Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

All anime and manga discussion that doesn't fit elsewhere goes here.
Otoouusan

Re: Manga that got the most ruined in the anime version

Post by Otoouusan »

Naruto (2002-2007)
First 20-24 episodes of Naruto were okay, the soundtrack was very well done, but the animation quality incredibly went down after 24 something episodes. The characters were drawn cross-eyed and there wasn't any motion at all, like there was an up tempo soundtrack over a slide show. It felt like there wasn't anyone there to do the quality check. There were exceptionally good parts with the quality of course, but the last 2 years long filer season made me hate the main character and myself. Naruto Shippuuden got better and overall decent after the HD broadcast.

Berserk (1997-1998)
They removed many fantasy elements, over-violence and a key character (The faerie was supposed to apper at episode 1) for more realism I believe. The anime is a decent watch but manga is something else!

FullMetal Alchemist (2003-2004)
The story has completely changed from some point. The anime has ended while the manga was in the middle way. The anime really ENDED the story in a different way.
mangaluva
Fangirl, Pokefreak, Grammar Roman, Movie Geek

Post by mangaluva »

The School Days anime isn't anything like the manga at all- Makoto's character especially is pretty much unrecognizable, and Sekai and Kotonoha don't get off lightly either- but I'm not certain of which came first so I don't know if it counts.
CoolKid3

Post by CoolKid3 »

CoolKid3 wrote: I actually liked the 1st FMA anime version... I haven't read the manga though so there's no point of comparison... I've watched a couple of episodes of Brotherhood and I think it's as good as the 1st one... FMA is FMA... Maybe I might change my opinion as soon as I've watched FMA:B completely (which is impossible ATM)
I actually said this one last year? LOL!

After completing the series, I actually think FMA Brotherhood is way satisfying than the FMA Original. Comparison between the ending says it all. However, the impact of FMA brotherhood on me might not have been like that, had I not been able to watch the FMA Original since there are some missing scenes on Brotherhood that further shows the character development of Key Characters.
If you think you are cooler than me then prove it, B*TCH!

kkslider5552000
Community Villain
Enjoys making videos that no one will watch

Post by kkslider5552000 »

yeah I have to say, I've been rewatching the first FMA series and despite never seeing Brotherhood, I can see that. The latter stuff in the first series really isn't as good after rewatching it.
Let's Play Bioshock Infinite: https://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f= ... 94#p879594

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Wii U ID: SliderGamer55
PokerFace312
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post by PokerFace312 »

mangaluva wrote: The School Days anime isn't anything like the manga at all- Makoto's character especially is pretty much unrecognizable, and Sekai and Kotonoha don't get off lightly either- but I'm not certain of which came first so I don't know if it counts.
According to Wikipedia the manga came first, so you're good. I agree with you though, I have't seen more than a few clips of the anime, but I read and somewhat enjoyed the manga while the anime just looks horrible. That and the fact that one of my favorite anime reviewers, Arkada, said that it was the worst anime he's ever seen...
My Fanfiction          My tumblr          My MAL
YumeTakato
Steadfast Heart of Gold

Post by YumeTakato »

Well, time to throw in my 2 cents. Other then Chrno Crusade and Frubu~

D.N.Angel tossed the manga out the window within the first episode. Literally. It sort of glanced over the first volume, shrugged, and started writing an entirely different plot. While some relationships worked the same... aaaurgh. Very little of the manga was used- except for the most depressing part at the time (the Ice and Snow arc). Some things from the manga were used, but not enough.

Karin/Chibi-Vampire went way of pasture in the anime as well. Characters were dead/entirely too OOC, and the AO's were... horrendous.

Full Moon wo Sagashite/Searching for Full Moon is another victim of AO's and barely-there-manga reference. The manga was far more emotionally driven then the anime.

The first 52(?) episodes Hayate no Gotoku! were also mostly AO, though with a series like HnG, it sort of works, though I preferred the second season much, much more.

Finally, it cannot be said enough how much the Naruto fillers destroy most of any enjoyment you can get from the series. The only ones I can say were vaguely worth it were the jinchuuriki related ones. Vaguely.

The only anime that (IMO) might be considered better then the manga was Princess Tutu (at least, season 1).

I think Pretear also left the manga, but I haven't watched/read either version in a while. It wasn't horrible, but there were serious differences.
Last edited by YumeTakato on February 9th, 2011, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arielrachel0527
Ouran FTW

Post by arielrachel0527 »

kkslider5552000 wrote: yeah I have to say, I've been rewatching the first FMA series and despite never seeing Brotherhood, I can see that. The latter stuff in the first series really isn't as good after rewatching it.
I'm watching FMA too and honestly, the AOs are horrible. I really am considering skipping this and jump right into Brotherhood.
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

ShinRanFTW wrote:
mangaluva wrote: The School Days anime isn't anything like the manga at all- Makoto's character especially is pretty much unrecognizable, and Sekai and Kotonoha don't get off lightly either- but I'm not certain of which came first so I don't know if it counts.
According to Wikipedia the manga came first, so you're good. I agree with you though, I have't seen more than a few clips of the anime, but I read and somewhat enjoyed the manga while the anime just looks horrible. That and the fact that one of my favorite anime reviewers, Arkada, said that it was the worst anime he's ever seen...
It kind of is. Read the full deconstruction below if you don't care about anime spoilers.
Spoiler:
Rather than being a story about a complicated emotional love triangle, Makoto's a sex maniac who asks Kotonoha out and then sleeps with, as far as I can tell, pretty much every other girl in their year because she's shy and won't even let him feel her up. Seriously, three of the bitchiest girls go around to Makoto's for a threesome at one point, with him totally for it and not caring that he's told both Kotonoha and Sekai that he loves them. And then Kotonoha gets raped by Makoto's creepy best friend, because Makoto went to dance with Sekai rather than meet her where they'd promised.

Then Makoto tells Kotonoha that he doesn't love her anymore the very next day, which causes her to break down entirely and wander around like a zombie repeating that Makoto is her boyfriend. Then he dumps Sekai when she turns out to be pregnant, runs into the zombified Kotonoha and gets freaked out, and then snogs her in front of Sekai when Sekai comes to beg him to stay with her, and then makes an appointment with the abortion clinic for Sekai even though she's declared that she loves him and wants to keep the baby.

Basically, Makoto isn't a nice guy who's trying not to hurt the two girls he's caught between, but a sex-obsessed utter bastard. Small wodner that in the final episode, Sekai goes mental and kills him with a knife when he tells her about the abortion appointment. And then Kotonoha, already more than a little mental, comes home and finds him, and then goes to meet Sekai, distracts her with Makoto's head in a bag and stabs her, ripping her stomach open and looking inside and claiming that she was lying about being pregnant to keep Makoto. The final shot of the anime shows Kotonoha drifting off to sea in a sailboat, hugging Makoto's head and mumbling about how they're "finally alone together".

Although that last episode was initially not broadcast in Japan, because the day before it was due to be shown a high school girl went mental and killed her father with an axe, and the tv station were like "too soon >_>" and showed half an hour of peaceful Norwegian scenery instead, including a shot of a yacht floating on a lake. Hence the "nice boat" meme from irritated fans.

Oh, and in between times the older girls at the high school sneak around filming the younger girls having sex with their boyfriends in various hidden places on the school grounds, and then show the tapes to the entire school, revealing at least one of Makoto's many paramours and ruining the reputation of about the only nice girl in the cast, who'd previously been shown to put a lot of work into getting the boy she was in love with to notice her.

So yeah, it's pretty nasty, everyone's a jerkass or a bitch, and the ending looks like it was shot by Quentin Tarantino. I'd reccomend the manga.
bluekaitou1412
Community Phantom
Indie artist. Likes books and all things Haibara.

Post by bluekaitou1412 »

YumeTakato wrote: The only anime that (IMO) might be considered better then the manga was Princess Tutu (at least, season 1).
Gintama :P

@mangaluva: I totally agree with you there, the characters in the anime were easy to hate and I did hate them especially that bastard Makoto (though, I'm kind of team Kotonoha so the manga's ending annoyed me a little bit :P)
Last edited by bluekaitou1412 on February 12th, 2011, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PokerFace312

Post by PokerFace312 »

mangaluva wrote:
ShinRanFTW wrote:
It kind of is. Read the full deconstruction below if you don't care about anime spoilers.
Spoiler:
Rather than being a story about a complicated emotional love triangle, Makoto's a sex maniac who asks Kotonoha out and then sleeps with, as far as I can tell, pretty much every other girl in their year because she's shy and won't even let him feel her up. Seriously, three of the bitchiest girls go around to Makoto's for a threesome at one point, with him totally for it and not caring that he's told both Kotonoha and Sekai that he loves them. And then Kotonoha gets raped by Makoto's creepy best friend, because Makoto went to dance with Sekai rather than meet her where they'd promised.

Then Makoto tells Kotonoha that he doesn't love her anymore the very next day, which causes her to break down entirely and wander around like a zombie repeating that Makoto is her boyfriend. Then he dumps Sekai when she turns out to be pregnant, runs into the zombified Kotonoha and gets freaked out, and then snogs her in front of Sekai when Sekai comes to beg him to stay with her, and then makes an appointment with the abortion clinic for Sekai even though she's declared that she loves him and wants to keep the baby.

Basically, Makoto isn't a nice guy who's trying not to hurt the two girls he's caught between, but a sex-obsessed utter bastard. Small wodner that in the final episode, Sekai goes mental and kills him with a knife when he tells her about the abortion appointment. And then Kotonoha, already more than a little mental, comes home and finds him, and then goes to meet Sekai, distracts her with Makoto's head in a bag and stabs her, ripping her stomach open and looking inside and claiming that she was lying about being pregnant to keep Makoto. The final shot of the anime shows Kotonoha drifting off to sea in a sailboat, hugging Makoto's head and mumbling about how they're "finally alone together".

Although that last episode was initially not broadcast in Japan, because the day before it was due to be shown a high school girl went mental and killed her father with an axe, and the tv station were like "too soon >_>" and showed half an hour of peaceful Norwegian scenery instead, including a shot of a yacht floating on a lake. Hence the "nice boat" meme from irritated fans.

Oh, and in between times the older girls at the high school sneak around filming the younger girls having sex with their boyfriends in various hidden places on the school grounds, and then show the tapes to the entire school, revealing at least one of Makoto's many paramours and ruining the reputation of about the only nice girl in the cast, who'd previously been shown to put a lot of work into getting the boy she was in love with to notice her.

So yeah, it's pretty nasty, everyone's a jerkass or a bitch, and the ending looks like it was shot by Quentin Tarantino. I'd reccomend the manga.
Okay, yeah. Anime ruined it. And the last scene in the anime
Spoiler:
(where Makoto and Sekai are killed)
is acutally what got me to read the manga, yet I preferred the manga ending and even found it a bit scarier.
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

ShinRanFTW wrote:
mangaluva wrote:
ShinRanFTW wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
is acutally what got me to read the manga, yet I preferred the manga ending and even found it a bit scarier.
It was quite worrying.
Spoiler:
Sekai was clearly mental, but in a quiet, cheery way, and you worry about Makoto's ambiguous fate in a relationship with her. Also, the suddenness and offscreen nature of Kotonoha's death was quite shaking.
PokerFace312

Post by PokerFace312 »

mangaluva wrote:
ShinRanFTW wrote:
mangaluva wrote:
ShinRanFTW wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It was quite worrying.
Spoiler:
Sekai was clearly mental, but in a quiet, cheery way, and you worry about Makoto's ambiguous fate in a relationship with her. Also, the suddenness and offscreen nature of Kotonoha's death was quite shaking.
Agreed. I also loved the last page where they
Spoiler:
showed the phone and talked about the charm.
Very creepy.
mangaluva

Post by mangaluva »

ShinRanFTW wrote:
mangaluva wrote:
ShinRanFTW wrote:
mangaluva wrote:
ShinRanFTW wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It was quite worrying.
Spoiler:
Agreed. I also loved the last page where they
Spoiler:
showed the phone and talked about the charm.
Very creepy.
Especially since it was just a cute, quirky little charm at the start...
Vylash

Post by Vylash »

Sup Rave Master.
bluekaitou1412
Community Phantom
Indie artist. Likes books and all things Haibara.

Post by bluekaitou1412 »

Parkur wrote: Sup Rave Master.
This >:(