Worst anime in your opinion?

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
IHKF
AyuCon forever & other INTERESTING couples :3

Re: Worst anime in your opinion?

Post by IHKF »

mangaluva wrote:
IHKF wrote:
mangaluva wrote: I'm gonna add to here that I tried watching Hetalia: Axis Powers and disliked it. I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's crap. I'm assuming that all of the popularity is down to the "pretty" boys in yaoi-ambiguous situations, but a) they're really not that pretty and b) personally, I can't bring myself to rabidly fangirl anyone that I'm not also emotionally invested in.

D: OMG?! HOW THE-

It's HILARIOUS! XD
It's really not :/ When the jokes tried to be historical they were inaccurate and not funny, and the rest of the time they were just not funny.
How could you say that?

It's just cute and funny and if you're able to follow how fast it moves then you start to really enjoy it.
Definition of AyuCon:
An underrated couple overthrown by a mass of overrated couples in a world of fangirls/boys who like stoic characters and Mary-Sues.

"Please be okay... Ayumi!" -Conan
Definition of MitsuAi:
Best thing ever- better than ice tea on a hot day or ice cream cake at a B-Day party.

"(to Mitsuhiko) At this moment, you are my outstanding rescuer. Thanks for your help." -Haibara

(Don't own the picture)
mangaluva
Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Post by mangaluva »

IHKF wrote:
mangaluva wrote:
IHKF wrote:
mangaluva wrote: I'm gonna add to here that I tried watching Hetalia: Axis Powers and disliked it. I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's crap. I'm assuming that all of the popularity is down to the "pretty" boys in yaoi-ambiguous situations, but a) they're really not that pretty and b) personally, I can't bring myself to rabidly fangirl anyone that I'm not also emotionally invested in.

It's HILARIOUS! XD
It's really not :/ When the jokes tried to be historical they were inaccurate and not funny, and the rest of the time they were just not funny.
How could you say that?

It's just cute and funny and if you're able to follow how fast it moves then you start to really enjoy it.
I can say that because it's not cute and it's not funny, which I'm pretty sure I already said, therefore proving that I can say it. :P
Vylash

Post by Vylash »

mangaluva wrote:
IHKF wrote:

It's HILARIOUS! XD
glad someone else gets that
IHKF

Post by IHKF »

::) Okay....
Definition of AyuCon:
An underrated couple overthrown by a mass of overrated couples in a world of fangirls/boys who like stoic characters and Mary-Sues.

Definition of MitsuAi:
Best thing ever- better than ice tea on a hot day or ice cream cake at a B-Day party.

"(to Mitsuhiko) At this moment, you are my outstanding rescuer. Thanks for your help." -Haibara

(Don't own the picture)
sonoci
Everyone's Child

Post by sonoci »

My personal opinion on Hetalia is that I do like it, but I don't think I actually find it funny. I think what I like is that I think the creators/creator/whatevs had fun making the series.

From my experience, humor comes from: 1) surprise 2) kernels of truth 3) stupidity 4) fun. What's most important depends on the person. In other words, if someone likes 2 the most and doesn't enjoy 3, Hetalia wouldn't be their type of show

I can enjoy just about anything, so :X
IHKF

Post by IHKF »

sonoci wrote: My personal opinion on Hetalia is that I do like it, but I don't think I actually find it funny. I think what I like is that I think the creators/creator/whatevs had fun making the series.

From my experience, humor comes from: 1) surprise 2) kernels of truth 3) stupidity 4) fun. What's most important depends on the person. In other words, if someone likes 2 the most and doesn't enjoy 3, Hetalia wouldn't be their type of show

I can enjoy just about anything, so :X
I personally think the English dub is WAY funnier than the Japanese one. xD
Definition of AyuCon:

Definition of MitsuAi:

(Don't own the picture)
sonoci
Everyone's Child

Post by sonoci »

IHKF wrote: I personally think the English dub is WAY funnier than the Japanese one. xD
I feel the same way, though it's more of a "If I think about the words and situation later I laugh" rather than I laugh at the actual scene itself. Comedy is a very strange genre that's really hard to get perfectly right, since delivery is such a key aspect and there's always that subjectiveness behind it.

It's definitely a win-lose situation. Either someone enjoys it from the start or it's just not their cup of tea. Comedic sense doesn't seem to be something that can be endeared to people, hence why my personal opinions on "Comedies" are to have a show that does indeed have comedy, but not to throw away story/other aspects. (eg: with BBT right now, I'm enjoying the aspect of the Wallowitz x Bernadette wedding almost as much as the comedy itself) In the case of Hetalia, the inaccurate historical facts and stereotyped characters (as expected since they're countries personified) probably wouldn't endear those that don't enjoy the comedy.

In other words, it's pretty understandable why people wouldn't like Hetalia
doublemoonlight
I am such a fool...

Post by doublemoonlight »

* reads comments and reads 1st chapter of Hetalia...

hmm from reading your comments and reading 1st chapter... I'd say I kinda finds it bit... insulting to say the least. I actually like the idea of potraying a contry as a one person BUT to make comedy out of it... dose not really work... I haven read a lot obiously BUT the effect of trying to make something serious as nation into comedy dosen't seem to work. I donno, I might change my mind if I watch anime but so far that is how I feel about this manga.
FANFICTION:http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2489646/doublegengar05
1 Timothy 3:9- They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with clear conscience
xpon wrote: Almost all police is Detective Conan is less importance than the Detectives.....

1st Doctor: One day I shall come back, yes I shall come back. Till then there shall be no fears, no tears and no anxieties, just go forward in your beliefs and prove to me I am not mistaken in mine. Good bye Susan. Good bye  my Dear.
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

I prefer Scandinavia and the World because while it starts out being based on stereotypes, the artist does legitimate research into foreign countries when giving them character traits, and the main characters are Scandinavian countries which she knows very well anyway (and as every strip comes with a few paragraphs explaining the research and story behind the strip, it's very informative). I really don't connect with "lol it's funny because they're stupid" humour, which is why I really hate shows like Spongebob and Mr Bean and probably why I don't like Hetalia.
sonoci
Everyone's Child

Post by sonoci »

doublemoonlight wrote: * reads comments and reads 1st chapter of Hetalia...

hmm from reading your comments and reading 1st chapter... I'd say I kinda finds it bit... insulting to say the least. I actually like the idea of potraying a contry as a one person BUT to make comedy out of it... dose not really work... I haven read a lot obiously BUT the effect of trying to make something serious as nation into comedy dosen't seem to work. I donno, I might change my mind if I watch anime but so far that is how I feel about this manga.
The manga is a bit bland for me (as it's kind of hard to follow @_@) but even then the anime is only slightly better. I think for the anime, if anything would ever make me laugh it was the voice acting, rather than the actual jokes.

That's the other danger of comedy: avoiding offensive material. It's hard to find that "Ha! That's so true" line between "offensive outright" and "subtly offensive".

"Stupid" humor isn't really a favorite of mine either, but there are a few deliveries that worked well for me (eg: I don't know why, but Patrick's "Hahahaha, it's a giraffe!" when it's an elephant bubble just makes me giggle). I think the way that stupid humor works for me is if it's mixed well with random humor since, while close, random isn't quite the same as stupid

Also what happened to the topic mahn? xD *went off the rails thar*
Kaito Lady
*plotting*

Post by Kaito Lady »

i have to agree with everyone, the manga isnt funny. i barely got through the 1st one
"Plotting since forever"
Spoiler: Fear The Wrath Of My Hammer!
Thanx Yuri for the Awesome pic :D
DCTP Forums=a place where anyone is anyone's sibling/parent/child....and therefore is the best place on earth <3
Spoiler: Write a Will, BO Edition
Spoiler: Whenever in doubt
DCTP Cat Family
My dA
IHKF

Post by IHKF »

The anime is so freaking FUNNY, though. Especially the English sub! >.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdZ2FPZXJ-8
Definition of AyuCon:

Definition of MitsuAi:

(Don't own the picture)
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

Let the record show that I have watched the video and am still waiting for Hetalia to make me laugh.

Have I mentioned how awful the accents are? I mean, at least Monty Python and the Holy Grail was being ironic about how bad the French accents were, and it still wasn't that bad.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that thinks jokes concerning Germans and gas are not funny ever.
IHKF

Post by IHKF »

^

Wow... I can't believe it didn't make you laugh....

Not even the Catholic or Protestant scene? Wow......
Definition of AyuCon:

Definition of MitsuAi:

(Don't own the picture)
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

IHKF wrote: ^

Wow... I can't believe it didn't make you laugh....

Not even the Catholic or Protestant scene? Wow......
Well, no. Because it wasn't funny.