Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
Iwamoto Yuri
User avatar

SPARKLES

Posts: 2452

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby Iwamoto Yuri » January 10th, 2015, 4:52 pm

14341210 wrote:
kkslider5552000 wrote:
14341210 wrote:
Iwamoto Yuri wrote:They absolutely ruined the train case where vodka and Gin weren't the BO and all off the sudden co knew who they were a while later..
I'm not sure if that's Eng dub only, tho, I never watched the Japanese version of that ep.
Other than that they are actually spot on most of the times. Just that one case really stuck to me.

Interesting, could you tell me what changed on that case? I never got the chance to read it in the manga, so I'm not sure what changed.

Basically, Gin and Vodka were in the original version of the case but were replaced by random one-off villains that had nothing to do with anything but vaguely somewhat look like them. For no reason. Which created a large plot hole later on because Conan never actually learned their names and yet knew their names for some reason.

WAT

Why on earth would they ever change something so important?! o_o

probably because the case didn't seem important enough at the time.
The Yuri to Japan give-away is back once more! Go HERE to check it out!
Image
3DS Friend Code: 1564-5101-4615
Yuri gets advice from little fairies, and is thereby not held responsible for any stupid action
pixiv | etsy | livestream
The Doctor wrote:There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
Ki-RBT
User avatar

Cat got my keyboard.

Posts: 61

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby Ki-RBT » January 10th, 2015, 5:35 pm

14341210 wrote:
kkslider5552000 wrote:
14341210 wrote:
Iwamoto Yuri wrote:They absolutely ruined the train case where vodka and Gin weren't the BO and all off the sudden co knew who they were a while later..
I'm not sure if that's Eng dub only, tho, I never watched the Japanese version of that ep.
Other than that they are actually spot on most of the times. Just that one case really stuck to me.

Interesting, could you tell me what changed on that case? I never got the chance to read it in the manga, so I'm not sure what changed.

Basically, Gin and Vodka were in the original version of the case but were replaced by random one-off villains that had nothing to do with anything but vaguely somewhat look like them. For no reason. Which created a large plot hole later on because Conan never actually learned their names and yet knew their names for some reason.

WAT

Why on earth would they ever change something so important?! o_o


Well, they might have interpreted the manga incorrectly, or they could have just thought it was unimportant. More likely, they planned to reintroduce them later on, but slipped up and started using the names before they did so.
One more time.

[spoiler=SS gift from miyano_shiho]Image[/spoiler]
Iwamoto Yuri
User avatar

SPARKLES

Posts: 2452

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby Iwamoto Yuri » January 10th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Ki-RBT wrote:
14341210 wrote:
kkslider5552000 wrote:
14341210 wrote:
Iwamoto Yuri wrote:They absolutely ruined the train case where vodka and Gin weren't the BO and all off the sudden co knew who they were a while later..
I'm not sure if that's Eng dub only, tho, I never watched the Japanese version of that ep.
Other than that they are actually spot on most of the times. Just that one case really stuck to me.

Interesting, could you tell me what changed on that case? I never got the chance to read it in the manga, so I'm not sure what changed.

Basically, Gin and Vodka were in the original version of the case but were replaced by random one-off villains that had nothing to do with anything but vaguely somewhat look like them. For no reason. Which created a large plot hole later on because Conan never actually learned their names and yet knew their names for some reason.

WAT

Why on earth would they ever change something so important?! o_o


Well, they might have interpreted the manga incorrectly, or they could have just thought it was unimportant. More likely, they planned to reintroduce them later on, but slipped up and started using the names before they did so.

Reintroduce the two main villains? That's too plot-heavy material for them to mess with.
The Yuri to Japan give-away is back once more! Go HERE to check it out!
Image
3DS Friend Code: 1564-5101-4615
Yuri gets advice from little fairies, and is thereby not held responsible for any stupid action
pixiv | etsy | livestream
The Doctor wrote:There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member
User avatar

The Last Dinosaur

Posts: 6187

Contact:

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby Jd- » January 10th, 2015, 5:56 pm

As far as I recall, the real reason that was changed was because they never expected the anime to go further than 26 episodes, or at least a small order. There were a lot of little changes like that in the early days (along with multi-file manga cases being condensed into just one episode, etc) that are pretty good indicators of them not expecting it to get nearly as big as it did.
kkslider5552000
Community Villain
User avatar

Dogcopter 8: The World Dog Only Knows

Posts: 7697

Contact:

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby kkslider5552000 » January 10th, 2015, 6:57 pm

Jd- wrote:As far as I recall, the real reason that was changed was because they never expected the anime to go further than 26 episodes, or at least a small order. There were a lot of little changes like that in the early days (along with multi-file manga cases being condensed into just one episode, etc) that are pretty good indicators of them not expecting it to get nearly as big as it did.

Assuming what I heard of Conan being a fairly immediate hit is true, this is profoundly stupid even in the context of 1996. Besides, that doesn't make much sense regardless, because why would that actually help anyone even if they had a reason to assume that.
Bioshock is considered a masterpiece. Let me attempt to showcase why : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13252

Image

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
Jd-
DCTP Staff Member
User avatar

The Last Dinosaur

Posts: 6187

Contact:

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby Jd- » January 10th, 2015, 8:15 pm

You also have to remember that they made another major change early on to the Black Organization story, with altering Akemi's role in episode 13 (but later repairing it in episode 128) and essentially making it a normal episode. In that case, and forgive me as I'm going from memory here, they removed all mentions of the Black Organization and--unlike that earlier instance--didn't try to emulate their role in any meaningful way. My guess is that their intention was to not be held back by anything in the original manga, on any count--be it restraining them from making a quick ending or otherwise. They could then give it a soft ending and leave it open to continuation later, or even have just done what other animes have done and given it its own ending completely separate from the manga's storyline. I also suspect part of the reason they handled some of these things the way they did was to be clever and different from the source material, without realizing how much it'd backfire later.

There's no doubt it was the wrong call on their part (especially at this point). At the very least, there are only those two glaring issues that emerged from their changes--one of which was creatively and effectively repaired later.
Iwamoto Yuri
User avatar

SPARKLES

Posts: 2452

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby Iwamoto Yuri » January 11th, 2015, 8:28 am

Oh, yeah, completely forgot that one :V
The Yuri to Japan give-away is back once more! Go HERE to check it out!
Image
3DS Friend Code: 1564-5101-4615
Yuri gets advice from little fairies, and is thereby not held responsible for any stupid action
pixiv | etsy | livestream
The Doctor wrote:There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.
mangaluva
User avatar

Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Posts: 5260

Contact:

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby mangaluva » February 6th, 2015, 10:15 am

As someone who just fell hard and fast for Black Butler, I have to say that I infinitely prefer the direction that the manga is going to where the anime went. I am glad that they're adapting the Circus arc as its own miniseries, but even aside from veering plots, I think the manga handled some significant reveals--such as the identity of the Undertaker and the capabilities of the Phantomhive servants--much better than the anime did. I disagree with most of the characterization alterations, too (especially Grelle--I don't really like her getting demoted to "that comic relief villain that nobody's really scared of". Yes, in the manga she's also over-the-top dramatic and flamboyant, but she is also PROFOUNDLY DANGEROUS every time she appears. Wacky she may be, but the characters never doubt that they are in serious danger whenever she's around.)

I also still long for the day that Ouran High School Host Club and Fruits Basket get the Fullmetal Alchemist treatment and get new series that properly follow the manga to its conclusion. Neither of those adaptations were BAD, per se, they were just started way too soon and had to veer off in different directions to end before they caught up with the manga (I think Ouran handled this much better than Furuba). These are two of my favourite manga and I would love quality full-length anime adaptations.
xLostChains
User avatar

Just your average girl who loves to draw random stuff

Posts: 139

Contact:

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby xLostChains » October 23rd, 2016, 2:56 am

PANDORA HEARTS!!! the anime is sooo ruined I can't still forgive what they did
Uchiha Shadow
User avatar
Posts: 291

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Postby Uchiha Shadow » October 23rd, 2016, 7:30 am

The only right answer is Berserk.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron