The Mask »

Jd- wrote:How on earth did I miss this topic all this time!?
That I can't even answer. But since you're finally here, welcome to the MAJOR forum! ;D