Anime Recommendation Thread

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
PokerFace312

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Posts: 1360

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby PokerFace312 » February 21st, 2012, 7:28 pm

leokiko wrote:I have seen many people saying Another is the best show this season. It's all about taste I guess.

(Mini-review GO!)
While I wouldn't call it bad per se, as a horror fan myself, I find it's trying to hard to be scary a lot of the time. The death scenes are bloody, sure, but that doesn't make a show scary. The characterization also isn't great as none of them really have much depth or development to them plus I noticed in the newest episode that the side characters seem to very much follow the crowd to an annoying extent.
The plot, once it's finally explained, is interesting to a point, but that's basically all it has going for it.
Not worth the time, in my opinion.
Image
My Fanfiction          My tumblr          My MAL
toyks
User avatar

Don't forget your trap, Kanji-kun

Posts: 454

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby toyks » February 21st, 2012, 8:00 pm

leokiko wrote:I have seen many people saying Another is the best show this season.

Another might be the best that the Winter 2012 lineup has to offer, but the best of one season doesn't make Another as an immediate masterpiece.

leokiko wrote:It's all about taste I guess.

Also, I strongly agree with this. Different people, different tastes.
[center]Image
I-I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass! (-_-メ) - Kanji Tatsumi (Persona 4) ::)
3DS friend code: 2406-5413-8969 Let's play MK 7 and Swap Note!
leokiko
User avatar
Posts: 1046

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby leokiko » February 21st, 2012, 8:12 pm

PokerFace312 wrote:
leokiko wrote:I have seen many people saying Another is the best show this season. It's all about taste I guess.

(Mini-review GO!)
While I wouldn't call it bad per se, as a horror fan myself, I find it's trying to hard to be scary a lot of the time. The death scenes are bloody, sure, but that doesn't make a show scary. The characterization also isn't great as none of them really have much depth or development to them plus I noticed in the newest episode that the side characters seem to very much follow the crowd to an annoying extent.
The plot, once it's finally explained, is interesting to a point, but that's basically all it has going for it.
Not worth the time, in my opinion.

Horror in anime doesn't makes me scared, that's why whenever I see an horror anime, all I can hope for is a good mystery. It is with that mentaility that I went when I watched Another. I have only watched 1 episode of it and thought the atmosphere although a bit forced, was decent. I will wait until it's finished to watch it completely, since I'm reading mixed opinions on it so far, like yours. I will leave it on hold since I already have enough ongoing animes.

About horror, a few scenes in anime does creep me out a bit sometimes though, like when that green-haired chick on Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni went crazy.

toyks wrote:Another might be the best that the Winter 2012 lineup has to offer, but the best of one season doesn't make Another as an immediate masterpiece.


I disagree on that. My favorite of this season has been Ano Natsu so far. Extremely well-executed romance and extremely likable characters. But again, all about tastes. And about the next season: I say it here: It's gonna be one of the best in years.

@Akonyl: I see. Well, that's true. Steins;Gate will be the best one to match his expectations then(episode 22 was...the best romantic episode in the past few years).
Last edited by leokiko on February 21st, 2012, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toyks
User avatar

Don't forget your trap, Kanji-kun

Posts: 454

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby toyks » February 21st, 2012, 8:32 pm

I have only seen three series (one of which I have already dropped after 1 episode) that are under the winter 2012 lineup, and that's why I inserted the word 'might' in there ;).

Forgive me for not saying so earlier or for phrasing my previous post poorly.
[center]Image
I-I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass! (-_-メ) - Kanji Tatsumi (Persona 4) ::)
3DS friend code: 2406-5413-8969 Let's play MK 7 and Swap Note!
leokiko
User avatar
Posts: 1046

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby leokiko » February 21st, 2012, 9:25 pm

No prob, it was partially my fault for not interpreting it right xD, but you should watch it if you can, this season has some good animes.
pofa
Community Savior
User avatar

Armchair sorcerey

Posts: 1187

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby pofa » February 21st, 2012, 10:44 pm

So, is GTO worth watching or not?

Everybody says it's a classic and the funniest thing ever and well-acted and directed or whatever, but I'm having a hard time getting past the underage sexual humor. :/ Is it worth it?

I mean, I've watched middle school romantic comedies, but this feels kind of icky. :P
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
leokiko
User avatar
Posts: 1046

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby leokiko » February 21st, 2012, 11:03 pm

The main reason GTO is awesome is Onizuka. It's all about the drama his students go through and him helping them out. The comedy bits are very funny too.

The manga is much better than the anime though. It's one of my favorites mangas ever.
Akonyl
Community Hero
User avatar
Posts: 4202

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby Akonyl » February 21st, 2012, 11:12 pm

if by "underage sexual humor" you mean that you watched the first episode and are like "dude this guy is macking on middle school girls (though maybe they're high school? I forget) this is creepy" then it goes away pretty quickly iirc (not-so-spoiler: There's someone his own age). There's still some stuff relating to the students, however student+student stuff (or stuff with people around that age) is in like pretty much every anime ever.

I will say, there are only 4 anime that have ever gotten a 10 from me: TTGL, Monster, FMA:B and GTO. So it's pretty good imo. :V

As for the manga: It might be my predisposition to anime over manga, but I would suggest to watch the show first. Then, when you get to the end of the anime and go "ugh that's the worst ending ever", go to the manga and skim through from the chapters from the start to find the differences (some parts of the story are changed quite a bit), and then start actually reading it where the anime left off with its horrible ending.
PokerFace312

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Posts: 1360

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby PokerFace312 » February 21st, 2012, 11:21 pm

leokiko wrote:And about the next season: I say it here: It's gonna be one of the best in years.

Oh, lovely.

Since I'm in a talkative mood today for some reason...

Explaination of how I choose what new anime to watch (for the two of you who care):
Once it's released, I go over the list of anime that will be starting during the next season, writing down the names of shows that interest me. From this, I then select two or three titles that I think have the most potential. These will be the ones I watch as soon as they start airing. The only way I don't watch through them is if the first episode doesn't hold my interest whatsoever, like what happened with me for Inu X Boku SS this season, aka I fell asleep. Twice. In one episode. Even the Endless Eight didn't bore me that much.
During this however, I also keep an eye on the MAL stats of the other shows I wrote down. Once a show reaches its third episode, if it has a mean score of over 7.75 out of 10, I try it. If I personally give the first episode a score of 7 or higher, I watch it.
This is a method I devloped at the beginning of this current season. The reason for this is that I watched way too many shows during the last summer season (Blood-C, Dantalian no Shoka, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Kamisama Dolls, Kami-sama no Memo-chou, Mawaru Penguindrum, Mayo Chiki!, No. 6, Ro-Kyu-Bu!, Sacred Seven, The [email protected], Usagi Drop, and Uta no Prince-sama!) simply because I heard good things about the first episodes. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy the majority of these and there are still a number I have yet to finish as a result of that. I lieu of that though, I then only decided to watch two shows in the fall season (Guilty Crown and Mirai Nikki) and though I do enjoy both, Guilty Crown if only for getting to complain about it, I ended up missing out on other supposedly good shows that came out that season such as Chihayafuru and HunterXHunter.
So far I think my method is working pretty well seeing as how, despite not being a stellar season, I'm enjoying everything I'm watching this season: Ano Natsu, Another, Black Rock Stooter (the worst of what I'm watching, imo), and The Daily Lives of High School Boys (my favorite for the season).

...I feel like if I put have as much effort into my school work as I domy anime and manga habits, I would be getting much better grades...
Image
My Fanfiction          My tumblr          My MAL
pofa
Community Savior
User avatar

Armchair sorcerey

Posts: 1187

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby pofa » February 21st, 2012, 11:22 pm

@Akonyl and leokiko: I've never seen an episode of GTO, I'm just gong on the trailer, which kinda made it look like the show was going to be about him trying to get it on with middle schoolers. :P But if that's not the case, I might try it if it's really that funny.

And yeah, I can't really talk, since I like Sailor Moon, which has panty shots and the transformation scenes and middle school girls falling in love with a college dudes, so. :P
ImageImageImage

Superman = Captain America > Aquaman = Hal Jordan > Wonder Woman > Barry Allen > Thor > Martian Manhunter > The Hulk > Wasp > Hawkeye > [power gap] > Iron Man = Batman > [power gap] > Hank Pym
Akonyl
Community Hero
User avatar
Posts: 4202

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby Akonyl » February 21st, 2012, 11:29 pm

pofa wrote:@Akonyl and leokiko: I've never seen an episode of GTO, I'm just gong on the trailer, which kinda made it look like the show was going to be about him trying to get it on with middle schoolers. :P But if that's not the case, I might try it if it's really that funny.

And yeah, I can't really talk, since I like Sailor Moon, which has panty shots and the transformation scenes and middle school girls falling in love with a college dudes, so. :P

Well, from a trailer standpoint, it makes perfect sense. The show starts out with the plot being "Onizuka becomes a school teacher to mack on schoolgirls", but the show itself is basically about him growing into the role of the teacher and the stories of the students.

Also: While it is a funny series, I'm not much of a solely-comedy guy. I didn't give the series a 10 because of the comedy, tbh :P
leokiko
User avatar
Posts: 1046

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby leokiko » February 21st, 2012, 11:58 pm

Onizuka is a pervert with an heart of gold. Watch it! Akonyl is right here.

@PokerFace: I personally gives at least 3 episodes and if it's VERY good I continue watching. If it's just ''good'' I put it on hold and if it sucks I drop it. That way I will be following just my favorites. Example in this season: Ano Natsu, Danshi Koukousei, Aquarion EVOL and Rinne no Lagrange.

There is 1 more reason for me to put an anime on hold though: If it's an anime that I can't handle the cliffhangers. Mirai Nikki and Chihayafuru both fall in this category. I simply can't handle waiting 1 week, so I put it on hold to watch when it ends. I do that mostly with two-cours because I know the story will move a bit slower.
Last edited by leokiko on February 22nd, 2012, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PokerFace312

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Posts: 1360

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby PokerFace312 » February 22nd, 2012, 12:09 am

leokiko wrote:@PokerFace: I personally gives at least 3 episodes and if it's VERY good I continue watching. If it's just ''good'' I put it on hold and if it sucks I drop it. That way I will be following just my favorites(example in this season: Ano Natsu, Danshi Koukousei, Aquarion EVOL and Rinne no Lagrange.

There is 1 expection of which I put an anime on hold though. This is very important for me: If it's an anime that I can't handle the cliffhangers. Mirai Nikki and Chihayafuru both fall in this category. I simply can't handle waiting 1 week, so I put it on hold to watch when it ends. I do that mostly with two-cours because I know the story will move a bit slower.

I've heard of a number of people doing the 3 episode thing and I think it's a very good way to grasp if a series is good or not, this being what I based my 3rd-episode-check-rating rule. The only reason I don't do it is because I'm the kind of person who is determined to never drop a series once I've passed the first episode, no matter how bad the series is. This is a personal rule that I have been extremely annoyed at at times, but I haven't broken it yet. =)

As for the cliffhanger thing, this is actually the opposite of what I often do. I find if I marathon a really good series, I get too excited and have to stop for fear of fangirling too much (this happened several times while I was catching up to Conan and is the reason it took me three months for the manga alone). Because of this, I typically prefer to watch a series week by week and if I really like it, I add it to my list of things to rewatch if I want to watch something I know I'll enjoy.
Image
My Fanfiction          My tumblr          My MAL
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
User avatar

Dogcopter 8: The World Dog Only Knows

Posts: 7695

Contact:

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby kkslider5552000 » February 22nd, 2012, 12:15 am

This is odd as everyone I've heard has called Another something of a hidden gem. I don't consider "ok" a hidden gem.

Of course "ok" is still better than any series like Air or Kanon. God dammit.
Bioshock is considered a masterpiece. Let me attempt to showcase why : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13252

Image

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
leokiko
User avatar
Posts: 1046

Re: Anime Recommendation Thread

Postby leokiko » February 22nd, 2012, 12:20 am

PokerFace312 wrote:I've heard of a number of people doing the 3 episode thing and I think it's a very good way to grasp if a series is good or not, this being what I based my 3rd-episode-check-rating rule. The only reason I don't do it is because I'm the kind of person who is determined to never drop a series once I've passed the first episode, no matter how bad the series is. This is a personal rule that I have been extremely annoyed at at times, but I haven't broken it yet. =)

Wow, that's very impressive, actually. If I ever applied such rule I would break it very fast, since many animes have an great start but end up being very bad midway through.

PokerFace312 wrote:As for the cliffhanger thing, this is actually the opposite of what I often do. I find if I marathon a really good series, I get too excited and have to stop for fear of fangirling too much (this happened several times while I was catching up to Conan and is the reason it took me three months for the manga alone). Because of this, I typically prefer to watch a series week by week and if I really like it, I add it to my list of things to rewatch if I want to watch something I know I'll enjoy.

That's why I choose to watch great animes when I'm free. I marathon it and normally go off to the internet to read stuff about it. It happened when I read Toaru Majutsu no Index's light novels. I read 1 volume and went off and spent more or less 3 hours reading stuff on Index's thread on AS forums and Index's wikia. But I didn't mind since I had free time. Anyway, I may have interpreted you wrong there though  ;D.

kkslider5552000 wrote:This is odd as everyone I've heard has called Another something of a hidden gem. I don't consider "ok" a hidden gem.

''hidden'' gem? LOL. This is tottaly oversubbed, not hidden at all. I won't comment on the ''gem'' part though.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jecka and 5 guests

cron